Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
What ever happened to, 30 minutes or it's free pizza?

What ever happened to, 30 minutes and less, or it's a free pizza!

Has anybody actually gotten a free pizza before, for getting one later than 30 mins?

I've heard why don't do this anymore, is because of many reasons, I'm just trying to figure out which is the real reason behind it....
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
The reason I always heard is that this policy encouraged drivers to take unneccessary risks, and the marketing boost wasn't worth the danger to life and limb. Which makes sense.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I got free pizza during college in the '80s.

Then there were a bunch of car accidents and Dominos dropped the policy and every other pizza place followed suit.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent View Post
The reason I always heard is that this policy encouraged drivers to take unneccessary risks, and the marketing boost wasn't worth the danger to life and limb.
Or rather, the companies got tired of dealing with lawsuits from people who got into accidents with pizza delivery drivers who were speeding to get to someone's house. Wikipedia says Domino's ended its policy in 1993 for that reason.

[Modding] I've moved this to Cafe Society from Great Debates. I don't think it's a GD topic. [/Modding]
Old 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Excellent View Post
The reason I always heard is that this policy encouraged drivers to take unneccessary risks, and the marketing boost wasn't worth the danger to life and limb. Which makes sense.
Or rather, the companies got tired of dealing with lawsuits from people who got into accidents with pizza delivery drivers who were speeding to get to someone's house. Wikipedia says Domino's ended its policy in 1993 for that reason.
This is correct.

It was actually discontinued on a region-by-region and franchisee-by-franchisee basis first, before the sweeping general policy change. The store where I worked dropped the practice as far back as 1984 - After two drivers died and another was seriously injured in single-car accidents.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
IIRC, it caused too may accidents or near accidents (i.e there were safety issues with people racing to beat the clock).

And yes...I've gotten free pizza before when Domino's failed to get me my pizza on time. It's been a long time (hell, it's been a long time since I ordered a Domino's pizza for that matter...since college I think).

-XT
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I was eligible for a free pizza once in the late 1980s. I got the impression that the driver was somehow getting screwed.

:: Ding-dong ::

Me: "Oh, hi. Let me—'
Delivery Guy: "I'amsorryyourpizzaislateyougettohaveitforfree."
Me: "Uh.... It's like $12.50, right?"

The guy was probably only five minutes late. Like, no biggie. If we were starving we wouldn't have ordered something we'd have to wait for. The guy looked miserable. I figure he was either going to get docked for the pizza, or was going to get fired. I paid for the pizza in any case. It seemed kind of dumb to make the driver crazy for five minutes.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM
The driver wasn't directly being screwed, but a 'free' pizza did count indirectly against his nightly commission. It worked like this: The driver's commission was to pay for fuel and depreciation, rather than giving them a higher wage and a milage reembursement. Comission was (at my store) 6% of sales - That is, the pies delivered by that driver. Coupons counted against sales, and a free pizza came in under the heading of 'coupon.' So, essentially, the driver would lose six percent of the value of the pizza from his shift commission.

Not a huge bite, but you could also count on getting an ass-chewing for failing to make the delivery on time. That was often much more of an incentive to drive fast than the actual monetary hit.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 AM
I had a teacher in high school who used to deliver pizzas when he was a teen, and he echoed pretty much what others have said here - there were too many accidents.

And, yes, he said a lot of customers took the pledge pretty seriously. He even knew of a few people who started a stopwatch as soon as they hung up the phone.

Last edited by joebuck20; 01-19-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
And, yes, he said a lot of customers took the pledge pretty seriously. He even knew of a few people who started a stopwatch as soon as they hung up the phone.
Yup. And you very quickly learned who they were. If the phone counter called out "Blackwood!" or "215 Warren!*" the guys on the makeline would move that pie to the head of the queue, and the manager would start looking for a driver to hold in-store until the pie came out and was boxed. In Balckwood's case, we also immediately knew the order and address. That guy would call up, and say "This is Blackwood" then hang up. His order was always the same**, on the same days, at the same time - Most of the time, we'd have a skin already loaded for him and ready to be sauced. But he tipped well, too.

* Yeah, more than 25 years later, I still remember some customers.

** Large extra-thin, light sauce, light cheese, well-done.

Last edited by Tranquilis; 01-19-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: word choice
Old 01-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquilis View Post
In Balckwood's case, we also immediately knew the order and address. That guy would call up, and say "This is Blackwood" then hang up.
Why is this so funny to me? Hilarious.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
'Cause it sounds like something from a bad spy novel..?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Ha ha, maybe. Plus I can't imagine ordering so much pizza that all I have to say is my last name, and then hang up.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I find it hilarious too. I think it's because it's simultaneously ridiculous and logical.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Charter Member
But if a guy calls up and says 'This is Torchwood', do you know what the order is? Is he particularly serious about getting the pie in thirty minutes?
Join today!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
Ha ha, maybe. Plus I can't imagine ordering so much pizza that all I have to say is my last name, and then hang up.
It was the customer, not the frequency. He ordered on Thursdays and Saturdays, which made him a regular, but there were plenty of regulars I can no longer recall.

Nooo... In Blackwood's case, it was the man, and his order, that made it work like that. First, his order - Extra thin, light sauce, light cheese, well-done, is actually pretty tricky to make right.* He did inspect the pie before paying - every time - and was quite happy to reject it if it didn't live up to his standards. He was fussy and precise. His timing was precise, too - 6:45pm, every time. Then, finally, it was the consistency - I don't think he missed an order in three years.

The guy at Torchwood gets a dirty gym sock on his pie.

* Take a large screen and small skin, then spin it out to 50% over the screen size without tearing it or making the center too thin. Screen the skin, and cut away the excess dough. Carefully apply the thinnest possible coating of sauce, realizing that too much will turn the desiered very crisp crust into a soggly, limp rag. Every-so-carefully dust the pie with a light coating of cheese. Dial back the speed on the overn conveyor by 10%, and put the pie in the oven. Make damn sure that no bubbles form. Carefully remove the pie from the screen without letting it stick to the screen or tearing the pie. You should have at that point a 16" circular tomato-cheese cracker. To be cut Chicago-style.

Last edited by Tranquilis; 01-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Quote:
During the late 1970s, my brother was listed in the Kansas City White Pages as "M. Python" (they charged for an unlisted number, but you could specify how you wished to be listed for free). He had a standing order at the local Minsky's and call in "Pizza for Python!" with confidence.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
To be cut Chicago-style.
Why did you have to take off your pants to cut the pizza?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Former, recovering, single male here. A typical day ending in "Y" conversation with the pizza place was this:

Pizza Place: "Thank you for calling Bottom's Up, will this be carry-out or delivery?"

Me: Delivery. Spit residence.

Pizza Place: [Hand over phone]Spit residence[/Hand over phone] Anything extra?

Me: Nah. Oh wait...There's a chick here. Bring napkins.

Pizza Place: It will be about 30 minutes.

I tipped well.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
NOT tellin'.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
I thought Chicago-style was where he puts one of yours in the hospital, and then you put one of his in the morgue.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Pizza Place: [Hand over phone]Spit residence[/Hand over phone] Anything extra?

Me: Nah. Oh wait...There's a chick here. Bring napkins.
Classy!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Classy!
I didn't need her getting her greasy hands all over my air mattress. It was already hard enough to maintain a grip.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
But if a guy calls up and says 'This is Torchwood', do you know what the order is? Is he particularly serious about getting the pie in thirty minutes?
I'd show up in five minutes hoping Doctor Who was there.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I hate to ask what you've been doing "Chicago Style".

In case there was an actual question, Chicagoans like their pizza cut in squares, unless it's sold by-the-slice.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
"Before we go any further, who the hell orders pizza under the name of 'Torchwood'?"

"Er, yeah, that would be me. Sorry, I’m a twat."
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
One can rest assured that he owns a stopwatch, though he's not necessarily using it to time his pizza...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
BANNED
do they really call the crust "skin"

gross
Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
So you're saying it's bad that my pizza delivery person carries treats specifically for my dogs?

When we first moved here 3 or 4 years ago he was terrified of dogs but apparently the eyes got him. Dogs like pizza nights almost as much we do now
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
That guy would call up, and say "This is Blackwood" then hang up.
If he was handsome enough, he wouldn't even have to dial - he'd just pick up the phone.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
If he was handsome enough, he wouldn't even have to dial - he'd just pick up the phone.
No, has to be interesting enough.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post

gross
The big spatula they handle the pies with is a called a peel. How's that work for you.

I''m getting seriously Whooshed but this whole Torchwood thing.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Yay! This made me laugh even more than the Blackwood thing. I can't believe how funny this thread turned out to be.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Great, now I'm hungry.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
The big spatula they handle the pies with is a called a peel. How's that work for you.

I''m getting seriously Whooshed but this whole Torchwood thing.
As the person who brought it up, I guess I should explain.

In the pilot of the British Doctor who spin-off 'Torchwood' (still the only episode of the show I've actually watched,) the main character is trying to track down the mysterious Torchwood three team. She finds out that they call for delivery with the local 'Jubilee Pizza', under the name of Torchwood, and ends up playing the part of the delivery person to get inside. (It turns out that they knew about her little ploy, but let her come in anyway.)

There's apparently some other references to the pizza later in the series, and the stopwatch thing is a dirty joke that I entirely didn't plan to unleash, because I had no clue it was there - honest!

Last edited by chrisk; 01-19-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post

gross
Yup. Pizza skins - Until they're assembled, then they become 'pies.'
Old 01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Not even remotely. Crusty old dude. Kinda weathered and dried-out.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Quote:
As the person who brought it up, I guess I should explain.

In the pilot of the British Doctor who spin-off 'Torchwood' (still the only episode of the show I've actually watched,) the main character is trying to track down the mysterious Torchwood three team. She finds out that they call for delivery with the local 'Jubilee Pizza', under the name of Torchwood, and ends up playing the part of the delivery person to get inside. (It turns out that they knew about her little ploy, but let her come in anyway.)

There's apparently some other references to the pizza later in the series, and the stopwatch thing is a dirty joke that I entirely didn't plan to unleash, because I had no clue it was there - honest!
And from the few episodes I've seen, part of the joke is that Torchwood appears to be the worst secret organization ever. As in, they order pizzas to their secret hideout under the name "Torchwood", they travel around the city chasing down aliens and ghosts and what not in a big black van labeled "Torchwood", at one point they even ask a bystander if she'd seen any aliens. I'm pretty sure the whole show is pretty much a very British satire on the Men In Black, with the Dr. Who setting just being a bonus.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
And from the few episodes I've seen, part of the joke is that Torchwood appears to be the worst secret organization ever. As in, they order pizzas to their secret hideout under the name "Torchwood", they travel around the city chasing down aliens and ghosts and what not in a big black van labeled "Torchwood", at one point they even ask a bystander if she'd seen any aliens. I'm pretty sure the whole show is pretty much a very British satire on the Men In Black, with the Dr. Who setting just being a bonus.
...Torchwood pizza scene:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q1w17ChtJjg

Bonus: "Bloody Torchwood."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-M9fL9YsU6A

Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
BANNED
hold on, messed it up

Last edited by BigBertha; 01-20-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
BANNED
I never got a free pizza. Once, Pizza Hut took 3 hours for mine to come. They wouldn't even offer a discount!

Last edited by BigBertha; 01-20-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: this is Blackwood
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBertha View Post
Old 01-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
Well, they do have those pills that make everyone forget. That was a main plot point in a couple of the episodes I've actually seen. Though they are a little less convenient than the flashers.

Last edited by BigT; 01-20-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
I still order Dominos from time to time and have invented remote control pizza. They have a web site now that you can log into and make an account for ordering that remembers your last order and I always get the same thing, so my last order is this order too. I have a link to the page and my account on the home screen of my iPhone and I can hit it while playing video games and usually the pizza is at my door in less than 20 minutes since they're basically across the street from my house.

I have nearly perfected "Push Button - Receive Pizza". Now if only they could stop and get beer too.....
Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
I still order Dominos from time to time and have invented remote control pizza. They have a web site now that you can log into and make an account for ordering that remembers your last order and I always get the same thing, so my last order is this order too. I have a link to the page and my account on the home screen of my iPhone and I can hit it while playing video games and usually the pizza is at my door in less than 20 minutes since they're basically across the street from my house.

I have nearly perfected "Push Button - Receive Pizza". Now if only they could stop and get beer too.....
That's the only reason to get married.

Whereas I used to have to actually call the pizza place to get my pizza (and sometimes napkins), and then walk across the street to get my beer; Now I just say my Wife's name, her number is dialed. Then I say "Hey, grab a pizza on me, babe. Oh, and you know what would be even better? If we had some cold suds. You can pick some up? Great! See you in a bit.", and a pizza and beer are delivered.

Granted, it takes a bit longer than simply pushing a button, but being completely hands free, I just headshot you while you were looking at your iPhone screen.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBertha View Post
I never got a free pizza. Once, Pizza Hut took 3 hours for mine to come. They wouldn't even offer a discount!
Three hours is obviously way beyond the boundaries of reason. Call the store and ask to speak with the RGM. If he/she doesn’t give you a full refund on the purchase, go online and fill out the complaint form. They actually read these things—all the chains do. Somebody will get a podo-rectal implant over it.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Charter Member
Anyone who has enjoyed this thread should immediately go read (or re-read) the first two chapters of Snow Crash.

Domino's has got nothing on Uncle Enzo's CosaNostra Pizza.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluricaun View Post
Don't forget the napkins, or you'll never get chicks!

Chicks dig the napkins.