Old 03-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Steam room etiquette - nudity acceptable?

Etiquette isn't the right word...here' the deal.....

Local health club/fitness center owned by the hospital. Steam room in the male locker room.

The rules from day one stated that a swim suit is required. Rule was pretty much ignored for about three years.

Steam room was down for about three weeks fixing a mechanical issue. It's up again with new posted rules including a warning that the swim suit rule will be enforced.

Question........ what is common? What is acceptable accoriding to the health standards that a hospital should adhere to?

If this whole thing is the result of a prudish squeeky wheel I'm going to start squeeking myself.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM
What would anyone gain by being nude?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Bathing suit? Prudishness.

Last edited by Muffin; 03-12-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 AM
It will it will depend on where you are, local laws and what not. But if the hospital has a sign that says a swim suit is needed in their steam room, then you need to wear a swim suit in their steam room.

If you want to be in an all male steam room naked, I suggest you try a nearby gay bath house, fun times.

I worked at a bath house in Hollywood, Ca, back in the early ‘90s. The things I saw.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:14 AM
<anecdote>
A couple of years ago I was skiing in Austria, and the hotel had a fancy sauna/steam room/spa in the basement. Swimming costumes were totally forbidden. The locals happily wandered around the whole spa area naked, not just in the steam rooms and saunas themselves, but in my prudish British way I wrapped myself as best I could in the teeny-tiny towel they provided.

So I was sat in the steam room, on the towel, with the end of the towel covering my lap. One of the spa attendents peered in, opened the door, looked straight at me and said: "English?" I nodded, and he barked "No towel!" then leant forward and used the handle of his mop to lift my towel off my lap.
</anecdote>
Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I've been a member of the local YMCA for 30 years and use the steam room and sauna. I would say 99% of the users are nude. We sit on a towel or our gym trunks so the nails in the wood don't burn our rear ends. lol.
Don't see the point of wearing something because you go to the shower after you leave the rooms. If you're not embarrassed taking showers nude there is no problem sitting nude in another room.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Charter Member
What is common?

In my health club, and every private club I've been to, almost all men use the sauna and steam room nude sitting on a towel. Some wrap towels around themselves. In an environment where it's a little more public, like a community center or a hotel, people are probably more self-conscious and you would see more bathing suits. I don't know why, you'll have to ask a behavioral psychologist. I've never been anyplace where it's required.

Once I was visiting a friend in Münster, Germany, and we visited her racquet club. To make a long story short, in the sauna there, nobody wore anything and there were men and women in the same sauna.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I thought everyone sat around in towels....
Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 AM
I have heard of some places where they require you to sit on a towel - after all, a stream room can be an incubator for bacteria if it's not hot enough. (Plus the comment about nails).

In North America, people have different ideas about nudity than some European countries. Basically, if a facility says "swimsuit mandatory" and then says "rule WILL be enforced" my guess is they want people to use swimsuits. My guess is that a significant number of the guests are uncomfortable about nudity with strangers; since "gay bathhouse" is the stereotypical venue for that activity in this continent and homophobia is rampant. (or the YMCA - see an earlier thread about nude swimming in the YMCA, which I always wondered about).

I can see the health appeal of letting it all swing free, but not indoors in an all-male setting.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I've never been in a steam room where others were covered up. Presumably you're in there to get exposed to steam. Covering up with a swim suit or towel limits that exposure. Plus, the towel would become soaked (with condensed water and sweat) after a while and disgusting to wear.

Just seems silly, like wearing a bathing suit while you shower. I guess you should be allowed to if you are really shy, but why require others to do so?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
I have heard of some places where they require you to sit on a towel - after all, a stream room can be an incubator for bacteria if it's not hot enough.

Like I said above, the towels become disgusting after a while. And men being men, are going to toss them into the corner of the steam room after they become sweat-soaked. The towel will become funky and stink up the whole room. With no towels, sweat and cooties can just drain away.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
Like I said above, the towels become disgusting after a while. And men being men, are going to toss them into the corner of the steam room after they become sweat-soaked. The towel will become funky and stink up the whole room. With no towels, sweat and cooties can just drain away.
Most such places - spas, gyms, pools, etc - have a towel service; used towels are just tossed into a cart and laundered after one use. OTOH, wood absorbs water and its contents to some extent. Non-wood, painted or varnished wood can be painful to sit on, and will peel after a while. Plus, you have no idea how clean the previous posterior was (men being men). Yes, towel on wood is not perfect, but it's a step above and also insulates you a bit from what may come back up from the wood.

Presumably places that do not require towels scrub the benches with some cleanser, not just hose them down. So you only have to worry what sat there since the last cleansing.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM
BANNED
My health club has a dry and a wet steam room. The dry seems to have a bit less nudes. The wet users are mostly nude.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
Most such places - spas, gyms, pools, etc - have a towel service; used towels are just tossed into a cart and laundered after one use. OTOH, wood absorbs water and its contents to some extent. Non-wood, painted or varnished wood can be painful to sit on, and will peel after a while. Plus, you have no idea how clean the previous posterior was (men being men). Yes, towel on wood is not perfect, but it's a step above and also insulates you a bit from what may come back up from the wood.

Presumably places that do not require towels scrub the benches with some cleanser, not just hose them down. So you only have to worry what sat there since the last cleansing.
I thought were are only talking about steam rooms, not saunas. I've never seen a steam room that wasn't all tile. That's what I'm thinking about in my posts above.

In a sauna, I'd sit on a towel to catch my own sweat and avoid any nails that might be poking up. But I still wouldn't wear a swim suit.

I've only ever seen wooden benches in a dry sauna. Sure, people like to dump water on the heating element, but the resulting steam evaporates almost instantly.

Quote:
My health club has a dry and a wet steam room.
A dry steam room? Is that anything like a jumbo shrimp?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Nudity is always acceptable for young women in good physical condition. Everybody else should cover themselves.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 PM
It depends upon the policy of the club. The "Y's" and JCC's I've been a member of did not require any attire. MUSC'S "Wellness Center" (actually the Harper Student Center) requires some kind of cover-up, except when showering, whether a towel or swimming trunks. I now belong to Gold's Gym, and they have the same requirement. There's always someone who believes he is above the rules and sits in the sauna naked. Not my place to say anything. Perhaps he is illiterate and cannot read the sign.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I usually at least sit on a towel as a courtesy to my butt germs don't get steamed into the bench, and I don't get any butt germs from somebody else, regardless of the actual rule there.

I usually go to the ones in Korea, and nudity/non-nudity is totally up to each person.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
<anecdote>
A couple of years ago I was skiing in Austria, and the hotel had a fancy sauna/steam room/spa in the basement. Swimming costumes were totally forbidden. The locals happily wandered around the whole spa area naked, not just in the steam rooms and saunas themselves, but in my prudish British way I wrapped myself as best I could in the teeny-tiny towel they provided.

So I was sat in the steam room, on the towel, with the end of the towel covering my lap. One of the spa attendents peered in, opened the door, looked straight at me and said: "English?" I nodded, and he barked "No towel!" then leant forward and used the handle of his mop to lift my towel off my lap.
</anecdote>
Hey, I rented a movie that started like that. I rented it accidentally that is. Several times, to add to the crime.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Nudity is always acceptable for young women in good physical condition. Everybody else should cover themselves.
AND young men in good physical condition. Don't forget about that!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar View Post
AND young men in good physical condition. Don't forget about that!
YMMV
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
I now belong to Gold's Gym, and they have the same requirement. There's always someone who believes he is above the rules and sits in the sauna naked.
Where's the sauna? We have one at mine but it's co-ed and out in the pool area.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I just don't understand what the point of putting a steam room/sauna/whirlpool in the lockerroom if a swimsuit is required. Why not just put in a shared area make it coed then? Anyway wearing a swimsuit in any of those isn't very hygienic. I also don't understand why anyone would be offended by nudity in a single-sex lockerroom; if it bothers them that much then those people just should just not go into one.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberhwk View Post
Where's the sauna? We have one at mine but it's co-ed and out in the pool area.
Since you live about 3,000 miles from me, I doubt if you would want to join my Gold's Gym in James Island, SC. It used to be a small facility, but a few years ago, it moved into a former K-Mart and is quite huge now. It has four different circuits, with different types of equipment, but each targeting all the muscle groups. It also has a free weight room and a good selection of aerobic equipment (treadmills, exercise bikes, ellipses, etc.). The Wellness Center, where I used to belong, cost twice as much. It also has a swimming pool, racket/hand ball courts, outside tennis courts with a running track on the roof, and a steam room. The aerobic equiment also has individual TV sets. I do miss some of those features. But it had only one circuit, so you had to jump around if you didn't want to wait. My Gold's Gym also has a room where movies are shown, but it is dark so you cannot read what you are doing on the bike. The bikes also make a lot of noise, so you have to read the sub-titles on the movies. As I said, the Gold's Gym cost only half the price (with my senior citizen discount) and is only two miles from where I live.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I believe all of the rule ignorers like myself would sit on and pretty much cover with a towel.

Now I just need to decide whether it makes more sense to let things blow over and go back to ignoring it......... or to start squeeking and risk having it be enforced longer and even more strictly.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 AM
yap, sit on your towel to avoid the hot rivets or screws and flick it over your lap if you think someone is checking out your junk.

Wearing a swimsuit in a steam room or sauna seems ridiculous to me. Anyway sitting in temperatures that high pretty much kills any libido whether its a mixed sauna or single sex gig
Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manila View Post
yap, sit on your towel to avoid the hot rivets or screws and flick it over your lap if you think someone is checking out your junk.

Wearing a swimsuit in a steam room or sauna seems ridiculous to me. Anyway sitting in temperatures that high pretty much kills any libido whether its a mixed sauna or single sex gig
I think many still can get hot while hot. But I think it's primarily a matter of politeness. Most men do not want to look at other men's private parts, but if someone is parading around in the nude, it is hard to avoid looking at them.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
I thought were are only talking about steam rooms, not saunas. I've never seen a steam room that wasn't all tile. That's what I'm thinking about in my posts above.

In a sauna, I'd sit on a towel to catch my own sweat and avoid any nails that might be poking up. But I still wouldn't wear a swim suit.

I've only ever seen wooden benches in a dry sauna. Sure, people like to dump water on the heating element, but the resulting steam evaporates almost instantly.

A dry steam room? Is that anything like a jumbo shrimp?
You don't add water to it. it is verboten. Dry hot air.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
You don't add water to it. it is verboten. Dry hot air.
You're warned against throwing water on the rocks, but that doesn't mean it isn't done. I'll add, while I'm here, that sitting in the sauna with your trunks on doesn't do them any good. I have several old trunks I wear for the occasion.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
It flat-out ruins your swimsuit if you have to wear it in a steam room or sauna, or even a hot tub. (At least, the ones I buy. Perhaps they are unreasonably delicate. They say things like: Hand wash, mild soap, NO BLEACH EVER, particularly not CHLORINE BLEACH blah blah blah--what do they think I swim in? Essentially, diluted chlorine bleach, that's what.) However, at the Y I go to the steam room & sauna are in a communal area. For a long time there were no signs spelling out what you could or couldn't wear, but only that you couldn't shave in the steam room (good!). But a couple of years ago, apparently somebody pushed it, so now swimwear is required. So I have an old baggy swimsuit I would have thrown out, and that's what I wear. I'd rather be nude. I consider it a steam BATH and I wouldn't wear anything else to take a bath.

I've been to other Ys, though, where the facilities are inside the dressing rooms, and in those, lots of people go au naturel.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
I think many still can get hot while hot. But I think it's primarily a matter of politeness. Most men do not want to look at other men's private parts, but if someone is parading around in the nude, it is hard to avoid looking at them.
Actually, I was gonna come back with a quick negative retort... but then again I just thought if Beyonce Knowles was butt nekkid in the same sauna as me... err yes I would have to leave for politeness sake.

But as far as single sex saunas It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if some dude got up and walked butt naked to the coals to put more water on to generate steam.

(apart from the sudden heat shock I don't think it presents a problem)
Old 03-14-2011, 03:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
<anecdote>

</anecdote>
Same thing happened to me in Slovenia! But they had buckets filled with seats, like stadium foam seats, that were soaking in antiseptic outside the steam room.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
Question........ what is common? What is acceptable according to the health standards that a hospital should adhere to?

If this whole thing is the result of a prudish squeeky wheel I'm going to start squeeking myself.
Most has been answered already, but still:

steam bath = tiled room with about 40-45 deg. C and 50-60 % humidity, right? Dry steam rooms, saunas with wood and similar are different.

1) Hygiene: the most hygienic method is to be naked in the tiled bath, then everything can be hosed down by the attendant afterwards. A swim suit or towel in a steam bath is just method to carry germs around, which otherwise have no foothold on the smooth tiles.

2) Health: the purpose of a steam bath (and a sauna) is to sweat. Blocking part of your skin with a swim suit is thus contraindicted to that purpose.

3) The only reason remains is prudishness.
However, in a real steam bath, there's so much steam around that you can barely see anything.
If the problem is outside, in the shower/ rest area, then bring your own towel or bathrobe, hang up outside and wrap up the important bits once your 20 min. inside the steam bath proper are over and you head over to the showers. (That's how we do it in Germany, too.)
Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Quote:
<anecdote>

</anecdote>
Were the towels provided for? Because otherwise I wonder if the attendant was just fucking with you. Swim suits are forbidden, yes, for hygiene and health reasons - but covering your lap with your own towel?

Sauna attendants in Germany occasionally get British/ American tourists who try to wear swim suits; depending on the temperament of the attendants, this is either a source of amusement (look at how backwards prudish the Yanks/Brits still are! Look at how ignorant of healthy and proper Sauna method they are!) or frustration (I explained to them three times why swim suits are forbidden, and they still don't listen; if they don't overcome their hang-ups, I'm going to have to throw them out).
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
Were the towels provided for? Because otherwise I wonder if the attendant was just fucking with you. Swim suits are forbidden, yes, for hygiene and health reasons - but covering your lap with your own towel?
The towels were provided by the hotel. Sitting on them was fine, covering up apparently not. Of course, after a short while it seemed quite natural and within a couple of days I was happily letting it all hang out with the rest of them.

Still didn't know quite where to look when large middle-aged German guys hauled themselves into a standing position in the hot tub and stepped past me to get out though...
Old 03-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I was confused I admit.

Requiring swim suits in a single-sex steam room? huh? Seems ridiculous to me.

As has been mentioned above, the culture in Europe (particularly Germany/Austria) is for nudity without exception and most areas are mixed-gender.
We ski in Austria often and really quickly it becomes normal to hold naked conversations with total strangers. (My wife and I discussed the difficulty of negotiating the Munich ring-road with a physically stunning young lady from Holland whilst all naked, hot and soapy in the showers - yeah, that's how hot and sordid it becomes)

Why people always equate nudity with sex is beyond me.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:11 AM
In Japan, the rule is to cover your genitals with a small hand-towel. No clothes other than that. To wear clothes is pretty rude I think, or at least strange.

Sadly, mixed-sex bathes are hard to come by these days.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 AM
If steam and sauna rooms are located in men's locker rooms, what is the point of discussion on nudity. it is to be used/enjoyed or used the way they are designed for.

Steam or sauna to be taken full nude with no hesitation. Afterall, it is your personal interest to be clothed or nude unless there is a regulation.
But I do not suggest pubes shaving and under-arms shaving in locker rooms
Old 06-06-2011, 06:38 AM
BANNED
What about pool sandals like this ? Are they forbidden inside a sauna ?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM
In my experiences, the older guys are always naked, and the younger ones, if they even go in, are wearing bathing suits. My practice has been to wear a towel so I can sit on it. I don't like the idea of bare skin touching the tile.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
In Japan, the rule is to cover your genitals with a small hand-towel. No clothes other than that. To wear clothes is pretty rude I think, or at least strange.

Sadly, mixed-sex bathes are hard to come by these days.
Ah yes, "The Genital Clutch" I call it! Where they use the towel to cup their jewels so that they are entirely covered, no more and no less.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaki Campbell View Post
What about pool sandals like this ? Are they forbidden inside a sauna ?
In Germany they most definitely are. As are bathing trunks / suits.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft Holmes View Post
In Germany they most definitely are. As are bathing trunks / suits.
Um, yes and no, more exactly. In the general area around the sauna room itself, pool sandals are encouraged and allowed because of the problem of foot mushrooms being transmitted. Inside the tiled wet steam room, they are also usually allowed.

Inside the hot dry Finnish sauna, they are not allowed, because at 90 C, they could melt or emit chemical gas. They could also transfer stuff from outside to the wooden floor. So you slip out of your sandals outside the door, and step into the sauna; when leaving, reverse.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM
The sauna at Gold's Gym has the same rules as the Wellness Center at MUSC: a towel or swimsuit necessary; no street shoes. (In spite of the last requirement, some come in the sauna completely dressed for a workout, racketball, or whatever.) I can see one good reason for wearing something over the genital and rear areas: health. If you don't shower good before entering the sauna, you may be spreading germs that exist in your anal area and genital area unless you cover those up. Likewise, if you sit bare-assed, you may be catching those germs if someone did not obey the rules.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
The sauna at Gold's Gym has the same rules as the Wellness Center at MUSC: a towel or swimsuit necessary; no street shoes. (In spite of the last requirement, some come in the sauna completely dressed for a workout, racketball, or whatever.) I can see one good reason for wearing something over the genital and rear areas: health. If you don't shower good before entering the sauna, you may be spreading germs that exist in your anal area and genital area unless you cover those up. Likewise, if you sit bare-assed, you may be catching those germs if someone did not obey the rules.
In a proper finnish dry sauna, temps. are 90 C. Not many bacteria survive that. You sit on your towel, not on the wood, both for hygiene and because the wood itself is too hot. (There should also be a cleaning routine after the sauna is closed, but I don't know the Hygiene laws in the US.)

You don't spread germs from your genital areas by being naked, or prevent them by wearing swimsuits. If anything, the swimsuits can carry germs because they are only at body temp. unlike the wood, and could carry germs from one place to the other. But catching germs just from being naked? Nope. Otherwise, everybody would get infected on a toilet seat, which they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Jill
Intact skin is a good barrier against most disease organisms ... unless of course one were to pick up a bacterium or virus on the seat, then immediately plant their buttocks on someone's nose and mouth. If this were to happen to me, disease transmission would be the least of my concerns.

As far as other kinds of diseases that have different routes of transmission, such as oral/fecal or airborne, the hands are more to blame for spreading these diseases than the bottom is.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
One reason that some health clubs/gyms have begun enforcing some covering in saunas/steam rooms is because of unwanted sexual behavior that happens when men are naked. A problem at a gym near me is that some men go to the sauna to hook up, and some men do touch themselves in the presence of others. In NYC its not uncommon for gay men to guard sauna doors while other guys hook up (and I'm talking about places that are not considered gay bathhouses).....

THe bathing suit rule is more than just an issue of modesty/discomfort, regardless of what a gym/hospital etc. is willing to admit.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
pool sandals are encouraged and allowed because of the problem of foot mushrooms being transmitted.
Thank you for the amusing mental picture. Now I can't avoid imagining creminis sprouting from between my toes. German "Fusspilz" is called athlete's foot or foot fungus in English. Mushrooms are not fungi generally. They're the fruiting bodies of some fungi (Fruchtkörper).

Please don't think I'm making fun of the foreigner. I am simply amused by the phrasing.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:24 PM
My gym has a single coed steam room right by the pool, with swimsuits required. I've been to many other locations of the same gym chain (24 Hour Fitness) and they were all like that.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Thank you for the amusing mental picture. Now I can't avoid imagining creminis sprouting from between my toes. German "Fusspilz" is called athlete's foot or foot fungus in English. Mushrooms are not fungi generally. They're the fruiting bodies of some fungi (Fruchtkörper).
Damn, fungus was the latin-root word, the scientific name, I was trying to think off, and couldn't remember. Sometimes I'm too quick to type to look up the word in Leo dict.

In German, Pilz is the general word for species of fungus, not only the fruity bodies.

Last edited by constanze; 06-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoaster View Post
One reason that some health clubs/gyms have begun enforcing some covering in saunas/steam rooms is because of unwanted sexual behavior that happens when men are naked. A problem at a gym near me is that some men go to the sauna to hook up, and some men do touch themselves in the presence of others. In NYC its not uncommon for gay men to guard sauna doors while other guys hook up (and I'm talking about places that are not considered gay bathhouses).....

THe bathing suit rule is more than just an issue of modesty/discomfort, regardless of what a gym/hospital etc. is willing to admit.
I fail to see how swimsuits are a magical barrier; if people hook up for sex, you have a problem with lacks of sauna attendants, in my opinion - people who walk around to make sure everything is okay, nobody has keeled over, nobody is reading newspapers (that give off chemicals in the heat), nobody is bothering people general, to pour water onto the coals of the sauna, to clean up....
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
I fail to see how swimsuits are a magical barrier; if people hook up for sex, you have a problem with lacks of sauna attendants, in my opinion - people who walk around to make sure everything is okay, nobody has keeled over, nobody is reading newspapers (that give off chemicals in the heat), nobody is bothering people general, to pour water onto the coals of the sauna, to clean up....
I've belonged to several gyms with saunas and/or steambaths. None of them had or has an attendant, and people read newspapers and magazines in the saunas at Gold's, the JCC, and the Wellness Center all the time, despite signs telling them not to. There's a sign at Gold's telling patrons not to wear street shoes in the sauna (along with the newspaper warning), and just today somebody was in there with street shoes reading the newspaper. Nobody's enforcing those restrictions, and I'm not about to say anything. He'd tell me to butt off. At the Wellness Center, a few years ago somebody did stay too long and passed out, but was noted in time before he died.