Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Cell phone through washing machine. Anything Saveable?

I am the luckiest man in the world. My wife never searches through my pockets, which would be great if i was having an affair. However, since I am not nor do I ever plan to have an affair, her lack of rifling through my pockets has caused some problems, mostly involving items going through the wash that shouldn't.

My phone is the latest Victim. What, if anything, can be saved?

I plugged it in see what would happen, (after letting it air dry and using a hair drier over the last few days.). The phone does turn on, but all it says is "download in progress". I have no idea what it could be downloading, and apparently it can't figure it out either.

So, can salvage anything that wasn't sawed? Contacts and ringtones and apps? Or is that all gone forever?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Does it have a separate memory card? That's probably still good, and could be read in a card reader.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Water (especially that stuck in small spaces) takes ages to go away. My digicam had a stuck shutter button after a spell in the rain, and didn't work for weeks. I eventually fixed it with some careful dousing with rubbing alcohol - I'd recommend you give that a try yourself.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
I did this with my cel in 2008.

Nothing salvagable for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Charter Member
1) Turn off phone
2) take it apart as much as possible (battery, covers, keyboard)
3) let soak completely with clean water. replace water and rinse again,
4) soak in >95% alcohol (not 70%), replace alcohol and rinse again
5) air dry or gently use warm air
6) reassemble
7) turn back on
8) replace cell phone when steps 1-7 fail to fix it
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
My (now ex) wife washed her phone about a year ago. Tried to let it dry out for a few days to no avail (wouldn't even turn on) so I threw it in a drawer with a couple other old phones so I could take them to recycle when I got the chance.

Well, I never quite got around to going to the recycler. About 6 months ago, my phone was having problems, so just for the hell of it I plugged in exes phone, and it started charging. I let it charge adn put in my SIM, and it worked perfectly and has ever since.

Funny thing is not too long after that, she saw it and said 'Hey, you got a phone just like my old one'. Yep. I sure did.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Get as much extra water out of/off the phone as possible.

Remove the battery, place phone in an air-tight container of uncooked white rice.

Seal container.

Hope for the best.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
1) Turn off phone
6) reassemble
7) turn back on
Having worked in the cell phone industry, I have to ask - how does the double rinse help? Are there latent starches you need to remove to improve the final consistency, or what?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Your washing machine will be fine. Don't throw it away. Just pick out the broken pieces of cell phone and it should work without problems.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Hoodie View Post
Having worked in the cell phone industry, I have to ask - how does the double rinse help? Are there latent starches you need to remove to improve the final consistency, or what?
I rinsed with water (Distilled is better than tap) to get rid of the detergent residue. I used my chemistry experience to justify the double dip. I stuck it in a bowl of water for a while that reduced the contaminants by (I'm totally guessing) ~90%. The second dip, further reduced the contaminants by another 90%.

Same with the Alcohol dip. The first one conceivably reduced the water concentration to 10%, the second alcohol dip reduced the total water content to 1%.
If I wanted to be really anal, I would have done 3 rinses each.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
My (now ex) wife washed her phone about a year ago. Tried to let it dry out for a few days to no avail (wouldn't even turn on) so I threw it in a drawer with a couple other old phones so I could take them to recycle when I got the chance.

Well, I never quite got around to going to the recycler. About 6 months ago, my phone was having problems, so just for the hell of it I plugged in exes phone, and it started charging. I let it charge adn put in my SIM, and it worked perfectly and has ever since.

Funny thing is not too long after that, she saw it and said 'Hey, you got a phone just like my old one'. Yep. I sure did.
I had pretty much the same experience with a Motorola Razr (remember those?). I had dropped it in the bathtub and it wouldn't work at all, so I went and got another one. A few months later, I tried the old one and it worked fine.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM
I've heard - and done once with some success - that disassembling the phone and putting the parts in something absorbent - dry rice or cat litter - works.
Last time I dropped my (old non-smart) phone in water, I shoved the parts in a bag of rice, two or three days after it got soaked. After a day in the bag of rice it did indeed work again except the screen had a permanent blemish so I got another one. But the battery and everything worked fine.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Quote:
I rinsed with water (Distilled is better than tap) to get rid of the detergent residue. I used my chemistry experience to justify the double dip. I stuck it in a bowl of water for a while that reduced the contaminants by (I'm totally guessing) ~90%. The second dip, further reduced the contaminants by another 90%.

Same with the Alcohol dip. The first one conceivably reduced the water concentration to 10%, the second alcohol dip reduced the total water content to 1%.
If I wanted to be really anal, I would have done 3 rinses each.
Ah. Hadn't considered residual soap. Good call.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Once you get this treatment, you'll never have to worry about this again....

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-cou...071948340.html
Old 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
SIM card should still be fine. (Assuming you're on a carrier that uses SIM cards here...)

If you have an old phone, or someone you know has an unused phone, you can use your SIM card in it until you get your phone replaced. If your phone is the type that stores contacts on the SIM card (my understand is that most do not), you might have a saved contact list as well.

As for apps, that depends on what OS the phone was running and whether the app store considers purchases to be "per-user" or "per-device." In short, not enough info to answer that.

Last edited by Blakeyrat; 02-09-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Charter Member
A few years ago, I washed a RAZR and only knew about it when the dryer started making more noise than normal.

The phone was already as disassembled as possible without using tools. I put the phone into the oven and set it to "proof" which is about 100 degrees for a day, and other than a blotch on the display, it was fine ever after.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
BANNED
I did this a year ago. My brother picked me up at the airport. As was custom he brought a, ahem, cooler of cocktails so I made one. A little while later I couldn't find my cell. After looking all over the floor of the truck I decided to just call my phone with my brother's cell. Much to my chagrin my cocktail lite up (it was night time). His truck's center console caused my phone to slide right into the drink holder (and into my drink!)

I opened the battery compartment and left it all out in the sun for a few hours. Worked fine for the rest of my vacation and for about six months after! Eventually the touchscreen started not working right.

Just FYI: Cell phones usually have a moisture detection patch, a small square of material that turns (and stays) red when it gets wet. In case you try and play dumb with your provider...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post

Happened to me too. A few months after washing it & it worked again.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
1) Turn off phone
6) reassemble
7) turn back on
So, if I understand this correctly, I should dip everything in distiller water twice, then alcohol twice. Correct?

And what kind of alcohol are you talking about? Rubbing?

What should I do with the battery? That doesn't go into the soaking process, right? Anything else I should avoid putting through the soaking process?

I never knew rice was so absorbent.. Thanks for the tips!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post
So, if I understand this correctly, I should dip everything in distiller water twice, then alcohol twice. Correct?

And what kind of alcohol are you talking about? Rubbing?

What should I do with the battery? That doesn't go into the soaking process, right? Anything else I should avoid putting through the soaking process?

I never knew rice was so absorbent.. Thanks for the tips!
Yes, for me I did the dip and swish for a while twice. I didn't just dip it and pull it out. I let it soak for 30 min or so each time. I did it with the battery too.....everything went in. It had already been washed, so I didn't think I could do anymore harm than had already been done.

I actually used some 95% ethyl alcohol I had lying around, then some isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). I would use either and the isopropyl is probably better, because it is cheaper. You have to use 100% if you can get it. Soaking in 70% isopropyl alcohol will just leave you with 30% water in the soak solution. I think you can readily buy 100% isopropyl, you might be able to find HEET in a car parts section of the store. Check the label for the ingredients...isoHEET should be isopropyl alcohol. regular HEET may either be (denatured) ethyl alcohol or methyl alcohol. Note: I havent tried methyl alcohol (methanol). I expect either of these alcohols to work similarly, though don't know for sure. But if you consider your phone is ruined anyway, it doesn't matter if you ruin it again.

Last edited by Sigene; 02-10-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Charter Member
Just in case it wasn't clear, once you've turned it on there's no going back. If it's fried, it's permanently fried.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Luminary
Get a cell phone built to military specifications, or something similar. It seems the Samsung Rugby which I have is no longer available, but others are.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
Just in case it wasn't clear, once you've turned it on there's no going back. If it's fried, it's permanently fried.
No, it wasn't clear. I turned it on after plugging it in, and it displayed "download in progress."

That's toast?

Oh, and an update, I couldn't get this thing apart. I got 8 screws out, but I couldn't figure out how it snapped together, so instead of breaking the phone I took a break.

Is it worth trying the water/ Alcohol method anyway?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Charter Member
How hard/expensive would it be to just get a replacement phone?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stink Fish Pot View Post

Is it worth trying the water/ Alcohol method anyway?
I had some trouble figuring out how to take mine apart too, I think I had to pry some things off with a screwdriver and knife.

The point is to try to wash out as much of the water and soap as possible, so if you can't get it apart, try soaking it, then shaking it out, soaking and shaking. Anything you can think of to remove the soap, salts and detergent. Don't let it dry out until you are done. Dried soap residue on the components would be much more difficult to get out especially if you can't open it up.

Same with the alcohol...the alcohol is meant to get rid of the residual water. Without the phone being apart, the water will just stay in there. The alcohol will penetrate a little better than water, but again whatever you can think of to get the water inside to mix with and get rinsed out with the alcohol would be a plus. Then the last step of drying is just to evaporate out the residual alcohol.

Should you go ahead and do this treatment? Sure, why not? what have you got to lose if your phone is already ruined. It will cost you some time and the buck fifty for the alcohol. I did it for the entertainment of taking my phone apart and seeing if it would work. I I thought mine was trashed, so I did it as a science experiment to learn something. The fact that it seemed to work was a plus. On the plus side if it works for you, you've got a great story to tell and you can be a hero to the next person who washes their phone.

DO IT!!! low cost risk with a chance of a high pay-off!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I've heard - and done once with some success - that disassembling the phone and putting the parts in something absorbent - dry rice or cat litter - works.
Last time I dropped my (old non-smart) phone in water, I shoved the parts in a bag of rice, two or three days after it got soaked. After a day in the bag of rice it did indeed work again except the screen had a permanent blemish so I got another one. But the battery and everything worked fine.
My daughter dropped her phone in the toilet and a day in a bowl of dry rice saved it. Be sure to remove the battery and open up any keyboards, etc. (She forgot to slide out the keyboard originally, so it still didn't work when she came home from school. She opened it up and put it back into the rice overnight. Worked just fine in the morning.)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
I just accidentally washed my cheap Motorola TracFone. Since a replacement is only $10, I didn't bother to do much to try to save it. But after about a week, I charged it and it is working fine.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:04 AM
Crap!

Hey guys, just wanted to ask if you know how to fix a phone, if you accidentally left it in your pocket when you're doing laundry and it gets wet? I put it in a bag of rice and bread and it still won't turn on. All it does is hiss out of the speaker an has some water still inside the screen. Please help! You can pm me on Facebook @ Linsay Leann Chitwood .
Old 01-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Patience, Bunny 55. Don't try to turn it on until it's perfectly dry. If it still has water in the screen, it's not perfectly dry.

For what it's worth, I ran a digital camera through the wash a few years ago. Four days ago, my wife dropped her phone in the snow and it stayed there until enough snow melted around it to reveal the phone. We "field stripped" both devices by removing the batteries and data cards and opened all the access doors that didn't require tools. Then we put them in dry rice near a forced hot air heater vent for a full day. When there was no sign of moisture, we charged them and plugged them back in. Both worked fine. No extra rinsing necessary in our cases, though I suppose the alcohol rinse above probably would have helped get rid of a lot of residual moisture and speeded up the drying process.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post

Your washing machine will be fine. Don't throw it away. Just pick out the broken pieces of cell phone and it should work without problems.
This. You are lucky it wasn't a brick.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny55 View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to ask if you know how to fix a phone, if you accidentally left it in your pocket when you're doing laundry and it gets wet? I put it in a bag of rice and bread and it still won't turn on. All it does is hiss out of the speaker an has some water still inside the screen. Please help! You can pm me on Facebook @ Linsay Leann Chitwood .
You might be screwed if its been turned on while wet. Turn it off and keep it off until you have removed as much salts, soap and water (and alcohol) as possible.

I think the rice trick has been successful, but the key is limit any electrical energy going through it when wet; and remove all the soap residue and liquid before you turn it on. If that doesn't work, you'll probably need a new phone...but it was a fun experiment wasn't it?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
First of all, unless you live in a particularly humid area, rice does nothing. A container full of rice will act as a mild desiccant, but it's not going to draw the water out of the phone like some kind of voodoo magic. The water will evaporate out of the phone with or without the rice.

Unlike a lot of silly stuff on the internet though, at least the rice won't cause any harm.

Second, if your phone gets wet, immediately take out the battery and let the phone completely dry out. You can put it in a can full of rice, but in reality, unless you live in a very humid area, leaving the phone on your counter and doing nothing will allow it to dry out just as well. Do not put the battery back in and turn on the phone until the phone is completely dry. Some phones are designed so that you can't take out the battery, which kinda screws you there.

The phone might recover, or it might not. If it does recover, and you put it in rice, you can tell everyone that the rice fixed it (even though it had nothing to do with it), just like everyone else on the internet.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Luminary
My phone went through the laundry a few years ago. Baking it at 140 degrees for 12 hours fixed it. Being hot accelerates the drying process.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by postcards View Post
Get as much extra water out of/off the phone as possible.

Remove the battery, place phone in an air-tight container of uncooked white rice.

Seal container.

Hope for the best.
It worked for my daughter
Old 01-30-2016, 11:40 AM
It won't hurt the washing machine.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Note that much of this advise was given back when virtually all cell phones had removable batteries. That's much less common these days. A phone without a removable battery will have some circuits powered even when "off." I'm not sure how much I'd want to rinse such a phone out..although if the alternative is throwing it away, I suppose it won't cause much more trouble to try.

(Many phones with a removable battery will also be active - there is often a coin cell or a supercap that maintains a real time clock, to the phone has a trusted time. This lets you validate certificates for DRM and WiFi.)

It isn't necessarily true that turning the phone on while still wet means it's a goner. It's certainly more likely to cause problems, but there are failure modes that are non-destructive. For instance, a short on a connector may indicate a special flashing cable, causing the phone to go into a download mode such as the four year old OP. If that dries up cleanly and is no longer shorted, then the phone would boot from flash instead, and possibly work.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM
My wife put her Blackberry through the washing machine years ago. After a long, slow dry in sunlight for 2 weeks it worked just fine.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 PM
Charter Member
The rice trick worked on Tom Scud's phone a couple of years ago, but it didn't go through the whole wash cycle, just 10 minutes or so. But it's certainly worth a try. Take out the battery first.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:33 PM
If you have any of those silica packets that come with some electronics and cameras - heat them in an oven at LOW heat for an hour, then put them in a sealed Ziploc baggie with the phone. The stuff is specifically designed to pull water out of the air, to keep things dry. Heat "recharges" them.

Last edited by md2000; 01-30-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM
I dropped my Hello Sarah in the washing machine one time. The ringer crushed it to bits.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Luna View Post
The rice trick worked on Tom Scud's phone a couple of years ago, but it didn't go through the whole wash cycle, just 10 minutes or so. But it's certainly worth a try. Take out the battery first.
The rice in the rice trick doesn't do anything useful. You could build a shrine to the Flying Spaghetti Monster on your kitchen counter and place the phone in the center of the shrine and have the same success rate.

Take the battery out. If you can't take the battery out, don't turn the phone on. Damage occurs when water shorts out circuit paths and allows electricity to go places it wasn't designed to go in the phone, so the best thing that you can do is remove the source of the electricity. After that, just let the phone dry out. Rice is a mild desiccant, so if you live in a humid area, sticking the phone in a can of rice will help it to dry out slightly faster (only slightly though, and then only if you live in a humid area). Otherwise, the rice has no affect at all on the phone, and even if you do live in a humid area, the rice only helps it dry out a bit faster. It doesn't affect whether or not the phone will survive.

People hear about the rice trick and try it on their phones. If the phone survives, they think that the rice is the reason that it survived. The rice had nothing to do with it.

Baking the phone, as Mr. Duality posted, will help it dry out faster (much more effectively than rice), but if you bake it at too hot of a temperature you'll ruin the phone just from the heat. Since this has a danger of damaging your phone, I generally don't recommend it.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Baking the phone, as Mr. Duality posted, will help it dry out faster (much more effectively than rice), but if you bake it at too hot of a temperature you'll ruin the phone just from the heat. Since this has a danger of damaging your phone, I generally don't recommend it.
Completely agree with the last part - I don't recommend it either. The ICs and PCB internally can probably handle the heat, but the plastic may not. And there may be adhesives and soft components that will degrade if heated.

I worked on one phone that had two boards internally. We discovered that we needed a better ground connection between the two, but didn't have design time or space to make the connector bigger. So we placed a conductive rubber pad between the shields on each one, with an appropriate glue in between. Without this, we had some RF performance issues.

Odd things happen in cell phones. It's best not to take them out of their intended environments.