Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM
"I have to pee so bad my back teeth are swimming" - what does that mean, exactly?

The piss has backed up into the mouth, and the molars are doing a backstroke in it?

Or is it supposed to describe some kind of sensation one feels in their back teeth when they have piss really bad?

Or what?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Charter Member
Pretty sure it's the former.

I'd never heard the expression before when I read it in a French slang book as j'ai les dents du fond qui baignent, and for a while didn't know it was used in English too. Wonder where it originated.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Charter Member
And in French I think it's used to mean "I've had a lot/too much to drink" rather than literally "I have to pee," although one problem often accompanies the other...
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Charter Member
I've definitely felt my teeth itch when I had to pee.
I don't know how else to describe it.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I've heard it as "my teeth are floating" and usually understood it to mean one had drunk so much liquid it had backed up. Figuratively, anyway.

Last edited by Bosstone; 08-03-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
I've heard it as "my teeth are floating" and usually understood it to mean one had drunk so much liquid it had backed up. Figuratively, anyway.
I've always thought that's what it meant.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 PM
That's what I've always thought it meant also.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 PM
I've assumed that it is more figurative than not, but I also get a sensation in my teeth/jaw sometimes when I have to go or start to go. It's probably related to the infamous piss-shiver issue that has received so much research here at the SD.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Horrified Onlooker
It means you've turned into a giant bladder.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post

I'd never heard the expression before when I read it in a French slang book as j'ai les dents du fond qui baignent, and for a while didn't know it was used in English too. Wonder where it originated.
My German mother learned French and English in school and used this phrase frequently, maybe she picked this up in school or when we lived in France. Thanks for the information! She always used it to mean she had to pee so bad she was filled up to the back molars. As a child, I always got a mental picture of a hollow person filled with pee!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
And in French I think it's used to mean "I've had a lot/too much to drink" rather than literally "I have to pee," although one problem often accompanies the other...
French here. Yes, it means "I've had a lot/too much to drink".
Old 08-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Quote:

Another vivid French-language expression I've heard for the same thing is j'ai les yeux jaunes, "my eyes are yellow."
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim View Post
The piss has backed up into the mouth, and the molars are doing a backstroke in it?
This ^^^^

Quote:
Or is it supposed to describe some kind of sensation one feels in their back teeth when they have piss really bad?

Or what?
And not this ^^^^
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I believe, "My back teeth are floating" is the more commonly used phrase.

As Cheech put it "Get me outta here man! I gotta go! My back teeth are floating, man." - Up in Smoke (1978)