Old 12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Help me fill my wife's Christmas stocking!

Every Christmas Mrs. Wheelz and I fill a stocking for each other; about a dozen little trinkets or candies or fun silly things. Nothing that costs more than a couple bucks, usually.

The trouble is that we've been doing this for so many years it's getting a little stale. I always end up looking in the same aisles in the same stores year after year and a certain sameness has set in that I want to break out of this time.

So, what do you suggest I put in there?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
So, when I saw this it was right on top of "Have you ever used your sock to masturbate?"
Old 12-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
So, when I saw this it was right on top of "Have you ever used your sock to masturbate?"

Not exactly what I had in mind, though.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM
One of my favorite stocking presents was a spool of twist-tie material that could be cut to any desired length. ANY DESIRED LENGTH, DO YOU HEAR ME? Heck I just used it yesterday.

I'm not against practical stuff -- how about travel sized advil or toothpaste or deodorant, if she usually carries those things in her purse or gym bag. Her favorite lipstick, if she wears it regularly.

Everyone likes stickers.

Does she have any hobbies?

Last edited by Hello Again; 12-12-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Since I don't know your wife, here are some suggestions of things I would like to see in my stocking this year.

- fancy barrettes or hair clips
- a pair of fancy tights or leggings
- bright red lipstick or fun-flavored lip gloss
- false eyelashes
- a cool pen
- a gummi rat (http://amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Gu.../dp/B000IKBEV6)
- a comic book
- a deck of playing cards
Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Single serving bottles of liquor are a stocking staple in my family. We like the Burt's Bees variety packs too.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
  • Nicely scented lotion from Bath & Body Works, et al
  • Tickets to a concert (okay, maybe not if you only spend a few bucks)
  • A music box that plays the Lexus theme music (no, seriously, don't get this)
  • Chocolate covered almonds or Ghiardelli squares
  • OPI nail polish
  • Nail file
  • iTunes gift card
  • Fun earrings
  • A crystal ornament
Old 12-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Little bottles of hand sanitizer from bath and body works. They're a little too expensive for what you get volume-wise, but you can get a bunch of different scents. And it's a practical item.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
I'm not against practical stuff -- how about travel sized advil or toothpaste or deodorant, if she usually carries those things in her purse or gym bag. Her favorite lipstick, if she wears it regularly.

Everyone likes stickers.

Does she have any hobbies?
Travel-size toiletries are a current staple, one of the things I'd like to change up. Good idea though.
She doesn't wear lipstick enough for me to know her "favorite," and I wouldn't dare trying to pick out that or any other makeup for her.
Hobbies? She loves to draw. I always include colored pencils or markers or glittery gel pens. That's one I'll keep doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaje1 View Post
- fancy barrettes or hair clips
- a cool pen
- a gummi rat (http://amazon.com/Jelly-Belly-Gu.../dp/B000IKBEV6)
Good ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
Single serving bottles of liquor are a stocking staple in my family. We like the Burt's Bees variety packs too.
Oooh, she loves Burt's Bees! Thanks.
Single-serving liquor? Too small.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM
World Market/Cost Plus has tons of sample-sized fancy foods, candies, trinkets, etc. That's where i get stocking stuffers.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
A magazine she likes but doesn't subscribe to.
A photo copied from an original she doesn't have that a parent or sibling has
Something you've made - a simple craft like map magnets
Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 PM
Charter Member
So much good stuff from these folks: http://accoutrements.com/shop/

I can vouch for the Ballpark gum being delightfully awful.

ETA - I buy them through Amazon

Last edited by Motorgirl; 12-12-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
A handmade card or written note. Something sweet, like all the things you love about her (especially love about her this time of year).

It will get you laid, I promise.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Warm fuzzy socks... who doesn't like warm fuzzy socks.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 PM
An orange at the toe, naturally!

How about a silly ring from the gumball machine?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Hobbies? She loves to draw. I always include colored pencils or markers or glittery gel pens. That's one I'll keep doing.
A kneaded eraser and a brass bullet pencil sharpener?

Some things I've gotten and enjoyed:

These Shower tab things. I liked them enough to ask my sister where she got them - it was Whole Foods (mine were lavender).

Tea bags

Tea Tree Oil foot spray (refreshing after a day standing and walking)

Festive/fancy purse packs of tissues. (Often near the registers in card stores)

emery boards

I like things from the toy store such as finger traps and little brain teaser puzzles.

I like that you do this. I tried to get it going as a tradition in our house but it never really caught on with my husband. He grew up in a family of smokers and his stocking go-to gifts are cigarettes, lighters, and scratch-off lottery tickets.

My sister and I handle stockings for each other now.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Get a magnetic sheet from a craft store and glue some of her favorite pictures (wedding, beach, vacation, pets, kids, grandkids, etc) onto in. Trim around them and make refrigerator magnets out of them.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Pink duct tape. Everyone needs duct tape.

Things that are constantly getting lost. Around our house, that's fingernail and toenail clippers. If she does her own nails, emery boards and an orange stick or two. Clear polish, which is good for many things.

Things that are whimsical. Kid's bottle of bubble soap with wand. Mini LED flashlight. Mouse nose. Whacky pot holders.

(I see I was too slow with the emery boards. Does she run out of glue or AA batteries?)

Last edited by Yllaria; 12-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe a little sketchpad? I know they sometimes run a little high in price. Does she like to doodle, or like sticky notes? Those are always useful for keeping track of drawing ideas and other things.

Does she outline her drawings in pen or anything like that? I know I love certain types of pens for mine, before coloring.

What about gift cards for her favorite clothing stores?

Does she have a passion for a certain activity (maybe drawing might be one) that inspires cute jewelry ideas, like rings, necklaces or earrings? For instance, this is one of my favorite necklaces ever, as a pianist.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 PM
One year I got a cup and ball toy similar to the one here in the first picture. We all had fun Christmas morning playing with it, and throughout the day. Seriously, it's been 4 or 5 years since and I still pick it up and play with it a bit just for fun.

Last edited by Rhiannon8404; 12-12-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Deodorant (her brand, of course!)
A new toothbrush (get two if you plan on stealing it)
A box of Jelly Belly jelly beans

Every girl loves candy bracelets and necklaces!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 PM
I love teeny little indulgences that I seldom or never buy for myself: single packages of candies or cookies, tiny cute nail polishes, hair accessories, that sort of thing. And this time of year, really good lip balms and hand creams are great. A love note would be treasured.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinformation View Post
An orange at the toe, naturally!
A chocolate orange at the toe! (CAUTION! Do not light Fire in fireplace!)

When I was doing stockings for adults, I'd include tangerines and pecans/walnuts in the shell.

Last edited by RedWood; 12-13-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: adding nuts and fruit (Euell'd be so proud of me :D)
Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 AM
Charter Member
A ball of string and a miniature torch....both absolutely useless until that ONE time you desperately need them. Oh, and a magnifying glass too.

Last edited by kambuckta; 12-13-2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to add...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 AM
So many good ideas above, but here are a few things I'd be pleased to find in my stocking that I don't think have been mentioned yet (apologies if I'm repeating anything - I'm reading in substandard lighting conditions):

A 2012 calendar small enough to keep in my purse
A book of Sudoko puzzles
Exotic flavors of breath mints (preferably sugarless)
An unusual kitchen tool (a mini spatula, funny cookie cutter shape, etc.)
Individual tissue packs in fun colors or with cute designs
Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 AM
They are a little expensive, but so much worth the price...Buckeyballs!

My mom gave some to my husband and I for our wedding anniversary (because my mom is just that kind of person!) and since then several in-laws, friends and random acquaintances have purchased some. They are so much fun to play with!

Also because this is how my mom thinks: ever since we were kids, our Christmas stockings included a couple of pairs of colourful socks and some new underwear, usually with fun patterns.

For some reason, we never ate the oranges, so somewhere along the line my mom changed it up for bizarre seasonal fruit for my sister and I and a salami for my brother (and, now, my husband and brother-in-law). You'd think there would be a hilarious story behind this, but, no, it's really just something random she started to replace the oranges.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 AM
BANNED
Quote:
...The trouble is that we've been doing this for so many years it's getting a little stale. I always end up looking in the same aisles in the same stores year after year and a certain sameness has set in that I want to break out of this time.
I hate to say this, but I think you should end the tradition. At least for awhile. Why not suggest a new tradition to your wife. If you don't like it, you can always go back.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM
How about a mini-calendar?
A jump rope?
Gloves?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 AM
If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have great stocking stuffer type candies. Also Think Geek is great for stocking stuffer type uh, stuff.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaMyra View Post
I hate to say this, but I think you should end the tradition. At least for awhile. Why not suggest a new tradition to your wife. If you don't like it, you can always go back.
A few times we've had a quick "Do you still want to do stockings this year?" conversation, and the answer is always yes. Even if there are no surprises in there, we open the stockings over a bottle of champagne and enjoy the ritual. "Stale" may have been too strong a word; it's still a fun thing for us, but I want to shake it up a little this year.

In case anyone's keeping track, here's what I have so far:
- Sudoku Book
- Nora Roberts novel
- Package of assorted color gel pens
- Bag of Ghirardelli mint dark chocolate squares
- Burt's Bees lip balm/cuticle cream 2-pack (Last night I found this in Staples, of all places, and remembered Sattua's idea)

And thanks to all of you, I have a bunch of other fun stuff to look for! I appreciate everybody's input and I hope other people are getting help from this thread as well!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM
What about special champagne flutes for Christmas morning? put one in the top of each stocking.

Old fashioned candies, exotic spices http://penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

Sample size packs of exotics dried fruits and yummy spiced nuts: http://nutsonline.com/search?q=sample+packs

Good luck!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
What about a money box? This might not work for you but I have a money box and put all my gold coins into it at the end of the day. When it's full I spend it on something frivolous.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Put in a tin of cinnamon, because you want to spice things up a bit.

Last edited by PunditLisa; 12-13-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
Go find a candy or gum that she would remember from childhood. This year, I walked into a fancy food emporium and found tiny maple sugar candies. Perfectly sized for stuffing stockings.

Drug stores are great for trinket-y stuff and, if one is around, you can always rely on Spencer Gifts.

Target always has a supply of Hello Kitty crap, like fake fingernails or sparkly eye shadow. Even better, Target carries Hello Kitty duct tape along with a couple of other patterns (Duck brand).

Every woman needs her own tape measure. One of mine has a flower pattern on it so no guy will walk off with it. How about a letter opener, mini stapler or other desk item. Funky ink color pens are good too. Go to Office Max, Staples or JoAnne and take a look around.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Vibrators. They're the gift that keeps on giving. And you're already drinking champagne, no reason not to make the morning extra merry. ::waggles eyebrows ::

A pack of those tiny Moleskine notebooks for her purse. They're the shit for making notes or lists or doodling while you're out and about.

Also any properly filled stocking has at minimum these things in it : an orange and one other piece of fruit, some nuts, some candy, and some sort of toy.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Edible hibiscus flowers:

http://thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/c0ce/

Add to the champagne.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM
A bunch of glowsticks!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM
A subscription to Birchbox with a note that you've decided to give her 12 stocking stuffers for the coming year.

Last edited by anu-la1979; 12-14-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
They are a little expensive, but so much worth the price...Buckeyballs!
Some years ago, I gave my father a magnetic sculpture toy, called a crdl, which was much the same thing. Everyone who came over played with that thing. That was probably my most cost-effective gift ever.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
OPI nail polish is the number one thing I want in my stocking this year (that I won't get... my husband is impervious to hints.) If you don't know what colors to get, first look at her current stash, then at her most commonly-worn outfits for ideas. I'm not much for nail polish most of the time, but I prefer the good stuff when I do use it.

For my husband's stocking this year, I have a couple of Groupons that I'm going to print out, then fold into Christmas-themed origami.

Edited to add: try some nice tea, and maybe some of those interlocking shape puzzle things?

Last edited by Miss Violaceous; 12-18-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:24 PM
BANNED
Do they still have those 4-in plastic crates of chocolate bottles filled with liquor?

kk... but its kinda hard to top the vibrator suggestion if the meme is keeping her happy.

Quote:

Not exactly what I had in mind, though.
To quote Clement Clarke Moore, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

...Og Bless Us! Every One!