Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Songs with only one or two swear words

Uh, yeah, topic. Something that's been bugging me for a while. One Republic - Good Life, Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend, that sorta thing.

The way I see it, cuss words are like cheat codes. (I'm talking the good stuff you get from a Game Genie or Codebreaker, not those pathetic in-game crumbs.) It's absolute black and white...in for a penny, in for the whole dang mortgage payment...so if you're gonna use them, use a lot of them. Crazy Town understood. So did Dead Kennedys. I don't recall a single hip-hop band that ever skimped. I recall a Toad The Wet Sprocket song, Hold Her Down, that had two extremely incongruous F-bombs, but at least that song never made it to radio.

The thing that I find annoying about this is that in nearly every case, it seems completely thrown in. There's absolutely no reason Good Life needed one. There's gotta be at least five ways that sentiment could've been delivered without having to blank out four seconds on the radio edit. Hey, here's an idea: "BS" Bee Ess! Same number of syllables, no muss, no fuss! If it's good enough for Penn & Teller, it's good enough for you! So what was the point, shock value? Since when does a mellow alt-pop outfit need that? NWA needed it. Hell, they wouldn't have had any point without it.

I mean, why the hell did Green Day ever grumble about Wal-Mart censorship? Release something that doesn't need to be censored! I have your music, you don't seem to have a problem with this!

Gah...gaps in the lyrics are just so...so jarring.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 AM
Kate Bush has used profanity in a song only once, and that rarity made it have some amount of power. "Don't want your bullshit, just want your sexuality." from "Song of Solomon.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 AM
The Babys, Midnight Rendezvous. Only one swear word, an F bomb at the very end.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:35 AM
There are a few classic rock songs with cuss words that are routinely played on FM radio without getting the station in trouble with the F.C.C.

The Who's "Who Are You?" has the line "Who the fuck are you?" a couple of times.

Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner": "I don't want to get caught up in any of that funky shit going down in the city."

And Pink Floyd's "Money": "Money, it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody good bullshit."
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 AM
"I Could Have Lied" - Red Hot Chili Peppers. Repeated in the chorus.
"You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette. A single "fuck", referring to actual fucking.

They don't censor the radio here, so the amount of profanity doesn't bother me. They're just words like any other.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:45 AM
John Mellencamp, "Play Guitar": "Forget all about that macho shit/And learn how to play guitar." Good advice.

Steve Forbert, "Romeo's Song": "Been shoveling shit for so long..."
Old 07-16-2012, 05:32 AM
AC/DC- Rock and Roll Singer:
And all the other shit
That they teach to kids in school

Last edited by Zweedo Rodriguez; 07-16-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Streetlight Manifesto does this all the time.

We Will Fall Together:
I once knew a guy, obsessed with the afterlife
Oh what a terrible day that was, he realized he'd wasted all his time
Time was ticking by, and he'd been left behind
And as the clock tick-tocked his heart did stop and everything he had was fucked

Point/Counterpoint has a COMPLETELY random "fuck" in it:
So I waited by the phone but that phone never rang
And I sang so loud so I wouldn't hear the bang
When the bang never came
And I never got the call: Fuck it! Thank you! I love you all!

There are other examples, and other than the Point/Counterpoint example I think they usually serve the song well, though. I think as a general rule if you're trying to make a point a single, laser-guided F-bomb is much more effective than throwing curses all over the place.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 AM
Charter Member
Krusty: Here when you say "What I got, you gotta get it, put it in you", how 'bout just "What I'd like is I'd like to hug and kiss you."
Flea: Wow. That's much better.
Arik: Everyone can enjoy that.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Charter Member
Some radio stations refused to play The Ballad of John & Yoko because they considered "Christ" to be used as a swear word.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:23 AM
"Money for Nothing" has a couple of naughty words.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There are a few classic rock songs with cuss words that are routinely played on FM radio without getting the station in trouble with the F.C.C.

Steve Miller's "Jet Airliner": "I don't want to get caught up in any of that funky shit going down in the city."
Not sure it's FM radio, but I've heard the censored version with "funky kicks" substituted on some audio outlets.

BTW, just to drop a name, I did the original copyright lead sheet for that song (and album) for the publisher.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
I don't think they were that offensive back in 1984 - or more precisely, I think people didn't care how offensive they were back then.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Nazareth "Hair of the Dog" only uses one, but they use it a lot.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post

Gah...gaps in the lyrics are just so...so jarring.
Oh, I don't know, for example, I think the radio edit of I Write Sins, Not Tragedies by Panic! At the Disco is more interesting than the uncensored version.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Barenaked Ladies' album Maroon has a song called "Go Home" that ends with "FUCK YEAH!"
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Charter Member
Warren Zevon: "Send lawyers, guns, and money - the shit has hit the fan!"
Old 07-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
The radio version typically removes the entire 2nd verse, which is even more jarring than just taking out a word or two.

I always thought James Blunt's "Beautiful" had the strangest cuss.

Quote:
Yes she caught my eye
As I walked on by
She could see from my face that I was
Fucking high
It's just very weird in a love song. It's usually changed to "flying high" on the radio.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Charter Member
Walk on the Wild Side: "But she never lost her head, even when she was giving head." I was always surprised when the radio didn't edit that.

But I was more surprised that they *did* edit "ass" from that Pink song from a few years ago. "I'll be burnin' rubber you'll be kissing my enzzz."
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM
mumford and sons have the song Little Lion Man that I've heard on the radio quite a bit with the word blanked out. Personally, I like that in there as I feel that it adds a lot to the song to say you fucked up the relationship as opposed to messing up or screwing up.

Quote:
But it was not your fault but mine
And it was your heart on the line
I really fucked it up this time
Didn't I, my dear?

Last edited by Intergalactic Gladiator; 07-16-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: I really fucked it up this time
Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labdad View Post
Warren Zevon: "Send lawyers, guns, and money - the shit has hit the fan!"
A Quiet Normal Life: The Best of Warren Zevon which I got back in 1986, has the radio edit version of Lawyers, Guns and Money which doesn't even include that verse. I never understood why they just completely deleted an entire verse of the song.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Bowling For Soup has a few songs like that. Occasionally, Jaret and Erik will play an acoustic show, or the band will do an all-ages show (I last saw them at Animefest in Dallas), or they'll even get invited to appear on our local Fox affiliate's morning show... plus, you know they get airplay on Radio Disney - the whole Phineas and Ferb/Love Handel connection...

The only one of George Carlin's Seven Words that appears in "High School Never Ends" is when Jaret sings the s-word:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowling For Soup
... and you still don't have the right look
... and you don't have the right friends
... and you still listen to the same shit you did back then.
High school never ends!
He sings "same stuff" at the all-ages shows or on TV, changing a few other words here and there depending on the audience.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Charter Member
When Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" was first released, some stations edited it to eliminate the word "crap." Others played it as recorded.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Devil Went Down To Georgia has "I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been." Radio edit changes it to "son of a gun," which I actually kind of like better due to the rhyme.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Lily Allen "Smile" has a first verse with the only naughty word, but it sounds so natural.
Quote:
When you first left me
I was wanting more
But you were fucking that girl next door,
what cha do that for
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 PM
R.E.M.'s "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?" has the line "don't fuck with me" in the last chorus. Pretty sure I heard it on the radio a few times.

Michael Jackson's "Scream" - a duet with Janet - has the line "Stop fucking with me" in it. It's bleeped in the video but generally not in radio AirPlay if I recall.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Devil Went Down To Georgia has "I told you once, you son of a bitch, I'm the best that's ever been." Radio edit changes it to "son of a gun," which I actually kind of like better due to the rhyme.
Huh. I think that edit ruins the effect of the climax of the song. Johnny kicked the Devil's ass and told him so, in no uncertain terms. "Son of a gun" is just a cop-out, internal rhyme or no.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Original "Boy Named Sue" has the term "son of a bitch" which was bleeped on most radio. Nilsson's "You're breaking My heart" has only the one swear word, but he does use it repeatedly.

Last edited by denquixote; 07-16-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Johnny kicked the Devil's ass
That's a matter of opinion!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Radiohead's "Creep" has the line "You're so fucking special" in it. I can't recall if it's repeated, but there was a radio version that replaces it with "You're so very special."
Old 07-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Huh. I think that edit ruins the effect of the climax of the song. Johnny kicked the Devil's ass and told him so, in no uncertain terms. "Son of a gun" is just a cop-out, internal rhyme or no.
Yeah, it does soften the impact of the line, no doubt.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Sarah McLachlan, Building A Mystery:
"You're a beautiful
A beautiful fucked-up man"
Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
The way I see it, cuss words are like cheat codes. (I'm talking the good stuff you get from a Game Genie or Codebreaker, not those pathetic in-game crumbs.) It's absolute black and white...in for a penny, in for the whole dang mortgage payment...so if you're gonna use them, use a lot of them.
That's not really the way I see it, is I guess the answer. Profanity doesn't bother me, so I'll occasionally swear when I'm speaking, but I don't sound like the script of The Boondock Saints. To me it's just another word you might put into a line, if it makes sense, rhymes, etc. Copious amounts of swearing sound like you're 15 and trying to impress your friends.

Although I have nothing bad to say about the song with the second highest number of instances of 'fuck'.

My example for the thread is AFI - Death of Seasons. It contains the word 'fucking' twice, and it's the only profanity on the whole album. They put 'scuking' or something like that in the printed lyrics probably because they assumed correctly that the RIAA people would just do a Ctrl+F on the lyrics. And thus there was no Parental Advisory sticker on the album and little 12 year old Electric Warrior could get mom's permission to buy the CD.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Daniels himself refuses to say "son of a bitch" anymore when he performs the song. He always says "son of a gun" now. Too bad, I always preferred "son of a bitch" myself.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Crowded House, Four Seasons In One Day

Smiling as the shit comes down, you can tell a man from what he has to say.
Everything gets turned around, and I will risk my neck again.

I honestly couldn't tell you if it gets censored on radio, I'm too busy singing along.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

The Who's "Who Are You?" has the line "Who the fuck are you?" a couple of times.
I want to say that line is only in the song once, but I could be wrong.

Alanis' Hand In My Pocket has the line "I'm brave but I'm chicken shit" that seemed to get by for the first few months (I'm certain I knew the lyric before I owned the CD, but I could be wrong...maybe not).

Argue it either way you want, but in Money for Nothing they use the word 'faggot' either two or three times. Now that it's been re-released with the entire section of the song gone because Canada won't allow it on the airwaves with the line in the song, I've been hearing it both ways on the radio. I'm guessing I'm hearing it w/o the line on XM and with it on FM.

I see they lifted the ban, but I know some stations still use the alternate version (which I'm reading has always existed).
Old 07-17-2012, 01:57 AM
The first thing that sprang to my mind was Steely Dan's Show Biz Kids:

Show biz kids making movies of themselves
You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Kate Bush has used profanity in a song only once, and that rarity made it have some amount of power. "Don't want your bullshit, just want your sexuality." from "Song of Solomon.
Quote:

And Pink Floyd's "Money": "Money, it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody good bullshit."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
John Mellencamp, "Play Guitar": "Forget all about that macho shit/And learn how to play guitar." Good advice.

Steve Forbert, "Romeo's Song": "Been shoveling shit for so long..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweedo Rodriguez View Post
AC/DC- Rock and Roll Singer:
And all the other shit
That they teach to kids in school
Am I the only who had difficulty identifying the swear words in these examples? It actually took me three or four similar posts before the light dawned!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Tim Fite "Big Mistake"

Everybody gets to make one big mistake
So, I'm saving mine up for a very very special date
So I can fuck it all up in the most spectacular way.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Bob Dylan's Hurricane has between 1 1/2 and 3 swear words, depending on your taste.

"That sonofabitch is brave and gettin’ braver
We want to put his ass in stir"

"And to the black folks he was just a crazy nigger"

It is, to my knowledge, the only song wherein he uses any profanity at all. Makes it that much more powerful, IMHO.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
"We R Who We R" by Ke$ha:

I'm just talking true
I'm telling you 'bout the shit we do
We're selling our clothes, sleeping in cars,
Dressing it down, hitting on dudes...hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
"You Oughta Know" - Alanis Morissette. A single "fuck", referring to actual fucking.
I've heard some radio stations also edit out the word "down" when she sings, "would she go down on you in a theater?"
Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
David Byrne and Fatboy Slim's American Troglodyte

Americans are wearin' that lingerie
Americans are throwin' that shit away
Americans are watchin' reality
Americans are goin' from a to z
Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraiel View Post
Bob Dylan's Hurricane has between 1 1/2 and 3 swear words, depending on your taste.

It is, to my knowledge, the only song wherein he uses any profanity at all. Makes it that much more powerful, IMHO.
I wondered if we were going to count "nigger" as a swear word. If so, Elvis Costello's "Oliver's Army" has the following line:

"Only takes one itchy trigger / One more widow, one less white nigger"
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
A few of my favorites:

Cowboy Junkies "Floorboard Blues":

Quote:
Don't accuse me of running scared,
Listen to what I'm saying
It's a fucked up ol' world, but this ol' girl
Well, she ain't giving in
Cowboy Junkies again, with Sun Comes Up, It's Tuesday Morning:

Quote:
Lunchtime. I start to dial your number
Then I remember so I reach for something to smoke
And anyways I'd rather listen to coltrane
Than go through all that shit again
Elvis Costello "Suit of Lights":

Quote:
And it's the force of habit
If it moves then you fuck it
If it doesn't move you stab it

mmm
Old 07-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraiel View Post

Oops, I forgot...

"Had no idea what kinda shit was about to go down"

So call it 2 to 3 1/2 swears in one song.

Last edited by azraiel; 07-18-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
The thing that I find annoying about this is that in nearly every case, it seems completely thrown in.
Jefferson Airplane's "We Can Be Together" contains the line "Up against the wall, motherfucker". You could argue that the entire phrase didn't need to be in there (it seems at odds with the overall message of the song), but once you use that phrase, ain't no other word going to stand in for that last one.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Fish Cheer
I never heard the version where they spell F-I-S-H
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjepson View Post
Jefferson Airplane's "We Can Be Together" contains the line "Up against the wall, motherfucker". You could argue that the entire phrase didn't need to be in there (it seems at odds with the overall message of the song), but once you use that phrase, ain't no other word going to stand in for that last one.
It also has the words, "We are all outlaws in the eyes of America/In order to survive we steal, cheat, lie, forge, fuck, hide, and deal."

Although, I recall the lyrics sheet that came with the record (remember those?) read "cheat, lie, forge, fred, hide, and deal."

I guess it was illegal to print "fuck" on a lyrics sheet, but you could sing it on the album!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
oops! Double post

Last edited by Labdad; 07-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Kate Bush has used profanity in a song only once, and that rarity made it have some amount of power.
I ran into something similar years ago when watching a video of a Bill Cosby live performance. He was talking about asking a cocaine-using friend, "Why do you do that? What does it do for you? The friend answered, "It enhances your personality!" to which Bill responded, "But what if you're an asshole?" It was just so unexpected, given Cosby's usual "clean" comedy, that it was that much more powerful than it would have been coming from a comedian who swears all the time.

Quote:
I'll add The Eagles' "Life in the Fast Lane", with its line, "We've been up and down this highway, haven't seen a goddamned thing." I don't think I've ever heard that censored.