View Poll Results: Generally speaking (say within the course of a month), do you ever have the following happen?
I have to remind myself to eat, otherwise I'd forget. 13 10.08%
I have to make myself eat, otherwise I'd go without. 11 8.53%
Both of the above. 19 14.73%
Neither of the above. 79 61.24%
Gunter glieben glauchen globen. 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Do you have to remind yourself to eat? Or make yourelf eat when you don't feel like it?

I've heard a number of older relatives mention that if they're not careful, they might weaken their constitutions by forgetting to eat anything during the day, or just disregarding meal time 'cause they don't feel like it. That ever happen to you? And if so, why? (do you think)

Personally, I've been too lazy to get up and walk to the refrigerator, but that eventually resolves itself so I'd have to answer no.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 AM
No, although it happens to one of my brothers. I also know people who lose their appetite when they're nervous or anxious.

It's only happened to me a couple of times when I was extremely focused on something, and once I stopped being focused, I went into "ohmygodineedtoeatNOW" mode. I'm more likely to have to remind myself that half an hour before lunch is not the right time to grab a snack.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
and once I stopped being focused, I went into "ohmygodineedtoeatNOW" mode.
Yeah, if I forget to eat, that's most likely how it happened, and I will certainly be starving once I climb up from my hyper-focus zone.

Only other time this has happened to me was during chemo, which had the interesting side-effect of completely breaking my internal hunger mechanism. I didn't feel hungry. I didn't feel full either. It was interesting trying to figure out how to eat so I didn't either starve to death or split open at the seams. Eventually I settled on a schedule, and attempted to gauge visually how much to eat before stopping. Otherwise, I knew I was overdue for food when I became nauseous (real awesome to try to eat when you feel like puking); and I knew I was overdue to stop eating when my stomach started to hurt from being too stretched out.

It seems like such a simple thing, but man did it suck trying to rely on external cues to figure it out.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 AM
Sometimes I eat like a snake <"why do I have to eat today? I ate last night, damnit> and other times I eat like a rabbit, which is to say all day long. Days where it's 2 in the afternoon and I'm not at all hungry, yeah, I usually force SOMEthing down, just so I don't get a hunger headache.

Then the cycle swings and I eat everything in sight for a couple-few days. That happens a couple times a month; the not wanting to eat until at LEAST early afternon is pretty much daily. These are definite internal cravings that have nothing to do with what I actually eat or stress or anything else. I am female, but I've truly not noticed it being tied to my period, though I may be fooling myself. And it balances out; I don't gain or lose weight, just stay the same.

Last edited by Taomist; 07-21-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Yes, I often have to make myself eat. I have a lousy appetite that completely dies at the slightest stress or illness. I don't get hungry often or at normal times and when I do get hungry, I have to act immediately or the sensation passes within minutes and doesn't resurface for hours. And I fill up pretty quickly and will sometimes be halfway through my plate and totally lose interest. Frequently I'll get around to 7pm not having had anything to eat that day. I haven't eaten breakfast in 10 years. My eating schedule consists pretty much of dinner, usually a late-night snack, and inconsistently something in the afternoon which may or may not qualify as "lunch" depending on when/what/how much it is.

I don't know why this is. I just have a crummy appetite and I also hate to cook. If it's something I didn't prepare myself, chances are I'll eat more.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:57 AM
Wish I had that problem.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 AM
Charter Member
I don't really like food much, so it happens to me occasionally, but almost always when I'm focussed on something, much as Nava described, only probably as frequently as a couple of times a month. I do tend towards the "eating when I'm hungry, and not when I'm not" style, but I am usually hungry at standard mealtimes so it works out as expected for the most part.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't tend to get hungry but usually I'm happy enough to eat food anyways. Mostly it is an issue only when I'm going to work - if I don't force myself to eat just before, I can get a rather nasty blood sugar crash near the end of my work rounds: cold sweat, legs feel weak. I'm not old though and I've always been like this, even as a little kid. Used to be constantly underweight before I started my current job and accumulated some muscle mass.

Given both my brother and dad have type II diabetes, I guess I should be happy that I'm not inclined to have any overweight issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I chose the "none of the above" option, but there have been a few rare times when I'm so involved in a project that I lose track of time and don't realize I'm hungry until I'm starving. The only times I've had to force myself to eat were when I was really sick, like with mono or the flu.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
When I'm under stress, as I so often am, I lose my appetite. I may feel empty, but not hungry. This is good in that I don't have to cook, but I make myself eat whatever food is readily available - fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, maybe a sandwich. When I'm REALLY under stress, I live on Carnation Instant Breakfast, orange juice, and I make a peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich cut in quarters and FORCE myself to choke down a bit throughout the day. (You'd think I'd be a stick insect by now but I alternately either stop eating or eat too much of the wrong thing - potato chips and ice cream, snagging a fast food meal. So it evens out, insofar as weight.)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 AM
It only happens rarely. These days, only if I am very involved in a project that has completely captivated my interest. Nothing, nothing has ever captivated my interest to the extent of the gamers who have died while gaming, however. I also used to lose my appetite when i used to fall in love.

Genuinely old (I"m thinking over 80) people often lose appetite, as they often lose the sensation of thirst, and have to remind themselves to eat and drink. Perhaps part of overall loss of sensation?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Not often, but it happens. Like others, I'll forget if I'm in the zone, and will suddenly realize, "Holy shit, it's 10 at night and I haven't eaten since 6:30am," then will put the nearest by comestible into my face. I also lose my appetite entirely when I'm in a bad mood, so there will occasionally be times when I tell myself, "Hey, you might wanna eat something," and then make myself eat because I know I should. In the course of a normal day, though, no I don't forget to eat or have to force myself to. I eat when I'm hungry and/or if someone brings Doritos around.

Last edited by MeanOldLady; 07-21-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 AM
"Both of the above" - sometimes. Sometimes I forget to eat, especially if I'm caught up in something interesting. And occasionally I'll be really hungry but unable to think of anything that I actually want to eat, sometimes to the point of nausea; I force down something bland and it usually goes away some time afterwards.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Happens to me all the time, especially was a problem when I lived alone in college. (And hence it happens most often now when Mrs. FtG is away.)

If I get distracted/busy/whatever I might get to 2pm before realizing I haven't eaten yet. But I'm not hungry. Just aware that there's no food gurgling inside me. I'd eat, but with little interest, and then I usually have little interest in eating the rest of the day. I don't "force" myself to eat but it's sort of monotonous chewing and swallowing.

So when I want to lose some weight, I just keep finding things to keep me distracted. When I find myself going into "browsing mode" in the kitchen, I take that to mean that I need to find something else to do.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
No, I have to remind myself not to eat, lest I gain weight.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM
I just realized, or remembered after reading posts, that I have very rarely felt actual hunger, even when I haven't had food. I worked at a rehab hospital for a few years, and used to bug the CNAs all day long, asking them check my blood pressure and blood sugar. Blood pressure was often so low they couldn't find it, and blood sugar was almost ALWAYS so low that I regularly got the reaction of "I don't see how you're standing up, much less running around working".

So, it's possible for me that low blood sugar just doesn't trigger my brain that it might be important to eat. That doesn't stop me from going on munching sprees; I do get CRAVINGS, for salt, usually. Get that a LOT. I'll munch potato chips all day and call it good on occasion, and just licking salt off my hand has been known to curb cravings for something to eat. Maybe 'cravings' are really hunger things for me, and they're just not that strong. I definitely get cravings for dark green foods sometimes, or meat, or something specific probably missing from my diet.

Yeah, I may have broken/trained my poor brain.

Last edited by Taomist; 07-21-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat regularly. I'll never totally forget, but sometimes I'm distracted by something else, and rather than getting food when I start to get hungry, I'll wait until I'm really starving. And that's bad news, because I get seriously grumpy when I haven't had food in a while. That hunger crash will totally negate any progress I might have made by, say, working through lunch, and possibly ruin the rest of my day.

So ideally I'll have some kind of plan and schedule for regular meals.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Eating bores me and the idea of cooking drives me insane. I'd be perfectly happy to never eat again.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member
I eat when I get hungry.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
I get shaky and weak if I don't eat. I've been told I get very pale. It's not possible for me to forget.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji View Post
No, I have to remind myself not to eat, lest I gain weight.
Me too. (Looks down at tummy).
Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzuk View Post
Yes, I often have to make myself eat. I have a lousy appetite that completely dies at the slightest stress or illness. I don't get hungry often or at normal times and when I do get hungry, I have to act immediately or the sensation passes within minutes and doesn't resurface for hours. And I fill up pretty quickly and will sometimes be halfway through my plate and totally lose interest. Frequently I'll get around to 7pm not having had anything to eat that day. I haven't eaten breakfast in 10 years. My eating schedule consists pretty much of dinner, usually a late-night snack, and inconsistently something in the afternoon which may or may not qualify as "lunch" depending on when/what/how much it is.

I don't know why this is. I just have a crummy appetite and I also hate to cook. If it's something I didn't prepare myself, chances are I'll eat more.
It's nice to know someone else does this also. I could have written this exact post, with the exception that I do actually try to eat lunch/afternoon food regularly. I'm never hungry for it, but I find that if I do eat, I sleep better and eat less later at night.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisB View Post
Eating bores me and the idea of cooking drives me insane. I'd be perfectly happy to never eat again.
This describes me as well. I just don't have much interest in food. If someone invested a pill that gave all of the nutrients needed for the day, I'd take it.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Before my gastric bypass surgery, in 2010, I was 85 pounds heavier and I had the opposite problem. Now, I often have to remind myself to eat.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisB View Post
This is why I've started drinking Slimfast for breakfast - one less meal I have to bother eating. I'm contemplating drinking it for lunch too.

And I haven't gotten hungry normally for about a year. It started two or three days before I got a Lyme rash last July and my appetite never really came back the same way even after I finished all the antibiotics and no longer felt queasy from them. I mean, my stomach still growls when I'm hungry, but being hungry doesn't feel uncomfortable like it used to, so it's easy to ignore until it's been close to a day without eating and I'm finally so hungry it hurts.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 PM
BANNED
This is going to sound really lame and my nerd may show a bit, but this happens to me when I get a new video game that I am REALLY into. I don't feel hungry, and I am so engrossed that feeding myself almost feels like a chore so I put it off for as long as possible. Also, when I'm working on game-related projects (mods, map making, etc), the same can apply. I have to honestly remind myself to take a break and go eat.

Otherwise, not at all. In fact, in order to maintain a healthy weight, I am often fighting feelings of hunger hours a day.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I eat when I get hungry.
This....for the most part. When I used to eat at any time whether hungry or not, I weighed about 40 more lbs.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
I have to eat a large amount to maintain my current weight, so I do not eat to satisfy hunger - I am always thinking ahead, meal-planning, and trying to get in some extra. I chose 'make myself eat'. I usually can't go without calories for long without experiencing intense hunger, and normally I snack constantly (working with food FTW) and also eat two large meals during the day.

I do lose my appetite completely when my depression and anxiety flare up, but those episodes are thankfully rare these days.

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 07-21-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 PM
With my IBS, sometimes I have to force myself to eat something even though I know it'll hurt later. (Eating anything usually causes me at least some pain) And sometimes I have to remind myself to eat because I've completely forgotten.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Recovering from Knee surgery, (new knee). The pain killers really messed me up. It was like being sea sick for 60 days. I ate not because I was hungery, but because I knew I would get sicker if I did not eat. Sometimes I just jamed as much food down as I could. I ended up loosing over 30 pounds.

Next time the Drs and I will sit down to diiscuss pain management and what they are going to do different, or I will continue tolimp around.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I both have to remind myself to eat and make myself eat. But then I just had WLS.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Love food, love eating and it shows. I find being hungry a really uncomfortable feeling.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I only eat one meal a day, usually in the evening.

Even then, I'm not usually "hungry," but I certainly am not going to forget, and I don't need to remind myself or to persuade myself. I love food! I even love boring, bad food! Chef Boy-Ar-Dee canned stuff is just fine with me!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 AM
When I'm in trial I frequently have to literally force myself to eat, like shove a cup of yogurt or a sandwich I have absolutely no appetite for into my mouth and choke it down. I don't miss any meals but I may still lose a couple of pounds.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Charter Member
It does happen to me when I'm totally engrossed in a task. For example, a couple weeks ago we adopted a 9-month-old pitbull from the shelter, and I was charged with training it and getting it used to the household. I had to take it out every hour and a half or two hours at first to teach it to go pee and crap outside, took it out on three 1.5-2 mile walks a day, trained it basic commands, bought a crate to crate train it, etc. Every day for that first two week period, I had to remind myself to eat. It'd be 2 p.m., I'd be in a daze and wondering why I was feeling faint, only to realize that I hadn't eaten any breakfast or lunch.

Stuff like this would happen in college, too, during finals week or any other intense, sleep-deprived periods of time.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
These days, I usually find that I'm hungry for lunch, eat a normal meal, and then have to more or less force myself to eat dinner. A couple of times this week, I ate lunch at noon but only ate dinner around 8:30 pm - not because I was hungry but because I knew I'd be feeling it later (like when I'm going to bed) if I didn't eat now. It's really annoying, I'd much rather just be hungry again at 6 pm, make dinner and eat. I do that about 70% of the time, probably.

But forcing myself to eat because I know I should is a pretty common occurrence.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Wish I had that problem.
Me too. If I am nervous about something I have to remind myself to stop eating.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
BANNED
Vast majority of the time, I have to remind myself.

Also, I'm really fat.

I'm thinking maybe I should stop reminding myself.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM
If I am really focussed on something, I hate stopping to eat. Or pee. Or drink.

That's why I make sure there is someone around when I am working outside in the heat. Left to my own devices, I will suffer heatstroke.

When I am not focussed on something, the effect is the exact opposite. I will constantly want to eat even though I shouldn't. That is why one of my weight management tools is a good book. If I don't want to put it down, I won't waste time eating. (I don't know why. I can snack in front of a tv show but not while reading a book.)
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Coupled with the ongoing colitis problem, my appetite went out the window the day I was put on cymbalta for my arthritis. Because I cannot take anti-inflammatories due to kidney issues, the doc suggested the cymbalta.

Presto-chango, not only does the drug work well on me, the only side effect I've noticed is a dead appetite. So far, i've dropped about 30 pounds - pounds that clearly needed to go since i was carrrying near 200 on a 5'9" frame.

I look better and I feel better as a result - despite the colitis - which is still not under control, but I'm working on it.

Now the real challenge will be to maintain a proper weight when I don't have an appetite and am still dealing with colitis!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Huh. Saw this thread and am reminded that I haven't eaten yet today. Since I'm moving boxes from house to house and sweating up a storm, I've been concentrating on liquids, since I suck at keeping hydrated. A near-steady diet of diet pepsi won't get me far this way.

Time for food! Now, what's left in the house that I didn't pack...

Yay, tuna! and...bacon mayo!!

of course the cats are ALL for this idea. Shoo! Ok, they can have a LITTLE.

Last edited by Taomist; 07-24-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Neither I just get hungry a lot
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Charter Member
Other: I eat because I love food; I typically don't start feeling hungry until after I have eaten once in the day - so if I eat breakfast, I'll want Second Breakfast, Elevenses, etc, all the way through to Supper and Midnight Snack.

If I don't start eating, I will not get hungry. I'll eat an evening meal, because it's expected of me (and because it's usually tasty) - but not because I'm hungry.

I don't know what would happen the next day if I skipped evening meals too.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:53 PM
I never believed people before when they said that they forgot to eat sometimes, but it started happening to me a few years ago. Other times I do have to make myself eat something because I'm really hungry. I'm not a limited eater, meaning that there are a LOT of foods that I like, but I am a picky eater, meaning that I will choose not to eat if I don't like any of my choices. I'd rather have no food than bad food (with the disclaimer and exception that I am polite when a guest in people's homes and do the best I can. let's not start that discussion again...). I also hate to spend money on food if I don't have to. if I plan to go out to lunch or dinner with someone, great. If I am at work and I forgot my lunch or didn't have time to pack it, it irks me greatly to have to spend money, just because prices are so jacked up. The same yogurt I could buy for 79 cents at the supermarket is $2 at the convenience store. Fuck that noise.

Anyhow, my point was---it's quite possible for me to go for a long time with no food, despite the fact that I really love food. Sometimes I have to force something down to avoid wonky blood sugar crashes or outright bitchiness from hunger.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM
If I'm busy or out and about I'll often skip meals, just because I don't get that hungry. I like eating, but sometimes it just seems to much of a chore or a distraction to go and eat if I'm not hungry. My wife, on the other hand plans her entire life around where the next meal is coming from (ok not quite, but it sometimes feels that way). She's diabetic so has to eat regularly, so I had to learn pretty quickly that if we're in town we need to plan to have lunch at lunchtime. Left to my own devices I'd usually skip it.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:48 PM
I am always hungry and have to constantly make myself not go get a snack.