Old 07-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Did Disneyland used to serve alcohol?

It has always been my understanding that Disneyland has never served alcohol in any of their restaurants (inside the park proper) with the exception of the exclusive Club 33 and certain private events.

Tonight a group of us were talking and three separate people claimed they remember being able to buy alcoholic beverages in Disneyland, specifically the Blue Bayou restaurant. I maintained that they were misremembering. One person conceded that it was like 30 years ago he remembers his parents ordering drinks. The others claim it was fairly recently. I have been to Disneyland at least once a year for the last 10 years and have eaten in the Blue Bayou each visit and never once been able to order a drink.

I've googled, but it seems all I can find are articles on where you can actually get alcohol in the Downtown Disney and California Adventure areas. Does anyone know the Straight Dope on drinking at Disneyland, now or in the past? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Only ever in Club 33.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Charter Member
Listen to Maggie the Ocelot; she knows what she's talking about.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 AM
Is there a cite or even a book of Disney history I could use to prove this? I mean, Maggie's word is good enough for me, but I already the correct answer.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_33

Paragraph 2, sentence 3.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 AM
You can get beer at California Adventure, but as has been pointed out, my understanding is the only place it's ever been available in Disneyland was/is at Club 33.

Although I have to say, I find it a bit weird to having a nice meal at the Blue Bayou and accompanying it with soft drink or water instead of a nice glass of wine.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 AM
BANNED
Club 33 is accessed through the Blue Bayou, but the Blue Bayou does not serve alcohol. The BB does have virgin Mint Juleps and other imitation alcoholic drinks, but they contain no alcohol.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I heard about an acquaintance who claimed he and some friends could buy beer at the
English pub in that 'cities of the world' part (I forgot what it was called, you know what I mean)
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 AM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I heard about an acquaintance who claimed he and some friends could buy beer at the
English pub in that 'cities of the world' part (I forgot what it was called, you know what I mean)
You talking about Epcot in Florida? This thread is about Disneyland in California. In Epcot it is an adult leisure activity to go "around the world." To drink in every country in Epcot. Takes a strong constitution.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
You're thinking of the World Showcase section of Epcot, which is part of Walt Disney World in Florida, not Disneyland in California. In Disney World, the only place you can't buy alcohol is in the Magic Kingdom, which is Florida's counterpart to Disneyland. The other 3 parks, water parks, golf clubs and resorts that make up Walt Disney World all serve alcohol.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie the Ocelot View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_33

Paragraph 2, sentence 3.
Thanks! I didn't think to look at the page for Club 33 and the page for Disneyland didn't say anything.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
You talking about Epcot in Florida? This thread is about Disneyland in California. In Epcot it is an adult leisure activity to go "around the world." To drink in every country in Epcot. Takes a strong constitution.
Oops, didn't see the 'land' for the 'Disney'.

I did not know this about Disneyland at all.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Only during the International Food & Wine Festival. As long as you stick to one beverage per country and don't try it in July it's not that hard the rest of the time.

I am something of an expert on that particular topic. Maybe I'll contribute to HeyHomie's next book.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Only during the International Food & Wine Festival. As long as you stick to one beverage per country and don't try it in July it's not that hard the rest of the time.

I am something of an expert on that particular topic. Maybe I'll contribute to HeyHomie's next book.
Only one?
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Well, I've usually got to drive home. If I'm staying on property I have two per country and then as many as I can get down in the Rose & Crown before I pass out. As a rule, that's not very many.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
I remember some unfavorable reactions to Disneyland Paris due to the park's refusal to sell alcohol. I believe the may sell beer and wine in Paris now, but still not at the US parks.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
As noted above, they sell it everywhere at Walt Disney World except the Magic Kingdom, even the water parks.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens View Post
You're thinking of the World Showcase section of Epcot, which is part of Walt Disney World in Florida, not Disneyland in California. In Disney World, the only place you can't buy alcohol is in the Magic Kingdom, which is Florida's counterpart to Disneyland. The other 3 parks, water parks, golf clubs and resorts that make up Walt Disney World all serve alcohol.
Yes, and contrary to what some of my classmates thought on our senior class trip the shops have to follow Florida's liquor laws, not the ones of the country they represent. A few fake IDs and some poorly trained staff at the Japanese pavillion saved the day.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 07-24-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Yes, and contrary to what some of my classmates thought on our senior class trip the shops have to follow Florida's liquor laws, not the ones of the country they represent. A few fake IDs and some poorly trained staff at the Japanese pavillion saved the day.
WHAT! <splutter splutter>
Are you saying that those pavilions are NOT treated the same as embassies?
I suppose that explains why you never hear about someone seeking asylum at Epcot.

Last edited by Gagundathar; 07-24-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: I saw that Epcot is no longer an acronym.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
In Epcot it is an adult leisure activity to go "around the world."
Actually it is everywhere, but it'll cost you an extra $50.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Actually it is everywhere, but it'll cost you an extra $50.

Let's give it up for the comedy stylings of kunilou!
Remember, the 12 o'clock show is completely different than the 9 o'clock show!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone View Post
Club 33 is accessed through the Blue Bayou, but the Blue Bayou does not serve alcohol. The BB does have virgin Mint Juleps and other imitation alcoholic drinks, but they contain no alcohol.
That's not quite right. Club 33 is accessed through a private entrance right next to the Blue Bayou entrance but you do not go into Blue Bayou to enter Club 33 (behind the scenes they do share facilities).

Alcohol has never been in the generally accessible areas of the park.

That said, when Disney premiered the Snow White - An Enchanting Musical stage show back in 2004 (see here for the red carpet coverage I contributed to), after the red card premiere showing they converted Innoventions (which is generally not worth seeing) in a pretty kickass night club and I drank martinis poured through a giant ice carving that started on the second floor and came out on the ground floor.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Did Disneyland used to serve alcohol?

It still does, although the costs of the flight out there would be prohibitive.

Or what Barkis is Willin' just said

Last edited by JustinC; 07-25-2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Ninja'd
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini Enfield View Post
You can get beer at California Adventure, but as has been pointed out, my understanding is the only place it's ever been available in Disneyland was/is at Club 33.
Unless I'm mistaken, there is also wine available in California Adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Second Stone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obfusciatrist View Post
That's not quite right. Club 33 is accessed through a private entrance right next to the Blue Bayou entrance but you do not go into Blue Bayou to enter Club 33 (behind the scenes they do share facilities).
This past April, as we were checking out of the Dream Suite, the elevator to get us downstairs broke down (not with us on it). Kayla and her friend walked down the grand staircase from the balcony, but kaylasmom's hip had been bothering her and she was in a wheelchair the staff had kindly provided to us. So I suggested to the concierge that we cut through Club 33 (always a dream of ours to set foot there) and take the members elevator down. We sort of to do that. She brought us through the sous chef's kitchen of the club, and we took the service elevator.

One more item checked off the bucket list.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I remember some unfavorable reactions to Disneyland Paris due to the park's refusal to sell alcohol. I believe the may sell beer and wine in Paris now, but still not at the US parks.
Disneyland Paris certainly serves alcohol in the restaurants. Example.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Charter Member
Is there a Disney World equivalent to Club 33?
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Btw, you can get more than beer & wine at California Adventure. There are two full bars in the park, and one margarita stand.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Is there a Disney World equivalent to Club 33?
Not that I am aware of.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
There are several corporate VIP lounges at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but nothing quite like Club 33.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
They just opened a lounge in Disney's California Adventure, called 1901, that Club 33 members can visit for drinks and appetizers. Tokyo Disneyland also has a Club 33 with a separate membership.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
Disneyland Paris certainly serves alcohol in the restaurants. Example.
They didn't until 1993, though. It was a big to-do at the time.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Charter Member
What's Disneyland Paris? Wasn't it supposed to be Euro-Disney?

Did they change it?
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes. Also in '93, I think.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
What's Disneyland Paris? Wasn't it supposed to be Euro-Disney?

Did they change it?
Yes. It seems the original name appealed more to Americans than Europeans. Europeans tend to associate the "Euro-" prefix with business or politics, not a family vacation. Emphasizing the Paris location (okay, it's technically not in Paris, but it's on a suburban train route...) has proved to be much better for business.

And yes, they serve alcohol at all sit-down restaurants throughout the resort, unlike in California and Florida.

Last edited by flodnak; 07-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Not that specific dates make much difference but Euro Disneyland became Euro Disneyland Paris in June 1993 and became Disneyland Paris Resort in October 1995.

They began serving alcohol inside the park in mid-1993, a little over a year after the park opened in 1992.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Generally people here are correct; according to Walt Disney's wishes, the only facility that has serves alcohol on a regular basis is Club 33.

There are two exceptions. One was a short-lived area known as "Holidayland", which was an area containing fairground-type activities and mostly used for corporate functions. Alcohol was for sale there, and it sat roughly in the place of present day Pirates in the Caribbean/Blue Bayou.

Also, present day park-wide special events continue to serve alcohol, such as many annual passholder parties, movie premieres, etc.

Last edited by Hyperion89; 07-25-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sapiens View Post
In Disney World, the only place you can't buy alcohol is in the Magic Kingdom...
Magic Kingdom No Longer "Dry", Ready To Serve Beer & Wine
Old 09-15-2012, 06:03 PM
I sneaked in Tequila in a water bottle to D-land. There was much joy that trip.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 AM
I had forgotten about this thread. I emailed guest services and received an email from them stating that the policy of no alcohol (with certain exceptions) inside Disneyland Park has been in effect since park opening. This was sufficient to convince my friends that they mistaken. Most likely their parents were drinking the non-alcoholic mint juleps that they serve in New Orleans Square.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I sneaked in Tequila in a water bottle to D-land. There was much joy that trip.
Yeah, getting alcohol in is pretty easy.

Now that the Magic Kingdom in Disney World is serving alcohol, Disneyland probably won't be far behind.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, what they're doing at the Magic Kingdom isn't really much different than what they already have at Disneyland--it's not like you're going to be able to grab a beer at any refreshment stand, it's going to be at dinner at a reservation-taking sit-down restaurant .
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM
In the old days there was a bar right at the Disneyland Hotel monorail station. Parents would take their kids to DL and after a few rides would hand the kids the ticket books and go "ride the monorail".

/old
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404 View Post
I had forgotten about this thread. I emailed guest services and received an email from them stating that the policy of no alcohol (with certain exceptions) inside Disneyland Park has been in effect since park opening. This was sufficient to convince my friends that they mistaken. Most likely their parents were drinking the non-alcoholic mint juleps that they serve in New Orleans Square.
Or they were just confusing California Adventure with Disneyland - they're about a thiry second walk from each other and many (most?) people would visit both if they were on holiday. They seem like two sections of the same theme park to me.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Or they were just confusing California Adventure with Disneyland - they're about a thiry second walk from each other and many (most?) people would visit both if they were on holiday. They seem like two sections of the same theme park to me.
Nah, they were talking about going with their parents as kids, way before CA was ever built.