Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Charter Member
Does any airline still allow smoking?

I'm sure this question has been asked before in GQ, but since things are always changing in the travel world, I figured it was safe to ask again.

Do any airlines allow smoking? I've always assumed that Asian airlines allow smoking, but not sure if this is still the case. How about on very long international flights?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
All Chinese airlines ban it, and smoking is huge there. I think it is some international regulation.

In America, I'm pretty sure it is flat out banned on commercial flights.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Not to my knowledge, even Asian airlines carry international passengers. From what I remember Australia wont let a plane land that allows smoking.

Smoking in airports varies, in Australia not within the buildings, in Singapore on the roof of the building in an outside bar, in London allowed in special smoking areas, in Madrid yep in the airport but not on tarmac, in Canary Islands as soon as you exit the plane!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
It is also banned on Air Koryo (North Korean Airlines)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
According to something that I read somewhere on the Interweb, smoking is not only bad for the people, but bad for the aircraft too. Allegedly, the tar and other crap in cigarette smoke tended to gunk up and reduce the useful life of the cabin outflow valve, which is used to regulate cabin pressure. If that is in fact true, I guess that's another incentive for the airlines to ban smoking.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
In America, I'm pretty sure it is flat out banned on commercial flights.
The first restrictions on smoking aboard commercial aircraft in the US began in 1973 be the Civil Aeronautics Board. The current statute was enacted in 1989 and significantly upgraded in 2000. Actual specifics, with addendums and modification are available from http://federalregister.gov/artic...d-aircraft#p-9
Old 01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
I've flown on Indian airlines (domestic and international) several times within the past eight years, and I've never been on one where smoking was permitted.

Official data to back up my lame-ass anecdotal evidence:

Air India: no smoking allowed

Jet Airways: no smoking allowed

Kingfisher Airlines: no smoking allowed

IndiGo: no smoking allowed

I'm starting to sense a pattern here.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 AM
I understand both Johnny Depp and Sean Penn insist on being flown via corporate jet so they can smoke all the way. Joni Mitchell reportedly nearly bankrupted a music festival with her insistence that they had to fly her in one one so she wouldn't have to have a break in her nicotine intake.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM
Charter Member
A question for smokers; is it a viable alternative to use a nicotine patch for the duration of the flight? Or how about those e-cigarettes?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
A question for smokers; is it a viable alternative to use a nicotine patch for the duration of the flight? Or how about those e-cigarettes?
e-cigarettes were prohibited on the Southwest flight I was on yesterday.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
I used the patch on long flights to Asia. Worked good for me.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I understand both Johnny Depp and Sean Penn insist on being flown via corporate jet so they can smoke all the way. Joni Mitchell reportedly nearly bankrupted a music festival with her insistence that they had to fly her in one one so she wouldn't have to have a break in her nicotine intake.
Even then, it can be difficult to find a charter aircraft whose owner will allow smoking on board. That stink is impossible to get rid of. The airplane I fly is nearly 25 years old, and I can tell by looking into one of the small venturi outflow ports on the side of the fuselage that someone somewhere along the line smoked. When our guy bought the airplane he completely gutted the interior, so there is no stink anymore.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:43 AM
I checked Aeroflot.

Quote:
Taking care about the health, safety and comfort of the passengers and for creation of clean environment on board, we prohibited smoking on board as it is standard on board of leading international airlines worldwide.

Smoking onboard, including electronic cigarettes, it is forbidden.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
in Madrid yep in the airport but not on tarmac
I was highly entertained when I flew into Madrid by listening to the announcement in the airport, first in Spanish then in English, that they were required by law to inform you that you could smoke in the airport, but out of consideration for others, please only do so in the designated areas.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM
When my friends and I flew from London to Rome on Ryanair in November 2009, they sold smokeless cigarettes in flight. Two of my companions were smokers so they bought some and "smoked" them right then and there.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
e-cigarettes were prohibited on the Southwest flight I was on yesterday.
I've made several trips in First Class on Delta, both international & domestic with only a handful of FA's making any remark. The grumpier coach FA's don't like anyone to have a remotely decent flight, so they gripe early & often, or sometimes airlines like oh, I don't know- Delta- prohibit e-cigs. In which case I simply go Mission Impossible using various disguises, stealth, and trickery to gain entry to the lavatory. I also have a technique that involves the very risky and clandestine maneuver, "Holding your breath". There is nothing to exhale from an e-cig after about 10 seconds.

Oh yeah, that's right you nicotine haters- I am right there beside you and you don't even know it. On a plane. In a theater. In a restaurant. In the office.

And there are millions of me.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Oh yeah, that's right you nicotine haters- I am right there beside you and you don't even know it. On a plane. In a theater. In a restaurant. In the office.
It's not the nicotine, it's the tar, carbon monoxide, arsenic and all the other toxins that get wafted around. Chew nicotine gum or suck on lozenges if you need the drug for the time you're in a shared environment.

How is it that smokers can spend 8 hours or so asleep with no smoking, but can't spend a couple of hours awake without refraining?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Fruit View Post
It's not the nicotine, it's the tar, carbon monoxide, arsenic and all the other toxins that get wafted around. Chew nicotine gum or suck on lozenges if you need the drug for the time you're in a shared environment.

How is it that smokers can spend 8 hours or so asleep with no smoking, but can't spend a couple of hours awake without refraining?
I used to smoke...and this is actually a good question.

I would need a cigarette or two at least every couple hours during the day, but I never found myself needing one after I'd gone to bed, and not even if I woke up in the middle of the night. And I could usually go an hour or two after I woke up in the morning before I really wanted a cigarette.

I wonder why that is.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Quote:
It's not the nicotine, it's the tar, carbon monoxide, arsenic and all the other toxins that get wafted around.
Right. That is why there is an increasing uproar over e-cigs.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Charter Member
I haven't seen an in seat ashtray on a 737 in at least 5 years. The last was I believe a plane built for a middle eastern charter airline. The wierd part is that most lavatories still have ashtrays. I was told it was cheaper to leave the ashtrays in new lavs, it was not cost effective to rework the tooling to remove them.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Charter Member
Does any airline still allow smoking?

Well, SMINTAIR had planned to allow it (if not actaully encourage smoking). Alas, it never got off the ground.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Quote:

Electric cigarettes don't combust. They're vaporizers. There is no smoke. There is no tar. No CO or Arsenic or malodorous... odors. No puppy murdering. Just vapor. I've been smoking my ecig at work the past few days and it smells vaguely like berries for a couple seconds, then it dissapates and smells like nothing. I've smoked it in my room for hours the past 2 days and there is no odor. Even when I leave and come back. And despite being a now-former cig smoker, my sense of smell is finely-tuned.

It's like sex, only I'm having it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Although it was non-binding, ICAO passed a resolution back in 1992 (IIRC) urging Contracting States to ban smoking on all international flights by the end of 1996.

Many States had already begun the process of banning smoking on domestic flights - the USA ban came into effect on shot haul flights in 1988 and was extended to longer flights later on, with a complete smoking ban on international flights to and from the USA in 2000. Canada, Australia and most of Western Europe passed laws around the same timeline, and signed bilateral agreements with each other agreeing to enforcing the bans.

I suspect that most of the Contracting States (and I know there were 190 of them as of August 2010) have agreements with one or more countries that ban smoking on international flights, thereby effectively banning them in those countries even if there is no law stating so. I don't know about domestic flights in all countries, though.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Charter Member
If you sit out on the wing, they will let you smoke.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
Electric cigarettes don't combust. They're vaporizers. There is no smoke. There is no tar. No CO or Arsenic or malodorous... odors. No puppy murdering. Just vapor. I've been smoking my ecig at work the past few days and it smells vaguely like berries for a couple seconds, then it dissapates and smells like nothing. I've smoked it in my room for hours the past 2 days and there is no odor. Even when I leave and come back. And despite being a now-former cig smoker, my sense of smell is finely-tuned.

It's like sex, only I'm having it.
Okay, my post was a bit mealy mouthed in response in a GD thread. But I still wonder, why can't smokers abstain for the duration of the flight? When I was a smoker, I did some 10-11 hour flights, which with the departure and arrival processing would turn into 12 hours or more. No smoking on the flights and for some time on arrival but only having normal cravings immediately before being able to satisfy them.

This is mostly rhetorical, so don't worry about having to respond.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kiwi Fruit; 01-21-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Make my wording more humble.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Okay, my post was a bit mealy mouthed in response in a GD thread. But I still wonder, why can't smokers abstain for the duration of the flight? When I was a smoker, I did some 10-11 hour flights, which with the departure and arrival processing would turn into 12 hours or more. No smoking on the flights and for some time on arrival but only having normal cravings immediately before being able to satisfy them.

This is mostly rhetorical, so don't worry about having to respond.

Cheers.
Why do people need caffeine first thing in the morning? I'm a coffee drinker, but I can wait until well after noon for a cup.

I find it hard to believe you much more than a social smoker if you are going 12+ hours with little more than "normal cravings".
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Back OT, I recall Air New Zealand used to allow smoking on flights on the Japan/NZ route until comparatively recently- 2001 or thereabouts, I think.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Spanish airlines can not allow smoking, by law. This isn't from the one enacted last January 1st, it has been in place for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
in Madrid yep in the airport but not on tarmac
And in theory that was in restricted areas, but those are just marked by huge posters - no "fishbowl".

I'm not sure how the new anti-tobacco regulations affect airports but IIUC it's now forbidden to smoke anywhere that's a workplace. I know there are problems with their implementation because they're sloppy as all get-go (they don't define what constitutes an "enclosed space", don't assign specific penalties, don't state which police forces/government levels are responsible for enforcing them; there's a request to clarify whether a private home will be counted as "a workplace" when there are people working there such as cleaning staff or plumbers), so there are a lot of things which will need a second part to this law in order to make it valid and enforceable.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:52 AM
I took advantage of the no smoking policy on a long haul flight from Australia to Europe and gave up smoking. Mind you, I had syked myself up for it though months before, but it worked (Y)
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezzaAU View Post
I took advantage of the no smoking policy on a long haul flight from Australia to Europe and gave up smoking. Mind you, I had syked myself up for it though months before, but it worked (Y)
welcome...csb!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spit View Post
Right. That is why there is an increasing uproar over e-cigs.
Huh? Precisely, e-cigs might contain nicotine but don't produce tar, carbon monoxide, etc..

Last edited by clairobscur; 11-03-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
I was highly entertained when I flew into Madrid by listening to the announcement in the airport, first in Spanish then in English, that they were required by law to inform you that you could smoke in the airport, but out of consideration for others, please only do so in the designated areas.
I know this is an old post but you totally misunderstood the anouncement. They never said that.

Madrid-Barajas airport has prohibited smoking (except in designated areas) for many many years now. Many. It was not seriously enforced until January 2006 when the new anti-tobacco law came into effect and since then it has been enforced.

Before that, whenever I went to wait for someone at the airport I was in the habit of filing a complaint with the airport authorities that the ban was not being enforced. I have filed many such complaints and the replies are a joke. it is not our responsibility, it is the police. it is not the police but the airport. It is not us it is the Department of Health... In the meanwhile everybody smoked.

About 2003 there was a cop (Guardia Civil) smoking right under the sign that said "smoking prohibited" and it just made for the perfect photo which would capture the essence and soul of Spain. I pulled out my camera ready to take the photo but he saw me and told me "no photos allowed". Thus a great photo opportunity was missed. I should have been more discrete.

At any rate, the law of 2006 changed attitudes and enforcement in Spain. I guarantee the airport in Madrid, like all other public buildings, prohibits smoking and will enforce it.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I checked Aeroflot.
Well, that's a welcome change from the bad old days of the USSR. I had the embassy book me into non-smoking on one flight, and as soon as the plane took off the Russian next to me lit up one of those really nasty Russian cigarettes that was mostly cabbage. I finally flagged down the "attendant", who grudgingly dragged herself over and stood glaring at me. I pointed to my ticket and to the guy next to me smoking and said "No smoking!" while using hand gestures to help explain. She gave me a withering look, pointed to my seat and said "No smoke!", then pointed to his seat and said "Smoke!"
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
I checked Aeroflot.
And, ironically, since the ban, airlines don't refresh the cabin air as much as they used to, rather they just recirculate it and only bring in fresh air when the internal quality drops too much.

(PDF) http://dl.tufts.edu/file_assets/tufts:UA084.2023216841
Old 11-04-2013, 05:58 AM
The first time I ever set foot in an aeroplane that didn't have a little sign telling the passengers to put out their cigarettes was this summer on board a Boeing 787 Dreamliner,
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendrask View Post
And, ironically, since the ban, airlines don't refresh the cabin air as much as they used to, rather they just recirculate it and only bring in fresh air when the internal quality drops too much.

But that does not have to do with the smoking ban per se, but rather with the later models of aircraft using more recirculation to save on fuel and systems. And the article is from 20 years ago, the trend is allegedly (slightly) reversed with the current generation.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendrask View Post

Interesting because that makes the no smoking policy a fuel savings as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Huh? Precisely, e-cigs might contain nicotine but don't produce tar, carbon monoxide, etc..
But the vapor released does contain particulate matter for which we do not know what the health effects are.

If a non-smoker is in a small space with a bunch of people smoking e-cigs - its still nasty. The vapor smells and clings to clothes. Not as bad as cigarettes - vast improvement over that. But it still isn't pleasant.

Which reminds me, I need to pull my wool sweater out of the garage where its been airing for two weeks.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:19 AM
I'll confirm a few years ago, flew Chinese airlines inside the country. One passenger had her 1 year old daughter sitting bottomless on her lap (where she managed to pee on the passenger beside her) but no smoking on any flights.

Similarly, on recent trips, Turkish Airlines, Pegasus, Royal Jordanian and Egyptair - no smoking happening on any of those flights. IIRC it was explicitly forbidden.

Not aware of any western airline that allows it.

Last edited by md2000; 11-04-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
IIUC the e-cigarette has a heating element in it to vaporize the liquid inside. What other electric/electronic atomizers are permitted aboard aircraft?
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Of course, if they were going to disallow lighters and matches on board, thanks to the shoe bomber, why and how would they allow smoking anyway?

But seems to me it's been generally disallowed anywhere. China has some very nice, very big airport terminals nowadays and I don't recall anyone being allowed to smoke in the general public areas in any of those either.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
If any airlines still allow smoking, it's going to be one on this dated (2003) list.

http://hem.passagen.se/fungus/airlines.html

I see scattered threads on airline and travel forums that say Air Cubana still allows smoking.

My guess: if any others still do, they're probably small independent airlines in Africa, like something that would fly into Mogadishu.

Last edited by elmwood; 11-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa View Post
But the vapor released does contain particulate matter for which we do not know what the health effects are.

If a non-smoker is in a small space with a bunch of people smoking e-cigs - its still nasty. The vapor smells and clings to clothes. Not as bad as cigarettes - vast improvement over that. But it still isn't pleasant.
Are you talking from your own experience??? IME e-cigs vapour smell ranges from non-existent to sligthly reminiscent of whatever the e-cig is flavoured at (coffee, fruit, etc..) and even in the latter case doesn't linger on. Vastly less noticeable than, for instance, people's anti-perspirant or perfume.

I strongly doubt that you could smell it on your clothes, especially two weeks later.

Last edited by clairobscur; 11-05-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairobscur View Post
Are you talking from your own experience??? IME e-cigs vapour smell ranges from non-existent to sligthly reminiscent of whatever the e-cig is flavoured at (coffee, fruit, etc..) and even in the latter case doesn't linger on. Vastly less noticeable than, for instance, people's anti-perspirant or perfume.

I strongly doubt that you could smell it on your clothes, especially two weeks later.

I started a poll there.