Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Passport expiration date

A passport says, "expires on May 13 2011". Is the passport valid on May 13 2011, or is its last day of validity May 12?
#2
Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,869
I would argue that it is still valid on May 13, 2011, because that day is not yet in the past. Once that day is in the past, then it has expired.

Pragmatically, it's whatever the government says it is, even if the government in question isn't the issuing government.
#3
Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Challenger Deep
Posts: 10,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
A passport says, "expires on May 13 2011". Is the passport valid on May 13 2011, or is its last day of validity May 12?
KneadToKnow has it: the passport will still get you back into your home country at 11:59:59 PM on May 13, 2011. However, as the MSNBC article points out, many other countries will not let you into their country (and consequently, airlines will not let you take one of their flights out of your home country) unless your passport will be valid for X more months: they would really like to avoid having your passport expire while you're there, trapping you in their country for who-knows-how-long while you get a new one issued.
#4
Old 05-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Okay, thanks for the input so far.

I'm asking because the people in charge of issuing driver licenses around here wouldn't accept a passport that expires today. It only matters because it's going to take some time and money for me to scare up a birth certificate, so I was really hoping this wouldn't be an issue.

But it was.
#5
Old 05-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
I also would argue it's valid on the thirteenth as well:

It "expires on" the 13th. This can easily be construed to mean that, during the 13th, it has not yet finished expiring. It will not have expired til the 13th is over.

In other contexts, things are valid throughout the expiration period. For example, a credit card that expires "March 2012" will be valid throughout March 2012.

I was hoping for some citation from an official passport-related government cite as to how the federal government interprets expiration dates, so I could go back to the BMV for a hail mary attempt at persuasion (fat chance of course but doesn't hurt to try)... but it looks like I'm going to have to wait a few weeks and spend some bucks in order to get the birth certificate.
#6
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,116
What is the logic for an expired passport (or driver's licence) being invalid as a form of ID? Surely it is still a government-issued document with your name and photograph; if the photograph is recognizably you and your signature matches, is there a reason it wouldn't be valid other than "rules are rules"?
#7
Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drake View Post
What is the logic for an expired passport (or driver's licence) being invalid as a form of ID? Surely it is still a government-issued document with your name and photograph; if the photograph is recognizably you and your signature matches, is there a reason it wouldn't be valid other than "rules are rules"?
One reason for an expiration date would be that stolen or revoked documents could be used indefinitely, i.e. lists of blacklisted serial numbers could never be purged, and new anti-counterfeiting features could never become mandatory.
#8
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,797
From the Code of Federal Regulations:
Quote:
(b) Period of validity of a regular passport and a passport card.
(1) A regular passport or passport card issued to an applicant 16 years
of age or older is valid for ten years from date of issue unless the
Department limits the validity period to a shorter period.
So, if you got a passport that was issued on May 14, 2001, its validity begins at 12am on 5/14/01.

Add ten years to that date and time, and one will find that the passport is valid until 11:59:59pm on 5/13/11.

Not sure this link will work to the CFR: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...0.1.6.33.1.1.3

Last edited by Ravenman; 05-13-2011 at 05:14 PM.
#9
Old 05-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
From the Code of Federal Regulations: So, if you got a passport that was issued on May 14, 2001, its validity begins at 12am on 5/14/01.

Add ten years to that date and time, and one will find that the passport is valid until 11:59:59pm on 5/13/11.

Not sure this link will work to the CFR: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...0.1.6.33.1.1.3
That cinches it.

Unfortunately, it's too late--the BMV is closed.

Oh well.

I'm sure that it's written into their own regulations that they have discretion to accept or not accept these things anyway.
#10
Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,869
I have only just realized that it must be Bureau of Motor Vehicles where you live.

I'm used to people referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

#11
Old 05-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I have only just realized that it must be Bureau of Motor Vehicles where you live.

I'm used to people referring to the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Yeah, "BMV" always makes me think "Bowel MoVement."

(I was raised in DMV-land like you...)
#12
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
My US passport expires Oct. 2011, without a date specified, so I suppose 9/30/11 is the last day of use possible.

I wonder why yours ends on some random day in the middle of the month, instead of the end/start of a month?
#13
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
My US passport expires Oct. 2011, without a date specified, so I suppose 9/30/11 is the last day of use possible.

I wonder why yours ends on some random day in the middle of the month, instead of the end/start of a month?
The date is 10 years to the day past the date the passport was created.

(I'm surprised yours doesn't have a date--the language of the regulation cited earlier states that there's an exact date past which the thing is expired, not just a month.)
#14
Old 05-13-2011, 11:12 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
I just looked at my passport, and I am 100% wrong on this.

It expires on 10/5/2011, and actually states that the last day of use possible is 10/4/2011.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I swear that I just recently noted to myself that something is up in Oct., and I was absolutely certain that it was my passport, which I just had out a couple of months back.....

Sorry.
#15
Old 05-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I just looked at my passport, and I am 100% wrong on this.

It expires on 10/5/2011, and actually states that the last day of use possible is 10/4/2011.

I don't know what I was thinking, but I swear that I just recently noted to myself that something is up in Oct., and I was absolutely certain that it was my passport, which I just had out a couple of months back.....

Sorry.
Are you sure? The one I've been talking about says:

Quote:
Date of Issue: 14 May 2001

Date of Expiration: 13 May 2011
Which, as I've been arguing, implies that you can use the thing through the expiration date of May 13th, not just until that date.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: otc tamiflu semen porn whats in clr dones medication making a pass vomit without nausea ebony piano opposite of tomboy cuss song ungrounded gfci clint eastwood voice dragonskin body armour az hookers joanna cameron nude nip japanese zeppelin cost fmovief,net minoan dress cunt hair ruler snorting caffiene pills refinance carmax loan missouri tributary comfortmaker hvac reviews packing cigarettes myth xxx symbol fun shotgun games sopranos furio elixio network freight train schedule nevus removal cost fat reptiles oolite multiplayer spanish for brain 210+140 tussin trip blood sugar 95 after eating a blonde in a convertible how to outrun cops working at louis vuitton maisie williams bacon number go fuck yourself in korean troubleshoot 3 way switch what do broncos fans chant armour hot dog song lyrics x-out golf balls how do bands remember all their songs how many pounds of force does it take to break a neck is it worth joining aarp can caffeine be absorbed through skin poop smells like weed see who i've blocked on facebook does orange juice need to be refrigerated see through hard drive malibu and ginger ale chase leisure rewards debit card why does water pressure increase with depth can you say shit on the radio garage door opener won't go down removing anti theft tags how much are garmin map updates hydraulic clutch vs mechanical guitar shipping box usps can i use hand sanitizer on a cut what to do with a dead cat at home can duct tape be used as electrical tape why does porcelain break glass