Old 06-23-2011, 03:36 PM
BANNED
Synonyms For Being Fired, You Never Knew

Most of us are familiar with the basic synonyms for being fired.

"Let go," "Discharged," "Sacked" "Axed" but there are a few I never heard.

One was from the Britcom, Are You Being Served. "Am I being made redundant"? Which took me a bit to figure out.

The other is from the Australian soap opera Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H). "My husband is being retrenched"

Any other unusual (at least to you) synonyms you know of for being fired

Last edited by Markxxx; 06-23-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
BANNED
Bend over, here it comes (BOHICA).

I'm hoping "skullfucking" will take over some of the heavy lifting, but it's not one I've heard except by me (and to me).
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Shitcanned.

Also, in Treme, a character had his position w/ a company become "Untenable."
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Canned, or more formally, shit-canned. Booted, kicked out to the curb, taken out with the trash, told to hit the bricks. Dismissed, excused, terminated, walked out, shown the door, and told not to let the door hit his/her ass on the way out.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM
When was let go from a Massive Corporation Inc., I was told I had been selected to participate in an "Involuntary Employee Resource Program". If I hadn't known they were doing layoffs I might of thought it was a good thing.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
One was from the Britcom, Are You Being Served. "Am I being made redundant"? Which took me a bit to figure out.
Being made redundant is more specific than being fired: it means that your position is being abolished, and they won't replace you after you leave. In many places, you can get specific compensation for being made redundant that you wouldn't get if you were being sacked for your personal incompetence or unsatisfactory performance.

(I know this because I got about 8 months' pay, and some other benefits, because I was made redundant in Australia about 15 years ago.)
Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
When I worked at AT&T they decided to print their org chart upside down, to show that the top management's job was supporting those below, and they put the customer on the top.
One guy promptly said of an exec who was fired that he had been promoted to customer.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Re-purposed.

Right-sized.

Aligning with the new paradgm.

Leaving to explore other opportunities.

Putting on the red shirt.

Starting up the kiln.

Becoming a consultant.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
It may not be universal for "fired" but in my case I was "downsized" and "permitted to draw early retirement." No matter the intent, I was "let go."
Old 06-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Others from my days in Telecomm ... how about
  • Correcting a skills mismatch
  • Being pink slipped
  • Being Outsourced
  • Moving the operation off-shore
  • Getting the big white envelope
  • Not surviving the latest round
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Charter Member
In DC, back in, I think, the 80s, a lot of public employees were subject to RIF (Reduction In Force).
Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
In DC, back in, I think, the 80s, a lot of public employees were subject to RIF (Reduction In Force).
It is still very common to refer to layoffs as RIFs.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
"Restructured"

In my corner of the staffing industry, we operate using "talent pools." Basically, we do all the pre-employment screenings and testings and have them all ready so the minute a job comes open at one our clients, we can place one of our candidates in the role.

During slower times, clients will "return people to the talent pool" which is easier than laying someone off. However, some clients use "returning to the pool" as a soft-soap way of firing people.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Charter Member
Oh, shoot. I can't remember the name of the SF/Fantasy series where one wasn't thrown out of the bar, one was 'given an invitation to the world.' That phrase could work for firing as well.

[Calahan's Bar? Sigh. It's been too long.]
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Quote:
My mom has always referred to this as the time she "got riffed." I didn't understand what this meant until maybe last year.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Nobody mentioned the all-too-common "laid-off". In universities they say you have been "denied tenure".
Old 06-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Got a package (severance package, of course)
Joined the Beach Club or at the beach
Caught in the last round
Managed out
Ditched, dumped, kicked to the curb
Got a visit from Vader (we used to say this back in the early 80's at Atari; the HR guy had a really deep voice)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Charter Member
Received a DCM (Don't Come Monday).
Pink slipped.
Downsized.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM
HR person, to me (years ago): "So, you're being affected by a staff reduction."

Gee, I thought I was getting laid off.

People too important to fire (chief executives, elected officials) may "decide" to "pursue other opportunities" or "spend more time with their families" instead.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 AM
I swear, I always seem to be the only one to always get the ol'... "You are hereby being forcibly restrained and removed from the premises, effective immediately. Deadly force has been approved if deemed necessary."
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
The other is from the Australian soap opera Prisoner (Prisoner: Cell Block H). "My husband is being retrenched"
Retrenchment is not just being fired, it's a bit more like redundancy. As Giles noted, it may provide more benefits.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 AM
Charter Member
There was a high profile legal battle a few years back here concerning the firing of a TV news presenter. Famously, there was an email or similar which referred to her being "rissoled".

I had never heard the expression before, but the term is now commonplace. I assume because of this particular legal battle.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Quote:
In the Army if you don't get promoted fast enough you reach your Retention Control Point and are rcped
Old 06-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post
There was a high profile legal battle a few years back here concerning the firing of a TV news presenter. Famously, there was an email or similar which referred to her being "rissoled".
Wasn't it "boned"?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princhester View Post

I had never heard the expression before, but the term is now commonplace. I assume because of this particular legal battle.
Hadn't heard that one, but there was the Eddie McGuire incident when he said he wanted to "bone" a TV presenter. Given that the presenter in quesstion was Jessica Rowe, some doubted that Eddie meant "fired" in that case. The 12th Man did a CD called "Boned" where the entire cricket commentary team was sacked.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 AM
Charter Member
Doh! I've totally confused myself. "Boned" it is.

Of course, "rissoled" is a good word too.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunctator View Post
Retrenchment is not just being fired, it's a bit more like redundancy. As Giles noted, it may provide more benefits.
Yeah, people are used "fired" (which generally means terminated with cause) and "laid off" (made redundant, let go as part of a reduction in force) as synonyms themselves - which they aren't. If I were "laid off" I wouldn't refer to myself as "fired."
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
"fixed the glitch" from Office Space
You'll probably never hear of it in an official firing, but that's how a lot of us refer to it, especially if the person fired was particularly incompetent.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Being "sent to the cheese line" was a popular one in the late 90s.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I've been issued my walking papers.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM
"De-selected". Actual term used at an ex-employer. As in "we selected you 10 years ago; now we are de-selecting you."
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
"Surplused"
Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Being made redundant is more specific than being fired: it means that your position is being abolished, and they won't replace you after you leave. In many places, you can get specific compensation for being made redundant that you wouldn't get if you were being sacked for your personal incompetence or unsatisfactory performance.

(I know this because I got about 8 months' pay, and some other benefits, because I was made redundant in Australia about 15 years ago.)
And if a company is looking to downsize, they sometimes offer "voluntary redundancy", i.e. employees can choose to leave so that they have to fire fewer (or no) staff who don't want to go. To make this option attractive they usually offer a decent payoff.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Right-sized is a particularly annoying one. Not so right for the person getting shit-canned.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick View Post
Right-sized is a particularly annoying one. Not so right for the person getting shit-canned.
You got that right! Sort of sticking it in and breaking it off, ain't it?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
"Involuntary Separation" seems to have replaced "Termination" around here.

Last edited by DivineComedienne; 06-24-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
When I worked in the 'oil patch' years ago it was "run off". As in "Hey Billy Bob, what happened to Leroy?" "Ah had to run off that damn Coonass an' he's gone to the house". My apologies to anyone living south of Golden Meadows.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM
"Blow off."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confessions of a Car Salesman
Salespeople also got fired at the drop of a hat. This was known as, "getting blown off." I came into work one morning and heard the guys talking about how another salesman got fired the night before. He had done something to a customer that the GM (general manager) didn't like. The salesman was called into the tower and he stumbled out moments later in a state of shock. He said to the other salesmen, "I don't believe it, he just blew me off." The GM saw the fired salesman talking to the other guys and charged out on the lot, screaming, "Get away from them! I don't want you talking to anyone!"
http://edmunds.com/car-buying/co...esman-pg6.html
Old 06-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Charter Member
You will be de-assimulated, resistance is irrelevent.

One time I was actually told I could have the rest of the year off.

Have a nice day!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
One time I was actually told I could have the rest of the year off.
This helps me remember how I was released from employment back in the 60's. My boss had gotten tired of me and it was no real surprise, but he eased me into my departure by saying, "You've got two weeks vacation coming, go ahead and take it. And don't come back."
Old 06-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
My favorite from a boss long ago: "He'd better shape his ass up or he's going to find himself kicking horse turds down the road."
Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Chick View Post
Depends on the person....

In the last "reduction of force" we had, two of my work friends were let go. The first I said "I'm so sorry" - her response "I'm not, I'm going to do daycare for my grandkids!" It was something we knew was coming, just not who would be affected, and she'd obviously already had the "if I get laid off" discussions. The second said "yeah, when they told me I was very sad, and I drove home and pulled over and felt.....relief. I should have left a long time ago, guess I needed the push out the door." (Both got a year in severance pay).

But yeah, when you aren't expecting it, don't have options, and/or don't have a decent severance - "right sizing" feels wrong.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 PM
After a two-week probationary period, I was told by a manager that "I'm going to take you off the clock" (as in the time clock where employees were required to "punch in" and "punch out").
Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Charter Member
Around here, you might be entered into the retain pool if your position has been eliminated.

Mainframe programmers may recognize what it means if your HR record has been scratched.

SPOILER:
scratch = delete
I have no idea why IBM didn't just use "delete" way back when.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternvogel View Post
After a two-week probationary period, I was told by a manager that "I'm going to take you off the clock" (as in the time clock where employees were required to "punch in" and "punch out").
After six months with one employer, she told me "I'm taking back operational control". I was clueless as to what that meant. The HR guy had to come and tell me that I was "being downsized at the end of the month".
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunctator View Post
Aussie must have good benefits, because when Bea Smith (double murderess at the time) was on work release, the business had a slow down so they had to stop having her come in.

Quote:
Bea) I was sacked

Meg) Business was slow you were retrenched. You'll get a good reference
Old 06-25-2011, 02:49 AM
"Given the arse"
Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Back when Nashua, a company who made ink ribbons and pressure sensitive paper and packed out toner cartridges, was operating a huge facility in Nashua, NH that was getting less and less huge as carbon paper was being phased out of use, they posted the names of people being let go on Fridays. They called it "White Out Friday" since it was happening so often they didn't print new org charts, just white out names and kept going.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Future Endeavored.

As in the e-mail notice that goes out to the rest of the company when someone is no longer with the company that ends with 'We wish so-and-so all the best in their future endeavors'.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Back in my days at Encom, we used to call it "being de-rezzed."