Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Hemicorporectomy Cut in Half to Live

I thought this might be of interest to some. I had a very rare operation in May 2011. It is called a Hemicorporectomy. ALL of my body from about an inch bellow belly button was cut off to save my life. i have a site at hemicorporectomy.org and this is a link to a news story they done. I am working on getting a team together so I can stand,walk and wear normal clothes again.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CqwJyxtY9jE
#2
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,650
Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for sharing this. I've read the Wiki page on hemicorporectomy quite a while ago, and found it fascinating ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemicorporectomy )



















There had been a link from that article to a blog by someone who said that they had undergone the procedure, but others questioned whether it was real or not. (see the Discussion page on Wiki) Your username matches the the name on the YouTube video for an identified person with an active blog, so I'm sure you're the real deal. By the way, you might want to link to the blog: http://hemicorporectomy.org/my-blog
#3
Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 22,322
If your genitals are gone, do you still have sexual thoughts/feelings?
#4
Old 10-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 900
That was fascinating and not something I'd seen before. The youtube comments are interesting (and thankfully mostly positive, as far as I could see), but it must be weird to have to refute rumors of your death.

If I can ask a question, how is your son doing with all this? He seemed really supportive in the video, but having lost my own father not quite a month ago, I'm sure it's been an emotional time just worrying about you and hoping for the best.

Thank you for sharing your story!
#5
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: I'm back, baby!
Posts: 2,667
What was the disease/trauma that required this extreme measure? When I looked on your blog for information under "Medical" the longest section was a write up regarding the BDSM lifestyle.
#6
Old 10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
So... is this the offical "Ask a hemicoporectomy patient..." thread?

I had heard of the surgery, but wasn't aware of any living folks currently. Wow, that's a tough row to hoe and good for you for being such a survivor. I like that you don't hide the suck and side effects - too often these news stories turn into sugar-coated "oh, isn't that wonderful!" sorts of things and the reality of being disabled is that there is much suckage, even if said person is glad to be alive and finds much joy in living.

I hope things improve for you as time goes on. I wish I could kick a few bucks your way, but I just don't have anything right now. Wish we could paint your van for you, too, but we're a little far from Kentucky right now and don't have the bucks to spring for the proper paint, even if we do have a kick-ass airbrush.

I was just wondering - want is the one thing in your life right now that could make the biggest positive change for you? What do YOU feel you need the most right now? Could be anything, from trivial to major.
#7
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 4,799
Wow, you seem to be an amazingly resilient person.
You definitely haven't had an easy life, but it sounds like you're coping with it all better than a lot of people would.

Last edited by lavenderviolet; 10-29-2011 at 12:40 PM.
#8
Old 10-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Always moving
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliBean View Post
What was the disease/trauma that required this extreme measure? When I looked on your blog for information under "Medical" the longest section was a write up regarding the BDSM lifestyle.
The youtube video explains this. Angel is described as a paraplegic since the age of 2 who developed a pressure sore that got badly infected down to the bone.

Angel, what caused your condition at the age of 2? What adaptations can be made to enable you to be safely restrained into a vehicle for better transportation?

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.
#9
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Mid Atlantic, USA
Posts: 8,857
Can I hazard the guess that spina bifida is most often the condition that would require this procedure? Especially, in the case of a person paraplegic at the age of 2?

Angel, it is nice to have you join us, and your situation is certainly interesting to many in addition to being whatever problem it is. If you are willing to share a bit about it, that is most appreciated!

Good luck!
#10
Old 10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
I also invite Angel to stop in at any other thread that captures her interest as she is, of course, much more than just her disability and (almost) unique amputation. I noted from her blog that she plays WoW - please, Angel, do step into the New WoW General Discussion Thread sometime.
#11
Old 10-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,849
Fascinating! Very impressed by your attitude as expressed in the clip. It looks as though you have an excellent support system with family and friends. Best of luck!
#12
Old 10-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: I'm back, baby!
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillrod View Post
The youtube video explains this. Angel is described as a paraplegic since the age of 2 who developed a pressure sore that got badly infected down to the bone.
Thank you. I was doing some fancy fast phone flipping at the time.
__________________
There is no emoticon for what I am feeling!
#13
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Soviet Canuckistan
Posts: 5,732
Welcome to the Dope, Angel1366.
#14
Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
from Angel to try and answer the questions.

Thanks for all the replies I will try to answer some of the questions. At age 2 I just stopped being able to stand. No One could really give me a reason. I was a Partial T5 Para. I have 3 grown kids Only one still at home with me. I got many pressure sores over those years . For 6 years I did not have any but the damage had already been done,. Inside my bones were being eat away. By the time we found out this operation was my own opinion to live. Yes I have bad days. Sometimes I really still lose it and brake down in tears begging to wake up and this not be true. Then I pull myself together and go on another day. Some days I take one day at a time but other days I take an hour at a time and rare days one minute at a time. But at least I am alive to have these types of days. I am working very hard to get a team together to make me a new bottom of me to walk.
Yes I still have sexual feelings and thoughts and yes some nights I cry my eyes out because the feelings are so strong and nothing I can do about them.
I live in New York now. My two other kids are in Kentucky.
One asked what would help me. well I have many dreams. But I would love to find clothes where I still looked good and felt sexy. Tired of tee shirts. My other thing I am working on is going to see Jeff Dunham. He made my life easier when I was going through all of this. I wrote him and told him this.
I look forward to getting to know you all and join other talks.
I love to write and have two books I am working on. I have some poems not sure if is a place here for things like that.
And thanks for thinking of me about your air brush skills, I want to do it in pastel colors with hemi girl down the side. So maybe you can give me some tips on what types of paint and questions I should ask when i do get the money to do this to be sure to pic the right place.
ok hugs all around.
Angel
My son is doing great. Yes this was hard on him but he uses humor to help him. And on my day of operation.. Friends he never meet on WoW kept him busy and stayed with him via the game. Friends and family don't always have to be right next door to help.
#15
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2010
Location: L x Heaven R x Hell
Posts: 2,306
Wow, Angel1366. Just..wow. (Not WoW...of that I know nothing I tells ya - nothing!)

You don't have courage and determination to live; you are those things.

Forget about wearing "normal clothes again" - start designing that Superhero ensemble simply because that is befitting of who you are.

You are truly amazing, and incredibly inspiring. You may be half the person you were, and still, you're a thousand-fold more than I could ever be.

I hope your 'down' days are fleeting. Because you're one helluva woman.
__________________
Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, & Derision
#16
Old 10-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 14,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
Thanks for all the replies I will try to answer some of the questions. At age 2 I just stopped being able to stand. No One could really give me a reason. I was a Partial T5 Para. I have 3 grown kids Only one still at home with me. I got many pressure sores over those years . For 6 years I did not have any but the damage had already been done,. Inside my bones were being eat away. By the time we found out this operation was my own opinion to live. Yes I have bad days. Sometimes I really still lose it and brake down in tears begging to wake up and this not be true. Then I pull myself together and go on another day. Some days I take one day at a time but other days I take an hour at a time and rare days one minute at a time. But at least I am alive to have these types of days. I am working very hard to get a team together to make me a new bottom of me to walk.
Yes I still have sexual feelings and thoughts and yes some nights I cry my eyes out because the feelings are so strong and nothing I can do about them.
I live in New York now. My two other kids are in Kentucky.
One asked what would help me. well I have many dreams. But I would love to find clothes where I still looked good and felt sexy. Tired of tee shirts. My other thing I am working on is going to see Jeff Dunham. He made my life easier when I was going through all of this. I wrote him and told him this.
I look forward to getting to know you all and join other talks.
I love to write and have two books I am working on. I have some poems not sure if is a place here for things like that.
And thanks for thinking of me about your air brush skills, I want to do it in pastel colors with hemi girl down the side. So maybe you can give me some tips on what types of paint and questions I should ask when i do get the money to do this to be sure to pic the right place.
ok hugs all around.
Angel
My son is doing great. Yes this was hard on him but he uses humor to help him. And on my day of operation.. Friends he never meet on WoW kept him busy and stayed with him via the game. Friends and family don't always have to be right next door to help.
You are a very courageous lady. I can't even imagine what it must be like. I get panicky at the smallest chest pain, to decide to amputate the lower part of your body..........wow, that takes something I am pretty sure I will never have.

The video says that you will be looking for prostetic legs to walk again, has anyone figuered out how that will be done?

ETA: By "will be done" I mean how will the legs allow you to walk, as the entire lower body is gone.

Last edited by AK84; 10-31-2011 at 06:49 AM.
#17
Old 10-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
One asked what would help me. well I have many dreams. But I would love to find clothes where I still looked good and felt sexy. Tired of tee shirts.
You've mentioned this several times, and it's obvious that it is important to you.

In the videos the shirts you've worn look pretty good to me, but of course this isn't about MY perceptions, it's about YOURS.

I'm wondering if we could harness some of the creativity and know-how of the SD to help you with this. Sort of a "Dress Hemigirl Sexy Project". We have both crafters and fashion types out here. Surely we can come up with something.

The first step would be for you define what you consider "good-looking" and "sexy". Maybe it's a type of shirt. Maybe it's fabric. Maybe it's accessories. Maybe some of all of the above. I really want to help you with this. You've got "body image" issues like no one else I've ever met before, it seems that anything you can do to help you be more comfortable in the body you have would be a blessing.

I wouldn't want to start such a thread without your consent/permission, though, since it's such a personal issue for you. You've already mentioned your feelings about depending so heavily on others, I don't want to inadvertently take more control from you even if my intentions are good.

Quote:
And thanks for thinking of me about your air brush skills, I want to do it in pastel colors with hemi girl down the side. So maybe you can give me some tips on what types of paint and questions I should ask when i do get the money to do this to be sure to pic the right place.
I'll ask my spouse about that, as he is the family expert. It may be a bit, though, as I just started a new job, our schedules aren't in synch yet, and things are a bit hectic right now.
#18
Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 852
Wow, your story is so interesting, I love how the news story at times union describes your personality.
I'd be happy to help think of clothing ideas for you, but I agree that we could use some help with what YOU consider to be sexy and fun. What colors, fabrics, designs are you into? Feel free to link to images and maybe the other creative folks can come up with some designs for you!

I'm a knitter and a bit of a seamstress myself, so I'd be happy to help in any way. I personally love making fingerless gloves, if you want a pair I'd be happy to knit up something funky for you!
#19
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,012
That was a fascinating and inspiring video. It sounds like you have an exceptional medical team as well as a wonderful partner and son to help you through this. I love the commitment you have to reaching out to others who are going through the same thing.
#20
Old 10-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Bama
Posts: 10,747
An incredible story, Angel. It's an honor to have you here, and I hope you stay and share your experiences for a long, long time.
#21
Old 10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,142
I don't want to make this about the unpleasant stuff, but do you get phantom pain?
#22
Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
More from Angel

Thanks for the replies.
About phatom pain.. I do at times feel like i am setting on my tail bone(which I don't have LoL) but not really pain just odd. I do feel my legs that are not there but again not pain just that like if i lay on edge of bed i can feel my legs hanging off the bed. to be honest i kind of like that. At times it can center me when upset. Odd? not sure just seems to help. My pain that I have is in what body i have left. in ribs, back, chest.

Thanks about clothes. yes the shirts I wore for the two news stories are two I have found I like. two of only about 3. What I am looking for is like a dress for my height 2ft 11. where you can tell where breast line is and waist. well what i call my waist which is right under breast. then the bottom hang like a dress. I love reds, black, silver, gold, and sparkly things. V necks. I got a breast reduction when I was cut off so might as well have a nice v neckline. smiles. when in the bucket and out I would like to have clothes that draw attention instead of my lack of legs. hard to explain, wish i could draw. I have started doing odd eye make up that seems to help draw attention away from the no legs. I do like butterflies, even done tiger look. Is some pics on my facebook. [email protected]

about legs, yes I am working on getting a team together. hanger, (the guy who made the dolphin tail and RPI so far have stepped up to say they will join me in this adventure.

One big problem which from studing the few who have had this operation, many have this same problem. there is a spot on my back that still has not healed from the operation. I go to wound care, have tried a wound vac so far it is still there. I know it will heal in time.

I hope by this time next year, I have new legs and can go visit my other two kids I have not seen in 6 years. I also hope to be in a house with a small garden. I know in God's time it will all happen. Just God's time is not always the fast right now time we wish for.

Going to take a nap. Talk to you all soon.
Angel
#23
Old 10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by drillrod View Post
The youtube video explains this. Angel is described as a paraplegic since the age of 2 who developed a pressure sore that got badly infected down to the bone.

Angel, what caused your condition at the age of 2? What adaptations can be made to enable you to be safely restrained into a vehicle for better transportation?

Thank you for sharing your inspiring story.
I got a van now where I can stay in my chair. This has helped a lot.
No one really could tell me what caused me to stop walking. Finally I decided the why would not change anything so now I try to focus on how to keep going.
Angel
#24
Old 10-31-2011, 04:26 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Thank you for sharing your story.
#25
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
About phatom pain.. I do at times feel like i am setting on my tail bone(which I don't have LoL) but not really pain just odd.
Was any of your spine removed above the sacrum?
#26
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Was any of your spine removed above the sacrum?
my spine was cut between L3 and L4. so that is where the back of my body ends. the front is just about an inch bellow belly button.
I joke that I am like Slimmer from Ghost buster's just with a prettier face. LOL
Angel
#27
Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Angel, I just watched your video. You are a lovely, lovely woman, and I'm not just saying that because of what happened to you. You're brave and sweet.

BTW, interestingly enough, I am your neighbor. I live in Albany. I was surprised to see Albany Medical Center and Mechanicville in that video. I may see you out and about. Shall I say hello?
#28
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
My pain that I have is in what body i have left. in ribs, back, chest.
Is that from the surgery? From scarring? From the pressure of the bucket after hours of being in it?

Obviously there was no intention to leave you in pain, but I'm curious if there is a known reason why you would have that pain? Or is it that this is so uncommon a procedure that that was an unpredictable outcome?
#29
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Mitt
Posts: 14,067
Wow, Angel. You're an amazing person... best of health and life to you and your family.
#30
Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 31,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
my spine was cut between L3 and L4. so that is where the back of my body ends. the front is just about an inch bellow belly button.
I joke that I am like Slimmer from Ghost buster's just with a prettier face. LOL
Angel
Heh. Much, much prettier.
#31
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
You've mentioned this several times, and it's obvious that it is important to you.

In the videos the shirts you've worn look pretty good to me, but of course this isn't about MY perceptions, it's about YOURS.

I'm wondering if we could harness some of the creativity and know-how of the SD to help you with this. Sort of a "Dress Hemigirl Sexy Project". We have both crafters and fashion types out here. Surely we can come up with something.

The first step would be for you define what you consider "good-looking" and "sexy". Maybe it's a type of shirt. Maybe it's fabric. Maybe it's accessories. Maybe some of all of the above. I really want to help you with this. You've got "body image" issues like no one else I've ever met before, it seems that anything you can do to help you be more comfortable in the body you have would be a blessing.

I wouldn't want to start such a thread without your consent/permission, though, since it's such a personal issue for you. You've already mentioned your feelings about depending so heavily on others, I don't want to inadvertently take more control from you even if my intentions are good.


I'll ask my spouse about that, as he is the family expert. It may be a bit, though, as I just started a new job, our schedules aren't in synch yet, and things are a bit hectic right now.

I echo these sentiments. I'd be happy to help, either in sewing something, donating fabric, whatever. Let us know.
#32
Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,246
Welcome to the Dope, Angel. You're going to like this place.
#33
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Like me it never sleeps.
Posts: 4,595
Thanks for sharing your incredible story, Angel.

I'm thinking of your description of your ideal shirt/dress.... Over the past several years the empire waist blouse has made a big comeback. Might not something like this or this suit you, perhaps with some altering as necessary? Here's a long sleeve version. You can also search for babydoll dresses (the style, not the toy!) which tend to be empire-waisted as well.

Anyway just wanted to throw those ideas out there. Thanks again for introducing yourself, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here at the Dope!
#34
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 39,367
Thanks for sharing, Angel, and for being here. I once had a coworker who was born with a body similar to what you now have, and it was amazing to see her doing all the things everyone else did . . . only differently.
#35
Old 11-01-2011, 07:21 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
Of course, there's a HUGE difference between being born that way and it being a sort of "normal" for the person born that way, and suddenly becoming that way after 40+ years of having legs and hips.
#36
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
Thanks for sharing your incredible story, Angel.

I'm thinking of your description of your ideal shirt/dress.... Over the past several years the empire waist blouse has made a big comeback. Might not something like this or this suit you, perhaps with some altering as necessary? Here's a long sleeve version. You can also search for babydoll dresses (the style, not the toy!) which tend to be empire-waisted as well.

Anyway just wanted to throw those ideas out there. Thanks again for introducing yourself, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here at the Dope!
The Long sleeve shirt is very very pretty. and sexy. yes that is like what i was thinking in how made except to be longer since would be all I was wearing.
saving picture.
Angel
#37
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
Thanks for sharing your incredible story, Angel.

I'm thinking of your description of your ideal shirt/dress.... Over the past several years the empire waist blouse has made a big comeback. Might not something like this or this suit you, perhaps with some altering as necessary? Here's a long sleeve version. You can also search for babydoll dresses (the style, not the toy!) which tend to be empire-waisted as well.

Anyway just wanted to throw those ideas out there. Thanks again for introducing yourself, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here at the Dope!
WOW the whole site at vENUS HAS tons of great shirts the type I was thinking of. Wonder if they would do a hemi Line. LOL. this site gives great ideas and puts a picture to the look I am talking about thanks for showing me.
Angel.
#38
Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Thanks for sharing, Angel, and for being here. I once had a coworker who was born with a body similar to what you now have, and it was amazing to see her doing all the things everyone else did . . . only differently.
Some people are born with no hips and legs. the difference in hemicorporectomy and that is that we have no buttucks, sexual parts, or bladder. I read of a person like you are talking about that even had two kids, she was very brave and wonderful.
Angel
#39
Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: The Middle of Nowhere, WI
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel1366 View Post
Some people are born with no hips and legs. the difference in hemicorporectomy and that is that we have no buttucks, sexual parts, or bladder. I read of a person like you are talking about that even had two kids, she was very brave and wonderful.
Angel
I wonder if this is a reference to Rosemary (Rose) Siggins. She has been featured in at least one documentary. She had sacral agenesis and actually did have a full body when she was born, but her legs were deformed and useless, and her parents decided to have her lower body removed when she was very young so she would have better mobility. She is truly amazing. You can easily Google her for more info, and she has a Facebook page under her own name.
#40
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 453
Thank you for sharing, Angel.

As for clothing, you might look at local colleges and see if any have fashion design programs - designing a dress for you would make a really great assignment for an upper-level course. Many instructors enjoy the opportunity to tie a course into the community and real peoples lives like that. Barring that, you might be able to hire a student or recent grad to make some pieces for you for affordable rates, and the department office would be a good place to find a list.

Actually, you mention that some engineers at RPI are going to be working on your new legs right? Looks like RPI has an annual fashion show, sponsored by the Black Students Alliance. http://bsa.union.rpi.edu/ This site is out of date, but I see elsewhere on the web it's an ongoing yearly thing. Maybe some of those students might be interested in a cross-disciplinary project...
http://bsa.union.rpi.edu/?p=94
#41
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
I wonder if this is a reference to Rosemary (Rose) Siggins. She has been featured in at least one documentary. She had sacral agenesis and actually did have a full body when she was born, but her legs were deformed and useless, and her parents decided to have her lower body removed when she was very young so she would have better mobility. She is truly amazing. You can easily Google her for more info, and she has a Facebook page under her own name.
Yes Rose is who I was talking about. The LONG night when I decided to go find an operation to save my life she is who I found. She is who made me see I could live At the time I did not know I would have to have more than hips and legs removed. But my point is she is who got me headed in the direction to save my life. Thanks for her facebook, I think I will drop her a line to let her know the impact she made in this stranger's life.
Angel
#42
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lovely Margo Lane View Post
Thank you for sharing, Angel.

As for clothing, you might look at local colleges and see if any have fashion design programs - designing a dress for you would make a really great assignment for an upper-level course. Many instructors enjoy the opportunity to tie a course into the community and real peoples lives like that. Barring that, you might be able to hire a student or recent grad to make some pieces for you for affordable rates, and the department office would be a good place to find a list.

Actually, you mention that some engineers at RPI are going to be working on your new legs right? Looks like RPI has an annual fashion show, sponsored by the Black Students Alliance. http://bsa.union.rpi.edu/ This site is out of date, but I see elsewhere on the web it's an ongoing yearly thing. Maybe some of those students might be interested in a cross-disciplinary project...
http://bsa.union.rpi.edu/?p=94
Thank you for the great tips. I will look into them. I saw MANY I liked on the Venus site. I was in heaven just looking at them. Even saw a fake leather one and I love leather,. But the price tags are to high for me. Only making 697.00 a month has made me have to put many things that i feel will help me emotionally on the back burner. I am thinking I can use the pictures from Venus site to show others the type of things and then find someone who can make them if I get materials. Even if I have to get like one every other month. It will be worth it.
I found a shirt in closet yesterday.. well my partner did. I can't get to my closet.(another long rant I might yet into one day). Anyways I tried it to see if would still fit and look good and it did. As odd as this may sound I was going to the doctor and so many people told me how nice I looked it helped me a lot.
So I was rambling. smiles.
again thanks for sites and ideas I will work on them.
Angel
#43
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
a poem I wrote about how i feel many days.

By Darkness Comes Light

In The Darkness she finds herself whole,

In The Darkness she can see all

In The Darkness to her is the brightest light



By Day she finds only fragments of what use to be

By Day she only can see what others see

By Day she canít truly be free



In The Darkness stirs all those things she use to feel,

In The Darkness she longs for the touch of old

In The Darkness she remembers the feeling



By Day she is numb to herself and feelings of olde

By Day her desire hides out of fear

By Day she tries to forget what is left to feel



In The Darkness she is happy and dreaming

In The Darkness she is able to be weak yet stronger

In The Darkness she is able to pretend and believe



By Day she puts on a face of brave

By Day she shows strength though she is weak.

By Day she pretends to believe



For one like her she awaits the night

For one like her she tries to make the night never end

For one like her she can only truly see in the darkness of the night.



By Day she closes her eyes and silently prays,

"Oh Powers Greater than thee

Bring on the night, I pray

So that I may see"
#44
Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by choie View Post
Thanks for sharing your incredible story, Angel.

I'm thinking of your description of your ideal shirt/dress.... Over the past several years the empire waist blouse has made a big comeback. Might not something like this or this suit you, perhaps with some altering as necessary? Here's a long sleeve version. You can also search for babydoll dresses (the style, not the toy!) which tend to be empire-waisted as well.

Anyway just wanted to throw those ideas out there. Thanks again for introducing yourself, and I hope you'll enjoy your time here at the Dope!
Angel, did you get my PM the other day? I suggested this type of dress! It's pretty easy to make if you have the right measurements. I'm willing to help, and I wonder if we can start a thread in Cafe Society...others here are better at sewing than I am, I'm sure.
#45
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenPained View Post
Angel, did you get my PM the other day? I suggested this type of dress! It's pretty easy to make if you have the right measurements. I'm willing to help, and I wonder if we can start a thread in Cafe Society...others here are better at sewing than I am, I'm sure.
Yes I got your post. I had posted here about it. maybe it got mixed in all my rambling. I loved the site you sent me. I been in heaven looking at the tops and some of the short dresses.
Yes any help would be great and appreciated. Thank you.
I do need some sleeve, as my breast operation did not go as we hoped and I have like extra breast tissue under my arms so no sleeves makes me uneasy. But the breast themself turned out nice.Smiles. I have been told I can go have the other part fixed but since age 11 I have had 55 operation and not sure I want another one.
Thanks again for all searching I know you must have done to find the site. I hjave it open in browser still and keep looking at them. smiles.
Angel

I will get some measurements. Will be two sets as one is when in bucket and one is when not in bucket. I also want to find something that can help me get my belly to not just flop . With no spine when I set everything just goes round. I was teasing my partner yesterday about i should talk all pictures laying down where i have a shape. LOL. I have found it hard to find a body shaper that don't fasten between legs.

Last edited by Angel1366; 11-02-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: to add measurements statement
#46
Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beffnal Green innit
Posts: 8,085
You have a really lovely voice - where's that accent from? If you can, maybe you should do podcasts of your blog posts.

It might sound crass, but how did you cope with having to have breast reduction surgery in with all this? I mean, I know it was essential, but it's still more of you and it's a particularly, heh, sensitive part of you.
#47
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 10,775
You link to the Wikipedia article. Would you be willing to be photographed and donate a picture to the article? It may prove helpful for others who may need to undergo this procedure.
#48
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
You link to the Wikipedia article. Would you be willing to be photographed and donate a picture to the article? It may prove helpful for others who may need to undergo this procedure.
I am not sure how to do that. I don't mind doing it just did not know I could.
Any information would be nice.
I do have my blog/website link on Wiki.

On a side note I wanted to let everyone know what has been going on.
I had to have hyperbaric treatments so every day I was gone like 4 hours. Not much time for posting.
I go to a wound Dr next week and find out if I have to do more of the treatments for my wound (left over from the operation) or if I will be having it closed with an operation. I will keep more in touch as I can.
Angel
#49
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 15,111
Nice to hear from you again. Your strength is inspirational.
#50
Old 02-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 25,681
Just wish to echo the "nice to hear from you again" and wish you well.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: gordon rosewater insurance pronunciation stress lebanese tea soviet russia meme hobbit text garrote for sale 99.7 fever elastic allergy solvent for wax is zero finite plane fins fat riker major oliver horton female protective cup ricearoni commercial beagle ridgeback mix leg swinging machine altimeter barometers cream puff war drunk roommate peeing in bleach fbi cjc meaning knicker gusset lbj bathroom 1945 houses percocet high dosage loud gunshot barney rubbles job tree joke neti pot troubleshooting biopsy abbreviation unions and socialism can you drive with one eye do centipedes eat cockroaches when does fedex deliver in my area vacuum operated windshield wipers how tall is conan o'brien in feet prego or ragu sauce passing gas while urinating selling flowers on the street words in spanish that start with rr saluting while walking with an officer kb national research complaints patron saint of america difference between a lake and a sea what is double malt scotch why don't they make the whole plane out of the black box how to replace the inside of a toilet tank north face vs columbia winter jackets drink in the morning god made man colt made them equal julia grey dave matthews ex-girlfriend can a payroll direct deposit be reversed swollen vein under armpit walgreens ink refill service deposit slip routing number different than check how tall was moses how to keep a mirror from fogging up in the shower how to fix a stripped screw hole in metal old school boxing stance how to use a checkbook register if you hit a deer can you keep it dilute etg urine test did native americans have horses my 600 pound life zsalynn 2016