Old 05-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Intelligence/genius has limits. Stupidity knows no bounds.

I had the bright idea to put those two sentences together, but before I laid claim to being a great wit I figured I'd check if someone had had the same idea, and they had.

Now my google search of simply the words "has limits knows no bounds" showed a few hits for "Intelligence has", and "Genius has", but what I'm wondering now is if someone with greater search skills could say something about how old this "saying" is, and if it can be traced as a particular quote, or if it's just to obvious to be said to have originated with any single person.

Last edited by naita; 05-15-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

attributed to Einstein, but the quote detective thinks he probably didn't say it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
that is, the Quote Investigator thinks he didn't say it. Anyway, your bon mot makes me think of that joke immediately.

Last edited by bup; 05-15-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I've heard many variations of it, most of which I've seen attributed to Einstein. The version I'm most familiar with is "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits." but I've also heard the version that bup said. I'd go with the idea that, even if you don't recall hearing it, I wouldn't think you could take credit for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Reminds me of the saying about "It's impossible to make things idiot-proof because idiots can be so clever..."
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM
The version I've seen is something like "Just when you succeed in idiot-proofing something, they build a better class of idiot."
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Charter Member
I prefer "Nothing is idiot-proof to a sufficiently ingenious idiot."