Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Charter Member
I'm in the mood for some unconventional eggroll recipes. Got any?

Tittle says it all. All recipes are appreciated but I'm looking for things like "Southwest" or "Mexican" or whatever else you guys can throw at me.

Thanks for any feed back.

I got my eggroll sheets ready.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 AM
I don't have a recipe but the local Applebees carried these shredded pork won-ton tacos until recently (shakes fist at Applebees for discontinuing them), and I always thought they'd make great "burritos" if you used egg roll wrappers rather that won-tons. I know how to make awesome shredded pork - stick a pork shoulder blade roast, some onion and BBQ sauce in a crockpot on low for 10 hours. But I've no idea how to make that tangy cabbage/carrot topping. Could probably find it online if I looked.

How about shredded chicken mexican egg rolls? Put a chicken breast or two in a roasting pan in the oven at 325 for an hour. The liquid will start to come out of the chicken. Add taco seasoning, break the chicken into smaller chunks and put it back in the oven another hour. It should shred/fall apart very easily. Add cheese, onion, and whatever else you like, then fill the egg rolls and bake until crispy. One large breast should give you enough chicken for at least 5 egg rolls. Mmmmm, I might have to try this myself!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
I don't have a recipe but the local Applebees carried these shredded pork won-ton tacos until recently (shakes fist at Applebees for discontinuing them), and I always thought they'd make great "burritos" if you used egg roll wrappers rather that won-tons. I know how to make awesome shredded pork - stick a pork shoulder blade roast, some onion and BBQ sauce in a crockpot on low for 10 hours. But I've no idea how to make that tangy cabbage/carrot topping. Could probably find it online if I looked.

How about shredded chicken mexican egg rolls? Put a chicken breast or two in a roasting pan in the oven at 325 for an hour. The liquid will start to come out of the chicken. Add taco seasoning, break the chicken into smaller chunks and put it back in the oven another hour. It should shred/fall apart very easily. Add cheese, onion, and whatever else you like, then fill the egg rolls and bake until crispy. One large breast should give you enough chicken for at least 5 egg rolls. Mmmmm, I might have to try this myself!

I was actually thinking about a shredded pork BBQ one. Wasn't sure what else to put in it tho'. I guess cabbage could work.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Apples and sugar, with a bit of lemon juice. Dust with powdered sugar when done.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:02 AM
The last German restaurant remaining within a three county area sells an appetizer of (deep fried) Reuben eggrolls. Corned beef, sauerkraut, pinch of caraway seed, a little mustard, and swiss cheese. With a Russian dressing (or is it 1000 Island dressing) dip. Om nom nom (sorry!) There are lots of recipes online, but I don't know if you need one.

Also pizza eggrolls, mozzarella, pepperoni or sausage, a bit of pizza sauce - deep fried - and a side bowl of more sauce for dipping. I don't like dealing with boiling oil, so these can be sprayed with oil and baked, or sauteed in oil in a frying pan though they aren't as good as deep fried.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Charter Member
I would suggest that you try lumpia wrappers next time instead of eggroll wrappers. Much thinner, and somewhat labor-intensive to separate into individual sheets, but far superior in crunch and texture. They're basically the Filipino answer to the croissant, only not at all similar. They provide a vehicle for the contents, rather than being a chewy mouthful in themselves. You'll find them in the freezer of your local Asian food store.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:46 PM
I had some leftover egg roll wrappers after making the more traditional kind once, and made a 'dessert egg roll' by mashing up banana, mixing in chocolate syrup, and filling it, then after cooking, topping with powdered sugar.

Seemed to go over well for something off the top of my head.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Shredded chicken and Buffalo wing sauce, dip in blue cheese.