Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Things to do in Compton, California

Heading out to California soon. My daughter wants to visit Compton while we're there.

Now, if Google could actually return "We got nothin'" as a result, that would pretty much be what would happen if you searched for "Compton tourism." An inquiry to the Compton Chamber of Commerce went unanswered.

Wikipedia adds, not helpfully, that Compton is the 8th-most violent city in the US. But c'mon, it's not like we're visiting Yemen in US flags.

Can anyone recommend something to do - a Waffle House to visit, perhaps? - in Compton on a random weekday morning?

Thanks,

Len
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
It might help if you give your daughter's reason for wanting to go to Compton. Why did she pick it?
Old 07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _len_ View Post
Heading out to California soon. My daughter wants to visit Compton while we're there.
Can anyone recommend something to do - a Waffle House to visit, perhaps? - in Compton on a random weekday morning?
It appears that committing crimes seems to be the most popular activity in Compton .

In 2010, the CQ Press, using data from the FBI's annual report of crime statistics "Crime in the United States 2010," ranked Compton as the 8th most dangerous city in the country.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compton...a#cite_note-15
Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
She's a fan of Snoop Dogg.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
I would suggest a visit to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, but their Compton location is apparently closed. There are the others around town still.

That's all I've got, aside from "Go somewhere else."
Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Well then she needs to go to Long Beach.

Dr. Dre's from Compton.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Compton isn't exactly a war zone, but there's not much to see there. It's just a small suburb of Los Angeles. (I was also going to suggest Roscoe's; I didn't know it was closed.)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Fuck tha police.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:02 PM
The Watts Towers are pretty bitchin'. You should call up in advance and try to get on a guided tour. There's a light rail stop right nearby and it's not too terribly dangerous during the day.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Well then she needs to go to Long Beach.

Dr. Dre's from Compton.
This.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I stand corrected. Anything to do in Long Beach?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Put your hands up?
Duck and cover?
Return fire?
Squeeze the trigger, and bodies are hauled off*?

I got nuthin' useful...

SPOILER:
So very, very NSFW
Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Winner for best thread of the year!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Yeah- go to Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Sad about the change. Way back in '48 I lived in Hawthorne and took flying lessons at the Comptom airport. I rode my bike both ways. A very quiet suburb then, not much different than Hawthorn, Inglewood, etc.

Now if I took that trip, I'd prefer an armored HumVee.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
Mostly what I do in Long Beach is drive through it. However, there's the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, and the Spruce Goose. There's also a beach ... a long one. I'd suggest skipping it and heading down to Newport though. Even Dr. Dre probably prefers Newport to Long Beach.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Charles View Post
Mostly what I do in Long Beach is drive through it. However, there's the Aquarium of the Pacific, the Queen Mary, and the Spruce Goose. There's also a beach ... a long one. I'd suggest skipping it and heading down to Newport though. Even Dr. Dre probably prefers Newport to Long Beach.
The Spruce Goose has moved to Oregon, like many other Californians.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moto View Post
The Spruce Goose has moved to Oregon, like many other Californians.
Oh, no. I missed my chance to see it. For all sad words of tongue or pen (or message board), the saddest is this: "Meh."
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Charles View Post
Oh, no. I missed my chance to see it.
The museum seems to keep regular hours, and Oregon doesn't seem all that hard to get to.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Long Beach has more to see, though it too is a boring suburb of LA. Most of LA is like that. The Watts Towers are really amazing, though.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Our trip to Compton was today. We stopped at the Happy Sweet Bakery, which has really good sandwiches for $4-$5 each, plus fresh-baked pastries, cupcakes and cakes. The blended coffees are fabulous. If you're in the neighborhood I recommend it.

The place was fairly crowded at lunchtime, and counter service was tough to find. The girls ate inside while three of us decided to picnic on the grass outside the bakery.

Apparently picnicking outside in Compton is not something regularly done by tourists, because one of the Compton District Attorney staff stopped to ask, in not so many words, whether we knew what we were doing. We chatted for a while about gentrification and when he was reasonably sure we were not crazy, he left.

Total time spent in Compton: about 90 minutes.

Len
Old 08-02-2011, 02:38 AM
should've gone to Bludso's BBQ. best bbq in Southern California
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Lict View Post
The Watts Towers are pretty bitchin'. You should call up in advance and try to get on a guided tour. There's a light rail stop right nearby and it's not too terribly dangerous during the day.
[wholly tangential]
If anyone has even a mild appreciation for the Towers, then whenever you're on the east coast close to Baltimore, you must visit the American Visionary Art Museum. It has a large permanent collection and a substantial amount of space for temporary, themed exhibits (e.g., war and peace, addiction). It is spectacular.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernmentMan View Post
should've gone to Bludso's BBQ. best bbq in Southern California
Closed Mondays. It was my first choice.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
He's living in Diamond Bar, CA now. It's a upper middle class neighborhood in eastern Los Angeles County. Not much to do there as it's mostly residential, but a lot of ethnic restaurants from Vietnamese to Indian.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Lict View Post
The Watts Towers are in Watts.