Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Drinking tequila from a sunscreen bottle?

I watch a lot of Always Sunny, and find humor in the innovative ways the gang uses to disguise their alcohol consumption. I was watching a recent episode last night, where Dee and Dennis concealed tequila in a sunscreen bottle to get around the stringent open container laws at the Jersey Shore (while Charlie, who didn't know about the tequila, was just guzzling straight sunscreen--oh, that Charlie ). So it got me wondering, is this even possible? Could you get an opaque sunscreen (or tanning lotion) bottle clean enough inside to drink out of it without ingesting chemicals? How do you know when it's clean? The appeal of this method is undeniable for sneaking drinks to the beach or sporting events. Even if you get your purse searched, what security guard is going to think twice about your bottle of sunscreen?

I'm also curious as to the other ways people have disguised their public alcohol consumption (the gang has also dispensed boxed wine into empty soda cans, which seems a lot safer than sunscreen bottles). What have you done or witnessed?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
My standard way to clean bottles is to fill them halfway with water, cap and shake vigorously, then dump it out. Repeat several times. This is mostly for recycling purposes, and not for filling it with booze. I doubt sunscreen is toxic, just foul.

A transcontinental flight last year was made more pleasant by my friend/seat neighbor who filled TSA-friendly small bottles for shampoo etc. full of vodka.

I have heard of people doing creative things with CamelBaks, but no first-hand stories.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
My sister and brother in law snuck a sunscreen bottle of vodka on a Carnival cruise we all went on as a family this past summer. They didn't report any change in taste. I think they washed it out and then also ran it through the dishwasher.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I carry a hip flask, but that's the opposite of a disguise when you drink from it.

For a few undergrad night classes, I would make an O & O (orange soda and orange vodka) in a big fountain drink cup with plenty of ice. That was quite stealthly. I just had to watch how loose my tongue got over the course of a three hour workshop.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM
I was going to say I I'd run the bottle through the dishwasher, but it seems OpalCat beat me to it (though I'd probably run it through 2 or 3 times, to be sure.) If I wanted to smuggle a clear or almost clear liquor somewhere, I'd probably just full my gray tinted plastic water bottle. Nobody questions a Nalgene bottle
Old 12-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
I carry a hip flask, but that's the opposite of a disguise when you drink from it.

For a few undergrad night classes, I would make an O & O (orange soda and orange vodka) in a big fountain drink cup with plenty of ice. That was quite stealthly. I just had to watch how loose my tongue got over the course of a three hour workshop.
When I was in undergrad and taking art classes, alcohol in class was standard. Not hidden, but out in the open. I brought in a couple of bottles of wine one time* when the whole class helped me find my engagement ring on the floor of the sculpture shop when it fell out of the supposedly-falling-out-proof necklace charm I had it hanging on. One other classmate brewed his own beer and regularly brought in several bottles to share. We had alcohol "to share" in class probably at least once a month, totally in the open.

*I also bought a few pizzas and fed the class.

Last edited by OpalCat; 12-07-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Back in the day they made binoculars that were actually two flasks. Unscrew the "eye piece" and drink. Just the thing for smuggling booze into a concert or sporting event.

As for the sunscreen bottle, I'd fill it with isopropyl alchohol, shake well, let it sit for a while, shake again and dump. Repeat. Alchohol is a pretty good solvent for greasy stuff.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
When I was in undergrad and taking art classes, alcohol in class was standard. Not hidden, but out in the open. I brought in a couple of bottles of wine one time* when the whole class helped me find my engagement ring on the floor of the sculpture shop when it fell out of the supposedly-falling-out-proof necklace charm I had it hanging on. One other classmate brewed his own beer and regularly brought in several bottles to share. We had alcohol "to share" in class probably at least once a month, totally in the open.

*I also bought a few pizzas and fed the class.
I'm jealous. I attended a dry campus, no liquor anywhere. I mean, I'm sure it was still everywhere... I would be utterly unsurprised to find vodka in what appeared to be water bottles, as Lord Il Palazzo mentioned above. But not out in the open, as such. Maybe private schools are different, I went to a Big 10 University.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I'm jealous. I attended a dry campus, no liquor anywhere. I mean, I'm sure it was still everywhere... I would be utterly unsurprised to find vodka in what appeared to be water bottles, as Lord Il Palazzo mentioned above. But not out in the open, as such. Maybe private schools are different, I went to a Big 10 University.
This was cleveland state university. 2008, 2009
Old 12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
BANNED
Drinking tequila from a sunscreen bottle?

If you do use a sunscreen bottle, be sure to fill it with Malibu. That way it also passes the sniff test at security.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm thinking some dish soap and water followed by a good rinse would take care of it. Maybe shake up and dump an ounce or two of cheap vodka to help get rid of any additional flavors. I'm sure sunscreen tastes nasty, but it's not like it's made with strychnine or anything.

I find putting appropriately colored booze/cocktails into soft drink bottles/cans works pretty well for the most part. However, when there are people actively trying to prevent such behavior (security at concerts/sporting events, beach patrol, etc) it doesn't hurt to up your game a little. One trick I learned is that a disposable coffee cup with a lid looks much more innocuous than other open containers. It's easy to "sell" the illusion by sipping gingerly as if it's a hot beverage. It's a great way to smuggle booze into bars: bouncers will think you're trying to sober up, which makes their job easier.

If you want to see some really interesting methods, google "sneaking alcohol onto cruise ships." Regular cruisers are PROS at smuggling booze!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
Back in the day they made binoculars that were actually two flasks. Unscrew the "eye piece" and drink. Just the thing for smuggling booze into a concert or sporting event.
They still make them I'm pretty sure - every time a cameraman spots one during a sporting event it makes the screen and the commentators joke about it.

Quote:
Alcohol is a pretty good solvent for greasy stuff.
Ammonia is best for greasy stuff, but then you risk your drink tasting of ammonia. Eeech!

Not alcohol-related, but once when I worked at a movie theater as a teen we had a manager who was like "do whatever you want, what the hell do I care?" He would let us take popcorn home in giant bags and we'd all go to someone's house after work and watch videos or something. One night we had the bright idea to re-use a couple of the "genuine, imitation, butter-flavored topping" jugs to embezzle soda. No. You can never get those clean enough. Ever. Disgusting.

ALCOHOL-related. I've found it ridiculously easy to smuggle margaritas or cosmos into a sporting event by putting them in a Gatorade bottle. One is green, one is red: close enough. Never had anyone be thorough enough to check the seal. I once actually managed to smuggle booze into a game in a huge soy milk bottle, lol. Like someone is bringing a huge (HUGE) bottle of soy milk to guzzle while cheering on their team. HAHAHA. Try to take in a can of pop/soda though and HELL NO!

Funniest "booze-smuggling" anecdote I remember from [strike]several years[/strike] DECADES ago: a woman was calling into a talk radio show ("Steve and Garry, Scumbag Wormy - idioooots!" For the Chicago Dopers) and was discussing how blotto she and her friends had gotten at a recent concert. (It was a hi-brow sort of show, obviously.) And when Steve asked how she'd gotten booze into the arena she said "I put flasks in a Tampax box in my purse." That is downright Chuck Norris/MacGuyver-esque.

That having been said...Once my husband and I were at a SF Giants game and sitting behind an EXTREMELY large and HARDCORE group who had somehow managed to smuggle in entire bottles of straight liquor (Smirnoff, Captain Morgan, Jack Daniels, etc.) and swigged copiously straight from the bottles.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Used to fill a water bottle w/vodka for long flights, but the new security rules after 911 ended that little scam. Far as I'm concerned, the terrorists have already won!
(Usually works at stadiums, too, though some places have gotten stricter about checking the seal).
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
My sister and brother in law snuck a sunscreen bottle of vodka on a Carnival cruise we all went on as a family this past summer. They didn't report any change in taste. I think they washed it out and then also ran it through the dishwasher.
How will a dishwasher help? Don't sunscreen bottles have pinhole-size openings?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo50 View Post
Used to fill a water bottle w/vodka for long flights, but the new security rules after 911 ended that little scam. Far as I'm concerned, the terrorists have already won!
(Usually works at stadiums, too, though some places have gotten stricter about checking the seal).
You and me both, pallie. Those were the good old days. And thanks, thelurkinghorror, for giving me the idea to put booze into the TSA-approved bottles. Maybe the good old days have returned? I've got a long flight coming up in two weeks and need all the help I can get.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Writer on the storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
I haven't scrutinized one lately, but perhaps they have plugs with the tiny openings, which can be removed. Many other containers, like for salad dressing, have this arrangement.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
I haven't scrutinized one lately, but perhaps they have plugs with the tiny openings, which can be removed. Many other containers, like for salad dressing, have this arrangement.
I'm wondering that too. I'll need to check when I get home.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
The bottles they were using were more like tanning lotion, with caps that screw off and have flip-tops. Like this.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo50 View Post
They haven't won yet. You're allowed as many single-serve "airplane bottles" of liquor as you can cram into a 1-quart ziploc bag (which is quite a few, IME). Costs a little more than filling a water bottle up with vodka, but it's still a lot cheaper than the drinks on the plane (assuming you're flying on a domestic (US) airline). It gets smiles from the TSA agents every time.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
The bottles they were using were more like tanning lotion, with caps that screw off and have flip-tops. Like this.
Ah, thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I would think that anyone hardcore enough to need their hootch that they would even consider putting said alcohol into a sunscreen bottle would not worry too much about long-term effects of ingesting sunscreen chemicals.

The orange soda ploy sounds the best to me.

~VOW
Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I made myself a purse with a false bottom for taking to concerts. The lining is velcroed on one side. If security looks in everything looks fine. The bottom is stiff, and I use a flexible bag like this, so even if they feel the bottom nothing tips them off. Pro tip- bring liquor, not premixed drinks. You can always add rum or whatever to cokes you buy at the event; if you bring premixed, there isn't enough.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I THINK the part with the tiny opening is actually a removable "plug-like" insert that can be removed. On that particular brand, anyway.

ETA: Or what Ellen Cherry already said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I would think that anyone hardcore enough to need their hootch that they would even consider putting said alcohol into a sunscreen bottle would not worry too much about long-term effects of ingesting sunscreen chemicals.
In my SIL and BIL's case it was just a matter of not wanting to pay for as many of the really overpriced cruise ship's drinks as possible. They're not alcoholics or anything, but hey, it's a cruise. Drinking is part of the experience.

Last edited by OpalCat; 12-08-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmymind View Post
They haven't won yet. You're allowed as many single-serve "airplane bottles" of liquor as you can cram into a 1-quart ziploc bag (which is quite a few, IME). Costs a little more than filling a water bottle up with vodka, but it's still a lot cheaper than the drinks on the plane (assuming you're flying on a domestic (US) airline). It gets smiles from the TSA agents every time.
Really? You're really allowed to take those through security?? I had always just assumed that since they sold them on the plane they wouldn't let you take them through... is there anywhere I can verify this? Because having a couple of drinks (no more than 2) on a flight really makes the flight a lot less miserable. (I don't like flying but I do so several times a year anyway).
Old 12-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Bacardi Limon plus a wee bit of Sprite in a Sprite bottle is the perfect parade pal.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
You and me both, pallie. Those were the good old days. And thanks, thelurkinghorror, for giving me the idea to put booze into the TSA-approved bottles. Maybe the good old days have returned? I've got a long flight coming up in two weeks and need all the help I can get.
You're welcome. Just don't sit next to someone who looks like a mooching ski bum like we did.

Quote:
Really? You're really allowed to take those through security?? I had always just assumed that since they sold them on the plane they wouldn't let you take them through... is there anywhere I can verify this? Because having a couple of drinks (no more than 2) on a flight really makes the flight a lot less miserable. (I don't like flying but I do so several times a year anyway).
Last I checked, weren't you allowed to bring them, but not consume them on the plane?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Last time I checked, the particular airline I was using forbade the consumption of alcohol that they did not provide.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
Pro tip- bring liquor, not premixed drinks. You can always add rum or whatever to cokes you buy at the event; if you bring premixed, there isn't enough.
Did that at Woodstock '94 -- jugs of water were allowed, but booze was not. So we filled several huge Ziploc bags with rum, stuffed them in a huge water jug, poured a ton of ice over the bags and filled the thing with water. The guards made us open the top, glanced in, and that was that. Spent the rest of the day mixing it into our $7 mugs of Pepsi.

Of course, the next day the fences came down and we just walked in with a couple cases of beer, but that's a whole 'nother situation.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Coachella locks it down tight. No outside food or drink, including sealed water bottles. In the middle of the desert, late spring... I see they allow sunscreen, though.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I am reminded of the time I went on a ski weekend with some friends. We had a couple thermoses of Peppermint Patties (hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps) for the drive up.
We got pulled over for speeding, and as the officer was talking to the driver, we passengers were calmly sipping our "cocoa" and trying not to shit bricks.
(He ended up with only a warning!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Last I checked, weren't you allowed to bring them, but not consume them on the plane?
I started a thread about this a while back. Seems that technically it's verboten, but not difficult to get away with.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmymind View Post
I admit I do this too. However, be aware that drinking alcohol onboard which was not served to you by the flight attendant is illegal. The TSA is unlikely to approve, much less "smile at" such shenanigans.

Discretion is your friend.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Really? You're really allowed to take those through security??.
Yes. TSA has no authority to prevent that. You are totally within your legal rights to bring a a bunch of little airline bottles of liquor through security, as long as they all fit in a single 1-quart ziplock.

Quote:
I had always just assumed that since they sold them on the plane they wouldn't let you take them through
You are within your legal rights to possess them. However, you may not legally consume them on the aircraft.

It's not airline policy, it's Federal Law. However, the TSA has no authority to enforce that law. That's up to the airlines. Don't get drunk, don't get caught, and if you do get caught, be very cooperative, sheepish and apologetic.

I've flown dozens of times with my own private stash in 2 new, clean 3 oz plastic bottles bought for that purpose. Never had a single problem.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Coachella locks it down tight. No outside food or drink, including sealed water bottles. In the middle of the desert, late spring... I see they allow sunscreen, though.
It's really easy to take a store bought purse and fix it with a false bottom like I said. Not that I think anyone should break any rules. I'm just saying, a lined purse with a stiff bottom is just a seam ripper and a couple pieces of velcro away from being an awesome smuggling tool.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
Yes. TSA has no authority to prevent that. You are totally within your legal rights to bring a a bunch of little airline bottles of liquor through security, as long as they all fit in a single 1-quart ziplock.

You are within your legal rights to possess them. However, you may not legally consume them on the aircraft.

It's not airline policy, it's Federal Law. However, the TSA has no authority to enforce that law. That's up to the airlines. Don't get drunk, don't get caught, and if you do get caught, be very cooperative, sheepish and apologetic.

I've flown dozens of times with my own private stash in 2 new, clean 3 oz plastic bottles bought for that purpose. Never had a single problem.
I have found that drinking your own alcohol is just an airline's policy and not a law or FAA regulation. Which makes sense. Once you're through security, only the party that stands to lose alcohol sales cares.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
BANNED
What's up, whitestains. Didn't see this one, although it's a favorite (and I don't have cable)...yet.

I've done the soda can before I even saw DeVito masterly "pretend" he was drinking wine through a can.

All about the attitude. Yeah, I've never eaten a pear.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
It's really easy to take a store bought purse and fix it with a false bottom like I said. Not that I think anyone should break any rules. I'm just saying, a lined purse with a stiff bottom is just a seam ripper and a couple pieces of velcro away from being an awesome smuggling tool.
Are you a genius, or a genius and a psycho? Either way, you're coming with me when the apocalypse arrives in terra. Amazing! I love it!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 PM
I've got free drinks on planes a number of times. I think the staff onboard most flights probably wouldn't give a fig if you were drinking your own stash unless you started acting the ass.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
I have found that drinking your own alcohol is just an airline's policy and not a law or FAA regulation. Which makes sense. Once you're through security, only the party that stands to lose alcohol sales cares.

Found it.

The Regulation is 14 CFR 121.575 which states in part, "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."

So YES, it is a federal regulation. Not just "airline policy".

I do it anyway. But I also drink moderately and responsibly and am very discreet.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:16 PM
I watch Sunny, too. To tell you the truth, I'd drink tequila out of a boot (but not a toilet...I do have my standards, you know. And it would be diluted.)
I can't think of any way I'd try to hide it in public. As far as I can remember I've always drunk openly, and damn the torpedos. (I mean, the consequences.)
It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia makes me laugh my guts out.

Last edited by Becky2844; 12-08-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Smuggling liquor onto a cruise ship is easy provided (a) you hide it in plain sight in water bottles and such, and (b) there's some idiot ahead of you who draws the focus of cruise security personnel by trying to get a full size bottle through.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:53 AM
Standard way where I was growing up (which was one of the first areas to implement a "no drinking in the streets" policy in the UK), was to get a 500ml bottle of coke, drink a bit and then top up with rum or vodka.

It had never occurred to me to even try anything else. That just seemed so obvious.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
By the time they buy the booze and pay a FA to serve it, I doubt the airline is making much if anything off the booze. The point of the rule is to limit consumption so as not to have drunks on the plane getting obnoxious, puking, or unable to follow instructions in case of an in flight emergency.

As for the puking part: Once on an international flight I was doing pretty well chatting up another passenger in the rear galley area. Actually, she was more likely chatting me up now that I think on it. Anyway, one of the stews was playing Cupid and kept serving us drinks. (free on that flight in those days) All well and good until we hit rough air and had to sit down and belt in. The turbulence kept up for an hour or so. I kept my lunch down, but was pretty green in the gills by the time we got to Atlanta and was really wishing I hadn't had the last two or three cognacs. No mile high club for me.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaledin View Post
Are you a genius, or a genius and a psycho? Either way, you're coming with me when the apocalypse arrives in terra. Amazing! I love it!
Why thank you!!
Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Dave Barry has us all beat:

http://miamiherald.com/2011/12/0...wine-rack.html
Old 12-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
Standard way where I was growing up (which was one of the first areas to implement a "no drinking in the streets" policy in the UK), was to get a 500ml bottle of coke, drink a bit and then top up with rum or vodka.

It had never occurred to me to even try anything else. That just seemed so obvious.
Yep, still do on occasion. We call it "Homemade Pepsi".
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 PM
When my friends and I used to go to the Shore, we would usually use 20 oz soda bottles, Gatorade or ice tea to mask our booze. The best way to keep this from being obvious is to pick liquors that do not make strange colors or shades of whatever you are drinking. Honestly though, as long as you are not acting like a degenerate, the roaming patrols pretty much leave you alone.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM
When I was in seventh grade, some eighth graders who went on an overnight (3 nights, 4 days) trip to Washington D.C. hid alcohol in shampoo bottles. I doubt they were all that careful about getting all the shampoo product out...

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 12-09-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
Did that at Woodstock '94 -- jugs of water were allowed, but booze was not. So we filled several huge Ziploc bags with rum, stuffed them in a huge water jug, poured a ton of ice over the bags and filled the thing with water. The guards made us open the top, glanced in, and that was that. Spent the rest of the day mixing it into our $7 mugs of Pepsi...
Wow. That's ... impressive. *doffs hat*
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
When I was in seventh grade, some eighth graders who went on an overnight (3 nights, 4 days) trip to Washington D.C. hid alcohol in shampoo bottles. I doubt they were all that careful about getting all the shampoo product out...
In ninth grade, that got some kids expelled. And they were the rich kids who otherwise could never get in trouble.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
First, eee.. I know what shampoo tastes like (accidental runoff into my mouth int he shower. It's grody.

When I was in 8th grade I went to Europe with a school group (London, Paris, Madrid, over the 10 day spring break) and everyone was drinking the whole time (including the chaperones!) because of the drinking age over there allowed it. I tried a rum and coke once with lunch (didn't like it--funnily, it's my go-to drink these days) and I drank a half a can of beer (gag--still hate beer) in my hotel room with my roommate who kind of pushed me into it. So no sneaking involved.

Other comment on that trip off topic but I think interesting enough to include: my roommate was the class whore. At one point in our tiny London hotel room, she came in late at night with two guys and asked me to go stay in the bathroom for 20-30 minutes. I said no (for once standing up for myself) and so she took the boys, one at a time, into the bathroom. I can only assume she was giving blowjobs, but I can't be sure. The guy she left in our room while she took the first guy in tried to make awkward conversation with me but I didn't play along.

That girl went on to have two abortions during 8th grade, by the way.