Old 01-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Who created this dancing skeleton?

Can someone tell me who created this image of a dancing skeleton? I've seen it on websites, rubber stamps, T-shirts, etc.

It looks like it should be from Hans Holbein's Dance of Death woodcuts, but it isn't (as far as I can see).

Surely it's older than Etsy and Cafe Press. Does anyone here know its origin? Thanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 AM
No one? Come on, this is the Dope. Surely one among you can help me. Please?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:10 PM
It looks like the artist may be Marina Lenzino, based on this and this (which can be seen by clicking on the 'Rubber Plates' link from the first site, and going to the 11th row down, 3rd column).

Last edited by Darwin's Finch; 01-28-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Plates, not Stamps....
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks, Darwin's Finch!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin's Finch View Post
It looks like the artist may be Marina Lenzino, based on this and this (which can be seen by clicking on the 'Rubber Plates' link from the first site, and going to the 11th row down, 3rd column).
I'm going to guess not. It doesn't seem to be her style. I found some art published by her that claimed it was "vintage art edited by" Marina Lenzino, which seems to be right. Judging by the look of it, I'd say it was part of a larger advertising piece. Like maybe the skeleton was once holding something. These types of art are royalty free and can be purchased from places such as Dover.

Just a guess.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:00 AM
There's also the possibility that it was originally a piece of graffiti - examples here and here. Or the graffiti versions could be modified from something that originated elsewhere. Could always write to Lenzino and ask her how she came by it....
Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Charter Member
I have a funny feeling the dance pose is based on a classic work of art. Something illustrative or pre-raphaelite in style.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 AM
PlainJane, thanks for reminding me about the Dover books. I've seen them before, but I had thought to look there. From the Dover samples, I wonder if it's a bit of Mexican Day of the Dead artwork.

It does look old to me. I think I'll take your suggestion, Darwin's Finch, and contact the artist to ask if she adapted it from some advertising or Dia de los Muertos art.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
No clue unfortunately. I was hoping the link would be the dancing skeleton holding a martini and cigarette which is part of the band Social Distortion's logo...