Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Origins of the slang word - Poontang?

If you don't know what it means.
http://urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=poon%20tang

Any information on its origins? Does Poon or tang mean anything in other languages?

urbandictionary seems to think its Korean, but they aren't exactly an academic source.

Maybe Ted Nugget coined the phase?

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
From the OED:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED
Forms: 19– poontang, 19– puntang.
Etymology: Origin uncertain; perhaps < French putain prostitute (see putain n.).
The word does not appear to have originated in African-American use. If it is of French origin, its route into English is unclear: on phonological grounds it is unlikely to have been transmitted via Louisiana French Creole piten(n) whore.

In early use frequently written as two words.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Ted Nugent's lyrics for Wang Dang Sweet Poontang
http://lyrics.wikia.com/Ted_Nugent:W...Sweet_Poontang

So its the French that coined the phrase? Interesting. Thanks!

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
If you don't know what it means.
http://urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=poon%20tang

Any information on its origins? Does Poon or tang mean anything in other languages?

urbandictionary seems to think its Korean, but they aren't exactly an academic source.

Maybe Ted Nugget coined the phase?
Urban Dictionary shows this for "poontang" as opposed to "poon tang":

Quote:
poontang Function: noun
Inflected Forms: plural - poontang; abbreviated - poon
Alternate Spellings: puntang
Etymology: Filipino (Ilokano dialect) putang (whore, fuck)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I noticed urbandictionary's first definition was incorrect. The 2nd definition is the correct one. Its the rather unique aroma and taste that the expression refers too.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-04-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Charter Member
Coming from Ilokano "putang" would seem a reasonable hypothesis. I wonder if Ilokano got it from the Spanish "puta" (prostitute), which would be cognate with the French "putain".
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM
My first thought was: sounds like Tagalog or some related language.

Similar to boondocks.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Charter Member
Rochester used to have a Chinese restaurant named House of Poon.

It made Jay Leno's "Headlines" three times.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
I noticed urbandictionary's first definition was incorrect. The 2nd definition is the correct one. Its the rather unique aroma and taste that the expression refers too.
And this is why you don't use something as useless as "Urbandictionary" as a reliable source of words. It is totally inclorrect.

Origin probably French, as the OED says, but We don't know as of this point.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I was always of the impression (not sure how) that it came from Vietnam, being brought back by the soldiers.

This would explain its French origins.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
I was always of the impression (not sure how) that it came from Vietnam, being brought back by the soldiers.

Since the OED citation shows a 19th century origin that can't be correct. Vietnam doesn't even seem to have popularized it because there are so many earlier cites including one that says that JFK regretted that his days of poon were over when he got elected in 1960.

Face it. Our (great-great-great-great) grandparents knew and used just as many dirty words as us.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post

The OED cites it from 1927:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED
slang (orig. U.S., chiefly in African-American usage).

1. Sexual intercourse, sex; copulation.

1927 J. O'Hara Sel. Lett. (1978) 25 Just between us I haven't had any poon-tang since I was in Germany.
1929 T. Wolfe Look homeward, Angel 343 A fellow's got to have a little Poon Tang.
The African-American usage is odd, since they also said it didn't originate with African-Americans. It was probably picked up by them after it entered the language.

Given the first cite, it probably comes from WWI, when US soldiers were in France. That would make the connection with "putain" more likely. The decade before it showed up in print is not unusual for taboo words like this.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:58 AM
I heard this on the radio a couple of weeks ago. It's from 1929, nearly as early as the OED has it!

Apparently it was some kind of bakery good . . . .
Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Charter Member
That Clara Smith song is interesting for two reasons: it gives evidence for OED's "chiefly in African-American usage", and it's being used by a woman -- I'd have thought that almost all usage from that era would have been by men.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:54 AM
This blog post may also be of interest.

Specifically, it possibly links the term to pudding tang.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Minor hijack/detour ........ on the last ep of Hell on Wheels, the tatooed whore referred to her tangy lady parts as her "patooty" ...... hadn't heard that one before.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the .... ?!?! View Post
Minor hijack/detour ........ on the last ep of Hell on Wheels, the tatooed whore referred to her tangy lady parts as her "patooty" ...... hadn't heard that one before.
Patootie is one's derriere. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/patootie
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM
I know that in high school in the early 90s, I had the impression that it was a somewhat recent slang term. I associated it with hip hop culture, which I believed to be the origin.

So, I was very surprised to find it in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (don't know if it's in the sanitized movie version or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Williams in 1955
Link
Big Daddy: Was it jumping or humping that you were doing out there? What were doing out there at three A.M., layin' a woman on that cinder track?

Big Mama: Big Daddy, you are off the sick list, now, and I'm not going to excuse you for talkin' so-

Big Daddy: Quiet!

Big Mama: -nasty in front of preacher and-

Big Daddy: Quiet! -I ast you, Brick, if you was cuttin' you'self a piece o' poon-tang last night on that cinder track? I thought maybe you were chasin' poon-tang on that track an' tripped over something in the heat of the chase -'sthat it?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Rochester used to have a Chinese restaurant named House of Poon.

It made Jay Leno's "Headlines" three times.
What did they call their version of "Orange Chicken"?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bienville View Post
I know that in high school in the early 90s, I had the impression that it was a somewhat recent slang term. I associated it with hip hop culture, which I believed to be the origin.
When I was in high school in the early 70s, I had the impression that it was a somewhat recent slang term. I associated it with movies about the Vietnam War, which I believed to be the origin.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
What did they call their version of "Orange Chicken"?
Delicious.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
The OED cites it from 1927
Which is of course 20th century. I can't believe I looked at the 19- and read it as 19th century. Gah.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Which is of course 20th century. I can't believe I looked at the 19- and read it as 19th century. Gah.
I've done that, but I'm pretty sure I've never admitted to it. You're a better man than I!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I've done that, but I'm pretty sure I've never admitted to it. You're a better man than I!
I'll admit that!

Hey, I've never taken my name off a work just because it was lousy.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Quote:
I'll admit that!

Hey, I've never taken my name off a work just because it was lousy.
I'm so misunderstood. When everyone else is running out of the burning house, I'm running in. I put my name on works that are lousy!

ETA: Except my posts, of course. I didn't want them damaging my reputation so I told Little Ed to register me under a pseudony---DOH!

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 01-05-2012 at 02:43 PM.