Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
BANNED
Did anyone ever have to clap erasers for punishment?

or is that just a TV cliche
Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM
Charter Member
In my school, that was seen as a reward.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:08 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I vividly remember in grade school kids falling over themselves to be granted the task.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Yeah, competition for that job was fierce.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Charter Member
What is the sound of one eraser clapping?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:10 PM
It wasn't punishment, but it was one of the chores that were rotated.

I HATED it. I liked to be outside, but what respiratory nightmare! Of course...maybe the problem was that I actually DID it, when I could have used the time for something fun.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder lust View Post
It wasn't punishment, but it was one of the chores that were rotated.

I HATED it. I liked to be outside, but what respiratory nightmare! Of course...maybe the problem was that I actually DID it, when I could have used the time for something fun.
Chores? No fun? Creating great billowing clouds of 'smoke' isn't fun? Smacking them against the side of the building to make excusable graffiti isn't fun? Chucking them at your best friend who got to do them for another teacher isn't fun?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM
We were punished for clapping the erasers. Well, I was.

To be fair, it wasn't authorized, and it was in the classroom, and made a huge mess.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Aw, I thought my school was special in that everyone loved to do those silly chores. Cleaning out the guinea pig cage was even considered a treat.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
We use to take them outside and throw them against the wall so we could knock the chalk out without getting covered in the dust. We would try to make drawings on the wall of course.

It was absolutely not a punishment.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
My school was another one where this was a reward/chore. It was a chore, but only the "teacher's pets" got picked to do it. It was fun, while everyone else was stuck inside you and a buddy got to go outside without any adult supervision*.

*By which I mean standing directly in front off an all-glass door or window of the main office.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Charter Member
You got to go outside, by yourself, for the last few minutes of class, and beat defenseless erasers to death. What's not to love?

I suppose if it were raining or 10 below zero outside it might have been used as a punishment, but I don't recall my teachers inflicting that on anyone.

Last edited by kunilou; 03-27-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
We loved doing that.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
or is that just a TV cliche
If I recall correctly, clapping erasers was a disciplinary offense.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Charter Member
Bumfuck northern california farm district - it was a punishment in the late 60's. I *cough cough* had to do it more than once. Back in the day (1960's), we didn't have this tree hugging feel goody approach to edumacation. Chores needed doing, why make it a reward when you can much more easily penalize someone for an infraction....

I'm happy to report that these days, you don't even have those fucking erasers what with white boards an all. Actually, I'm happier to report that at least in my affuent 'hood, teachers go out of their way on the positive, feel good approach.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
What is the sound of one eraser clapping?
The same as the other one clapping.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM
BANNED
It was fun to do, for like the first one or two times, then it became a job
Old 03-27-2011, 09:20 PM
It wasn't that fun at my parochial school, because you didn't actually clap them. They had a machine, a vacuum with a rotating brush -- looked like a miniature wood planer -- you slid the erasers over it and it sucked the chalk dust into a cloth bag attached at the bottom.

The teachers still treated it as a special reward, giving it to special students, even though it wasn't as much fun as clapping the erasers & making clouds of dust.

[Unless you secretly loosened the clamp holding the cloth bag onto the exhaust port, so it came off, and then you had a machine spewing flame-thrower like blasts of chalk dust out the back (at whoever happened to be where you had aimed the exhaust port). You didn't really get in trouble for that -- "it was an accident -- the collection bag came off" -- but you usually weren't allowed to do it again for months. But it was worth it!]
Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
We use to take them outside and throw them against the wall so we could knock the chalk out without getting covered in the dust. We would try to make drawings on the wall of course.

It was absolutely not a punishment.
Yes! I did the same thing.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:33 AM
We clapped them in my school. IIRC, it wasn't a punishment, as has been noted by others.

We also had to sweep up the classroom after class.

Punishment was writing things 500 times on the blackboard, a la Bart Simpson. Yes, all these things really happened in my parochial school. Cliches get to be that way by being true, much of the time.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:25 AM
It was a blast, hitting them against the brick wall outside and watching the chalk fly. Later in my school years I recall some sort of machine that would brush the erasers and suck the dust into some vacuum bag.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
We loved doing it. But our school had electric eraser cleaners -- a rotating brush, sort of like a circular saw, with a vaccum to suck up the dust. You'd run the eraser over the brush and it'd be clean in a minute.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
We also had to sweep up the classroom after class.

Punishment was writing things 500 times on the blackboard, a la Bart Simpson. Yes, all these things really happened in my parochial school. Cliches get to be that way by being true, much of the time.
We never swept up that I can recall but once I had to stay in at recess and write "I will not talk in class" 100 times. I think that was 4th grade. That was public school.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
I lived close to my elementary school and usually stayed after school to clap erasers and wash the boards. I was a teacher's pet.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Treat here too. My daughter's school doesn't even have chalk boards. I guess it's a thing of the past.

We had punishments such as having to stand in the front of the classroom holding a dictionary in each hand or getting swatted with a ruler on the knuckles. I never suffered any punishment for any reason in school, being a perfect angel.

Last edited by Rushgeekgirl; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Male. Catholic School. 12 Years.

The good girls got to clap erasers. In the spring. Out back. With the June Bugs.

The rest of us got to diagram sentences. Thank Og it wasn't Hemingway.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Back in Catholic grade school we were supposed to go outside and clap them together. I remember a couple girls getting in big trouble because they opted to pound them against the side of the school on the bricks. The way the nuns carried on you'd think they just spray painted "GOD SUCKS!" on the side of the building. Even thinking back now I have no idea what got them so worked up. It was freakin chalk dust.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
Yep, clapping erasers was a prize doled out to students eager to go outside and make big clouds of dust (i.e. all of us).
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Back in Catholic grade school we were supposed to go outside and clap them together. I remember a couple girls getting in big trouble because they opted to pound them against the side of the school on the bricks. The way the nuns carried on you'd think they just spray painted "GOD SUCKS!" on the side of the building. Even thinking back now I have no idea what got them so worked up. It was freakin chalk dust.
Y'aint figure out what got the nuns all worked up? Pretty much anything that undermined their regime!

<<< What one's face would look like upon being grabbed by the ear.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Nah, when I was in grade school the teachers' preferred method of punishment was to make the entire class suffer for one student's behavior, thus ensuring that kid got his ass kicked at recess.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
It was neither a prize nor a punishment when I was at school. Just a task for which all the students were rostered one week per annum.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
That's how I remember it- the old nuns made it seem like a treat for good kids!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Mine too. Plus the school had this vacuum thing designed to help you clean the erasers. It worked great on the wool type erasers, but not so much on the 'spongy' type erasers.

http://findanauction.com/images/.../414644431.jpg
Old 03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
You had electricity?!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It wasn't that fun at my parochial school, because you didn't actually clap them. They had a machine, a vacuum with a rotating brush -- looked like a miniature wood planer -- you slid the erasers over it and it sucked the chalk dust into a cloth bag attached at the bottom.
My school had this, and cleaning was a reward. I only got to do it once or twice but I remember it being awesome. I seem to remember it made a cool noise.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The teachers still treated it as a special reward, giving it to special students, even though it wasn't as much fun as clapping the erasers & making clouds of dust.
My Catholic grade school had the exact same machine. Yep, as I remember it two students had cleanup duty on a rotating basis on Fridays: erase and sponge down the chalkboards, clean the erasers, straight out the desk rows, empty out the wastebasket into the incinerator chute (still remember the smell, I wonder how much longer after 1985ish the school kept that thing running). Everyone had to do it and it was never assigned as punishment.

Last edited by fiddlesticks; 03-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:31 PM
It was definitely a treat at my school, but even as a teacher's pet I only got to do it once or twice. It seemed to be a task that the teacher saved to reward the "bad" boys for being good for a change. Smart teachers!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
It wasa reward if you got to do it while other kids were doing yucky school work. It was a (mild) punishment if you had to do it during recess while everyone else had fun.