Old 02-20-2012, 09:58 PM
I would like to talk about sheets

If you're into smooth, soft, silky-feeling sheets, what are your favorite brands?

I know thread count is a big deal, but I've bought some (at discount places like Marshall's, etc.) that are as high as 300 to 500, and they still feel scratchy to me. I know the softest sheets are old hotel sheets that have been washed in blistering hot water a zillion times. I bought some once to use for massage and they were gossamer-soft.

I've seen microfiber sheets, but the idea of sheets that aren't 100% cotton sounds creepy. It seems to me that synthetics that are exposed to sweat, etc., over a period of time would start to smell bad.

I've seen jersey sheets, but would they be cool in the summer? I don't like flannel sheets, as I get very warm even in the dead of winter (which, granted, isn't all that cold down here). Satin sheets aren't the answer, as their "feel" is creepy.

Am I The Princess & the Pea? Maybe.
Advertisements
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah, it's really hard to find good-feeling sheets.

A few years ago at Tuesday Morning I found two queen-size sets of sheets by Court Of Versailles. They feel GREAT. The first set lasted about three years before the fitted sheet got threadbare, fwiw. They are all-cotton, no anti-wrinkle treatments, sateen weave, 350 thread count.

When those wear out I guess I'm going back to Wamsutta from BB&B, the all-cotton sateen weave ones... if they still carry them. I guess I haven't bought them there since like 2004. Hmmm.

Anyway, all-cotton, sateen weave, and without any treatments is what I go for.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks! I've never tried sateen. Good suggestion.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM
I only ever use jersey or flannel sheets- everything else feels too scratchy to me. My skin is very sensitive. I don't find them (jersey or flannel) to be too hot, because I normally keep it cool when I'm sleeping, anyway. Cold room and warm, snuggly blankets- that's what I like.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 PM
My favorites are Supima. I don't lke the anti-wrinkle finish; it makes me itch. Second favorite is cotton sateen. I don't care for flannel or microfiber. I have very dry skin and the flannel seems to suck any moisture I have left out of my skin and my dry skin catches on the microfiber and feels creepy.

I don't think the count means as much as the vendor would like you to think; I have read that there is more than one way to come up with the number.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:11 AM
I like the feel of my jersey sheets a lot, but they aren't silky. It's like sleeping on a big t-shirt. They aren't particularly cool in the summer, but I have air conditioning so it's not a problem. They will stretch out the more you sleep on them after a washing, though... so they're not as easy to keep nice-looking, if you care about having neatly-turned-down sheets.

I've heard good things about bamboo sheets.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 AM
I have had good luck with the LL Bean sheets (I am not sure of the manufacturer, but whatever brand it is that they package as LL Bean). They have a reasonably decent thread count, and don't feel like anything too special right out of the package, but after only a few washings, start to get that blissfully soft cotton texture.

I think that is the key with almost any brand, you just have to keep washing those bad boys in hopes of getting to hotel softness.

For me, jersey are too similar to flannel, they both have a "fuzziness" that I don't care for.

I have heard good things about bamboo and want to try them.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM
I found some incredibly soft sheets at Bed Bath and Beyond - they are called Pure Beech. We bought them in July and last week, the bottom sheet started to rip, right in the middle of the sheet. My husband and I gave each other some good natured ribbing about just whose toenails had done the deed and I set out to buy another set. Found a ton of online reviews that said the sheets were prone to rip.

I'm sad - the sheets were AMAZING but I can't see spending 99.99 every 6 months to replace them!

Will be reading this thread with interest (husband sleeps too hot for jersey or flannel).

Last edited by Glory; 02-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I really like the Shabby Chic sheets I got for Celtling - from Target of all places. They are incredibly smooth, 100% cotton, and wash beautifully.

http://target.com/p/Simply-Shabb...e/-/A-12383887
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I really like the Shabby Chic sheets I got for Celtling - from Target of all places. They are incredibly smooth, 100% cotton, and wash beautifully.
I have a couple of twin-sized sets I bought many years ago--just couldn't resist the adorable patterns. After sleeping on sateen sheets, they feel pretty crisp and scratchy to me. Too sad. Oh well, they'll go on my daughter's bed (heh heh).
Old 02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
I've been buying Lands End sheets for years. Originally this was because the mattress was really thick and the cheap sheets were so shallow that they'd come undone before the morning. Lands End was one of the first companies to sell sheets with deep pockets (although it's more common now) and their fitted sheets have the elastic go all the way around, which also helps to keep stuff in place. For years I bought the same 400-thread count Supima sheets but they appear to have discontinued that line. So now the only similar Supima sheets I could find on their site cost like $250 for a set (and I usually just bought one fitted and one flat sheet for a lot less) and these sheets get terrible reviews on their own website.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I love jersey cotton sheets, but I'm so used to them and flannel that I have a hard time sleeping on anything else. It's warm and comfortable and feels like being wrapped in a well-worn t-shirt. At least until they start to pill.

I don't like using fitted sheets. Anybody have any ideas of where to buy jersey cotton or flannel flat sheets separately?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
People here at the Dope have raved about Lands End sheets. .

I usually buy from Macy's during the white sale. You can get very high end sateen sheets for 60-70% off.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
I found some incredibly soft sheets at Bed Bath and Beyond - they are called Pure Beech. We bought them in July and last week, the bottom sheet started to rip, right in the middle of the sheet. My husband and I gave each other some good natured ribbing about just whose toenails had done the deed and I set out to buy another set. Found a ton of online reviews that said the sheets were prone to rip.

I'm sad - the sheets were AMAZING but I can't see spending 99.99 every 6 months to replace them!

Will be reading this thread with interest (husband sleeps too hot for jersey or flannel).
I adore these sheets and they've miraculously lasted me 3 years although it should be noted that I alternated 2 pairs and I meticulously trim my nails and moisturize my feet But yes, too thin and very prone to breakage. Mine each have teeny holes in them.

I've found that Target's organic cotton sheets are fantastic. Wash them in warm or hot to make 'em soft. My mom's a pretty big sheet snob and has several (legitimate, since there's been controversy) 600 or 800 or 1000 count pairs that I feel are on par with Target's organic sheets at half or 2/3 the price.

I don't like anti-wrinkle features and I don't like sateen, it feels to slick instead of soft and smooth.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 02-21-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I've heard good things about bamboo sheets.
They're fantastic. We bought a set in Key West a few years back, and loved 'em so much that we now have four sets. They're kind of pricey, but they're the softest, most durable sheets I've ever used.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Last time I went looking for sheets, I used the user reviews on Amazon. I just chose well reviewed sheets with many reviews. I don't recall the brands or models, but I'm happy with the sheets I ended up buying.

You can try the same thing as I did, and you'll probably find good sheets to meet your needs.

J.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
My favorites, which I currently own, are called "Euca-Lyptus" and came from Bed, Bath & Beyond. They claim to be more "ecofriendly" for whatever that's worth.

All I know is that they're really smooth and cool to the touch and don't pill up much. Seemed better than other sheets in the same price range.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I bought the L.L.Bean sheets that were recommended. They came yesterday and I washed them twice and put them on the bed last night. They're okay so far. I'm looking forward to the softening after several washes that posters here and on the L.L.Bean site said to expect. Will report in a few weeks.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I've heard talk about bamboo sheets, has anyone tried those? How do they feel? Are they durable?

High-thread count sheets get a BIG thumbs-down from me. The only difference in feel is that they're stiffer than regular sheets. But they more expensive and don't last worth a damn. The set I have started getting little tears in the wash after less than three years. My "spare" sheets (which don't match my comforter, sadly) are 50/50 cotton/poly blend and are more than 25 years old and are still fine. Even my "cheap" cotton college sheets lasted close to 15 years before they became noticeably threadbare, and they still never tore, certainly not just from a normal wash cycle.

If I'm paying a premium price for sheets, they'd better last longer than the cheap ones. Boo.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
I recently bought a set of purple Target Home 325 Wrinkle Free sheets on a whim because I liked the color and they were on sale. They are now my favorite sheets (well, second to a hand-me-down set from Grandma). They are so soft and I love that they are wrinkle free. I'm a princess when it comes to wrinkles in the sheets, whether it's from wrinkles in the fabric or the sheets coming untucked. These sheets hold up well on both counts.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
I have a set of sheets I bought from Pottery Barn on sale that I love love love, but they don't make them anymore. I love them so much I usually wash them and put them right back on the bed. One day I will open the washing machine and they will have fallen apart and floated away. Before that happens I'd like to acquire some more sheets I love, but I don't know what to look for. The Pottery Barn are the kind that are crisp and smooth and cool to the touch. They were fairly expensive even on sale. Someone told me that I might be looking for Percale sheets. Their biggest con is they wrinkle like crazy. Do dopers think I am looking for Percale?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaio View Post
High-thread count sheets get a BIG thumbs-down from me. The only difference in feel is that they're stiffer than regular sheets. But they more expensive and don't last worth a damn. The set I have started getting little tears in the wash after less than three years.
My experience is the polar opposite. My sheet sets are each around 1000 thread count, and I've had them for about ten years now. They still feel very soft, and I don't have tears in them.

I have no idea what the brand is anymore; they've been washed often enough that the tag is blank now.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Not cheap, but they're the best, softest, most substantial sheets I've ever owned.

I've had sateen sheets before but don't care for the sheen look. I like the soft look.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
Someone told me that I might be looking for Percale sheets. Their biggest con is they wrinkle like crazy. Do dopers think I am looking for Percale?
To the best of my knowledge, percale means "higher than 250 thread count". Wikipedia essentially agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percale.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I bought some bamboo sheets last year and I absolutely LOOOOOOVE them! They are by far the most luxurious feeling bed linens I've ever owned. And I have a set of 1000tc cotton sheets that I'm judging the bamboo ones against.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Charter Member
I buy cheap, t-shirt cotton sheets.

Low cost, & I never notice the difference.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Monkey View Post
I bought some bamboo sheets last year and I absolutely LOOOOOOVE them! They are by far the most luxurious feeling bed linens I've ever owned. And I have a set of 1000tc cotton sheets that I'm judging the bamboo ones against.
I have some five-year old bamboo sheets from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that I love (though they seem to get a little dirtier than cotton.) Time to get another set, but I can't find 'em at BB&B anymore. Any recommendation on where to go for bamboo these days?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Not Taunt View Post
I have some five-year old bamboo sheets from Bed, Bath, and Beyond that I love (though they seem to get a little dirtier than cotton.) Time to get another set, but I can't find 'em at BB&B anymore. Any recommendation on where to go for bamboo these days?
If you go to amazon and search for bamboo sheets, you'll get some options.

But explain to me why some say "rayon bamboo"? I'm thinking that you want natural fibers for sheets, not synthetic. I was thinking bamboo is natural because bamboo is... well... a plant. So where does rayon come in? Or maybe I don't know what rayon is.

Aside: If you find a product of any kind that you like, it's best to buy, like 100 of them or something, because they will surely stop making whatever it is as soon as word gets out that you like it. At least that's what always happens to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:07 PM
I jumped on the 'microfiber sheets' band wagon, a couple of years ago. Then I almost lost my little toenail to a snag.

I hate high thread count cotton sheets because, no matter how often you wash them AND yourself, they will soak up body oil like a sponge and get waxy over time.

I just buy what's on sale at Target or BB&B. As long as the thread count is over 350, I'm okay.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
But explain to me why some say "rayon bamboo"? I'm thinking that you want natural fibers for sheets, not synthetic. I was thinking bamboo is natural because bamboo is... well... a plant. So where does rayon come in? Or maybe I don't know what rayon is.
I assume the rayon is for durability, since Glory and I mentioned upthread that pure bamboo sheets (name brand Beech) are very fragile. The "Pure Beech" sheets they now sell are 30% cotton for durability.

ETA: Has anyone tried those Sheex? They have crappy Amazon reviews so I'm reluctant. They gotta be great for the price.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 03-03-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I got mine from Tuesday Morning for about $80 for a king set.

The bamboo has to undergo a chemical process in order to become fabric. Rayon is any fabric made from cellulose. Rayon made from bamboo, bamboo rayon or bamboo could be on the label, but as long as no blend is indicated then it can be assumed that the fabric was made from 100% bamboo as a raw material. There are bamboo/cotton blends out there.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Quote:

The bamboo has to undergo a chemical process in order to become fabric. Rayon is any fabric made from cellulose. Rayon made from bamboo, bamboo rayon or bamboo could be on the label, but as long as no blend is indicated then it can be assumed that the fabric was made from 100% bamboo as a raw material. There are bamboo/cotton blends out there.
I didn't know that--thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Cotton has gotten so high.

I love high count cotton sheets, slightly crispy when clean they mellow to super soft and very breathable.

Jersey and flannel seem to stick to my pajamas when I roll over, and wrestling with my sheets in the middle of the night isn't what I call fun.

I picked up a set of 400 or so count sheets recently, after I stopped hyperventilating over the prices of the 1000+ count sets. They're scratchy.

My Mom, feeling sad for me found some 100% Egyptian cotton 1500 thread count sheets on sale and bought me two sets. The tag on the sheets says 100% microfiber. Insert another sad face here.

I decided to give the microfiber a try and put them on yesterday. I've only slept on them one night, but they were okay. Not scratchy and not sweat inducing as I would have thought 100% artificial fibers to be. I can't really say for certain, they're too new.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:

And these can be washed and dried on high? I thought rayon disintegrated in the dryer or something.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaybluth View Post

I've found that Target's organic cotton sheets are fantastic. Wash them in warm or hot to make 'em soft. My mom's a pretty big sheet snob and has several (legitimate, since there's been controversy) 600 or 800 or 1000 count pairs that I feel are on par with Target's organic sheets at half or 2/3 the price.
I want to thank you....I just bought a set of Target's organic sheets in slate grey color with a black and white comforter set. I washed them all and am looking forward to sleeping on them tonight!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
And these can be washed and dried on high? I thought rayon disintegrated in the dryer or something.
I dry everything on the lowest setting, so I'm not sure. They do lose some fluff in the dryer after every wash, but so far, there has been no deterioration in quality. I've had them for about 2 years now.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I want to thank you....I just bought a set of Target's organic sheets in slate grey color with a black and white comforter set. I washed them all and am looking forward to sleeping on them tonight!
Yikes! Don't thank me till you've at least slept on them! I would say that after 2 months and many washings I was finally able to call them "the best". Don't forget to wash them in warm too -- sheets won't soften on cold.

Ps I have the slate gray too
Old 03-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Sateen Sheets

I bought a pair of sateen sheets last year. I had to wash them six times before they somewhat soften. They are so wrinkle looking. They don't make for a nice inviting sheets. I think they are cheap looking. I like nice crisp sheets. I can't understand how they are still on the market. People still actually buy this product?
Old 03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Yep! Lots do. Because they're soft and comfy. Nobody really invites people into their bedrooms but their SO's so who cares how they look?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 AM
When I had money, 800 count was minimum.

Now that I'm broke, I go to Estate sales and buy leftovers.

I picked up "designer" (high end) sets new, for dirt cheap (the old boy knew how to live).
They are incredibly sturdy - about twice the thickness of the 800-count, and wear like iron. They are also quite comfty.

I didn't get a comforter, and the pattern is out of production, so I turned to ebay. Prices started at $140 and went up quickly. Never mind...

I went to Macy's a month or so ago and, for the hell of it, wandered into the bedding section. The only "designer" I saw was "Martha Stewart" (Steward?). I remember seeing her hot-gluing trash together to make "attractive and/or useful" items for the home. If you decorate in "late garbage dump", I guess that made sense.

Give the old girl credit - if Oprah can take a daytime talk show and parlay into world's richest and have Presidents eager to call on you, Martha can sell bedding made in third world by wage slaves.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
I have had good luck with the LL Bean sheets (I am not sure of the manufacturer, but whatever brand it is that they package as LL Bean).
I'm curious why you would think that anyone but LL Bean would be the manufacturer of their sheets. I just checked out my LL Bean flannel sheets and they're made in Portugal (not Maine) but contract manufacturing is everywhere these days. Why do you not consider LL Bean the manufacturer of their sheets? LL Bean does maintain a manufacturing facility in Brunswick, Maine and they are also a retailer (like, say, Apple) but the bulk of their catalog is manufactured overseas (also like, say, Apple). Do you consider the primary iPhone manufacturer to be Apple or Foxconn?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, it just seems weird to me. I'm interested in the logic that makes you wonder who the manufacturer of LL Bean sheets is.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member
No dog in this fight, but I can suggest linen if you want something that wears like iron, softens with washing though it is wicked expensive. Just keep in mind the sheet set that you might pay $1000 for will last for 50 years and just get softer as time passes. They do wrinkle, which is why you read about the servants ironing the sheets in the old British novels set in the Great Houses. I have a couple sets I got from my Grandmother's linen closet when they were portioning out her stuff after she died. [I also scored 4 sets of table linens for 16, plain white, a lovely royal blue, a lovely deep green and a lovely garnet, and an irish lace tablecloth that looks wicked great over top of the colored linens.]

I have issues with my skin being over sensitive to wrinkles, pilling and coarse fabric so I have given up and we just use regular cotton sheets and I cover my side of the bed with a microfiber plushy oversized throw and I made a duvet cover out of a couple of matching microfiber throws.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 AM
If you want incredibly good fabric for a low cost join woot.com and wait for the sales. I have gotten 1000 threadcount long-staple egyptian cotton sheets for $59 per set (Queen sized.)

I have decided I actually prefer the 850 count though, the 1000's are a bit heavy and stiff. I'm sure they'll soften with wear, but the 850s feel good now and have a much softer hand.

Just be sure it says 100% cotton, as sometimes they'll throw a polyester blend into the mix. Read carefully and you'll get amazing deals there.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:26 AM
BANNED
Soft and rumply enough to hide the usual morning flag ceremony.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
No dog in this fight, but I can suggest linen if you want something that wears like iron, softens with washing though it is wicked expensive. Just keep in mind the sheet set that you might pay $1000 for will last for 50 years and just get softer as time passes. They do wrinkle, which is why you read about the servants ironing the sheets in the old British novels set in the Great Houses. I have a couple sets I got from my Grandmother's linen closet when they were portioning out her stuff after she died. [I also scored 4 sets of table linens for 16, plain white, a lovely royal blue, a lovely deep green and a lovely garnet, and an irish lace tablecloth that looks wicked great over top of the colored linens.]

I have issues with my skin being over sensitive to wrinkles, pilling and coarse fabric so I have given up and we just use regular cotton sheets and I cover my side of the bed with a microfiber plushy oversized throw and I made a duvet cover out of a couple of matching microfiber throws.
I've seen linen sheets for $500 but never 1K -- how do you wash them, can you dry them, and what makes them sell for 5x the price of $100 sheets? You mention coarseness -- is the only draw pure longevity?
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Restoration Hardware's 464-threadcount percale. The 600 is too shiny for my taste. But the 464 is perfect. I bought a bunch for the future in case they get cancelled. However, if someone knows these sheets and can recommend a similar less-expensive brand, that would be great.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaybluth View Post
I've seen linen sheets for $500 but never 1K -- how do you wash them, can you dry them, and what makes them sell for 5x the price of $100 sheets? You mention coarseness -- is the only draw pure longevity?
Hm. Last time I priced linen sheets [king size] was about 10 years back and they were running at 1K, have not priced them lately as I have several sets. They themselves are not coarse, they are pretty much like any other 250/300 count sheet, just the threads they are made of are very strong. They get much softer [and will wrinkle] as they get washed. Not sure where you get the idea that they are coarse, with my sensitivity issues silk would feel rough - I just would prefer to preserve my linen sheets for special occasions as with a single job we are barely scraping by and I can not afford to replace them if they get damaged. One washes and dries the linen sheets same as any other sheet, washer and dryer - we tend to cold water wash and use the medium type of drying, though they are nice hung out in the breeze and then tossed in the dryer to loosen them up so they are not stiff like line dried stuff can be.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
I like Hotel collection sheets. They are offered at Macy's and occasionally places like Overstock.com. I always buy 400+ tc. I can't stand sleeping on anything but cotton sheets.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
/Hijack/ Rayon is a process, not a fiber. Some rayon is made from bamboo. Some is even made from the cotton fibers that are discarded in the cotton-fabric manufacturing process (those shrink, usually). I'm sure there are other plant fibers used. So rayon as a description on fabric is not helpful. The manufacturers of bamboo-based yarn have been forced to call their product rayon so they say bamboo rayon on the label. (I say forced because they liked calling it bamboo yarn as it sounded sort of green and natural. The process of making rayon isn't very "green".) //hijack//

On topic: the softest sheets I ever had ripped after less than a year of use. They were all cotton, 350 thread count, from BB&B, on sale. I wish they wore better. I have a king size bed and can't afford to buy sheets every year.

By the way, does anyone who has a king bed use king pillows? I don't and I hate that sheet sets always give me those useless king pillow cases. It's nearly impossible to find separate sheets (not in sets) these days, too.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
By the way, does anyone who has a king bed use king pillows? I don't and I hate that sheet sets always give me those useless king pillow cases. It's nearly impossible to find separate sheets (not in sets) these days, too.
Thanks for the info about Rayon. Ignorance fought.

As far as decoupled pillow cases and sheets: again, Restoration Hardware.