Old 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Charter Member
Military acronyms question -- CONUS/OCONUS

I've done enough research to know CONUS = continental U.S. and OCONUS = outside continental U.S. However, at the government contractor where I work, OCONUS is always used to describe foreign garrisons, like a base in Germany, or theaters like Baghdad. Would something in Alaska or Hawaii really be OCONUS? How is Washington, D.C. classified?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Alaska, Hawaii, US protectorates, and all other foreign countries are OCONUS. The 48 contiguous States, to include Washington D.C. are considered to be CONUS.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Charter Member
Thanks for the reply! Why is it useful for Alaska and Hawaii to be categorized together with foreign countries? I can see where protectorates would be sort of a gray area.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Charles View Post
Thanks for the reply! Why is it useful for Alaska and Hawaii to be categorized together with foreign countries? I can see where protectorates would be sort of a gray area.
I think it just has to do with logistics. When the Army is moving an entire family, including their entire house goods, furniture, clothes, pets, vehicles, and everything, getting it to Hawaii is about the same as getting it to Korea. And even Alaska, to some extent. It isn't really a tactical or operation thing, so much as a travel pay and entitlements thing.

I wouldn't consider Iraq or Afghanistan OCONUS. Sure, it is OCONUS strictly speaking. But the term more often refers to "duty stations" like Germany, Italy, UK, Belgium, Korea, etc and not combat tours like Afghanistan or Iraq. At least in normal everyday parlance, but I am not sure if that is official. Just never referred to Baghdad as "OCONUS" before.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Charter Member
Great, that's good to know. Mostly I hear OCONUS in relationship to garrison bases, so you're probably right. I thought I'd heard it in relation to theater installations, but I'll double check that now.