Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 PM
What eventually happened to Frank Burns on M*A*S*H?

I remember the episode pretty well -- he goes AWOL while Margret is away in Tokyo with her husband, he gets drunk, then ends his day jumping into the Japanese bath with a General and his wife. His penalty: sent home. And if I recall correctly, no charges.

So what happens to him later: he's a US veteran of the Korean War, and a Major. But he hadn't earned enough points for discharge. (I assume, since Hawkeye hadn't) Will he run into problems in his future, collecting a pension, or receive other penalties? Do any military dopers think he got a few more ribbons after he left, maybe a medal or other rewards? Would the circumstance of his discharge come back to bite him on the ass if he decides to wrap himself in the flag and run for public office in the late 1950's?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:01 PM
According to wikipedia, he was promoted and posted to a VA hospital. After that, I don't think we know anything canon, but I could see him getting pushed out of medicine due to incompetence and getting involved in politics during the "red scare" period.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM
BANNED
As part of his "penalty" he was promoted to Lt. Colonel before he was sent back stateside.

I remembered mine, and didn't have to look it up.....

Last edited by MPB in Salt Lake; 05-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
According to wikipedia, he was promoted and posted to a VA hospital. After that, I don't think we know anything canon, but I could see him getting pushed out of medicine due to incompetence and getting involved in politics during the "red scare" period.
Yeah, he gets posted Stateside and has a relatively good job, something all of them are more qualified for and would have loved compared to their current situation.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
I remember the episode pretty well -- he goes AWOL while Margret is away in Tokyo with her husband, he gets drunk, then ends his day jumping into the Japanese bath with a General and his wife. His penalty: sent home. And if I recall correctly, no charges.

So what happens to him later: he's a US veteran of the Korean War, and a Major. But he hadn't earned enough points for discharge. (I assume, since Hawkeye hadn't) Will he run into problems in his future, collecting a pension, or receive other penalties? Do any military dopers think he got a few more ribbons after he left, maybe a medal or other rewards? Would the circumstance of his discharge come back to bite him on the ass if he decides to wrap himself in the flag and run for public office in the late 1950's?
Don't know what happened to him after the war, but in the series he not only gets sent stateside with no charges, he's promoted to Lt. Colonial

on edit- Doh! Too late!

Last edited by mozchron; 05-19-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Not fast enough on the draw.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM
The Old Boy network being what it was in that time period, I have no doubt that Frank landed on his feet and went on to a prosperous civilian life. That isn't to say he, personally, was happy; but he probably found a spot in a hospital or medical partnership where he was shunted into things where he could do a minimum of harm.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
He eats worms.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
The character was from my mom's hometown, Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Since my mom was not a fan and cleared out of town as soon as she could, she was amused that a doofus like Burns was supposed to be from there.

True story: When she was back in Ft. Wayne to care for her dying mother in the late 1980's, she swears she was walking in the hospital when she heard a page over the loudspeaker "Dr. Burns, Dr. Frank Burns, report to the OR" and it made her stop in her tracks.

Last edited by WordMan; 05-19-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicio View Post
For some loose values of canon, we do. Frank Burns ended up as President or Spiritual Leader, or whatever they call it for a group of doctors specializing in Tonsils, Adenoids, and Vas Deferens (sp?). That group was derisively referred to as "tube snippers", because most of their business was performing vasectomies. Hawkeye and Trapper got drunk at some convention, and somehow became members of the group despite being "real doctors", and this led to their trip to another convention, which is, I think, chronicled in M*A*S*H Goes to New Orleans. This one one of a series of books detailing the post-war adventures of our heroes, along with a zany cast of other characters.

Hot Lips becomes a religious figure for a gay church, despite remaining actively heterosexual.

Radar becomes a rich business man, owning a chain of restaurants built around his mother's Irish Stew recipe.

Somehow, Henry Blake did not die. Instead he ended up running Walter Reed Hospital, and drafts Hawkeye and Trapper to go somewhere...maybe Paris? on behalf of the U.S. government in another book in the series.

Last edited by Oakminster; 05-19-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
The Old Boy network being what it was in that time period, I have no doubt that Frank landed on his feet and went on to a prosperous civilian life.
Last I heard he was running a power utility on Ogdenville.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
He eats worms.
Win!

Friends of mine met Larry Linville at some appearance he had in the early 90's and had him sign pictures "Frank Burns eats worms." They got one for me too, and I have no idea where it went to after all these years.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Charter Member
And, if anyone is wondering, the other fates our our MASH people are(let's assume AfterMash does not exist):

Hawkeye - back to Maine to presumably be a family doctor

BJ - back to the wife and kids

Charles - chief of thoracic surgery in Boston

Potter - retired to spend time with his wife

Hot Lips - becomes a non-army nurse in a hospital

Klinger - stayed in Korea to find his wife's family
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Hawkeye and Trapper got drunk at some convention, and somehow became members of the group despite being "real doctors", and this led to their trip to another convention, which is, I think, chronicled in M*A*S*H Goes to New Orleans.
Didn't they join that professional group to get a discount on a trip for them and their wives? I think that's why they are in New Orleans - on vacation. They have to show up at the convention to get their documents, and then the book happens. IIRC it also involves surgery on Archbishop Mulcahy.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozchron View Post
Don't know what happened to him after the war, but in the series he not only gets sent stateside with no charges, he's promoted to Lt. Colonial
Whereby he was made in charge of Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, etc.

mmm
Old 05-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Didn't they join that professional group to get a discount on a trip for them and their wives? I think that's why they are in New Orleans - on vacation. They have to show up at the convention to get their documents, and then the book happens. IIRC it also involves surgery on Archbishop Mulcahy.
That sounds right. And Archbishop Mulcahy managed to get a pilot's license. Sometimes wears a flight jacket (only around his M*A*S*H buddies) with his call sign on it....Dago Red.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yeah, he gets posted Stateside and has a relatively good job, something all of them are more qualified for and would have loved compared to their current situation.
Don't forget that Burns is a Purple Heart recipient -- he got shell fragments in his eye during that one sniper attack.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
Don't forget that Burns is a Purple Heart recipient -- he got shell fragments in his eye during that one sniper attack.
It was an egg shell!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Looking back, I feel more and more sympathy for Burns and less tolerance for Hawkeye. Frankly, I'd've been okay if Burns' last episode had him beating the crap out of Hawkeye (vaguely akin to the film) and the two of them getting drunk together, resolving their differences, going their separate ways with a handshake.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
And, if anyone is wondering, the other fates our our MASH people are(let's assume AfterMash does not exist):

Hawkeye - back to Maine to presumably be a family doctor

BJ - back to the wife and kids
As I've written before on this board, I don't think TV-Hawkeye did well after the war. He was too sensitive & high-strung for what he went through in Korea. He never got completely over his breakdowns, and slowly got worse after he went home. Died young and of the bottle.

BJ only had one kid at the time of the series, yes? Anyway, he did some damage to his marriage trying to save Hawkeye before Colonel Potter talked sense into him.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
For some loose values of canon, we do. Frank Burns ended up as President or Spiritual Leader, or whatever they call it for a group of doctors specializing in Tonsils, Adenoids, and Vas Deferens (sp?). That group was derisively referred to as "tube snippers", because most of their business was performing vasectomies. Hawkeye and Trapper got drunk at some convention, and somehow became members of the group despite being "real doctors", and this led to their trip to another convention, which is, I think, chronicled in M*A*S*H Goes to New Orleans. This one one of a series of books detailing the post-war adventures of our heroes, along with a zany cast of other characters.
There are two series of sequel books. The one you mention is in a series that stays true to the TV series. The is another series, written by the guy who wrote the original novel, which is much superior. In it Hawkeye, Trapper, and Spearchucker Jones all wind up in Maine running the Finest Kind Medical Clinic and Bait Shop. The characters invented for TV are not there. I don't remember Frank or Hot Lips, who weren't nearly as important in the book as in the movie/series, are there either.

I'm not sure if Hooker liked what Alan Alda did to his character. In the final book, Mash Mania, Hawkeye testifies in court how he, at the end of WW II. used a fire breathing dragon to incinerate Hiroshima when the A-bomb turned out to be a dud. Not a sensitive New Age guy at all.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
There are two series of sequel books. The one you mention is in a series that stays true to the TV series. The is another series, written by the guy who wrote the original novel, which is much superior. In it Hawkeye, Trapper, and Spearchucker Jones all wind up in Maine running the Finest Kind Medical Clinic and Bait Shop. The characters invented for TV are not there. I don't remember Frank or Hot Lips, who weren't nearly as important in the book as in the movie/series, are there either.

I'm not sure if Hooker liked what Alan Alda did to his character. In the final book, Mash Mania, Hawkeye testifies in court how he, at the end of WW II. used a fire breathing dragon to incinerate Hiroshima when the A-bomb turned out to be a dud. Not a sensitive New Age guy at all.
Hooker didn't like Alda's version of M*A*S*H. Dr. Hooker was actually a conservative Republican who didn't appreciate the anti-war message Alda's show was relaying.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
can we speculate on what happened to:

Colonel Flagg
Sidney Freedman
Igor
Nurse Kellye (my personal favorite supporting actor)
Captain Tuttle
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM
By the way, if you check out Whispers in the Dark (1992), you get to see (in addition to Anabella Sciorra tied up), Alan Alda:
SPOILER:
...bludgeon a woman with a wine bottle
Old 05-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Missed edit by a longshot.

Here's what I read somewhere (can't remember):

Hawkeye starts a family practice with his dad in Crabapple Cove. His dad passes away not long afterward. Hawkeye never marries.

Trapper John disappears and is never heard from again. Suicide is suspected.

B.J. returns home to San Francisco to find Peg has been seeing another man for quite a while. They divorce shortly thereafter.

Col. Potter happily retires on his farm with Mildred. They keep horses.

Frank Burns was promoted to Lt. Colonel and assigned a post as doctor at the V.A. hospital in Virginia, but it didn't take long for him to get committed to an institution.

As stated before, Maj. Winchester assumes the role of Chief of Thoracic Surgery at Massachusetts General in Boston.

Hot Lips is promoted to Lt. Colonel and is assigned the Head Nurse position at the Army hospital at Ft. Bragg.

Klinger stays in Korea indefinitely to find the family of his wife. He returns to the States briefly to appear on Family Feud.

Father Mulcahy splits his time between spiritual counselor and boxing trainer.

I don't remember what happened to Radar.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
The reasons why I didn't like the M*A*S*H finale is because it didn't explore their lives post war. I would have preferred a movie that detailed the problems of Hawkeye, BJ, Charles etc after they got home. The writers could have exploited the often ignored tragedies of war.

and Yes I know there was some forgettable show called After Mash, which could have been written into the finale

It was an opportunity missed.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
The reasons why I didn't like the M*A*S*H finale is because it didn't explore their lives post war. I would have preferred a movie that detailed the problems of Hawkeye, BJ, Charles etc after they got home. The writers could have exploited the often ignored tragedies of war.
Jesus God, man, how long a finale did you want?

The story was about their lives in Korea, not their lives back home. I think we were better off never seeing Peg Hunnicut and Mrs. Potter and Hawkeye's father and so forth. I like the fact that we never saw Radar & Burns again after they left, and we don't know how Klinger's marriage turned out, and so forth. Some times are best left to the imagination.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM
The finale was 2.5 hours. The war could have ended on the next to last episode, it did not need the drama of Hawkeye in the looney bin, or Charles POW band, or Mulcahey's going deaf, etc. The war could have ended in the next to last episode and the finale details the characters reintegration into life after the war.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Quote:

Colonel Flagg
Sidney Freedman
Igor
Captain Tuttle
I'm working my way through the entire 11 season run of MASH right now. Maybe I'll start a thread when I'm finished, but my favorite character by far is Colonel Flagg.

It would be a lot of fun to think of what becomes of him. There was an episode where his cover story was that he's a rabbi, and his "disguise" consisted solely of a pair of glasses. I like to imagine that after the war he actually becomes a rabbi as a front for some sort of deep cover spy operation.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:

and Yes I know there was some forgettable show called After Mash, which could have been written into the finale

It was an opportunity missed.
It sort of did. Didn't they have a scene where everyone goes around the table and says what their future plans are? Presumably thats what the audience is supposed to take away as what happened to them.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
and the roundtable was my favorite of finale. but it was only a teaser. And we all know that what you plan and hope, does not happen all the time.

It may not what anybody wanted to see, but I could definitely see alcoholism ruining Hawkeye's life and career and turning him suicidal.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post

Trapper John disappears and is never heard from again. Suicide is suspected.
Actually he turned into Pernell Roberts, and became chief surgeon in a San Francisco hospital.

No suicide, but usually pissed off about something.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

Colonel Flagg
Sidney Freedman
Igor
Captain Tuttle
If we're willing to entertain speculation, then I remember that on the NBC series ER, Alan Alda played an older physician in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. He was a mentor to Kerry Weaver and a professor of trauma surgery. So I imagine that's what happened to the character of Hawkeye; he returned to the US and used his Korean War experience to improve civilian trauma care.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
Hooker didn't like Alda's version of M*A*S*H. Dr. Hooker was actually a conservative Republican who didn't appreciate the anti-war message Alda's show was relaying.
Yeah, I was probably being too subtle. In the later MASH books, the characters used "Democrat" as a curse.

The TV inspired books were competent hackwork. Hooker's books were weird and funny.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark View Post
Win!

Friends of mine met Larry Linville at some appearance he had in the early 90's and had him sign pictures "Frank Burns eats worms." They got one for me too, and I have no idea where it went to after all these years.
Actually Larry Linville died in 2000 so I think it's the other way around now.