Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Charter Member
WTF do people do to rental DVD's?

I live right by a Red Box and a Blockbuster Express. So I rent a lot of movies on a whim. WTF? Why are so many scratched up? Are people doing this shit on purpose? I'm not talking dirt or a couple of streaks. I'm talking scratches like yo' mama does down yo daddies back!

Are some of you giving these to your un-de-clawed cat to play with? WTF?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 AM
My brother grabs CDs and DVDs with the whole hand, and that hand can be as dirty as it is - given that he's a construction foreman and his wife's honey-do list includes things like "rebuilding a whole house", that can be extremely dirty.

The first time I saw him do it that way, I told him how to do it properly. He pouted "bah, won't hurt them none." "OK, so if you want to do that to your disks, do it, but not to mine. Mine, clean hands, thumb in the hole and a couple of fingertips at the edge." " O... K..."

He scratched one of the disks in Littlebro's copy of Fallout 3. Littlebro's salutation for several months was "well, where's my replacement disk?" Oh yes, he did get a replacement disk - and when the first one turned out to be a badly-pirated copy, held out for a new copy of the game: several more months of "well, where's my replacement disk?"

He whines that "DVDs don't last shit!" and Littlebro and I look at each other and say "gee, wonder why? Ours do last!"

So in at least the one case I personally know of one person whose disks don't last shit and are often not so much scratched as gouged, it's a case of stupidity rather than malevolence; apparently Middlebro just can't grok that grabbing a DVD with your whole unwashed hand while drywalling or handing one to your toddler to play with on the sandy floor is likely to cause damage.

Last edited by Nava; 11-02-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 AM
I've noticed this also. And here's how I would phrase the question: When I complain to them about the scratches, and they send me a free replacement, what happens to the one I complained about? Do they take it out of circulation, or do they at least count up the complaints, and remove it from circulation when the complaints reach a certain number?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
My brother grabs CDs and DVDs with the whole hand, and that hand can be as dirty as it is - given that he's a construction foreman and his wife's honey-do list includes things like "rebuilding a whole house", that can be extremely dirty.
Ooooooo! Why don't you smack him upside the head!

I get DVDs from Netflix and often they are dirty or gross or scratched. People have no respect. My DVDs last for years, too.

Last edited by Anaamika; 11-02-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Difference of how people treat property they own and property they don't own. Ever wonder why rental cars look like shit after a year?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
DVDs from the public library can be especially bad. I've checked out some that look like they were mauled by a belt sander.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Since we seem to have a plethora of Redboxs surrounding us we have made it a habit to rent from the ones in more upscale areas. It seems the cleanliness of the discs is directly proportional to the income levels of the renters. (i.e. don't rent from the redbox at the McDonald's across the street from the subsidized housing units).
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Since we seem to have a plethora of Redboxs surrounding us we have made it a habit to rent from the ones in more upscale areas. It seems the cleanliness of the discs is directly proportional to the income levels of the renters. (i.e. don't rent from the redbox at the McDonald's across the street from the subsidized housing units).
Are you saying that the poor don't care about the property of others, but the rich do?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Are you saying that the poor don't care about the property of others, but the rich do?
I'm sorry but I've noticed the same phenomenon as Hampshire. Disks rented in upscale neighborhoods tend to be in much better shape than those in lower class neighborhoods. I've lived in both and rented DVDs from multiple sources (we had both Hollywood Video and Blockbusters in both neighborhoods).
Old 11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
The *worst* are CD borrowed from library. I used to listen to audiobooks from my local library, and apparently it's common for some people to mistake a belt-sander for a CD player.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
It may be a topic for another thread but yes, that is what he is saying and for good reason. I think you actually know this but are demonstrating knee jerk shock because you are offended by its implications. Do you honestly believe that people take better care of property in general in poorer areas as opposed to wealthier ones? We aren't comparing one person against another here. It is about DVD samples and the likelihood that they will accumulate more abuse in some areas versus others.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
It may be a topic for another thread but yes, that is what he is saying and for good reason. I think you actually know this but are demonstrating knee jerk shock because you are offended by its implications. Do you honestly believe that people take better care of property in general in poorer areas as opposed to wealthier ones? We aren't comparing one person against another here. It is about DVD samples and the likelihood that they will accumulate more abuse in some areas versus others.
I feel a scientific study coming on!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Directly, he's saying that his experience is that the rental kiosk DVDs in upscale areas are in better condition than the ones in less affluent areas. Whether this is because wealthier people are more knowledgeable about proper DVD care or because poorer people don't care about property that isn't theirs or because the lower-income kiosks are stocked with junk DVDs or even filled with angry knife-wielding gnomes is another topic.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Difference of how people treat property they own and property they don't own. Ever wonder why rental cars look like shit after a year?
On a program about short-term stock purchase vs. long term investments, the commentator made the obsrvation "nobody washes a rented car". If they haven't spent a lot of money on it and it does not have to last for a long time to satisfy them, then odds are the average Joes will not put a lot of effort into care and preservation.

I knew a guy who listened to CD's in his car, in the days before MP3. He had a stack of bare CD's in the center console, it was a dusty town, and every time he went around a corner, the whole stack slid one way then the other. He borrowed a CD of mine once, and it came back covered with parallel sets of scratches, from fine to not-so-fine. It was still playable, but a week more of this treatment it wouldn't be.

With a rental DVD, I'm sure people are sloppy - drop it or pinch it in the closing tray or stack a bunch of them on a hard surface, pick it up by sliding it across the dirty surface, who cares?

As for quality vs. neighbourhood - likely the ones in upscale neighbourhoods are rented a lot less, since there are other options like driving to a rental store, or buying the most popular discs.

Plus there's the learning curve. I used to live near a gravel highway, and the indigineous locals had never learned to slow down when passing each other, so most vehicles had at least one serious star on the windshield from flying rocks. Why didn't they slow down? Because it doesn't matter if you slow down, the other bozo flying past at 60mph will still break your windshield. Same with rentals, why take care with a disc when it still means you get crap out of the machine? All it takes is one bozo.

Last edited by md2000; 11-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM
There are differences between the two, but I see a lot of similarities between the responses in the book abuse thread and this one. In that thread, there are all sorts of ideas, from initially bending the book so it'll lay flat to "I'm loaning it, and I don't expect to get it back, so I don't care what happens to it" to [Little Nemo's[/b] post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo
As others have said, it depends on whether it was a loan or a gift. If it was a gift, it's their book and they can do whatever they want with it, including all of the things the OP listed. If it was a loan, they should treat it with the respect due to borrowed property, which precludes everything on the list.
Renting DVD's is definitely a loan, not a gift, so it seems to me that Little Nemo's idea can be expanded beyond just borrowed books.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Directly, he's saying that his experience is that the rental kiosk DVDs in upscale areas are in better condition than the ones in less affluent areas. Whether this is because wealthier people are more knowledgeable about proper DVD care or because poorer people don't care about property that isn't theirs or because the lower-income kiosks are stocked with junk DVDs or even filled with angry knife-wielding gnomes is another topic.
Another idea: the DVDs in the nice neighborhoods don't get rented as often. Affluent people are more likely to have a Netflix sub and just get them delivered to their door, or stream, or download media on iTunes, or get it some other way. Redbox et al. always struck me as kind of a po' man's thing anyway.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
We've destroyed a lot of DVDs around here. The kids watch the same few things over and over again, and they're just not all that careful about handling DVDs. I can't get all that worked up about it, but I'm inclined to think that DVDs/CDs/whatever should be harder to damage. It really doesn't take much to scratch one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
On a program about short-term stock purchase vs. long term investments, the commentator made the observation "nobody washes a rented car".
I rented a car once for a 9-day, 1800 mile road trip with the two destructive kids mentioned above. I took that car to the expensive car wash where they freaking clean everything before returning it, largely because I was embarrassed about the quantity of pretzel crumbs and french fries and whatnot the kids left behind. Judging by the reaction of the guy at the rental car place, I think it would be safe to say that very few people wash rental cars.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
Another idea: the DVDs in the nice neighborhoods don't get rented as often. Affluent people are more likely to have a Netflix sub and just get them delivered to their door,
We're far from "affluent", but we have Netflix, and have gotten quite a few DVDs that won't play. They sometimes look like they've been used as first base in a baseball game. Netflix or Redbox... it doesn't matter. Some people just don't give a shit about stuff like that. There's a mentality of "It's not mine, so it doesn't matter how I treat it."
Old 11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSaffBridge View Post
We're far from "affluent", but we have Netflix, and have gotten quite a few DVDs that won't play. They sometimes look like they've been used as first base in a baseball game. Netflix or Redbox... it doesn't matter. Some people just don't give a shit about stuff like that. There's a mentality of "It's not mine, so it doesn't matter how I treat it."
OK, but that's not the issue being discussed. People were claiming that comparatively speaking, the Redbox DVDs in nice neighborhoods were in better shape than the ones in bad neighborhoods. I posited that because people who live in nice neighborhoods are more likely to use Netflix and other services over Redbox, then those DVDs might be in better shape simply because they haven't been rented as often. If Netflix DVDs are categorically in about the same condition as Redbox DVDs (and also get rented at the same frequency, which is likely not the case), then that would actually constitute grounds for rejecting the null hypothesis that people from a higher socioeconomic status treat rented DVDs better.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Ref Rigamarole - I'm gonna posit that the nice folks at Redbox HQ are smart enough to place their machines where they get enough use to justify ther existence.

If the machine at the QuickieMart by the projects sells $100 of videos a day, they're gonna expect the one at Snooty McFruities all-Organic Lexuses-Only Market to also sell $100/day. If not, they'll pull it and put it elsewhere.

Sure there's going to be some variation in revenue from location to location. But their strategy is NOT going to be to put a Redbox at every store in town regardless of how much sales it generates.

So ballpark, each Redbox machine shouuld have DVDs with about the same number of rentals on them.

Correlation is not causation. Poor people don't trash DVDs because they're poor. They're poor because (among many other things) they have a lot of bad & unsocial habits, one of which is little respect for non-owned property, or any property at all. Or more accurately, little foresight.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-03-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
I'm gonna posit that the nice folks at Redbox HQ are smart enough to place their machines where they get enough use to justify ther existence.
Yep, I'd bet Redbox knows exactly where and how many of these machines to place. In fact some of these "locations" have 2 units side-by-side and I'd say most of side-by-side units I have seen are in nicer neighborhoods.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Poor people don't care for their own property half the time.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:19 AM
This is why we can't have nice things!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Um....I live in a pretty decent neighborhood. Middle class/upper middle class. And this shit still happens. I'm wondering if there aren't people who do this on purpose. Being a prick knows no economic level.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:42 PM
We get Netflix DVDs that look like they were used as coasters or dessert plates. Sticky. Really? They're scratched too of course, possibly forks marks.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
So ballpark, each Redbox machine shouuld have DVDs with about the same number of rentals on them.
Maybe, but I think it's fallacious to assume that. While I don't doubt that they research locations carefully, it doesn't really matter whether one box gets more action than another box (heh) as long as they are all profitable enough to justify the expense of installation and maintenance. And I really do believe the ones in poor neighborhoods are getting more action overall. Plus, there's still the possibility that both factors - rental frequency and socioeconomic status of renters - contribute to the average level of wear and tear observed.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Quote:
From what I've seen many people actually handle their own DVDs and CDs like crap. They leave in piles on top of the TV or in random locations. DVDs should only be in two places: in the DVD player or in the sleeve.

I agree that the DVDs at the library are in the worst shape.

The Netflix advice to wash the DVDs with soap and water often does work.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
The *worst* are CD borrowed from library. I used to listen to audiobooks from my local library, and apparently it's common for some people to mistake a belt-sander for a CD player.
Belt sander, eh? I was just assuming people were taking a scrubbing pad to them.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Redbox getting stocked? My theory, the Kiebler elves have branched out....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigamarole View Post
And I really do believe the ones in poor neighborhoods are getting more action overall. Plus, there's still the possibility that both factors - rental frequency and socioeconomic status of renters - contribute to the average level of wear and tear observed.
I live in an overall low-income area, and the Redbox I use at the corner 7-11 often has a line to rent and return. At the same time, I've never had an issue with the discs I get from it, but I do tend to be only renting brand new movies, not ones that likely have been in the machine for months.

So anecdotally, I guess I can say that low-income-area Redboxes do get lots of use, but can't objectively speak to the wear and tear on them.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 PM
The place I rent from has one of those cleaning/resurfacing machines. They know my face there and will often check the discs as I rent them and clean as needed.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 AM
The DVDs from rental places are never rewound properly either!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Ooooooo! Why don't you smack him upside the head!
I didn't do it when he was little and I'm not about to start now, I'm trying to get him to stop doing it to his kid and also it's one of those cases of en el pecado lleva la penitencia, "his sin is its own punishment": it's his disks that get scratched, since our side of the family won't let him get within five yards of ours.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 AM
People who handle CDs and DVDs like Edward Scissorhanded gorillas did not receive the proper training that comes only with having had your own record collection. Those lessons are ingrained, I tells ya INGRAINED...AND get off my lawn. You'll scratch it.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Sure seems that way; ever noticed that the grocery stores in poorer areas seem like they've been invaded by an angry mob, and the ones in nicer areas are much cleaner, the stuff is on the shelves in order, etc...

And it's not Joe's Poor-Guy Grocery vs. Sir. Pilkington's Snoot-o-Mart either; I'm talking about different locations of regional or national chains like Kroger, HEB or Tom Thumb.

Without fail, in my experience, the stores located in the poorer areas are messier, with stuff out of place, and generally beat to shit in a way that the stores in more affluent areas are not.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelUpchurch View Post
The Netflix advice to wash the DVDs with soap and water often does work.
Scratches aside, I'm often horrified to receive discs that look like someone ate their chicken dinner off of them. God only knows what unholy biological films I'm wiping off .
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 AM
To update my 2cents. I noticed the OP's "phenomenon" before Netflix and Redbox existed. There were only two outlets to rent from: Blockbuster and Hollywood Video. Discs in the less affluent neighborhoods looked like shit.
Buying a previously viewed DVD in those stores was fruitless; I'd return 9 out of 10 of them because they were scratched to hell. Never had that problem in the stores located in the nicer neighborhoods.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 AM
It's the same people who lay CDs/DVDs on the floor in Ebay auction photos.

Last edited by GreenElf; 12-01-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
So I just got a DVD last week that I'd been eagerly awaiting forever (not really -- I added it to my Netflix queue then forgot about it, but still!) and when it finally arrived, it wouldn't play because someone had apparently tried to clean the disk with sandpaper. People, please, DVD maintenance is not that hard!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
No kidding. I've been trying to watch The Tudors via DVDs from the library, but whoever had the disks before me scratched the fuck out of them to the point that the first episode of season 2 won't play, period. I assume that this is the same person who decided to take out all 4 seasons at once, despite the lending period on DVD sets only being 14 days...

Oh well, I asked for a Roku for Christmas and just got Amazon Prime - which has The Tudors as prime instant videos - so I guess I can wait another 4 weeks to watch the rest of the episodes.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
DVDs from the public library can be especially bad. I've checked out some that look like they were mauled by a belt sander.
That's why I examine the disks I'm borrowing from the library before I leave with them.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
That's why I examine the disks I'm borrowing from the library before I leave with them.
Please tell me you don't do that while still standing in line. And please please tell me you don't lecture the librarians if you find a scratched one.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Charter Member
No, if there's a line I step to the side so as not to interfere with traffic flow. Minor scratches I ignore, but if something major is visible I might point it out to them. I don't know why I'd "lecture" the librarians, I'm pretty sure they didn't do the damage. I might inquire if there are any notes on file, or if there is an undamaged copy.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
So I just got a DVD last week that I'd been eagerly awaiting forever (not really -- I added it to my Netflix queue then forgot about it, but still!) and when it finally arrived, it wouldn't play because someone had apparently tried to clean the disk with sandpaper. People, please, DVD maintenance is not that hard!
Maybe steel wool works better.

Reminds me of this. Actually, this is a site showing how to defraggle your computer's hard disk, but this link goes to the step where he polishes the disk surface with steel wool. Looks like it ought to work just as well on CD/DVD too, ya think?

(ETA: If you're interested, the actual defraggle happens on pages 4-5 of that site.)

Last edited by Senegoid; 12-04-2011 at 05:40 AM.