Old 08-19-2012, 06:02 PM
High school reunions. Tell me your stories

I have my 35th high school reunion coming up in 3 weeks. I did go to my 10 year one which was not a great time. People still huddled in their cliques and wouldn't mingle. Plus, I had to kick one guy (lightly) in the shins and tell him to quit hitting on my somewhat drunk best friend and go back to his wife. I haven't been back to one since.

Friends and family now insist that things have changed, that my classmates will have lightened up and matured and they promise that it will be a fun time. I'm not exactly convinced, but am willing to give it a shot.

So, tell me your HS or college reunion stories - good or bad.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Charter Member
Here's my 30th.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Charter Member
I had my 30th anniversary school reunion in September last year. I enjoyed it tremendously.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Charter Member
My wife had a horrible time in HS - smarter than the rest of the kids, completely out of step with her schools culture, had very few friends. She had no desire to go to her 10-year HSR but I insisted.

She went there expecting to find the same social dynamic... and failed. All the "popular" kids were still in the same small town, married to the same loser guys they dated in the 12th grade. One woman, who Laura said was extremely popular, came up to us and pretty much sneered "So, what have you been doing?"

"Well, we just got back from London. John and I live in Atlanta, where he's an up-and-coming junior executive working for his family's business."

"Oh..."

"Is Ray still selling used cars?", my wife asked sweetly.*

Yeah... it was pretty awesome.

As for my HS reunion, I can't remember if I'm class of '84 or class of '85, don't really care, and have never been to one.

*No. He had been fired for being drunk on the job. Ray was the sort of person who's life peaked in high school - kind of like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.

Last edited by JohnT; 08-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I went to my tenth... or tenth and a half, as we did an end of year party. It was... awesome. Hatches buried, water under the bridge. As kids many bullied me. Now... I have to admit they grew up, and appreciate the maturity of the guys (mainly) who came up to me apologizing (sincerely) for their stupid behavior. Really, it was awesome.

Also, karma weights 40 pounds (I lost about 20 lbs since HS, they had gained 20 lbs).

People grew up, and it was nice to see the improvement. Oh, and the ones who bullied me the most? Nah, they didn't show up, so no need to even think of them. And it was open bar!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
Meh, high school reunions.

The only one I've ever gone to was my 10th (I was in town because my brother was getting married, so it was kinda on a lark anyway). Here's what I remember from it: the popular crowd still wouldn't talk to us plebes. There was one gal there who was kind of a burnout in school and I could not figure out why she was there at all since she was by herself (we spent a large part of the night outside smoking and talking - best part of the night).

And the one whackjob, the one guy who liked to start shit and beat people up?

He moved to LA and became a cop.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Went to my 20th and 25th. Had a great time at both. Reconnected with several good friends that have again become good friends. Some acquaintances became good friends. I asked my wife if she wanted to go to the 20th. She absolutely did not but wanted me to go. I got drunk and had a great time. After she accused my of sleeping with my ex girlfriend. I did not. At my 25th I was single and had a great time. This time I did sleep with someone but it wasn't my ex girlfriend.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
One of my high school classmates was always carrying on about one ailment or another, although it never seemed to me like there was actually anything wrong with her. The coolest thing was that whenever a pop test was announced in class, she would faint. I donít think she was faking since she hit the floor hard. Everyone wanted to be in class with Barb because there were never pop tests.

Her boyfriend was, I thought, the greatest guy in our class. He was smart, good looking, well-to-do, athletic, and classy. For some reason, however, Barbís father forbade her to see Bob and watched her like a hawk. Bob moved away.

Ten-year reunion: Barb and Bob are both married to others. They hook up and leave early. Barb has a stroke and dies in their motel room during the night.

Apparently I was wrong about her being a hypochondriac.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
I helped organize and attended my 40th. First and last time. Boring affair, although I got to see a few people that I had good memories of. Otherwise: meh.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Charter Member
I had my 40th two years ago. It was great. We rented a boat and had a sailing cruise and it was fun seeing everyone again. Our class was very close knit in a small school, and most of us knew each other from kindergarten.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM
BANNED
Had my 15th (HS) last November. After missing my 10th, it was nice to see people again. (though being the 15th and not 10th, relatively lite turnout) Fun hearing how people's lives have changed in the last 15 years, realizing I'm not all that much different. Nicest part? Most of the guys are going bald. (just like me)
Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Charter Member
I went to my 10th, 20th, 30th and 40th. It's amazing how much people had mellowed out over the years between reunions.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Charter Member
I think what most have said here is right, the cliques have broken up.

I've been to my 10th, 20th, and 30th. Next year will be the 40th, but I haven't heard yet if there's to be anything going on, and that concerns me.

I remember at my 10th one guy who wasn't actually there, but I've seen since, and read about in our local paper. Phil had been in all the plays, musicals and singing groups and firmly intended on going into show business. But by the time of the 10th, he sent back a message for our memory book and told us how, a year after we graduated, he got "the call" and was now in training at a seminary to be a Catholic priest. Said "it wasn't something I'd ever thought about before, but when the call came I couldn't say no." So this short little blonde dude ended up a missionary in Africa for years, and last I heard was a wheel in some church agency in Washington D.C.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Skipped both my 10 & 20 year reunions. Partly because I have stayed in touch with the people I wanted to but mainly because my school had a problem with abusers while I was there (not me but a friend who committed suicide over it) and I'm not going to support anything to do with the place anymore.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM
I was going to go to my 10th, when it was tentatively scheduled for this June. Then they said since they didn't have anything ready they were rescheduling it for 12 hours before Thanksgiving.

When people complained they whined about doing their best and blah blah blah. I wish they would have said they were sorry they agreed to plan it and let someone else take over.

I understand we're not the first class ever to try Thanksgiving for a class reunion. The class before us from my high school did last year actually and it was really poorly attended.

The logic is that a lot of alums are in the area that week, but I think there's a reason everyone comes back... something involving turkey. It's like opening an independent coffee shop in a small town next door to its only Starbucks because your research indicates everyone buys coffee on that block.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina_f View Post
One of my high school classmates was always carrying on about one ailment or another, although it never seemed to me like there was actually anything wrong with her. The coolest thing was that whenever a pop test was announced in class, she would faint. I donít think she was faking since she hit the floor hard. Everyone wanted to be in class with Barb because there were never pop tests.

Her boyfriend was, I thought, the greatest guy in our class. He was smart, good looking, well-to-do, athletic, and classy. For some reason, however, Barbís father forbade her to see Bob and watched her like a hawk. Bob moved away.

Ten-year reunion: Barb and Bob are both married to others. They hook up and leave early. Barb has a stroke and dies in their motel room during the night.

Great story!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I graduated in 2004, so no official class reunions yet. but her have been places where I've happened to meet some people I haven't seen since June, '04. I was not a Cool Kid in high school, but when I've met some of these people (most of whom were Cool Kids) in the Real World it was a good time. The important thing is: you have a few drinks and remember how stupid you all were in high school. Now you're all (1)real people, (2)living in the real world, and (3)you're all adults. Just treat it like you would treat any occasion with a lot of people who you don't know*. Try to have a good time and you'll probably succeed.

*Think about it: are you the same person you were in high school?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
I was going to go to my 10th, when it was tentatively scheduled for this June. Then they said since they didn't have anything ready they were rescheduling it for 12 hours before Thanksgiving.

When people complained they whined about doing their best and blah blah blah. I wish they would have said they were sorry they agreed to plan it and let someone else take over.

I understand we're not the first class ever to try Thanksgiving for a class reunion. The class before us from my high school did last year actually and it was really poorly attended.

The logic is that a lot of alums are in the area that week, but I think there's a reason everyone comes back... something involving turkey. It's like opening an independent coffee shop in a small town next door to its only Starbucks because your research indicates everyone buys coffee on that block.
Around me the night before thanksgiving is when people go to the local bar and meet up informally. Not when you schedule events.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
I've skipped most of mine, since I didn't like those people then. Why would I pay money to see them now? But I do have an amusing story about my 10 year:

I was standing in a group of people, chatting about others. I was saying "It isn't fair. I came here to see all the cheerleaders fat and pregnant, but there's L***** W****. She's still trim, she's still hot, she's still cute..." and someone leaned in from behind me and said "She's still a bitch, too."

Made the whole reunion worthwhile.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Charter Member
Never been to one. I was out of province for our 10 year reunion, and as far as I know there's not been another.

Not much school spirit, I guess.

Last edited by Northern Piper; 08-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Did the tenth and the twentieth (though technically I did not graduate from that HS). 20th was a lot more fun. Barely recognized some people but was nice to catch up. That being said, with FB and what not there wasnt really a lot more I wanted to learn about these people. In fact, it got kind of dull with the same conversations again and again. I guess there is a reason I am not friends with most of these people irl. All that being said, it was fun to go to.....and I banged pretty much every hot girl there over the preceeding 20 years (not bragging, just a fact) so that made it interesting.

Last edited by Lochdale; 08-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina_f View Post

That's awesome!

I didn't start attending until the 25th and I've been to three since then. The cliques are still evident, but they aren't really cliques -- these people were friends in HS and they stayed in touch after. Nothing wrong with that. No one gets snubbed, everyone makes a point of chatting with everyone else, at least for a little while.

At one of the reunions, a classmate made CDs for everyone of songs that were popular in 1963. The cover art was our individual senior pictures. Pretty cool, I thought. At another reunion one of our favorite teachers was a guest. I was surprised that she wasn't much older than we were. I always looked at teachers as old, even the young ones.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:30 AM
I went to my 5th - eh, it was fine. It was just like a high school dance only we could all drink legally.

I went to my 10th - it was a lot of fun. I had changed enough from the person I was in high school (quite, unassuming, plain looking) to be the one many of the guys were interested in. That was kind of cool. Of course I was married, so...too bad for them.

We didn't have a 15th, and I missed our 20th.

My 25th is next weekend. I'm going. It's a casual family thing. We're actually doing it with all three high schools in the area and several different years. Personally, I would rather it just be my class and my school, but I'm going anyway. There are enough people I would like to see and who have mentioned they would kill me if I don't show, that I am definitely going.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop View Post
That's part of the reason we moved our celebration to end-of-year. Christmas and New Year's would make many of us who lived outside the area go back, if at least to visit family. So we squeezed the celebration there. Not exactly the date I originally wanted, but it turned out to be the best idea. We celebrated the New Year a day early, and I mark it as the start of a pretty good year so far (2012).

My dad always goes to his, but it seems his year had less cliques (in the "we're all really nerdy" way). His 50th is coming soon...

Oh, I guess part of the reason I liked it is because many of those who attended had really grown up. The only two I had characterized as bitches in HS, I had the chance to see briefly between a year (or 5) before. Yea, they still be bitches. Even though the people around them had given up bullying and matured, they still ignored me (rather bluntly). So they were not missed by many at the party.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Couldn't afford my first one, and thought it was weird it wasn't held in our high school or even our home town, and a lot of my friends weren't in my graduating class. And my high school friend was pregnant and loathe to shell out for an open bar when she couldn't drink. So we crashed the hotel, hung out in the lobby, and said hi to people as they came in and out.

And now with Facebook, I can keep tabs on everyone anyway.

Last edited by jackdavinci; 08-20-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
The only reunion I ever heard about in advance was our 10th. I attended. It was held in an armory, complete with live band. I don't know if the band was good or bad, because the acoustics sucked and all I heard were reverberations.

Out of a class of almost 850, fewer than 200 showed up. I stood there talking to one girl for a while, and when she stepped away, I had to ask who she was - turns out she and I had known each other since 1st grade, and 10 years after graduation, I didn't recognize her!! The few people I was most interested in seeing didn't even show up.

One of my better friends showed up with her husband, sorta. He walked in, looked around, turned around and left. At least he had the decency to leave the car, and he walked home. My friend and I hung out, and not too long after the reunion, she dumped his sorry ass. But all in all, it wasn't a very pleasant time.

I guess I should mention that the year after graduation, I joined the Navy and during the subsequent years, I'd lived in several places quite different from the white-bread suburb where I spent my formative years. Many of my classmates, on the other hand, stayed put. Some are still in the same neighborhood they were all those years ago.

This year would have been my 40th, and I now live close enough that I could have gone, but there was nothing planned and as I think about it, there really aren't too many people that I'd care about seeing anyway. I occasionally email to a couple of old friends, and I know a few have died, but they were a part of my life that just didn't mean all that much to me - high school was just a brief phase that I had to endure. Just not that big a deal.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:14 AM
I went to our 10th which was pretty good. It was actually really convenient; the place was two blocks from my house and my wife wasn't bored since we are high school sweethearts. I liked showing off the fact that I (a band and theatre geek) married one of the popular girls.

Not as many people as we hoped were there. The guy from our class who has a Super Bowl ring had the nerve to think summer training was more important! The cliques were pretty much gone and almost everyone chatted. There were a few people who just sat at their table, but I recognized them as people who had been quiet "loners" in school. One guy who was also a theatre geek was living in NYC and did voice-overs for late night TV ads. Another person who had been a real jerk to everyone was also living in our hometown and work as a stocker at Kroger. (Thank you, karma). Our prom king and queen were married and had a kid.

Over all it was fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
I just went to my 25-year this past summer. We had a small class to begin with -- and the two high schools in our school district combined into one just a few years after I was graduated -- but a shockingly low number attended. Out of 233 graduates, ten people were at the reunion. TEN. :: facepalm :: I felt badly for the organizers who had clearly busted their tails to pull it all together. There was about 3 times that at the meet-and-greet in the pub the night before. We assumed the low turnout at the actual reunion was because* of the big-ticket, pricey admission: $20. (Hey, they've gotta pay for the food! We didn't even have booze!) Or it was because the reunion was held at the high school (which was a new building that none of us had ever attended and felt no connection to), so there was no booze.

Interesting dynamic though. There weren't enough people there to fall into the old cliques. We were practically forced to mingle. I ended up making new friends with the people there whom I didn't know at all when we were in school. They were on the vocational track and I was on the college track and we never had classes together. So I got to know several people that I hadn't really met before, even though I had technically known them for 25 years. Only one of my clique was there and everyone else was someone I didn't know all that well. My clique friend and I split up and conquered the room and she reported the same thing: It might have been more fun because we didn't really know everyone there. There weren't preconceived notions about who the people were because I didn't know most of 'em from Adam. Once they told me their names, I'd sort of vaguely recall hearing it before, or had spotted them in the yearbook, but otherwise they were for the most part total strangers to me.

And now they're my friends!

* Another theory: Our hometown is clearly dying and looked like a war had been fought there but no budget for reconstruction (not at all unlike Flint, MI). It's a midwestern, rust-belt town and the last major factory closed its doors a few years ago, so there really aren't many good jobs there, especially if you're college-educated. My guess is 95% of the class lives at least an hour away in a major city (where there are jobs) and I'd bet at least 60% of us don't even live in the state anymore. Half of the attendees at the reunion came in from out of state -- and three of us are living in Florida.

The most amusing thing to me:
There was this girl in my class who was in National Honor Society and all the college prep classes. She got pregnant our senior year -- and actually missed our prom because she was giving birth at the time. Anyway, there was a ton of controversy: Not only did the school administrators not want to let her graduate, but they didn't even want her to participate in the National Honor Society induction.

The NHS advisor sat me and a few other NHS members down and explained to us that the admins thought our classmate was setting a terrible example and how would we feel if she was not included in the induction ceremony? We all looked at each other, outraged. It was just pure dumb luck that she'd gotten pregnant -- it could have been any one of us. I was pissed. I didn't see what her pregnancy had to do with the academic achievement of NHS. So I threw it down. I told the adviser if our classmate was left out of the induction ceremony, that I wouldn't be attending AND I'd turn in my membership in protest and the admins could go suck it. Most of the other NHS members there joined me in solidarity and we basically said "Include her or we ain't marchin' and you won't even have a NHS." She was included and I made a point to be the one to go pull her out of the audience to bring her up on stage for her induction. She had no idea all this went down. I saw her at the reunion (her kid has already graduated from college!) and told her the story. I think she was pleased that a classmate basically went to bat for her, for no reason. I had no vested interest if she got into NHS or not, but I guess I empathized and thought it was bullshit. She did all the same hard work we did to get in and she earned the grades and deserved the induction. I wasn't having any part of excluding her because of some moral judgment. She told me that they weren't going to let her graduate, but it became a moot point because on graduation day, she had a 5-day old infant and wasn't up for marching for the stupid diploma.

The irony of all that now: Our new high school actually has on-site daycare now. For the NHS members (and all other students) who have babies. We all had a good laugh over that one. "Times have changed," she said. They sure have.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM
It (20th) was strange-just about the only people who showed were the jock and cheerleader types-the nerds and brains were all MIA. I kind of existed in between both worlds, not quite part of either (since I was a jock of sorts who also had a brain), but after the picnic on the first day I didn't bother making the dinner the following night since I shared absolutely nothing in common with these people. Frankly I got along better with the people in the next class above me.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Charter Member
Iíve been to most of mine. As a nerd and not a jock, most of my closer acquaintances were other nerds. Since I went to school in a small town, most of us had gone thru school with the same class since 5th grade, and many of us since first grade. So we all knew each other for a long time. While none of them have been spectacular, each time has been enjoyable.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I went to my 10th and 20th and enjoyed them both. I wasn't a member of the "in" crowd, but I had my friends and some of them showed up both times. I was glad to see them.

I would have gone to my 30th but the timing was bad.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I haven't been to any of them and I missed my graduation too.

I had enough credits to graduate in January so I hadn't been to the school in months and when they were getting diplomas I was sobbing into my pillow at basic training. Hey, it was the first weekend, I was lonely and so so scared. I was the first member of my grandmothers family to move more than 15 kms away from her house and I went for broke with 1800kms.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I went to my 10th and it was really great! Everyone got along and was very happy to see each other. No real split along any sort of jock/nerd lines. They had it at a local bar/restaurant.

Our class was like 255 and I'd say 50+ showed up. Can't wait for the 20th!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
here's what I discovered:
10th year reunion = Fun.
Interesting, to see people who you remember-- some fairly well, others only vaguely.
Conversations are personal, but superficial. After the 50th "how are you, are you married, where do you work, oh, that's nice"--- it gets tedious; but it's interesting to see how people turned out, some people surprise you by how much they have changed, and you see a couple of familiar faces with whom you actually have something interesting to share. Of the people who show up, almost all are the "successful" types, but there are one or two of the burned-out dropouts --still wearing sandals and working (barely)as bartenders or musicians.

20th year reunion =Less Fun.
Only the "successful" types are in attendance. Conversations are even more superficial. Many people wearing suits, and want to discuss the stock market, or their business ventures.

30th year reunion.
I say to myself "why bother?". But I read the invitation carefully before tossing it into the trash can.

Last edited by chappachula; 08-20-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I went to my 10th. I felt the cliques had dissolved and truly enjoyed the event, but some of my old friends felt the social pecking order was as bad as ever. On the other hand, they went in feeling reserved and ready to be disappointed. They clustered together waiting to be greeted by the popular kids, certain that they wouldn't. They didn't look like a very welcoming bunch and if we hadn't been close in high school I wouldn't have approached them either. I definitely think it helps to meet half-way.

The absolute best part of my 10th grade reunion is that one of the nerdiest, most awkward, least attractive kids from my class had really grown into his looks. Lost the braces, outgrew the acne, ditched the glasses, improved his posture & found a haircut that managed his wire-brush hair. He had been a real strange duck in high school, the kind of quiet, nerdy kid you'd have totally ignored and never noticed if he wasn't so disastrously easy for the popular kids to make fun of. He had gotten an engineering degree, had a great job, and married a very sweet, attractive, outgoing woman. His story was like a cliche from a movie, and it was just so great to see, and most people seemed really tickled by his success. Seeing his transformation would have been worth the trip all by itself.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM
I got an invitation to my 10th, looked at it for about a minute, and chucked it into the trash.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Charter Member
My class had a 5th () a 10th, and a 20th, at which I met a girl I'd known since 7th grade and was swept off my feet. She was a widow with 2 young boys and I thought "this will be perfect!".

We married a year later, organized our class's 25 year reunion then got divorced. Oh well.

I went to our 30th and had a great time. She didn't show.

Funny thing, her identical twin sister is still one of my best friends. Her kids (in college now) still call me "Uncle Brian".

I love reunions.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 AM
I hadn't thought about it until reading this thread, but my 20th would be this year. I haven't heard anything about a reunion, but it might be because of what happened just prior to our 10th.

I left town to go to university straight out of high school, then left the country to attend graduate school. By the time our 10th reunion rolled around, I'd already moved to yet another country for work, and had even moved cities within this country several times. The single person from my graduating class with whom I was still in touch (this being pre-Facebook) told me that the organizing committee wanted to invite me to the reunion, but couldn't track down my current contact details. Being a bit of a practical joker and knowing that high school wasn't a terribly enjoyable part of my life, he claimed no knowledge of my whereabouts.

Finally, one of the girls hit on the idea of ringing up my parents, since they still live at the same address I had during high school. My father, who is also a practical joker and knows how much I hated high school, responded thusly: "Mengvs? Oh, Mengvs. I haven't seen her in ages. She went out for milk one day and just never came back. This is going back oh, about ten years now. ...Hello?"
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Around me the night before thanksgiving is when people go to the local bar and meet up informally. Not when you schedule events.
Fiestas rather than Thanksgiving, but same here. Miss Popular tried to get a 10-year reunion organized but gave up after getting "sorry no" from the people who were still in town (many of those of us who weren't hadn't even received the letter).
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Charter Member
Wouldn't go if you paid me.

Just erased a Pit-worthy post. Nope. Wouldn't go if you paid me.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Charter Member
My family moved around throughout my High School years, and I never "belonged" anywhere.

I've never gone to any reunions.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:38 PM
High school reunions aren't a big deal this side of the pond (well not that I've noticed) the closest I got to one was when it was the school's something-or-other anniversary, and it being a Catholic school they were having a big Mass with some Bishop or Monsignor and tea and cake after. I was planning on arriving late, and missing all the religious hoo-hah. But on the evening in question I suddenly felt extremely ill. Nothing specific just ill

So I didn't go.

Must've been god striking me down, or something.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Went to my 20th, 25th and 45th. I'll have to go to the next one, it's the big 5-0.

Egads, I suddenly feel old....
Old 08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I went to my 20 year reunion. Mostly hung out with my best friend and his friend, but it was neat to see how people had changed. Some a huge amount, some not as much. Talked to a few, everyone behaved themselves and a good time was had.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:16 PM
BANNED
The HS class I walked with is planning their 15th, and I plan to attend, accessibility permitting.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I went to my 10th last year and it was a good time. People were still kind of cliquish, but I saw a few old friends (that I no longer have anything in common with.) Most of the other success stories were off in some other state and did not appear. My husband and I spent most of the evening talking to the girl everybody was horrible to, as well as her long-term boyfriend... and they turned out to be really smart, interesting people, and she looked great, and she really seemed like she did not give a shit what people thought about her. I also made up with my former best friend that I lost to a falling out in 10th grade, so it was a pretty good experience overall.

ETA: Most of my close friends in high school weren't in my grade, but the grade before. I really would have rather attended that reunion.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 09-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
BANNED
The venue does have an elevator, so I will attend.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Charter Member
Have not gone to any, will not be going to any. High school was hell, and I have no desire to re-live any part of it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
Have not gone to any, will not be going to any. High school was hell, and I have no desire to re-live any part of it.
That, too....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:38 PM
My 10-year was somewhat sparsely attended. Maybe 50-60 people out of 315 or so. The most amusing part was seeing a guy who we all assumed was going to come out of the closet in college (in high school, he was in theater and used to do a hilarious duet of "My Little Buttercup" with another guy). He showed up with a ridiculously hot blonde wife in a slinky, shiny red dress. We were astounded.