Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
What happened to the Facebook 'enter' button?

It's gone! When did that happen? I typed out a message and it says 'press enter button' to send, but there isn't any 'enter button'. (It's been months since I checked Facebook at all, but I'm pretty sure I used to be able to post a comment.)

I'm sorry, but I'm really, really ignorant about computer things. My computer geek who fixes this stuff is unavailable right now.

I have Firefox - I think it needs an update, so if I do that, will I be able to reply to my friends postings on their Facebook page? Or is there something else I need to do? Is there information on Facebook, and if so, what am I supposed to be looking for?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM
The enter key.

They took away the clickable "post" button in most places. It's annoying because you can't add white space.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM
You can use Shift Enter on a computer, but as usual, Facebook is extremely unfriendly to mobile devices.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:28 PM
DOH! It worked - had me stumped for a while.

THANK YOU!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Charter Member
Shift Enter works to add a new paragraph. The bigger change is that you can now edit posts -- click on the X as though you're deleting it and you find you can change the text.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
you can now edit posts -- click on the X as though you're deleting it and you find you can change the text.
This doesn't work for me.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarmNPrickly View Post
You can use Shift Enter on a computer, but as usual, Facebook is extremely unfriendly to mobile devices.
You mean unfriendly to users in general. Removing that button added no functionality whatsofuckingever and made it more awkward to post.

I find Facebook very useful in some ways. My three best friends live in far distant time zones, and FB is the easiest way for me to interact with them and keep the friendship vibrant. So I put up with its crap, but that doesn't mean it ISN'T crap.

Submerged, to edit the post you must do so in the first minute or two. Afterwards all you can do is delete it.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 03-27-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I typed out a message and it says 'press enter button' to send, but there isn't any 'enter button'.
The enter button is on the right hand side of your keyboard. Usually found roughly above the right shift button and below the backspace button.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
You mean unfriendly to users in general. Removing that button added no functionality whatsofuckingever and made it more awkward to post.
Beavers have to build dams. Programmers have to program.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Submerged, to edit the post you must do so in the first minute or two. Afterwards all you can do is delete it.
Thanks. Weird, still does not work for me. I did a test post then hit the delete X about 10 seconds later. All I get is the usual option to delete. No edit option. Hmm.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Plus the way they recently fucked up how messages are viewed. It used to be that you sent a person a message, and all replies to that first message were in the same thread. Now, all messages that you've ever sent to a person are jumbled together in one massive thread and there is no way to reply to an individual message. It's idiotic, I don't see how this is helpful or an improvement in any way.

So let's say you need to find some piece of info that you were sent 6 months ago, instead of going to that date, you now have to scroll down through hundreds of random messages reading all of them until you find the one you are looking for.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I typed out a message and it says 'press enter button' to send, but there isn't any 'enter button'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
The enter key.
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. I can just imagine you getting your computer friend to help you out, telling him the problem and then watching as he stares at you for a few moments before pressing the enter key for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Removing that button added no functionality whatsofuckingever and made it more awkward to post.
Edit:

Nm. I was going to talk about how before you couldn't make separate paragraphs without them being squashed together in a Facebook post/response but I realized that they could have added that functionality without taking away the button.

Last edited by AClockworkMelon; 03-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Plus the way they recently fucked up how messages are viewed. It used to be that you sent a person a message, and all replies to that first message were in the same thread. Now, all messages that you've ever sent to a person are jumbled together in one massive thread and there is no way to reply to an individual message. It's idiotic, I don't see how this is helpful or an improvement in any way.

So let's say you need to find some piece of info that you were sent 6 months ago, instead of going to that date, you now have to scroll down through hundreds of random messages reading all of them until you find the one you are looking for.
Looks like it was brought in to integrate messages, texts, chats and emails, but it is really incredibly badly thought out.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. I can just imagine you getting your computer friend to help you out, telling him the problem and then watching as he stares at you for a few moments before pressing the enter key for you.
Well...I MEANT to ask, "where did the clickable 'post' button go on Facebook", didn't realize 'enter' meant push the 'enter' key on my computer. . (hey, I said I was really, really ignorant about computer things )
Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
YES. Jesus Christ I don't know why but this change is what angers me the most. I even sent them a message in their feedback section, and it takes a lot to get me to do that because I know it won't achieve anything. I told them this was the dumbest idea since New Coke. Sometimes you don't want to resend old messages, hello? It's nice to at least have the option of starting a whole new conversation. How could a social networking site not understand that? And to take away the subject line, too? Some of us use Facebook for professional reasons, and to not be able to add a subject line anymore is very frustrating. I'm all for upgrading a product, but some of these "improvements" are just asinine.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
I never used to use the enter button when it was there. Like on here, all you have to do is hit tab and then spacebar after composing a message (either in advanced mode or quick reply) (or hit tab twice if you want to preview).
Works on FB, too, when the "enter" button is there.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 03-27-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman74 View Post
The enter button is on the right hand side of your keyboard. Usually found roughly above the right shift button and below the backspace button.
While my keyboard does have buttons on it, the things we type with are called keys, not buttons. That's why it's called a keyboard instead of a buttonboard.

Now, the small graphics on a webpage that you click with a mouse, THOSE are called buttons.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 AM
There's a check box underneath that can be used to turn off "Quick Reply Mode".
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM
So I'm the only one who likes this change? It makes posting comments faster for me, and I'm used to pressing "enter" when I want to post some text as that's how it goes in most chat programs...

The private messages/inbox thing is very annoying though.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisFromOR View Post
Beavers have to build dams. Programmers have to program.
I can guarantee you that no programmer was involved in the decision to remove the post button. Us code geeks are workerbees; any dumb decision on layout or workflow or anything like that almost certainly was done by marketeers, product managers, or some fancy usability expert. Don't blame the code monkeys! We just do what we're told!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member
I can't figure out how to turn this new feature off.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray View Post
I can't figure out how to turn this new feature off.
There isn't a way, any more than FB has user support. That company's success is in SPITE of its marketing department, not because of it. Athena must really like them or something.

I'd ask, but one does not question the Goddess's choice of champions, servants, or victims.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
There isn't a way, any more than FB has user support. That company's success is in SPITE of its marketing department, not because of it. Athena must really like them or something.

I'd ask, but one does not question the Goddess's choice of champions, servants, or victims.
Heh. No, I just get mad when "programmers" get blamed for all the dumb stuff in websites/applications. You have no idea how many times I've argued with marketers/UI designers over stuff that I know people will hate, but they never listen to us tech people.

You'd think a Goddess would get more respect, but Noooooooo.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Heh. No, I just get mad when "programmers" get blamed for all the dumb stuff in websites/applications. You have no idea how many times I've argued with marketers/UI designers over stuff that I know people will hate, but they never listen to us tech people.

You'd think a Goddess would get more respect, but Noooooooo.
:: works action on shotgun ::

If you will give me their name I will be happy to dispatch them for you, Great One.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Quote:
There's a check box underneath that can be used to turn off "Quick Reply Mode".
This is the fix for the problem. Just look for the green arrow in the box on the bottom right below the text area. Click it to remove the arrow and the reply box shows back up. You can then use the enter key to start a new line.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLuvly View Post
This is the fix for the problem. Just look for the green arrow in the box on the bottom right below the text area. Click it to remove the arrow and the reply box shows back up. You can then use the enter key to start a new line.
There's no green arrow. Do you have a screen capture of what you're talking about?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Sorry, I meant green checkmark. You should see it if you open a message as if you are going to reply and it should be there.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Quote:
There's no green arrow. Do you have a screen capture of what you're talking about?
That fix only works in private messages (much to my chagrin), not wall posts. That might be where your miscommunication is happening.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Yeah you have to do shift+ enter for wall posts
Old 03-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Charter Member
One thing I've noticed recently on FB is that I have to keep turning Chat off. I always keep it off. it used to be, once off it would stay off forever. Now, I seem to have to keep turning it off every day.