Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
What does J mean at the end of emails?

I know a couple of people who do this, but I don't know what it means. Neither of them are peeps I feel comfortable asking. Anyone know?
Advertisements
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I see this on emails from my husband in gmail - when I click "show details", I see that it's a smiley that he typed - like this -
Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynda View Post
I know a couple of people who do this, but I don't know what it means. Neither of them are peeps I feel comfortable asking. Anyone know?
Their names aren't by chance John or Joan or Jim, are they?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Yeah, when the message is composed in Outlook and someone types a smiley, it is converted to the corresponding letter ("J") in Wingdings font, so when the font information is lost or ignored in another email program, it shows up as a plain old J.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Ah! Mystery solved. Thanks much!
Old 05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
OMG, I've been wondering this for so long! I'd figured out that it meant something akin to a smiley, but I couldn't figure out what the relationship between the smiley and the letter J was! Thanks for explaining, ReticulatingSplines, and thanks for thinking to ask, Brynda!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off