Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Remote for car died--do I need to go to the dealer?

The "clicker" for my car died (it unlocks the doors, pops the trunk and has a panic button, also, I think it's part of the security system too?). I'm sure it's the battery because the car is a 2006 model. Do I need to go to the dealer to have the battery replaced?

Last edited by shellofmyformerself; 01-21-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Charter Member
The batteries are sold at Wal-Mart and pretty much any automotive store.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Agreed. It probably just takes a button cell.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Ours is a 2000. It takes a button battery. If it's like ours, you use a coin to pop the case open. You'll have to reset it after. On ours you stand near the car, then press and hold lock and unlock until the horn beeps.
Do you still have your owner's manual? It will have instructions.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
You can replace it yourself, but if you have a Batteries Plus store near you, just take it over there and they will sell you a new battery and put it in your remote for you. It's a couple bucks more than Walmart, but a fraction of the price the car dealer charges.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
You can replace it yourself, but if you have a Batteries Plus store near you, just take it over there and they will sell you a new battery and put it in your remote for you. It's a couple bucks more than Walmart, but a fraction of the price the car dealer charges.
IME, (honda ridgeline) I had to go to the dealer as they keys are encoded to a vehicle so just a copy of the key does not get you what you need. I even tried downloading instructions on how to program my own key fob and still got nowhere....took the dealer 15 min.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM
BANNED
You won't need to resync it with the car if you just replace the remote's battery. Also, unless money is not a concern, do NOT take it to your dealer to even replace the battery. Some dealerships are honest, but some aren't and they may at least charge way too much for the battery and at worst charge you $40 or more for resetting the keyless system (which like I said it won't need).

BTW the only time you need to resync it is if you buy a new remote. Even replacing the car's battery won't (usually) require this.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
IME, (honda ridgeline) I had to go to the dealer as they keys are encoded to a vehicle so just a copy of the key does not get you what you need. I even tried downloading instructions on how to program my own key fob and still got nowhere....took the dealer 15 min.
Can you clarify please: Did you go to the dealer because you needed the battery on your old key replaced or because you wanted to get a new key?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drachillix View Post
That's what I was wondering about...some special code thingy...I have an Accord (which I hate for many reasons, this just being one of them)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM
I've several times opened a remote, noted the battery type, then bought & installed a fresh battery. This has yielded 100% success at an average cost around $1.50. I've been blissfully naive about any need to visit the dealer or "re-sync" anything.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xema View Post
I've several times opened a remote, noted the battery type, then bought & installed a fresh battery. This has yielded 100% success at an average cost around $1.50. I've been blissfully naive about any need to visit the dealer or "re-sync" anything.
Mine is an old chevy product, more steps.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
You won't need to resync it with the car if you just replace the remote's battery. Also, unless money is not a concern, do NOT take it to your dealer to even replace the battery. Some dealerships are honest, but some aren't and they may at least charge way too much for the battery and at worst charge you $40 or more for resetting the keyless system (which like I said it won't need).

BTW the only time you need to resync it is if you buy a new remote. Even replacing the car's battery won't (usually) require this.
Service manager at a car dealer here. We get $2.50-$3.00 for a remote battery.
The last time I had to buy a button battery for something from Radio Shack it was $5.95.
Tell me again how I am ripping people off, I keep getting confused.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Can you clarify please: Did you go to the dealer because you needed the battery on your old key replaced or because you wanted to get a new key?
replaced key, tried battery first myself, wouldnt work, got a new key cut, tried to reprogram via provided instructions, failed, took to dealer, handled.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The last time I had to buy a button battery for something from Radio Shack it was $5.95.
I said some (like yours) are honest. I've fixed my own and friends/family cars my whole life and have found that new car dealerships can vary wildly! Recently my sister bought a headlight plug for a 2001 Subaru. It was not OEM just generic but they charged $30 for it. Exact same one was $5 at AutoZone.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Graphite is a great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
I said some (like yours) are honest. I've fixed my own and friends/family cars my whole life and have found that new car dealerships can vary wildly! Recently my sister bought a headlight plug for a 2001 Subaru. It was not OEM just generic but they charged $30 for it. Exact same one was $5 at AutoZone.
But they installed it for her, right?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 PM
BANNED
Nope, $30 for just the part. A standard three prong headlight plug with three wires with just bare stripped ends (had to crimp, not plug into the harness!)

Some new car dealerships, I'd like to say most, have been very decent all around. But I've also heard horror stories especially regarding the service departments. Consequently unless you're getting warranty work or have dealt with them before I never recommend them as a first choice.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I think it's totally unfair for you to bring up Radio Shack--they're an outlier!

hh
Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Since the OP has been answered (and in our experience as well, the battery can easily be changed at home):

What about a car where the remote is built into the key vs. being on a separate fob?

And: is it possible to get extra keys made for such cars without paying the dealer hundreds of dollars? Ours literally wanted 300 for the "main" key, or 200 for the "valet" key (no remote, doesn't unlock the glove box).
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
Since the OP has been answered (and in our experience as well, the battery can easily be changed at home):

What about a car where the remote is built into the key vs. being on a separate fob?

And: is it possible to get extra keys made for such cars without paying the dealer hundreds of dollars? Ours literally wanted 300 for the "main" key, or 200 for the "valet" key (no remote, doesn't unlock the glove box).

Aaah, but did the $300 include installation?
i.e. placing the key into the ignition.