Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Is The Laughing Cow real cheese?

I had one for the first time a week ago. Not because of that commercial (even though I think the girl is adorable) but because someone handed me a creamy swiss wedge and told me to eat it. I found it quite good. So now I'm eating a wedge of Laughing Cow light garlic and herb.

Like squeeze cheese (which I also love), these are far too easy to eat to be real cheese. Even though the package calls them "spreadable cheese wedges", it's gotta be processed cheez-fud.

What about Baby Bells? Where do they fall in the cheese hierarchy?

And, while we're at it, is it the ingredients or the process that differentiates processed cheese food from real cheese?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Charter Member
Google is your friend.

You can go through the products listed on that page for ingredient information. Which is milk, salt, and enzymes for the hard cheeses, and added whey and cream for the spreadable cheeses.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
If it says "cheese" on the label, it has to meet certain FTC standards. Laughing Cow is billed as cheese, so it means it uses dairy products and meets their definition for that type of cheese they are using.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
I agree completely. She is adorable.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Google is your friend.

You can go through the products listed on that page for ingredient information. Which is milk, salt, and enzymes for the hard cheeses, and added whey and cream for the spreadable cheeses.
Google is not my friend. Google pretends to be my friend and then laughs at me when my back is turned. Google is telling me exactly what the package is telling me and I know packages fudge the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
If it says "cheese" on the label, it has to meet certain FTC standards. Laughing Cow is billed as cheese, so it means it uses dairy products and meets their definition for that type of cheese they are using.
If it's swiss cheese on the package, then how come it doesn't have holes? Kraft macaroni says it's the cheesiest but there ain't no damn cheese in a Kraft dinner. And the FDA site tells me nothing about why something is cheese while something else is processed cheese food.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Charter Member
Read the FTC specs again -- it says specifically what can be called cheese and what cannot and what ingredients are allowed for each variety.

Not all Swiss cheese has holes. Laughing Cow uses real Swiss cheese, though other cheeses are blended in so it is soft instead of hard.

"Cheesiest" for Kraft is a slogan, not a description. No where does it say it is cheese; it's "macaroni and cheese," which has different requirements.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
And the FDA site tells me nothing about why something is cheese while something else is processed cheese food.
What kind of cheesy legal definition would you like?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
SDSAB
I know it marks me as a dairy philistine, but I actually like Laughing Cow cheese. At least, it'll do until I can get some true Venezuelan Beaver Cheese.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM
For what it costs, I'd hate to think I'm paying that price for fake cheese.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I just finished off a round of Laughing Cow. I don't care whether it's real cheese or not, I still love it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 PM
I frequently find myself wishing I liked Laughing Cow, since it's the only cheese that's socially acceptable to just chomp a big lump of as an adult, but I've just never liked it. Not that it's awful, just not quite my thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Slight nitpik, but those are FDA standards. Since you mentioned FTC twice, I had to point it out.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
I frequently find myself wishing I liked Laughing Cow, since it's the only cheese that's socially acceptable to just chomp a big lump of as an adult, but I've just never liked it. Not that it's awful, just not quite my thing.
I don't particularly like the other flavors, but I'm a big fan of the French Onion. Give it a try, it's pretty delicious.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
It isn't socially acceptable to eat cheese as an adult? Could you go into more detail please? I'm feeling suddenly gauche.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
It isn't socially acceptable to eat cheese as an adult? Could you go into more detail please? I'm feeling suddenly gauche.
Well, it doesn't help that I'm fat. I playing play the role of "Fat Guy Eating Block of Cheese."

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, mind.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Google is not my friend. Google pretends to be my friend and then laughs at me when my back is turned. Google is telling me exactly what the package is telling me and I know packages fudge the truth.

If it's swiss cheese on the package, then how come it doesn't have holes? Kraft macaroni says it's the cheesiest but there ain't no damn cheese in a Kraft dinner. And the FDA site tells me nothing about why something is cheese while something else is processed cheese food.
Yes, Kraft says it's the cheesiest. Notice they don't use the word cheese. The label can't lie if there are FDA regulations of how you can use a word

As for the difference: processed cheese involves taking already made cheese and grinding it up, mixing it with additives, and making another cheese-like product. Real cheese is made from milk and fermenting ingredients. The Wikipedia articles on processed cheese and just plain cheese are rather good.

As for what Laughing Cow cheese is: It's unaged cheese. There's not enough time for the bubbles to form in the Swiss.

Last edited by BigT; 08-15-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Charter Member
Laughing Cow's cow is laughing because people are uninformed enough to buy the product. It's cheese, but it's poorly made and full of air; probably the worse fromage blanc you can buy. Make your own and find out what it's supposed to taste like.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Laughing Cow's cow is laughing because people are uninformed enough to buy the product. It's cheese, but it's poorly made and full of air; probably the worse fromage blanc you can buy. Make your own and find out what it's supposed to taste like.
I gotta say, I am really not interested in developing my palate (or whatever the terminology is) to the point that I have to make my own cheese in order to truly be satisfied with my cheese flavor nuances. Seriously, I have a lot of crap to get done on a regular basis and cheese-making is just never going to be a priority for me.

Also, if this wasn't enough ammunition for you to judge me as some kind of culinary philistine, I will add that I feel the same way about coffee. If I ever develop a taste for el primo coffee and stop liking Folgers, my grocery budget will go up by some intolerable amount. So I shall continue to like Folgers just fine.

On-topic: I am actually quite surprised to find out that Laughing Cow is real cheese. I had assumed it was some sort of Kraft Singles-like "cheese product." I am intrigued now.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Slightly off-topic: they sell Laughing Cow cheese in Spain in tomato, green pepper, and ham flavors.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yes, Kraft says it's the cheesiest. Notice they don't use the word cheese. The label can't lie if there are FDA regulations of how you can use a word

As for the difference: processed cheese involves taking already made cheese and grinding it up, mixing it with additives, and making another cheese-like product. Real cheese is made from milk and fermenting ingredients. The Wikipedia articles on processed cheese and just plain cheese are rather good.

As for what Laughing Cow cheese is: It's unaged cheese. There's not enough time for the bubbles to form in the Swiss.
Thank you for explaining this as if I were an idiot. I am not being sarcastic. I am an idiot and needed this.

Quote:
I taste the Cow that Laughs and I spit sptwee!. I cannot eat such swill! If it has not passed through the enema'd intestines of an unborn calf, it cannot call itself cheese!

O.K., that was sarcastic. Like I said, I like squeeze cheese (cheese in a can) on a cracker occasionally. Kraft individual slices look, feel and taste like plastic to me. Taste. It's all in our mouths.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWhatsit View Post
I gotta say, I am really not interested in developing my palate (or whatever the terminology is) to the point that I have to make my own cheese in order to truly be satisfied with my cheese flavor nuances. Seriously, I have a lot of crap to get done on a regular basis and cheese-making is just never going to be a priority for me.

Also, if this wasn't enough ammunition for you to judge me as some kind of culinary philistine, I will add that I feel the same way about coffee. If I ever develop a taste for el primo coffee and stop liking Folgers, my grocery budget will go up by some intolerable amount. So I shall continue to like Folgers just fine.

On-topic: I am actually quite surprised to find out that Laughing Cow is real cheese. I had assumed it was some sort of Kraft Singles-like "cheese product." I am intrigued now.
Not all cheese-making is complicated or expensive. Fromage blanc is probably the easiest and cheapest to make and kits are available for the hobbyist. All that said, if what you eat works for you, who's to argue?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
I gotta say, I am really not interested in developing my palate (or whatever the terminology is) to the point that I have to make my own cheese in order to truly be satisfied with my cheese flavor nuances. Seriously, I have a lot of crap to get done on a regular basis and cheese-making is just never going to be a priority for me...
Haaa! Word.

ETA: I like the cheese but I looove the music in the commercials.

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 08-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Not all cheese-making is complicated or expensive. Fromage blanc is probably the easiest and cheapest to make and kits are available for the hobbyist. All that said, if what you eat works for you, who's to argue?
Apparently you, earlier.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by diku View Post
Apparently you, earlier.
Hey, I'm just saying it's not very well-made cheese. Some people love American cheese, which is also poorly made. If you like it, you like it; but it doesn't change the fact that there are better products available.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Hey, I'm just saying it's not very well-made cheese. Some people love American cheese, which is also poorly made. If you like it, you like it; but it doesn't change the fact that there are better products available.
I hope your realize that 'better' is relative. For my money, nothing beats a grill cheese sandwich with Deli sliced American cheese. Ditto for baked mac and cheese.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Hold on now. I never heard that American cheese is poorly made. It isn't as sharp as other cheddars because we United Statsians as a whole have a problem with too much flavor and like stuff bland. But that has nothing to do on how the cheese is made.

There would be a whole lot of upset upstate cheese makers if they read this remark. Upstate NY, that is.

Last edited by Biggirl; 08-16-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Where is my upstate anyway?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
I hope your realize that 'better' is relative. For my money, nothing beats a grill cheese sandwich with Deli sliced American cheese. Ditto for baked mac and cheese.
Didn't say I don't like it: I use American and cheddar in mac & cheese. I used to eat the stuff by the pound years ago (not the singles, which taste like plastic, though).

Biggirl: American cheese is not cheddar. Long ago, it was sometimes made from a combination of cheddar and (I think) Colby, but not anymore. If you look at the label on American, they never call it "cheese", because it's not. It's a processed food product, so they have to use a modifier like "processed" or "product" with the word 'cheese'.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Biggirl: American cheese is not cheddar. Long ago, it was sometimes made from a combination of cheddar and (I think) Colby, but not anymore. If you look at the label on American, they never call it "cheese", because it's not. It's a processed food product, so they have to use a modifier like "processed" or "product" with the word 'cheese'.
The stuff packaged in individual plastic wrapped slices is "pasteurized prepared cheese product" or some such thing. The big Boars Head (or comparable brand) block that the deli guy slices is actually American cheese.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Charter Member
hit submit too soon.

American cheese is a processed cheese, but combining two different cheeses (such as Colby and Cheddar) is enough to make it a processed cheese rather than an unprocessed one.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 AM
My favorite and most complex Laughing Cow recipe.

Warm two Laughing Cow cheeses in a small container in the microwave until they melt/are stirrable. Stir in some minced surumi/artifical crabmeat and chopped green onion.

Butter and grill one side of two pieces of bread. Spread the mixture on the bread and add a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder if desired. Kind of tastes like a crab rangoon in sandwich form, mmmm!

It could also be tweaked a little, maybe more sugar or finely minced white onion for the sweet rangoon flavor but I never thought it needed that.

I also add sliced tomato on my sandwich.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
... At least, it'll do until I can get some true Venezuelan Beaver Cheese.
“Not today sir, no.”
Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 AM
MY favorite and most complex Laughing Cow recipe...

Bite of Laughing Cow Cheese, bite of crisp, tart apple.

Repeat.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Didn't say I don't like it: I use American and cheddar in mac & cheese. I used to eat the stuff by the pound years ago (not the singles, which taste like plastic, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen View Post
The stuff packaged in individual plastic wrapped slices is "pasteurized prepared cheese product" or some such thing. The big Boars Head (or comparable brand) block that the deli guy slices is actually American cheese.
Here's an easy trick to distinguish actual American cheese from "cheese food" (which, frankly, I wouldn't feed to a pet cheese, much less a human):

If the slices need to be individually wrapped to keep from melting back into a lump, it's not cheese. It's "cheese food" or some cheeselike substance that sort of tastes like cheese and has the texture of plastic.

If the slices can be stacked without individual wrapping at room temperature and do NOT merge into a Cheese Blob then it's actual cheese. You may or may not like American cheese, but it is actual cheese.

Unfortunately, the Cheese Blob variety has become so ubiquitous (both from lower price per unit and it's usefulness in melting applications like cheeseburgers) that American cheese is actually seldom seen or eaten, even by Americans. Except that big block in the deli, where the person behind the counter slices 'em for you (or, if you ask, will carve off a hunk of cheese in block form).

When I was a kid long rectangular blocks of American were much more common, and everyone owned an actual cheese slicer at home. Nowadays, I run into kids who have never seen a cheese slicer.

Last edited by Broomstick; 08-17-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM
"Superstar"
I remember this cheese from when I was small- it came in little cubes, not wedges, and was in french: "La vache qui rit" (laughing cow). I haven't seen the cubes in ages. I used to love unwrapping the foil off each little square.

It's tasty stuff. I'll but the original in wedges and eat with an apple, on crackers or stuffed into a stalk of celery.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 AM
I just want to add:

Girls like rubies!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyper View Post
Slightly off-topic: they sell Laughing Cow cheese in Spain in tomato, green pepper, and ham flavors.
I was curious about that since I hadn't noticed them (I don't eat "quesitos", but Mom uses them for some recipes so I'll buy them for her). Turns out that those are a set pack of dice, rather than the triangles; there's another set that's flavored as either mushrooms, blue cheese or onion. I'm seriously wondering whether they're intended for the average Juanito Español or rather for the tourist/retiree market, "onion" and "blue cheese" don't sound like something most kids would be begging for but they're potato chip flavors in the UK.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I was curious about that since I hadn't noticed them (I don't eat "quesitos", but Mom uses them for some recipes so I'll buy them for her). Turns out that those are a set pack of dice, rather than the triangles; there's another set that's flavored as either mushrooms, blue cheese or onion. I'm seriously wondering whether they're intended for the average Juanito Español or rather for the tourist/retiree market, "onion" and "blue cheese" don't sound like something most kids would be begging for but they're potato chip flavors in the UK.
We have French Onion here. It's pretty good, a slight flavor but nothing overpowering. It's great for sandwiches or mixing in with noodles and the like. The original four were the normal swiss, the light swiss, french onion, and garlic (my favorite). Now they have blue cheese, sundried tomato, and chipotle. I've only tried the chipotle of the new three so far (I hate sundried tomato, won't be trying that one anytime soon) and there actually wasn't much of a taste to it. I'll have to try the blue cheese next time I see it in stores; those three are still pretty rare 'round here.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
I agree completely. She is adorable.
"Up top, sir. Awesome."
Old 10-03-2013, 05:50 PM
From my understanding, laughing cow wedges are a blend of real cheeses with a touch of milk, cream, and herbs/spices, and they taste absolutely divine.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:54 AM
I once had a woman come into the store looking for it, but quite embarrassed that she couldn't remember the name.

She and her kids call it "Mad Cow".
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Honi soit la vache qui rit.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Laughing Cow is the only cheese reasonably available in Cameroon, where it is served with baguettes as an upscale breakfast. Peace Corps volunteers (who, as a rule, miss cheese dearly) have some seriously creative Laughing Cow based recipes.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

Blessed are the cheese makers.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Quote:
I like squeeze cheese (cheese in a can) on a cracker occasionally.
Ooh, fancy! She actually puts it on something!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Do y'all realize this thread is two years old? An infant as far as zombies go, but still a zombie.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
Do y'all realize this thread is two years old? An infant as far as zombies go, but still a zombie.
I was reading along and chuckled a little at a joke someone made, and then realized it was my own post from two years ago. That's always a weird feeling.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
I was reading along and chuckled a little at a joke someone made, and then realized it was my own post from two years ago. That's always a weird feeling.
Inadvertent zombie egotism.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Inadvertent zombie egotism.
It's called knowing your audience.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
SDSAB
Great minds think alike... two years apart.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Charter Member
Aged cheese, now.

StG