Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
"So many [something], so little time" - was first said of what?

What is the origin of the phrase in the title? It's been reiterated about so.many different things, I can't seem to find the original one.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Charter Member
There was a song written in 1934, "So Many Things, So Little Time", words by A. Harvey Lang-Ridge, music by Charles Willeby.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
1835, Honoré de Balzac, La comédie humaine of Honoré de Balzac, Volume 21:
Quote:
I cannot even profit by his journey to write you in detail about my life and occupations. I have perhaps presumed too far upon my strength in supposing I could do so many things in so little time.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Charter Member
1893, So Many Books? So Little Time? What To Do? By J. J. Wright.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 AM
so many men, so little time--Mae West
Old 08-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Purely personal memories:

1) Raising Arizona: John Goodman's character saying something like, "So many social engagement; so little time."

2) Much earlier anecdote or joke: Somebody had a railroad crosstie attached to the front bumper of a truck with lettering burned into it "So many pedestrians, so little time."

3) Perhaps even earlier references to the idea from childhood days, but surely by teen years (1950's).

No cites to speak of.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:46 PM
"There are so many worlds, and I have not yet conquered even one."

Attributed to Alexander the Great, and at least 1200 years old.

You will go along way to trump that one.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:57 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by accidental2 View Post
so many men, so little time--Mae West
While there may be earlier examples, this is certainly the best known one, and I would guess the source of its modern popularity. Although Mae West is given as the source of the quote, I haven't yet been able to track down where she is supposed to have said it. (Like Yogi Berra, West didn't actually say everything she said.)