Old 01-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess View Post
Not so much stupid as confusing, but the Eliquis commercial.
A man and woman, who look like they're in their late 50s/early 60s are looking at photographs of him as a young man. Then he starts telling her about his medical condition as if it's the first she's hearing of it.

So, who the hell is the woman?

I'd hope his wife would be aware of his ongoing medical condition before he got put on prescription meds. Same for a sister. Is he telling a new girlfriend about his AFIB? If so, why does he abruptly ditch her to play basketball with (I assume) his adult son?
Yes! That one bugs me too. The old guy is at his dining room table explaining how this new drug is so great for him, better than warfarin. He even has visual aids on his laptop. But WHO IS HE EXPLAINING THIS TO? AND WHY?

I half expect to see a Jehovah's Witness or Girl Scout cookie seller who had innocently knocked on the wrong door and is now trapped in this old dude's dining room being forced to listen to his medication rants.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 PM
Plus she spends the entire commercial giving him that adoring, vacuous gaze that politicians' wives do so well (usually while their husband is holding a press conference explaining that he thought the sheep was of legal age, or suchlike). Then, when he goes out to play basketball with the younger guy, she's got nothing better to do with her time than sit in the doorway and wave her arms enthusiastically every time the old guy makes a basket.

Sheesh lady, get a life already.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 PM
I wish y'all would look up these commercials on YouTube and provide links so I'd know which commercials you're on about.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Yeah! 'Cause I ain'ts even gots no TV, man!

(j/k)
Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 AM
The one with the kid peeling the layers off her Grands biscuit saying "he loves me" "he loves me not" and when it ends on "not" she gets all sad so the Dough Boy pushes the bowl of biscuits toward her and everyone smiles and laughs. I just want to yell "eat the damn biscuit before you take another one!"
Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
Yeah! 'Cause I ain'ts even gots no TV, man!

(j/k)
LOL, no, you're correct. I don't have a TV. I watch all of my television on Netflix, with no commercials. But I have to endure a lot of commercials on YouTube, and there are quite a few I hate, but since those commercials are so "targeted" at me, I'm probably not seeing all of the same commercials that regular TV viewers see.

There have been several posts in this thread that have described the commercials well enough that I've been able to track them down myself on YouTube, but some posts have been written in a way that assumes everybody knows which commercial they're talking about, but not enough information that I can find it for myself.

I love mocking advertisements, but most of those I want to mock are on radio.

Commercials I used to love to mock were those that depicted models/actresses playing musical instruments. Usually commercials for hair products. I've been a multi-instrumentalist, and a commercial was guaranteed to make me want to scream when it showed pretty girls with musical instruments ... AND NOBODY COULD APPARENTLY BE BOTHERED TO SHOW THEM HOW TO AT LEAST HOLD THE INSTRUMENT CORRECTLY!

Last edited by Mister Rik; 01-24-2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:46 AM
http://ispot.tv/ad/7fb1/miralax-love-my-lax

I love my lax, and I just noticed the poop traveling through the chute part.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
My current fave is H&R Block's commercial about "Get your Billion back, America" or something like that.
I don't even make a Billion dollars, nevermind get taxed a Billion dollars. How can I get a Billion dollars back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
So, he uses his GPS to navigate somewhere he goes every day? Like his home?
To be fair, the newest generation has real time traffic updating, and can direct you to avoid traffic jams and such.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:26 PM
A bunch of well dressed guys meet a private jet at the airport, and a well dressed black guy and his well dressed entourage hit Las Vegas, where scores of beautiful women moisten their panties at the sight of them. You know they're cool because one of them is wearing a Frank Sinatra hat. I guess it's assumed that everybody knows who these people are, but like the commercial featuring zoom zoom racecar drivers, I haven't a clue.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Is it advertising Ciroc vodka? If so, the black guy would be Sean 'Diddy' (or whatever the hell he's going by now) Combs.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
How about those stupid Dewar's commercials where the beautiful Claire Forlani affects a thick Scottish accent and is always pissed off and talking about some poor schlub named Angus? There's been a new one in the last couple of months.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
I wish y'all would look up these commercials on YouTube and provide links so I'd know which commercials you're on about.

Here ya go.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:49 AM
Charter Member
I saw one this evening for what appeared to be a cheap mobile service provider -- MetroPC or something like that. It featured some guy kicking a purple ball around; the tagline was "the power of the period". Seriously, guys??? You don't have any women in your marketing department, do you?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I always feel sorry for the poor low-level schlub in some credit card commercial deluding himself that using his own personal credit card to buy donuts for the office will give him something over the bigwigs who will be at the office while he's at the beach. I wish there was a follow-up commercial where he explained his plan to coworkers in the break room, who laugh heartily and explain that bigwigs have a thing called vacation time where they can use their larger salaries to go wherever the hell they want.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Lots of commercials lately for Prego that say something like "People that eat Ragu prefer Prego".

Wow, what an endorsement! Do people who eat garbage prefer Prego, too? I am really impressed that Prego is possibly slightly better than the worst sludge ever marketed as "spaghetti sauce"!
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 AM
Fionn, I've been wondering where that guy learned his economics, too.

"Hey, if I spend $25 a day on doughnuts, I'll get 2% of that back to spend on a vacation!"
Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Fionn, I've been wondering where that guy learned his economics, too.

"Hey, if I spend $25 a day on doughnuts, I'll get 2% of that back to spend on a vacation!"
I think he's supposed to get reimbursed once he turns in receipts, but he could still save more money by putting nothing on a credit card and avoiding interest and fees.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
So there's this new Febreze commercial, where for once I must admit I don't think the person they visit is an actor. Or if she is, then I guess they made a conscious decision to have her pretend to be a crazy person, who might be on Meth. My favorite part is when she admits she hasn't cleaned her litter box in this tiny apartment for two weeks.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
So there's this new Febreze commercial, where for once I must admit I don't think the person they visit is an actor. Or if she is, then I guess they made a conscious decision to have her pretend to be a crazy person, who might be on Meth. My favorite part is when she admits she hasn't cleaned her litter box in this tiny apartment for two weeks.
Ha, I told my wife "At this point, that poor cat is digging holes in shit to bury more shit"
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Shoulda made Jessica stick her head in the box and take a big ole whiff. It's gotta be worse than an outhouse on a hot summer day in there.

Last edited by Kimballkid; 01-27-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I think he's supposed to get reimbursed once he turns in receipts, but he could still save more money by putting nothing on a credit card and avoiding interest and fees.
Actually, charging stuff to a CC with a good rebate points system, then paying it off in full every month can work.

Assuming they give him his reimbursements fast enough, this could be a nice way of "earning" a extra $50/mo. Usually considered tax free too- ymmv.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Had to chime in about this one that's been bugging me lately.

For 100 calories, you could either eat this small handful of potato chips, or this enormous bowl of broccoli! Okay, show of hands, who still wants the potato chips?

Then the tag line: "When managing your weight, bigger is always better." Wha? Really? Well, then, I guess I'm off to get me one of those 32-scoop sundaes served in a sink!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
Had to chime in about this one that's been bugging me lately.

For 100 calories, you could either eat this small handful of potato chips, or this enormous bowl of broccoli! Okay, show of hands, who still wants the potato chips?
potato chips please. You'd have a better chance with a Greek salad with broccoli then that cooked pile of steaming vomit in the commercial. I had to take a swig of soda to get the taste of that image out of my mind.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
potato chips please. You'd have a better chance with a Greek salad with broccoli then that cooked pile of steaming vomit in the commercial. I had to take a swig of soda to get the taste of that image out of my mind.
Oh, that bowl of steamed broccoli isn't so bad. Nothing a bit of cheese or some ranch dressing couldn't solve.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
Cooked broccoli is nasty and you lose have the vitamins. Raw, please.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM
There's a commercial for KFC where a woman says "who knew KFC was open for lunch?" She's almost incredulous
Old 01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
A bunch of well dressed guys meet a private jet at the airport, and a well dressed black guy and his well dressed entourage hit Las Vegas, where scores of beautiful women moisten their panties at the sight of them. You know they're cool because one of them is wearing a Frank Sinatra hat. I guess it's assumed that everybody knows who these people are, but like the commercial featuring zoom zoom racecar drivers, I haven't a clue.
There was a similar one a year ago or so from some top-shelf vodka. A group of well dressed GQ types enter a very busy club through the kitchen. They then walk past a stage where the singer waves hello to them. These two things done just so we will know how in and cool they are and if you drink this crap you will also be in and cool.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what's up with the ad where the two guys disappear into beanbag chairs? I think it's for a fast food franchise. What's the message?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
There was a similar one a year ago or so from some top-shelf vodka. A group of well dressed GQ types enter a very busy club through the kitchen. They then walk past a stage where the singer waves hello to them. These two things done just so we will know how in and cool they are and if you drink this crap you will also be in and cool.
She's not waving "hello" to them, she's waving "hello" to their money after they pay 10X too much for "Premium vodka".

Last edited by DrDeth; 01-29-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what's up with the ad where the two guys disappear into beanbag chairs? I think it's for a fast food franchise. What's the message?
It's a Little Caesars Pizza commercial but I don't understand the getting sucked into the beanbags either.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahirrnee View Post
http://ispot.tv/ad/7fb1/miralax-love-my-lax

I love my lax, and I just noticed the poop traveling through the chute part.
Your phrasing reminds me of the time I was at the L. A. County Fair, in the livestock section, looking at the wrong end of a cow. Ugh.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Ha, I told my wife "At this point, that poor cat is digging holes in shit to bury more shit"
Lotsa luck pitching Febreze to cats.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
I always feel sorry for the poor low-level schlub in some credit card commercial deluding himself that using his own personal credit card to buy donuts for the office will give him something over the bigwigs who will be at the office while he's at the beach. I wish there was a follow-up commercial where he explained his plan to coworkers in the break room, who laugh heartily and explain that bigwigs have a thing called vacation time where they can use their larger salaries to go wherever the hell they want.
I have a buddy who has been to Hawaii 5 times on his credit card miles. If you're already spending that money, getting points can add up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
If he's expected to buy the donuts anyway, getting 2% back is something.

Quote:
I think he's supposed to get reimbursed once he turns in receipts,
What gives you that idea? Do companies reimburse for donuts? I thought he had to get them because he was the low man on the totem pole.

Quote:
...but he could still save more money by putting nothing on a credit card and avoiding interest and fees.
If you pay off the balance every month, you don't rake up any interest or fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
That's a bowl of mixed vegetables, with a liberal dose of broccoli. Yeah, it's broccoli, but where do you get vomit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Cooked broccoli is nasty and you lose have the vitamins. Raw, please.
It's broccoli - you think it tastes better raw?

My latest hate: Humira ad for "moderate to severe plaque psoriasis". Now I don't have anything against people with this problem, but the ad is preposterous.

"So when my moderate to severe plaque psoriasis was also on display..." -- Who talks like that? Who describes their own health condition in such vague terms with such a specific wording?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
There's a commercial for KFC where a woman says "who knew KFC was open for lunch?" She's almost incredulous
Tonight I saw an incredulous moron practically wetting his pants because KFC sells Pot Pies! Pot Pies! Pot Pies! Yes, they put all their leftover slimy garbage into a POT PIE, you moron. Is there some kind of contest at KFC to annoy the viewing public with these
blatting idiots on commercials?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Tonight I saw an incredulous moron practically wetting his pants because KFC sells Pot Pies! Pot Pies! Pot Pies! Yes, they put all their leftover slimy garbage into a POT PIE, you moron. Is there some kind of contest at KFC to annoy the viewing public with these
blatting idiots on commercials?
What do YOU eat? Weeds?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 AM
Charter Member
Sensodyne. The jerky, constantly panning and zooming camera movements are annoying as hell, and their attacks on that dastardly fruit and its acid erosion are presented so seriously that it's ridiculous.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 AM
I hate the conniving little snot that gets driven home from her babysitting job, checks out the luxuriness of the vehicle, and decides to up her price. "Hey, buy this car and it means you have to pay your babysitter more." That's going to sell them?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seal_cleaner View Post
Back to the guy who surprised his wife with a trip (to New Zealand?) and some flowers because he's on new meds- it starts out with him driving, and his GPS tells him to "go left." He says, "Not today!" So, he uses his GPS to navigate somewhere he goes every day? Like his home? I don't think he really needs to arrange a trip all the way around the globe. Soon enough, visiting the goddamn grocery store will be a new adventure.
I use my GPS every day to work and home because I have a long commute and there are times often enough, because of accidents, construction, or weather, that I have to make a quick decision to take a detour. I don't have to fiddle with the GPS as I navigate my way through unfamiliar exits and the Cleveland slums.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_monty View Post
What do YOU eat? Weeds?
It's not about what *I* eat! And why are you curious?

It's about an obnoxious commercial featuring an over-excited jackass who is shitting his pants with sheer excitement over a f'ing CHICKEN POT PIE. CHICKEN POT PIE. CHICKEN POT PIE. Jesus Christ. What a pathetic sad little jackass.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Just for a change of pace, how about one of the best commercials ever?

Pepsi Mini!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
[...] an over-excited jackass who is shitting his pants with sheer excitement [...]
Wow. You stare at the strangest things.
And for your information, I haven't tried the KFC pot pies---yet. I sure like the ones Marie Callender sells in stores.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Wow. You stare at the strangest things.
And for your information, I haven't tried the KFC pot pies---yet. I sure like the ones Marie Callender sells in stores.
KFC has had the chicken pot pies as a limited-time-only menu item for years now. Although it was some time ago, I've eaten it a few times. As fast food, it actually wasn't too bad but it's got about five days worth of salt, fat, and calories. That's why I haven't eaten it recently.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
KFC has had the chicken pot pies as a limited-time-only menu item for years now. Although it was some time ago, I've eaten it a few times. As fast food, it actually wasn't too bad but it's got about five days worth of salt, fat, and calories. That's why I haven't eaten it recently.
If you live near a Marie Callender restaurant, order a chicken pot pie in the restaurant sometime. Then, buy one at a supermarket and eat it at home. Compare and contrast.

Last edited by dougie_monty; 03-04-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Quote:
If you live near a Marie Callender restaurant, order a chicken pot pie in the restaurant sometime. Then, buy one at a supermarket and eat it at home. Compare and contrast.
No more Marie Callenders where I live. The last one closed nearly three years ago. That being said, I used to really like their frozen fruit "cobblers" (actually, they're small pies). I really can't eat those any more though.

Anyway, this thread is getting off-topic. Can someone step up and give us a dumb ad?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-04-2014, 06:17 AM
Discover Card commercial with twin sisters.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wi7VHr_S_MQ
From this commercial we are led to belive the following things:
A) Sister who calls Discover doesn't recognize her twin sister's voice over the phone.
B) Sister doesn't know where her twin sister works since she is surprised to be talking to her.
C) Sister working at Discover is able to give info about account without being given name or account info.
D) Sister at Discover is still unaware that she is talking to her twin sister even while looking at her info on computer screen.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I hate the conniving little snot that gets driven home from her babysitting job, checks out the luxuriness of the vehicle, and decides to up her price. "Hey, buy this car and it means you have to pay your babysitter more." That's going to sell them?
Yes, I'm thinking "Bitch, there goes your repeat business." But to be fair, she is a teenager, so maybe it's just an opportunity for a lesson in economics and fair dealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
The pot pies have been around for decades. I used to love them, and ate one once a week for lunch. Then for some reason they changed them slightly or something, and they weren't as good, and I quit eating them. Haven't had one in over 5 years.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM
My peave - the "Framily" commercial. First off, that's just stupid.

Second, the one with the guy who gets told this, so he includes his fantasy football group. That's right, he adds his wife, kids, and then his friends, but completely ignores people his wife might want to call a lot - like, say, her mother.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 AM
Hyundai Santa Fe Don't Tell Mom commercial. For a couple of reasons.

First, the father is a typical TV dad, either clueless or just bad at parenting (setting a tent on fire, buying the kids massive sundaes, wrecking his bike, etc...), while the mom is shown taking her kid SKYDIVING, and apparently doing it very well (landing with 50 feet of their car).

Second, the tag line "The best stories start with Don't Tell..." Unfortunately for me, I work with kids, some of whom have been badly abused, and one of the first thing sexual abusers say is "Don't tell." Personally, I can't get past that.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoot View Post
[URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jk0PG7BzrY8"][...]
Second, the tag line "The best stories start with Don't Tell..." Unfortunately for me, I work with kids, some of whom have been badly abused, and one of the first thing sexual abusers say is "Don't tell." Personally, I can't get past that.
My Dad used to take us three kids--my older brother, me, and our little sister--in the car, and he'd tell us bawdy jokes and stories--he'd say "Don't let your mother know I told you this." Stories like the "billiard drinker." Then when we were all in the car (including my Mom) he told the story of "Tony Barone, the Son of the Beach."

Dad is long gone, and our Mom is in her 80s. We kids are in our 60s now.