Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Charter Member
Rainbow vacuum cleaner

My wife and I are looking into buying a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner, however, it costs close to $2,400 for a new one. I've had a demonstration, and it seems worth it, but before I spend that type of money I was wondering if any dopers have any experience with them.

So, does anyone have any experience with Rainbow? Is it worth $2,400? Will it last? What can anyone tell me about them?
Advertisements
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Charter Member
I have no experience with that brand, but $2,400? Seriously? The top-rated upright vacuum cleaner (a Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary Edition U6485-900) in the Consumer Reports ratings costs a tenth of that price. How long would that Rainbow vacuum cleaner have to last to justify that price?

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 04-25-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I HATE HATE HATED the damned thing!!!!!!!!!!! My mom, sis and I went together and bought one (it was a lot less that $2400 at the time). Then, several years later my then boyfriend bought one just before we moved in together. Yeah, they vacuum well, if you don't mind emptying the water tank approximately 90,000 times with each vacuuming!

I bought Dyson pet pro (or whatever they're called) and I find that does JUST as good a job as the Rainbow ever did. The only thing the Rainbow did better was that it had a shampooer attachment.

One tip though, my boyfriend actually searched pawn shops for several months and found one there. It was in perfect shape. (yet I still hated it, we had stairs too, try lugging THAT monster up and down the stairs, thing weighs more than a small child ).

Anyway, if you really REALLY want one, I'd say try that, beats the hell out of paying all that money for a fancy gadget.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Their website doesn't make me hopeful.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
I have known several people who bought Rainbows. I never understood why.

I just looked it up on Consumer Reports. They gave Rainbow a 53 out of a possible 100, with other, far less expensive vacuums scoring as high as 72. The Rainbow was by far the heaviest because of the water tank, and scored low in handling.

I'd bet that you could pick up a used Rainbow pretty easily. Yep, there are 10 of them on my local Craigslist. You could try it out and see if it's worth it for you before committing yourself to such a high price.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 AM
WE had a Rainbow 20+ years ago. It did a great job. But for $2400 no I would not pay that. It was also a high maintenance unit and if I did not know how to turn a wrench I would not have been able to keep it running.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 AM
Versatile product for an insane price. I've heard that they will come waaaaay down on the price if you are a determined negotiator.

Just get a regular vacuum.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:31 AM
Hell, for that price I'd expect it to clean up after the kids, do the dishes and the laundry as well.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra_nz View Post
Hell, for that price I'd expect it to clean up after the kids, do the dishes and the laundry as well.
If you believe the sales pitch, it will do all these things, plus send flowers on your birthday!

I never owned one, but I had a demonstration (talked into it by a friend). Yes, the demo was impressive. But the price, combined with the weight of the unit and the complexity of doing anything at all with it turned me right off.

I'll stick with my $300.00 Dyson, thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 AM
Disgusting creatures. Do you know what the water looks like when you're done? Absolutely gross. Especially if you have long hair/pet hair in the house. It seriously made me queasy to empty the thing. Oh, especially if you're 10 years old and you try to "forget" to empty it for a day because it's so nasty, and then your mom yells at you to dump it, already, only it's gotten a little moldy and smelly and even MORE disgusting.

Yeah, good times. Not.

And then it sloshes when you're trying to carry it to the toilet, and the SMELLY ICKY STUFF gets on your arm and it's like ohmigosh, I wish I was dead.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
You can get a refurbished Rainbow - with warranty - on ebay for $450.

But I wouldn't give you a nickel for one; way too inconvenient and impractical.

mmm
Old 04-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
My wife and I are looking into buying a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner, however, it costs close to $2,400 for a new one. I've had a demonstration, and it seems worth it, but before I spend that type of money I was wondering if any dopers have any experience with them.

So, does anyone have any experience with Rainbow? Is it worth $2,400? Will it last? What can anyone tell me about them?
I used to sell them, first job after high school, I lasted about a week. My mom bought one to help me out.

They are an incredible rip-off. My first three cars were less than $24k

It's only a vacuum cleaner, when all is said and done that's all it is.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM
If you google on rainbow vacuum reviews you'll find a wealth of user comments, both pro and con. I think you'd be well served to digest some of these before spending that kind of money.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Charter Member
A waste of money. My sister has had one for a lot of years and complains about having to schlepp the damn thing up and down stairs and the issues with the water. Cost does not always equal quality.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
I had a friend some years ago who got a job with Rainbow selling the thing - door-to-door, doing demonstrations. It was truly a job from hell. She didn't sell one and quit after 2 weeks.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Not worth the price. A ripoff IMHO. Get a Dyson.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
$2400 for a vacuum cleaner? Bwhaaaaa, best laugh I've had all morning.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
Not worth the price. A ripoff IMHO. Get a Dyson.
That's the weird thing. When Dyson vacuum cleaners first were sold in the US, it was at the outrageous price of $500-600, which is several times what other vacuum cleaners sold for. I'm amazed that the Rainbow company salespeople can quote prices like $2,400 with a straight face.

And edited to add that Dyson still doesn't do as well in the Consumer Reports ratings as other, cheaper, brands.

Last edited by Dewey Finn; 04-26-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Charter Member
"It isn't can you afford a Rainbow, it can you afford not to have a rainbow."

Why, yes, I can afford that.

Last edited by BMalion; 04-26-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I love my Dyson Animal and have never had a problem with it. I paid $550 for it six or seven years ago. Prior to that, I was buying cheap ($150) vacuums that needed to be replaced every year or two.

IMHO, $2400 is way too much to spend for a vacuum, especially when there are great alternatives for a fraction of the price.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Haha! Wow. Yeah I've owned cars I paid less for. Crazy. Never used a Rainbow. At one point in my life, my vacuum (a Dyson, the base model, not the Animal) was the most expensive thing I owned. I had 6 cats at the time, so it was an important investment.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
My mother had one, which lasted for decades, then got another one, which also lasted for decades. They're versatile (lots of attachments and stuff) and they do a pretty good job, although I never thought they were way better than a Hoover or Eureka.

But $2,400? No way. I would definitely consider one for $400, if I thought I needed the "clean up after the kids, do the dishes and the laundry as well, plus send flowers on your birthday" attachments. I might consider $600, because they seem to last forever. But I can get a hell of a cleaner - and its replacement, and the one that replaces that one, AND the one to replace that one, and still spend a lot less than $2,400.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
it costs close to $2,400 for a new one. I've had a demonstration, and it seems worth it,
What makes it worth $2,400?

Do you get a lot of subjective value out of your vacuum cleaner? Because that's about the only way, I can conceivably see how anyone would say that $2,400 vacuum cleaner was worth it. In comparison to the costs of other ways of vacuuming your carpets, no where near $2,400.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Couldn't you pay a maid to clean your whole house for about 2 years for that price? What could possibly make spending $2400 on a vacuum cleaner worth it?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
My paternal grandmother used them first, and when they got a new one, they gave us the old one. Then we wound up getting a new one ten years later because we were finally having problems. But, when the new one started having problems (15 years later), we replaced it with a $50 vacuum from Walmart that is much more compact.

It may have been worth it back in the day, but it's really not now. They really ought to both lower the price and work on a more compact model. It should not be two separate units anymore.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
What makes it worth $2,400?

Do you get a lot of subjective value out of your vacuum cleaner? Because that's about the only way, I can conceivably see how anyone would say that $2,400 vacuum cleaner was worth it. In comparison to the costs of other ways of vacuuming your carpets, no where near $2,400.
Well, of course the salesman (er, excuse me, I mean 'presenter') doesn't sell them as 'vacuums'; they are 'home-cleaning systems'. They will go on and on about how The Rainbow purifies the air, traps air-borne particles, if you don't buy the Rainbow, this crap is floating around your home all the time and you are (brace yourself) breathing it every single day. Not only that, but your babies are breathing it every single day! Don't you care enough about your babies to spend $2,400.00 on their long-term health and well-being? No?? What the hell is wrong with you?!?!?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Surprising that we're this far into the thread and nobody's mentioned Kirby. If you really want to overspend on a vacuum, buy a Kirby. They're built like tanks and don't involving dumping out icky filth slurry. I only know a couple people who have them, and I they actually like them. My mother-in-law loves hers, has had it twenty some years with no problems, and actually uses the attachments.

That said, though, I'd recommend just buying a Dyson or Dyson-style knockoff. I have a top-of-the-line Dirt Devil from five years ago, and I like it just fine.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Surprising that we're this far into the thread and nobody's mentioned Kirby. If you really want to overspend on a vacuum, buy a Kirby. They're built like tanks and don't involving dumping out icky filth slurry. I only know a couple people who have them, and I they actually like them. My mother-in-law loves hers, has had it twenty some years with no problems, and actually uses the attachments.

That said, though, I'd recommend just buying a Dyson or Dyson-style knockoff. I have a top-of-the-line Dirt Devil from five years ago, and I like it just fine.

I was thinking the same thing. They run about 20 bucks at the local good will. They are a few years old, but there's not a single thing inside them made of plastic.

Solid metal construction makes a good strong machine. I have bought 3 for like 60 bucks, one for the basement, one for the main floor and one for upstairs. Hepa filter bags and a tune up at the local shop ran probably like another 80 bucks.

For the price of a plastic Dirt Devil at Wally's I have one for each floor and let me tell you, these have lasted me going on 6 years now and they have way more suction that I ever thought possible.

Check the thrifts or Craigslist. Worth the investment.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:51 PM
The Rainbow sounds great and all, but I'm really looking for a vacuum that's more expensive and harder to use. Any suggestions?

::d&r::
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 PM
If you're willing to spend $2,400 on a vacuum, why not just get a central vac installed?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 AM
Since we are on the subject of vaccuums, anyone have any thoughts/experience with the roomba's. They come in from time to time at work (thrift shop) and are one of the more pricier items we get in ($75ish price tag) . I would love to have one, but have no input from real people.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest View Post
Since we are on the subject of vaccuums, anyone have any thoughts/experience with the roomba's. They come in from time to time at work (thrift shop) and are one of the more pricier items we get in ($75ish price tag) . I would love to have one, but have no input from real people.
If you're the kind of person who keeps a tidy house, they're great. If you're not the kind with a tidy house, don't get the programmable kind (or at least don't program it, just turn it on when you want to use it) or it will get lost in the tangle of cords and kids' toys all over the floor. OTOH, they're a great motivator for little kids to clean up their toys so they get to watch the little guy zoom around the floor.

As far as the quality of the vacuuming, they're pretty great on hardwood and low area rugs; I haven't had wall to wall thick carpeting to test mine on myself.

They're also great for chasing the cats and providing endless hours of enjoyment tormenting small yappy dogs.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

You haven't posted in here since your OP. No questions or comments about what's been posted in response?

I have a question for you Hirka...

Why?

What is it about the Rainbow vacuum that you are so sold on that $2400 seems reasonable by any stretch of the imagination? You're not just posting your question to get a rise out of people are you?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
The Rainbow sounds great and all, but I'm really looking for a vacuum that's more expensive and harder to use. Any suggestions?
Try vacuuming with the Hope Diamond.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I think the big draw with them is the notion that more airborne particles seem to be trapped in the water so you will have cleaner air in your home. Don't new vacuums have super HEPA filters nowadays?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM
BANNED
My wife bought one long ago. it is just a vacuum cleaner and not an especially good one. She is a sucker for sales demonstrations though.
If you insist on buying it. tell them it is way too damn expensive and they will drop the price a long way.

Last edited by gonzomax; 04-27-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Charter Member
And it's damned LOUD!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
If I'm spending $2400 on an appliance, it had better know how to perform fellatio.

Wait a minute...

mmm
Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
If I'm spending $2400 on an appliance, it had better know how to perform fellatio.

Wait a minute...
Dude! Nooooooo!

OK, I'm not emptying the water thing.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enright3 View Post
You haven't posted in here since your OP. No questions or comments about what's been posted in response?

I have a question for you Hirka...

Why?

What is it about the Rainbow vacuum that you are so sold on that $2400 seems reasonable by any stretch of the imagination? You're not just posting your question to get a rise out of people are you?
Sorry, I have been reading, just haven't been responding. There is a lot to think about here. I like the water filter on it, specially since it will mean my wife will ACTUALLY clean the filters. On our current vaccuum, she never cleans the filters, so it doesn't work as well as it should.

Part of my posting the OP was to find out what y'all thought of it. My wife was interested in it, but said "why don't you ask on that message board of yours", so that is what I did. If we buy one, it will not be for a few months, when I would actually be able to afford it.

One thing I will do though, is look for a second hand one if we buy it. I see a couple on Ebay that are going for a BIN price that is 1/2 of what they wanted for one, or we would negotiate down on it... But either way, it will still be a few months till we buy anything, even if we look at Kirby, or one of the other high end vacuums.

Thank you all for your replies!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
I like the water filter on it, specially since it will mean my wife will ACTUALLY clean the filters. On our current vaccuum, she never cleans the filters, so it doesn't work as well as it should.
Offer to pay her or your kids or any neighborhood kids, $25 a month to clean the filter on your current vacuum. That will give you 8 years of clean filters vs. buying an obvious rip-off.

Or better yet. Clean it yourself and invest the $2400 in an equity fund. You'll have a lifetime of clean filters and in 8 years you'll have about $4,000 saved.

Last edited by Omar Little; 04-27-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
How hard is it for you to clean the vacuum's filters? Considering someone has to dump the sludge in a Rainbow at least once per use, isn't just more logical to clean the filter for her once in awhile? Say, while changing the bag?

ETA: What Omar said.

Last edited by needscoffee; 04-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
How hard is it for you to clean the vacuum's filters? Considering someone has to dump the sludge in a Rainbow at least once per use, isn't just more logical to clean the filter for her once in awhile? Say, while changing the bag?

Don't call her a bag!
Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
I've got a Hoover vacuum cleaner of some sort and I don't think it has a separate filter. I think the air is filtered through the bag itself, so as long as you replace the bag as it fills, the filter is replaced. And that's why Dyson advertises that their advantage is that their vacuum cleaners are bagless, and therefore don't have problems with the filters clogging. So if that's what appeals to you, consider a Dyson machine. (And now various other brands have bagless machines.)
Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I would recommend getting a Dyson. It's usually brought up that Dyson's don't score as well in Consumer Reports, but that's probably just based on brand new, out of the box performance. I wouldn't doubt that some other vacuum works better on the first day. However, do the same tests 2, 3, 5 years down the road. My Dyson is still working great 6 years later. I had a host of other vacuums which would peter out after a couple of years. The Dyson is the only one which seems to work just as well as the first day.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
I would recommend getting a Dyson. It's usually brought up that Dyson's don't score as well in Consumer Reports, but that's probably just based on brand new, out of the box performance. I wouldn't doubt that some other vacuum works better on the first day. However, do the same tests 2, 3, 5 years down the road. My Dyson is still working great 6 years later. I had a host of other vacuums which would peter out after a couple of years. The Dyson is the only one which seems to work just as well as the first day.
I had a Eureka “Windtunnel” - one of the vacuums rated the highest by CR. I hated it. It worked great for 10 minutes, and then the fine filter would get clogged by the famous Arizona red dust. I finally got a Dyson, which is better in every way. I love it.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
to be honest, I settled on a $20 shop-vac. I sweep with a broom and then mop up and I'm fine.

But I have hardwood floors.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
My wife and I are looking into buying a Rainbow Vacuum Cleaner, however, it costs close to $2,400 for a new one.
Does it come with a fabulous interior decorator?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Quote:
I like the water filter on it, specially since it will mean my wife will ACTUALLY clean the filters. On our current vaccuum, she never cleans the filters, so it doesn't work as well as it should.
If only there was another adult in the house capable of cleaning the filters....
Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
If only there was another adult in the house capable of cleaning the filters....
If only there was... Unfortunately, I'm not around much since I've been away at school 4 hours away for the past 3 years, only coming back every couple weekends, and when I'm home, the last thing on my mind is the vacuum.
Closed Thread