Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member
Modern Family, "Virgin Territory," Feb. 22, 2012 - Season 3, episode 16

Luke: My mom hates messes.
Manny: I'm familiar with Claire.

Gloria: There are blind models? That's so sad. They cannot see how pretty they are.

Gloria (with disgust): Do you know what a doll is in my village? An apple ... on a fork!

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-23-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Another funny episode - this show just keeps on delivering.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
What movie?
Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and say Jay and Luke are my favorite characters (yeah, Luke gets a lot of love, but I rarely hear anyone mention Ed O'Neill). O'Neill's comic timing is dead-on, and both he and the kid who plays Luke are able to make understated funny, unlike the more clownish Phil or Cam. It's not as difficult to be funny when you have great comedic lines written for you; it's impressive when you can get comedy from character rather than a punchline.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Charter Member
Gloria drilling the target right in the heart.

"With pretty nails!"
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM
So- Haley's not a virgin. Somehow that seems... wrong. She still looks about 15 to me.

Loved the callback to S1 and the song Phil taught Claire about the remotes; also loved the slo-mo gangsta rollin' by to impress the girl down the street. They're so money.

Last edited by corkboard; 02-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
Loved the callback to S1 and the song Phil taught Claire about the remotes; also loved the slo-mo gangsta rollin' by to impress the girl down the street. They're so money.
Until he went backwards with the terrified look on his face. Also, I kind of like that they did it without getting caught...because sometimes kids do things and nothing becomes of it.

Also, I still think one of my favorite lines was from the 'dr'. "We can fix it but she'll never regain full mobility because they don't make that part anymore."
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Until he went backwards with the terrified look on his face. Also, I kind of like that they did it without getting caught...because sometimes kids do things and nothing becomes of it.

Also, I still think one of my favorite lines was from the 'dr'. "We can fix it but she'll never regain full mobility because they don't make that part anymore."

I was also pleasantly surprised at them not getting caught!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM
BANNED
Quote:
So- Haley's not a virgin. Somehow that seems... wrong. She still looks about 15 to me.
The show said she's 18.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:42 PM
BANNED
Quote:
And I checked and the actress is 21.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Charter Member
"Your mother got mad that I gave you a sip of beer and said you were just a baby. Then you ran out of the house crying. Which kind of proved her point, but anyway..."
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
And Jay had every detail of that day down pat. I liked when Mitchell tried to make it a tender moment, and Jay used the interruption to act like he had lost his train of thought.

Last edited by Folacin; 02-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
The show said she's 18.
Yeah, that's not what I meant. (Actually, I think they said she's almost 18). I'm just saying she looks 15.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I too like that the kids were allowed to do something stupid and dangerous and get away with it without suffering harm or consequences (unless that happens later).

Also like that Haley not being a virgin was treated as upsetting news but not bad news, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member
Those kids are fantastic actors. The initial scene in the car in which Alex spills the beans and Haley looks on in horror was fantastically played.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, that's not what I meant. (Actually, I think they said she's almost 18). I'm just saying she looks 15.
The older I get, the younger 18-20 year olds look to me. Could be that if we were all still 17 or 18, we'd say "Yeah, she looks exactly her age." As a 36 year old I say "She looks like a CHILD!"
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Those kids are fantastic actors. The initial scene in the car in which Alex spills the beans and Haley looks on in horror was fantastically played.
Especially considering it was, for a sitcom, a long shot and Lilly was in it and even had a line.

Cam; "This had a lid."
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Gloria: Did you check in your car in the ...
Jay: Trunk
Gloria: Yes, that's where you found the thing that you lent me the ...
Jay: Pizza cutter. Right, give me another one.

Manny: She's like a dream poured into a wish wrapped in jeggings.

Manny: Are you crazy?
Luke: You tell me!

Oh, and of course Alex falls in love with a doll that looks exactly like her.

Last edited by Acsenray; 02-23-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
"Don't call me Thelma! I hate that movie!"
"What movie?"
--------------------

Has anybody ever seen an American Girl hair salon? They exist- there's one in Alpharetta GA and you have to make an appointment. I'm not sure if there are any American Girl doctors but it wouldn't surprise me. (I loved the nun doll in the background, btw.)

It's amazing that this show has no standout actors. On most other shows any of them would be stand outs but this one is so perfectly cast they just work together seamlessly. (I would say Jesse Tyler Ferguson is the least showcased, but that's just because he's, ironically, the straight man.)

And what's sexier than Claire and Gloria? Claire and Gloria with handguns!

Last edited by Sampiro; 02-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Has anybody ever seen an American Girl hair salon? They exist- there's one in Alpharetta GA and you have to make an appointment. I'm not sure if there are any American Girl doctors but it wouldn't surprise me. (I loved the nun doll in the background, btw.)
Yep, the NYC American Girl store has a hair salon (including a spa for facials), a photo studio, and a restaurant. As well as lots of fathers with looks of forced enjoyment overlying desperation stuck on their faces.

Last edited by muldoonthief; 02-23-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I hate to say it but overall I thought it was one of the weaker episodes. Still better than any other sitcom but weak by Modern Family standards. My biggest complaint was about Cam's storyline. It wasn't very funny and it made Cam boring.

"Haley's aversion" however was classic.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Charter Member
This last episode was a real good one. Every character was involved in a subplot that was meaty. They all had good lines or scenes and every actor delivered superbly. The whole episode was like a carefully orchestrated play. How they got so much funny content into a mere 21 minutes was truly impressive. I guess that's why the show has gotten its many awards. And I really hope that Ed O'Neill gets his Emmy because he's the glue that holds the show together. Besides he gave me a lot of laughs when he was Al Bundy!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivlac View Post
How they got so much funny content into a mere 21 minutes was truly impressive.
definitely. the writing is 8 different shades of impressive.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I loved it when Mitch spilled the beans about Jay's hole in one, to his club cronies. Entirely predictable, but superbly written and played. I wanted to reach into the tv and put my hand over his mouth.

That's one of the things I love about this show. Totally predictable gags - like "Haley's aversion" or Cam stepping into the kitchen drawer - that are still hilarious.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Yep, the NYC American Girl store has a hair salon (including a spa for facials), a photo studio, and a restaurant. As well as lots of fathers with looks of forced enjoyment overlying desperation stuck on their faces.
My friend, Andre, and his wife, took their 8 year old daughter there recently...He said the best part of the day was when they sat down at the restaurant, and he saw they had BEER on the menu, it was his salvation!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I was one of those fathers about a month ago. Actually, I loved seeing how my girls were totally and completely enraptured by the whole experience; it was like they were in DisneyWorld. But there was no way in hell I was going to wait in line for the salon and then spend $25 each to get their dolls' hair styled. And yes, there was a doll hospital on premises.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I love how Mitchell and Cam discussed how they'd already covered their deductible for the doll for the year.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
That's one of the things I love about this show. Totally predictable gags - like "Haley's aversion" or Cam stepping into the kitchen drawer - that are still hilarious.
As soon as they showed Claire shooting, it was fairly obvious that Gloria was going to show her up, but it was still funny, how it was a single heart shot, and then she had a line about doing it with pretty nails.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
And I checked and the actress is 21.
That's a relief. I feel better about finding her attractive.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
This show more than any one that I watch is weird to me because I see the jokes and situations coming an absolute mile away, yet I'll still laugh at them.

Only opinion I have on this episode is that I didn't like the subject matter cuz I'm opinionated when it comes to underage/of-age-but-still-too-young sex...but oh well.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
This show more than any one that I watch is weird to me because I see the jokes and situations coming an absolute mile away, yet I'll still laugh at them.
They put a spin on it and it's so well acted. You might see Gloria having a "WTF?" reaction to hospital insurance for a doll but you're not expecting the "apple on a fork" line. Or Luke and Manny joyriding might be foreseeable but when it happens it's so much funnier. "Bad boys...".
Old 02-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Only opinion I have on this episode is that I didn't like the subject matter cuz I'm opinionated when it comes to underage/of-age-but-still-too-young sex...but oh well.
I think the whole point of the show was showing how one dad, who was written to share your opinion (e.g. his slip up about waiting until the doll was married), chose to react when he found out his daughter was not a virgin anymore. He was hurt and shocked, but at the end of the day, he loved her and didn't want to alienate her.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I loved the story line about Phil coming to terms with his daughter losing her virginity, and I always like Ed O'Neill. But why the stupid cliche'd storyline with Cam looking for his goddam tupperware? You can see from a mile away what's going to happen, and I don't get what's so funny about showing cringeworthy embarrassing things happen to characters in a sitcom.