Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 PM
My first hockey game -- where should I sit?

In December, I'm taking in my first-ever NHL game -- the Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena.

If it were a baseball game I'd be able to tell good seats from bad. But I've never seen hockey, never been to that venue...and trying to surprise my friend, who's a huge fan, with good seats (budget permitting).

If anyone familiar with the arena can offer tips, that's great...or if there are just general tips for hockey games, that's great too.

Thanks in advance,
E.

Last edited by E. Thorp; 10-07-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan
The best seats in the house depend on your preference. For the best view of the game, you want to sit at centre ice, preferably in the first deck of the arena. Such tickets may be hard to come by.

For big bucks you might want seats right at the glass. These do not offer as good a view of all the action but do offer a really close up view of the play near you, and it's really quite an experience. Again, these will not be easily had.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 PM
If you can't get centre ice, decide if you'd rather watch your preferred goalie work or prefer to watch your attackers play and pick a zone accordingly. Here's a map of Nationwide Arena, so you can see where the sections are relative to your team's bench. I prefer to be opposite the bench, because it's easier to watch line changes and player behaviour from the other side rather than above.

Have fun! I wish I could afford to go to an NHL game this year...we'll make do with the AHL in our budget!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks to you both. Tickets were still available -- and, uh, kinda-sorta affordable -- at centre ice in the first deck, so I took the plunge and ordered. This will be fun! Much obliged.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
If you can't get centre ice, decide if you'd rather watch your preferred goalie work or prefer to watch your attackers play and pick a zone accordingly. Here's a map of Nationwide Arena, so you can see where the sections are relative to your team's bench. I prefer to be opposite the bench, because it's easier to watch line changes and player behaviour from the other side rather than above.

Have fun! I wish I could afford to go to an NHL game this year...we'll make do with the AHL in our budget!
I am not an expert by any means, but I like to sit in the middle in a corner. I find it gives good perspective on the action at each end of the ice and isn't too high. I go to AHL games too ( in Cleveland ) and they fit my budget nicely.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
I've been to many games at Nationwide Arena in Columbus. I always liked to sit behind the goalie because I love watching goalie work. However, you've got your tickets so this doesn't matter. I'd suggest getting to the Arena District early. Wander around and grab a few brews, or your drink of choice. I'm hoping they still sell Donatos pizza at the arena. If so, enjoy, it is pretty good. Most of the bars and restaurants on High St will be fun places to hang out.

Last edited by dalej42; 10-07-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I always try to sit about the blue line in the attacking zone. But not too close to the glass that you will have trouble seeing the opposite end of the ice. So about the top half of sections 113, 114, 104, and 105 in mnemosyne's link above. Behind the goal isn't bad either. Interesting perspective on the action.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't live in Ohio but my experience is to sit somewhere center ice behind the benches. That way you can tell what players are going on ice by their numbers. I prefer to sit a littte high, both because of price and while if you are close you can certainly see the speed of the players and how the puck bounces, the glass can muffle the sound. Above the glass, you can hear the sounds of the game better.