Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Any ideas where to buy a new VCR?

Seriously, I just want to buy a new VCR. One that will play tapes I own, and record shows off the TV.

And I mean a VCR, not a VCR/DVD combo unit. Seems like a few years ago you could buy one for $20, now they don't exist. Yes, I have tried to buy used ones at garage sales but they never work and eat tapes.
Advertisements
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 PM
This can function as a simple VCR, but will also convert.

Oh wait: will not tape off TV. never mind.

Last edited by Maserschmidt; 08-22-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
There are some on Amazon. They're expensive.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm really curious: Why would you want a VCR?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Are you PSXer's famous "friend?"
Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM
What you are looking for is no longer made. You will have to buy a combo or roll the dice on a used one. Try eBay or craigslist.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Google Shopping has a Magnavox DVD/VCR combo that records on the VCR side for $36 (plus shipping). Yeah, you'll have a DVD player in it but it does everything a VCR should do including recording your TV shows.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:07 AM
BANNED
I've had plenty of luck getting them at thrift stores.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 AM
New might be tough. I'd hit yard sales. I bet you can get five of 'em for 25 bucks, and have a good chance that at least one would work perfectly.

Joe
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Why would you want to record new stuff to tape? Recordable discs are cheaper, and playback hardware for tapes is just going to get scarcer in years to come.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
On eBay are some stores that sell refurbished VCRs with limited warranties.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peremensoe View Post
Why would you want to record new stuff to tape? Recordable discs are cheaper, and playback hardware for tapes is just going to get scarcer in years to come.
My guess is to record a LOT of hi-fi audio.

Back in the day (and I suspect now), you could rather easily record 6 hours of CD or near-CD quality sound on a videotape set on EP.

Strangely, the sound recording format and the quality of the cheapest tapes far exceeded what was necessary for very high quality sound, and you could tape for the length of the tape.

Granted nowadays, 6 hours of cd quality audio ought to fit on a DVD-R, so maybe I'm wrong...
Old 08-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I've stocked up a few for transfer purposes. People have given me truly excellent VCRs for free, like Mitsubishi S-VHS decks. Even if you never record on S-VHS tape, the Time Base Correctors built into them will play back tapes better than anything else.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
My guess is to record a LOT of hi-fi audio.

Back in the day (and I suspect now), you could rather easily record 6 hours of CD or near-CD quality sound on a videotape set on EP.
...and do it on a timer.

We used to record my wife's radio show on a VHS deck. It would very happily record from the timer input, and we could get three of her two hour shows on one tape.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Charter Member
I have a Sony Betamax packed away somewhere ...
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
This can function as a simple VCR, but will also convert.

Oh wait: will not tape off TV. never mind.
None of them are gonna tape off TV anymore, thanks to "so much better" switch to digital. Best you can hope for is connecting a digital tuner to it via RCA (composite) cables.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
None of them are gonna tape off TV anymore, thanks to "so much better" switch to digital. Best you can hope for is connecting a digital tuner to it via RCA (composite) cables.
That actually works wonderfully well. Analog output of a digital converter box is dramatically better than the pure analog tuners in any VCR.

Also, any VCR made will tape the analog channels on cable just fine. They just won't handle digital over-the-air.

Last edited by gaffa; 08-23-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
My "new" VCR tapes off of cable just fine. I also have Blu-ray and streaming Netflix.

"new" to me. Got it refurbished from an eBay store.

Yeah, I used to use my hi-fi VCR for music, too. JVC HRD-470. Awesome little machine. Amazing reproduction of the live music from our improvised studio in the spare bedroom.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Charter Member
I still see brand-new VCR's at Wal-Mart. The manufacturers have responded to the change to digital by yanking out the tuners entirely, so the only way you can record TV is either off a digital converter or cable/satellite box.

The downside to this is that the VCR can't change channels, so if you're leaving the house and you want to record Channel A at 8:00 and Channel B at 9:00, you're out of luck.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Personally I liked the quality of the picture from a VCR tape better than the squares you get with DVD playback. You didn't have compression artifacts. I prefer the storage space and seek of DVD format.

Old VCRs always have a inch and a half plastic wheel that goes bad which drives the reel mechanism. Whenever a VCR started to eat tapes it was this wheel in every model that wouldn't rotate freely anymore. This is why I wouldn't buy a used VCR if you find one.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
I have a Sony Betamax packed away somewhere ...
I'll see your Betamax and raise you with the RCA Video Disc Player. I got one from a close friend of mine as a birthday gift about ten years ago. It was the best gag gift I've ever gotten. We hooked it up, watched Gator (One of the few movies he could find for it) and laughed and laughed and laughed. It's movies on records!!!! Who thought that would be a good idea. I still have it and a couple of movies but they're packed up in a closet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bekfDV23rGM

Last edited by monkeylucifer; 08-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I've stocked up a few for transfer purposes. People have given me truly excellent VCRs for free, like Mitsubishi S-VHS decks. Even if you never record on S-VHS tape, the Time Base Correctors built into them will play back tapes better than anything else.
I heard that you can make a better copy of a VHS tape to DVD if you use a S-VHS deck and S-Video cables. They said it works better than a regular VHS deck with composite cables. Is this true?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelUpchurch View Post
I heard that you can make a better copy of a VHS tape to DVD if you use a S-VHS deck and S-Video cables. They said it works better than a regular VHS deck with composite cables. Is this true?
It depends on the VCR. If there is a Faroudja circuit in the unit, then yes (look for the sticker on the back).
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Suspended
Professionally, I stopped buying most base end equipment anywhere but Amazon a year and a half ago. It's cheap, the shipping is usually free, and it will get the job done until your tapes wear out.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The downside to this is that the VCR can't change channels, so if you're leaving the house and you want to record Channel A at 8:00 and Channel B at 9:00, you're out of luck.
I have a couple of digital TV tuners [in the UK] that allow you to set timers such that they change channel automatically so you can record the SCART output to tape in this way. OK, a bit more complicated as you'll end up setting timers on both the receiver and the VCR but it can be done.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Anyone else wonder where the OP went?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I went back in time to find a damned VCR.