Old 08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Selling a motorcycle on craigslist is... interesting

I have decided to sell my very lightly used dirtbike on craigslist.

I put up a very concise add with pertinent info and with the asking price right in the headline (actually craigslist puts it there in bold).

My first email came from a guy simply asking "how does [half my posted price] sound?"

Um, like an insult. Would it kill the guy to maybe throw in a sentence or two of some pleasantry or something, or at least a capital letter?

Next email was just as poorly written, but not so direct on price, instead asking merely how low I'd go.

For poor writing skills, I just doubled it, dummy!

Next email, again atrociously written, inquires what the price is.

Umm... the bold number in the heading with the dollar sign?!

Man, I feel sad for the human race.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I was just discussing this very thing with a friend tonight. It's awful really. I sold a TV about a week ago and had the same experience. The first email offered me exactly half of what I was asking.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
No appeal for the sake of a cripple in need of transportation to visit their child dying of leukemia. Don't worry something like that is bound to show up.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 PM
And when you finally get someone to agree to buy it, they'll bail at the last minute, or simply not show up.

Craigslist sucks.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 AM
I keep getting people asking me if I want to accept their item (worth $400) in trade for my item (worth $500).

Um, no. Fuck off.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
I keep getting people asking me if I want to accept their item (worth $400) in trade for my item (worth $500).

Um, no. Fuck off.
I had a friend say that he kept getting trade offers. I specifically put in the ad that I had no interest in any trades!

I sold a bike through the newspaper years ago and had absolutely zero mouth-breathing morons respond.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM
So... you're telling me that you put up a price for your bike on a free listing service that is accessible by anyone with net a connection, and some people are so presumptuous they are offering you substantially less than your stated price? Offers so low as to be insulting.

Good Lord, what is this world coming to that allows these insulting miscreants to roam free?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Will you ship to Nigeria?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
I'm trying to sell some bedroom furniture on Craigslist. First call I got was a couple that just wanted the headboard - no biggie - that was the piece I really wanted to be rid of, so I sold it to them. Then I resubmitted the ad without the headboard, and I've gotten 2 responses so far. The first, sent a few minutes after I posted, read:
I would like to know if you still have this item for sale,What is the last price and the present condition.
I will wait your response.
The ad clearly stated the price and the fact that the furniture is 14 years old, so it's got scratches and wear. I flagged this one for Craig.

Second response:
Hi, is the item worth the price and available for pick up ?
Um, no, I'm selling something that is absolutely not worth what I'm asking. But on the chance it was legit (altho "the item" is a tipoff that it's scammy) I replied. I got an answer back from a different email address:
Thanks for your prompt response.

I will be buying from you so please kindly withdraw the advert from
C...LIST. Please be informed that i will be paying with a certified
check from my Bank as i just moved here from IOWA on
a job transfer....

I will need the following details to mail the
payment as soon as possible..

1.Name to be on the payment__________________2..
Home address_____________ City
____________State_____________ Zip Code________________3.Cell phone
#______________________

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your money.

I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be
delivered within 2-3? working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone #
and will receive your calls via email
Yeah, I'm sure this is legit. I just wrote back and said "Never mind. Cash only." Then I reported this bozo too.

People fall for this crap??
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
So... you're telling me that you put up a price for your bike on a free listing service that is accessible by anyone with net a connection, and some people are so presumptuous they are offering you substantially less than your stated price? Offers so low as to be insulting.

Good Lord, what is this world coming to that allows these insulting miscreants to roam free?
In a nutshell, yes.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post

I'm pretty sure the point of the OP was that these miscreants exist all... and I agree.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
Man, I feel sad for the human race.
Craigslist will do that to you. The problem is, there is a real need for Craigslist in this world -- or ideally, a perfected Craigslist capable of keeping the tossers, spammers and scammers away, both on the listing side and on the buying side. As far as I can see, Craigslist does NO policing of its own site. They've never responded to any complaint I've had.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM
The thing is that some people take the attitude of it does not hurt to ask. Whenever I am selling something I generally inflate the price so that when they haggle I am getting what I want for it even after coming down quite a bit. A lot of times when I am selling something, I just want to get rid of it, for example: I had a 1991 Mazda pickup for sale. I was asking $800.00 OBO. Some young guy showed up and offered me $450.00 and I grabbed the money and ran. The reality of the situation was I was going to get my buddy to come with his tow truck and haul it to the scrapyard for me. I just wanted it gone. Another time when I was selling a custom built motorcycle I was firm on the price and was not going to budge, but it did not stop the ridiculous offers from coming in. I was not insulted because I expected it. When I sold my ATV the couple that bought it were very nice and paid what I was asking so I threw in a snowplow for it. The plow was of no use to me so I said what the hell, take this too. Needless to say they were very surprised and happy. So like I said before...You just never know, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLuvly View Post
The thing is that some people take the attitude of it does not hurt to ask. Whenever I am selling something I generally inflate the price so that when they haggle I am getting what I want for it even after coming down quite a bit. A lot of times when I am selling something, I just want to get rid of it, for example: I had a 1991 Mazda pickup for sale. I was asking $800.00 OBO. Some young guy showed up and offered me $450.00 and I grabbed the money and ran. The reality of the situation was I was going to get my buddy to come with his tow truck and haul it to the scrapyard for me. I just wanted it gone. Another time when I was selling a custom built motorcycle I was firm on the price and was not going to budge, but it did not stop the ridiculous offers from coming in. I was not insulted because I expected it. When I sold my ATV the couple that bought it were very nice and paid what I was asking so I threw in a snowplow for it. The plow was of no use to me so I said what the hell, take this too. Needless to say they were very surprised and happy. So like I said before...You just never know, so it doesn't hurt to ask.
I have no problem with them asking. I do have a problem when they ask in barely legible english that lacks grammar and sentence structure. It would be like going up to someone you're about to do business with and nonchalantly sticking your finger up your nose, dig around a bit, then plop a snot in your mouth and chew it.

Basically, if you intend to do business, then do your best to come across as an intelligent adult and not some uneducated 12 year old playing on your parent's computer.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
That's funny. I think the reason some of them come across that way is because..... they are that way. Unfortunately life is not full of people from the Dope. Generally people who join the Dope and post like that don't last long, in real life they don't just go away.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundWaldo View Post
And when you finally get someone to agree to buy it, they'll bail at the last minute, or simply not show up.

Craigslist sucks.
You forgot the worst. They make the deal and then show up with half the money and try to haggle you down on the spot hoping you will take the cash on hand rather then the agreed upon price.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I figure it goes with the ads I see that are like: "1990 video camera, beat to hell, barely works. Cost me like $500 in 1990 including sales tax. Asking $499".
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Now one guy, again with terrible grammar, wants to wire me money and have it shipped cross-country sight unseen.

Haha...HAHAHAHA...Ha!

Now how to respond to that?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:26 PM
What kind of bike is it?
Old 08-12-2011, 02:35 PM
I just googled the address he listed with his email. The guy is a known scammer (duh). Do I respond to this dirtbag, or just shrug it off.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
My Craigslist bitch: I was selling a 1989 Chrysler Town And Country minivan, still in pretty good shape but with 160,000 miles. I listed it for $3500 and nobody called or emailed. After a month, I dropped it to $2500. The first email I got after the price drop asked me what was wrong with the van since I listed it so low
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
Do I respond to this dirtbag, or just shrug it off.
Just ignore it. It's not worth your time to respond. He's just going to move on to some other mark. You learn pretty quickly to filter out the scammers. Not referring to the thing you're selling by name is a huge giveaway.

I don't mind the low-ballers. At least they're making an offer. I can counter, and we can go from there. The "how low will you go" people are just annoying. I'm not going to negotiate against myself, dude. It makes me want to send them a "basic negotiating concepts" document.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLuvly View Post
That's funny. I think the reason some of them come across that way is because..... they are that way. Unfortunately life is not full of people from the Dope. Generally people who join the Dope and post like that don't last long, in real life they don't just go away.

Yup. I've bought and sold quite a few things on craigslist and the level of basic literacy, common sense and manners is generally low. That might be location-specific - I live just north of Flint Michigan and use the Flint CL mostly - the Ann Arbor one seems to be populated by a slightly more evolved type of human.

My somewhat unrelated but not-quite CL bitch:

I have a very large dead tree that needs to be taken down. Figured I'd turn to CL services first. I called four recent posters who said they were experienced, licensed and insured.

One had "a voice mailbox that had not been set up yet."
Two were numbers that were "disconnected and no longer in service." (All the folks I called had posted within the last week or two.)
The last one I called, the guy who answered told me I had a wrong number. I double-checked and compared the number I'd called with the one in the ad: I called the number listed.

That was four out of four, as doG is my witness. Fuck craigslist "skilled services."
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
FWIW, I bought my current motorcycle from a guy on CL. (A full-dress touring bike.) Paid him almost all he was asking but got him to split the cost of a checkout at the dealer and to throw in a helmet. I'm satisfied with the deal and I think he is too.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
The last one I called, the guy who answered told me I had a wrong number. I double-checked and compared the number I'd called with the one in the ad: I called the number listed.
This could merely have been stupidity on the part of the advertiser.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:07 PM
As a general rule, I have had pretty good luck on Craigslist. Perhaps the experience varies by region.

Always make the rules for the deal clear such as "cash only, will not hold, will not drop the price any lower...." That gives me an excuse for blowing off the lame responses.

I mainly use Craigslist for advertising garage sales, stuff worth more than $10 or when I am looking for someone to plow my driveway. I list curb alerts for perennials and often get offered other plants in exchange.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I have a very large dead tree that needs to be taken down. Figured I'd turn to CL services first. I called four recent posters who said they were experienced, licensed and insured.

One had "a voice mailbox that had not been set up yet."
Two were numbers that were "disconnected and no longer in service." (All the folks I called had posted within the last week or two.)
This is reminiscent of my experiences trying to get yard/tree work done - never anyone home, crudely programmed answering machines with no callbacks etc. Occasionally I'd get through to the number listed for, say, Triple A Tree Services only to have a quavery voice answer (barely audible over the TV blasting in the background) "hello?".

But these weren't Craigslist postings - they were newspaper and even Yellow Pages ads.

A lot of people who run small businesses are totally disorganized and/or have no clue on how to present themselves in a professional manner.