Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Salami vs Pepperoni on a pizza?

Hi all.

Salami vs Pepperoni on a pizza?

Obviousl the P is normal and the S isn't so much. But it is more like grape jelly or strawberry jam on PBJ sandwich or more like the difference between grape jelly or caviar on the PBJ?

To me they are different but I am not sure they are soooo different that it is just "wrong" to use salami rather than pepperoni.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Charter Member
Pepperoni is a little more peppery, but both are good on a pizza. Not even worth arguing about.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Charter Member
It's not so much a case of apples versus oranges, as oranges versus citrus fruit: pepperoni is one kind of salami. I do like other kinds of salami on a pizza, but it's a bit of a wild card if somebody just puts 'salami' on the list of possible toppings, as you can't be sure what salami you're gonna get.

(Plus, when it comes right down to it, my favorite combo is bacon and ground beef. )
Join today!
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Pepperoni is a little more peppery, but both are good on a pizza. Not even worth arguing about.
My SO thinks otherwise.

We (either meaning me or her(my story is its her) depending on whose story you believe) accidentally got salami rather than pepperoni from the deli to put on our home made pizzas.

She's acting like I had an affair with the hot single lady next door and I'm like WTF is the big deal?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Depends on the style of the pizza. New York style, pepperoni. Chicago style, sausage. It's not even a matter of opinion. It's indisputable fact. (I know sausage wasn't part of the OP selection, but I made an executive decision for the purpose of preserving basic civilization.)

Last edited by Victor Charlie; 07-21-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Well aren't you all civilized?

And shit.

And the new (and our first) pizza stone worked out nicely.

Last edited by billfish678; 07-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Charter Member
As mentioned above, pepperoni is a type of salami. Either will work well on a pizza.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Either will work just fine. If I had both pepperoni and salami I'd put them both on, if I had either one or the other, I would put what I had on the pizza. It's not worth even discussing, let alone arguing about.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
And here I thought the title was "Salmon vs Pepperoni on a pizza?" I was all set to find out who the hell puts salmon on pizza.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Given the choice between the two, my parents swear by salami. They'll eat pepperoni as part of a combo, but if they only pick one, it's salami.

Me? I really couldn't care all that much.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
And here I thought the title was "Salmon vs Pepperoni on a pizza?" I was all set to find out who the hell puts salmon on pizza.
That is one of my favorite toppings..... YUM!
Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
My SO thinks otherwise.

We (either meaning me or her(my story is its her) depending on whose story you believe) accidentally got salami rather than pepperoni from the deli to put on our home made pizzas.

She's acting like I had an affair with the hot single lady next door and I'm like WTF is the big deal?
I think she's just telling you to be careful where you put the salami.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 AM
In Germany (or actually all of Europe, as far as I can tell) Salami is the default, and the most popular kind of pizza. When I first came to the US, I was wondering "Where is the Pizza Salami? Why are they putting only chili peppers (= peperoni) on their pizza?"

I can't really imagine a thin crust, Italian style pizza with peperoni, but I really like it on an American deep dish pie. Hmmm, pizza!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:20 AM
I don't think I've ever had salami on a pizza. I'll have to give that a shot.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
I can't really imagine a thin crust, Italian style pizza with peperoni...
What do you mean by this? I've certainly seen spicy salami (which is basically pepperoni) on Italian-style pizzas in Europe.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Quote:
When I first came to the US, I was wondering "Where is the Pizza Salami? Why are they putting only chili peppers (= peperoni) on their pizza?"

I can't really imagine a thin crust, Italian style pizza with peperoni, but I really like it on an American deep dish pie. Hmmm, pizza!
Yeah, I am not getting this either. You do realize that (in the US at least) "pepperoni = pizza salami" and that when the OP is referring to salami, he means non-pepperoni salami. Or, am I being whooshed??
Old 07-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
What do you mean by this? I've certainly seen spicy salami (which is basically pepperoni) on Italian-style pizzas in Europe.
Yes, you're right. Thinking about it, it does exist, but salami is definitely the default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKilez View Post
Yeah, I am not getting this either. You do realize that (in the US at least) "pepperoni = pizza salami" and that when the OP is referring to salami, he means non-pepperoni salami. Or, am I being whooshed??
Yes, I realize that. I just didn't know 12 years ago that peperoni = peperoni salami. In German, the word peperoni means (green) chili pepper. We do have those on a pizza, but it's usually together with salami, ham and mushrooms.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Pepperoni is salami optimized for pizza. It's smaller, so it's easier to eat in one bite, and that extra spiciness helps a lot.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yes, I realize that. I just didn't know 12 years ago that peperoni = peperoni salami. In German, the word peperoni means (green) chili pepper. We do have those on a pizza, but it's usually together with salami, ham and mushrooms.
Yeah, it's confusing for Americans in Europe, too, where, like you say, "peperone/i" means what we call "peperoncini" in America.

And salami comes in all different sizes. Standard American-style deli salami, which is relatively soft and is usually easily foldable, comes in sizes about 4"-4.5" in diameter. Italian-style salami is generally anywhere from 1.5"-3.5" diameter, and is usually a firmer product that will not fold. Same with Hungarian-style salami.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Salami is not as good as pepperoni on a pizza. Coke is not as good as Pepsi. Yellow mustard is not as good as brown. None of these ruins the dish.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
And salami comes in all different sizes. Standard American-style deli salami, which is relatively soft and is usually easily foldable, comes in sizes about 4"-4.5" in diameter. Italian-style salami is generally anywhere from 1.5"-3.5" diameter, and is usually a firmer product that will not fold. Same with Hungarian-style salami.
Genoa salami is soft and foldable. Hard salami isn't.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Depends on the brand. Sliced thin enough almost any salami will be soft and foldable.

BTW: Genoa salami is a cultured product, as pepperoni should be, but domestic brands usually are not.

Last edited by TriPolar; 07-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Every salami I've ever had was less spiced than pepperoni. Pepperoni is 100 times better because of this. All salamis I've had are bologna by comparison.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Both American-style Genoa salami and the generic hard salami you get in the deli case are "soft and foldable" by salami standards, in my opinion. This is "real" Genoa salami. That's much drier and less foldable than any hard salami I've seen at the deli. This is the typical hard salami I find at the grocery. That's still pretty wet and soft.

Quote:
Every salami I've ever had was less spiced than pepperoni. Pepperoni is 100 times better because of this. All salamis I've had are bologna by comparison.
Salami is all over the map spice-wise. I've had certain kinds of soppressata (a type of salami) that are significantly spicier (in terms of heat and spices) than domestic pepperonis. Yes, the average deli-case Genoa salami or hard salami is going to be significantly less spicy than the corresponding pepperoni. But salami in general can be anywhere on the map.

And, don't get me wrong, I eat the regular Hormel-type of Genoa salami.

As for the cultured product aspect, all salami should be fermented. That tinge of sourness is part of what makes salami salami. You take your meat, season it, cure it, add lactic cultures (or let it naturally ferment), hang it, and let it dry. That's a little bit simplified, but not by much. The fermentation process, which drops the pH of the meat, lends salami its characteristic slight sourness, as well as keeps the meat from spoiling, hence aiding in its preservation qualities.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Yeah, there is a chacuterie near my house that has an amazing range of salamis, each month it is something different and some of them are spicier than typical pepperoni.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't think salami on pizza would be gross or anything, but I don't think it would be nearly as good as pepperoni.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:46 PM
BANNED
Either way, run it under the broiler long enough to burn the edges a little. Then it tastes like salami/pepperoni AND bacon at the same time.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Or?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM
salami on pizza? Where have you been all my life?

I had my first salami pizza today and fell in love. We just haven't had much exposure to deli meats here in the Deep South. I always had pepperoni but found it too salty and peppery if too much was added to the pizza. I tried Salami with trepidation. But it was love at first bite. You get the salt and cured meat yummyness you expect from deli meat..but it was more subtle. An unexpected bonus was the pleasant "chew n melt away" texture. Pepperoni is usually broiled crispy but the salami was cooked long enough just to melt away nicely when chewed. I seriously doubt I will ever be able to enjoy pepperoni pizza again after this. I'm going to search for salami at the market now for sandwichs as well
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
In Quebec, pepperoni pizza is often served with something that is basically pepperoni-flavored baloney. You can find real pepperoni in Montreal, but it isn't common in the smaller towns.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Quoth Antigen:

I don't think I've ever had salami on a pizza. I'll have to give that a shot.
Neither have I, and I'm really not sure why. It seems like a natural enough thing to put on a pizza, and it'd probably be good. Maybe not as good as pepperoni, but you wouldn't think it'd be as rare as it is.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Charter Member
Either is good, but with pineapple, please.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Pizza isn't pizza without pepperoni. Everything else is "put some of that on it, too."
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2844 View Post
Pizza isn't pizza without pepperoni. Everything else is "put some of that on it, too."
Oddly enough, as much as I love pizza, I don't much care for pepperoni. Maybe it's the Chicagoan in me. I insist on little bits of Italian sausage, instead, which tends to be the default meat topping around here.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 AM
Sausage over salami over peperoni.

I haven't had a pizza for years. I am looking forward to eating one next time I go to the east coast.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
And any of those three over just plain unseasoned ground beef.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And any of those three over just plain unseasoned ground beef.

That should be a shooting-squad offense. I don't think there is anything that pisses me off in a restaurant as much as a menu advertising "sausage" but then the pizza shows up with nasty dried-out hamburger clods.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:00 PM
Bacon.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Neither have I, and I'm really not sure why.
Pizza guys often try to hide it.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Pepperoni. Salami is OK as a change of pace once in a while, but generally pepperoni. You can't have both because my wife won't let you because it makes the pizza too greasy. Unless she's not there, in which case go ahead.