Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM
What can I do with 120 MB of data?

I want to take my iPad to London with me, and the hotel does not offer free wireless. I can buy 120 MB for $30 from AT&T, but what will that get me? I found a data calculator online, and it seems like I can do about 25 text-only emails, but that doesn't seem like enough for me to bother getting it.

I want to check on my hometown news, upload a couple pictures, and send emails to friends. I won't watch movies or listen to music. Is 120 MB enough? I'm hoping I'm reading the data calculator incorrectly, and can do more than 25 emails with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Do they have pay wifi? If so, you might want to suck it up and get that.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pai325 View Post
I can buy 120 MB for $30 from AT&T, but what will that get me? I found a data calculator online, and it seems like I can do about 25 text-only emails, but that doesn't seem like enough for me to bother getting it.
120MB is enough for literally thousands of text-only emails. As long as they don't have embedded images or attachments, emails are generally only a few kilobytes each.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM
25 text only emails is 120 MB?

I don't think that's right.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I just looked in my own email account for a long, text-only email.

I found one that contained just under 700 words, and it is 13.6 kilobytes. At that rate, you'd get almost 10,000 emails in 120MB.

If you're logging into your email through a web interface and not an email client, you have to remember that you will use a bit of extra bandwidth every time you load a new page of the web interface (inbox, new message, trash, etc.).
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
Yeah, I'd say that 30k for a largish text-only email is a reasonable guess, so 120 megs gets you 4000 of them.

Browsing news could be several hundred k per news story, depending on how much crap your news site has on it. For pictures - are you going to upload them as huge megapixel pictures, or shrink them on your laptop before you upload?
Join today!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Charter Member
120 MB should be plenty for your stated usage. I use about that much data over the air per month on my wireless plan, and I read dozens of emails and/or web pages per day, plus over the course of the month I probably download 5-10 big PDF files, stream 2 to 5 videos, and use Google maps with abandon.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM
A text-only e-mail should be less than 1 KB, meaning you could send tens of thousands.

Loading a web page with images can easily measure in the 100s of KBs per page, though cached images should keep this a little more reasonable. So you might be looking at hundreds or low thousands of web page views.

Image uploads can have a highly variable size, but a couple of MB each isn't so unusual. You could count on at least dozens of pictures of that size.

I once used a 3G connection to watch a movie on NetFlix. We used almost 180 MB in 1.5 hours.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
It's worth noting, too, that if you're prepared to be a bit patient about when you do your email etc., there are plenty of places in London where you can get free wireless.

The West End, including popular tourist areas like Regent Street, Oxford Street, and Trafalgar Square, are covered by a new free wireless service operated by the O2 network and Westminster City Council.

The Apple store also has an app that will help you find restaurants, cafes, etc. with free wireless in London.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalPi View Post
Do they have pay wifi? If so, you might want to suck it up and get that.
I am thinking I may end up doing that. The price is not on their web site, so I've emailed.

I have no problems shrinking my pictures on my laptop, but I don't know how to do that on the iPad so I'm afraid they'll be big. When I get back to my hotel I do like to get online to relax, so I will have to be careful, thank you all for letting me know I am using the data calculator incorrectly. That's a relief. I have the first iPad, so my data plan with AT&T is unlimited. I have no idea how much I'm using which is why I'm clueless with this.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member
Sorry for forgetting the ipad bit.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
If you access your email via a web interface, odds are the company logo on the website uses more kilobytes than all the emails you can type. The add banner will have 10 times more bytes than the emails you'll send and receive.

If you open an email, and it has picture attachments, you may find that you have used a huge allotment of your 120MB. if you have email client set up on iPad, you may download those big attachments even if you never open them.

A typical web picture might be between 100KB and 500KB or half a megabyte. I browse occasionally on my iPhone and have trouble egtting to 50MB / month.

However, graphics and web sites on an iPad? You could hit your limit in a few dozen pages.

The real question is - what happens if you go over? Do you then get dinged another $30 or do they switch to the "super-highway-robbery" higher rate, or does it stop working? My guess is whatever gets the phone company most money.

The other poster had the best idea - suck it up and pay for internet. usually that's $10 to $25 for an expensive hotel. Maybe buy internet every other day or less. If the problem is, no wifi- take a small wifi router with you, preprogrammed for DHCP as the WAN side of the router and a password-protected wireless. I used an Apple Airport. It works with 220V, all you need is a USA-to-British plug adaptor, which you need anyway for the iPad charger.

not sure if there are public Wifi spots in the UK while you're out and about, but someone can tell us (I see they ahve).

Last edited by md2000; 08-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
If the problem is, no wifi- take a small wifi router with you, preprogrammed for DHCP as the WAN side of the router and a password-protected wireless. I used an Apple Airport. It works with 220V, all you need is a USA-to-British plug adaptor, which you need anyway for the iPad charger.

not sure if there are public Wifi spots in the UK while you're out and about, but someone can tell us (I see they ahve).
Thanks, everyone. The more I think about it, the more I think I will pay at the hotel. I already have an Airport, and my daughter is meeting me at the hotel so this way she can get online, too.

Another worry is just dealing with AT&T and canceling the international service next month. I can see a problem if it doesn't get cancelled and I have to keep paying while I argue, or having them cancel everything including my unlimited data iPad package.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I thought that 640k ought to be enough for anybody.

Last edited by robert_columbia; 08-20-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
I've used disposable "1 GB over 1 month" data SIMs before, and I've found that with light to moderate use (i.e. daily web browsing, email etc., but very little data-heavy stuff like YouTube or streaming audio) it would easily last the whole month.
$30 for just 120MB sounds a little pricy, but I guess it's still only $30.

Last edited by Ximenean; 08-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximenean View Post
I've used disposable "1 GB over 1 month" data SIMs before, and I've found that with light to moderate use (i.e. daily web browsing, email etc., but very little data-heavy stuff like YouTube or streaming audio) it would easily last the whole month.
$30 for just 120MB sounds a little pricy, but I guess it's still only $30.
Can I put that in my iPad? Do they sell them at drug stores over there?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Can I put that in my iPad? Do they sell them at drug stores over there?
Sorry, I don't know. I get them on eBay UK. iPad-sized ones are available, but I'm not sure about issues such as your iPad being locked to a particular network.
I was mainly just trying to illustrate how long I'd expect to get out of that amount of data, based on my experience.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I want to take my iPad to London with me, and the hotel does not offer free wireless. I can buy 120 MB for $30 from AT&T, but what will that get me? I found a data calculator online, and it seems like I can do about 25 text-only emails, but that doesn't seem like enough for me to bother getting it.

I want to check on my hometown news, upload a couple pictures, and send emails to friends. I won't watch movies or listen to music. Is 120 MB enough? I'm hoping I'm reading the data calculator incorrectly, and can do more than 25 emails with it.
A text-only email is about 6 Kilobytes. You probably got mixed up and thought it meant Megabytes. 1 Megabyte is 1000 Kilobytes, roughly, so your usage shouldn't be a problem.

I would be careful about the pics, though. Don't upload too many on the cell network, just find a free wireless network, or pay to use a coffee shop or hotel's network. Or, just be patient and wait until you get home.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
There's free WiFi everywhere. Most coffee shops, many pubs, loads of public spaces, etc. You might find that the hotel room is within range of someone else's nearby free WiFi service.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by al27052 View Post
A text-only email is about 6 Kilobytes. You probably got mixed up and thought it meant Megabytes. 1 Megabyte is 1000 Kilobytes, roughly, so your usage shouldn't be a problem. Or, just be patient and wait until you get home.
What is this patience you speak of?

You're right, though. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM
I did London in June with no data and no hotel WIFI and it wasn't terrible. In retrospect, I should have gotten a pay-as-you-go data SIM card to put in my unlocked Android phone, and then shared the connection with my travel mates. There are mobile shops all over that sell SIM cards. I have no idea if they'll work in your ipad. As I said, we just went with the free WIFI as we could find it.

There was lots of free wifi, but most of it required entering an email address, so prepare a throw away account or some such. Actually though, I've not gotten any spam from any of the free providers I had to register to use. The best, most reliable service I could get was the free wifi being installed in some of the tube stations. The biggest issue, and the reason for saying I would have gotten a data SIM card, was there was no free wifi available from where I was staying. It was fine to be able to check websites and stuff while out and about, but email back in the hotel was inconvenient. The hotel owned pub would give out an hour of wifi with a pint...

I did rely a lot on the Tripadvisor app with offline information for London. That allowed travel and eating planning when no reliable connection was available.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Quote:
my data plan with AT&T is unlimited. I have no idea how much I'm using which is why I'm clueless with this.
Even if they allow unlimited use for a flat price, your bill will still show how much you're using. Go look at several recent bills and I hope you'll get some sense of how much you've been using.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
If you access your email via a web interface, odds are the company logo on the website uses more kilobytes than all the emails you can type. The add banner will have 10 times more bytes than the emails you'll send and receive.

If you open an email, and it has picture attachments, you may find that you have used a huge allotment of your 120MB.
I am very curious why only one lone poster mentioned this. It was the first thing I thought of.

I honestly don't know the numbers of bytes in those picture advertisements, but if you think that the actual text of the email is the only thing you'll get charged for, then you're in for a shock.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
I am very curious why only one lone poster mentioned this. It was the first thing I thought of.

I honestly don't know the numbers of bytes in those picture advertisements, but if you think that the actual text of the email is the only thing you'll get charged for, then you're in for a shock.
Until I saw that post, I'd never thought of that. The email I use most is web-based, and there is always extraneous stuff floating around.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Oh, calm the fuck down. I mentioned it also, noting that if the OP accesses his email via a web-based interface, that this will involved further bandwidth overhead.

Anyway, it's been mentioned. I'm not sure what you accomplish by your dramatic, large-font exclamation on the subject.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Even funnier, when I was on vacation I uploaded my pictures for the day into my newiPad. We left everything plugged in and charging while we slept. I got up in the morning to find the message "you have used your quota of iCloud storage".

Yikes!! When I bought the new iPad, and a new iPhone, I signed up for iCloud as a means to back up the iPhone details (contacts, etc.). I may have signed up with the iPad too. I suppose I left the "sync with iCloud" on. Over the night, it automatically uploaded 5GB of data.

Made me glad that the hotel did not meter internet; that Apple thoughtfully did not do this (i'm told) over the 3G network; and that I did not have a 3G iPad. at $30 for 120MB, that's about $1250 for 5GB.

Oh, and I also noticed that the network SIM card I got for my old iPhone 3 - I cleverly forgot to turn off data. (I turned off data ROAMING, but the SIm card was local). It used a few dollars of data before I happened to pull the wrong way on the unlock screen and got that notification bar with scrolling stock prices. Huh? Good old Apple, I got that be default... Then I got Arabic warnings about something that the hotel clerk thought was saying I had to recharge my SIM card with more money.

How many times has an app asked you if it can use locatoin data? Do you know what those apps do under the hood?

So my biggest concern with by-the-byte charges is that you have no idea what the iWhatever is sending or not sending. Something tells you you have updates to your apps, the weather, etc. That requires SOME bytes. If you are the type that downloads every stupid app offered, you may have a chatty one that you do not even know about...

My wife's iPhone, and a co-worker's, have both had very weird bills where one day they used about 2/3 of their montly data allotment. Billing error or runaway app?

Last edited by md2000; 08-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:

Since accessing e-mail through a web page is in fact accessing a web page, I kind of thought my response covered all the bases. I guess I needed a larger font
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
Since accessing e-mail through a web page is in fact accessing a web page, I kind of thought my response covered all the bases. I guess I needed a larger font
Your actual post was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
A text-only e-mail should be less than 1 KB, meaning you could send tens of thousands.

Loading a web page with images can easily measure in the 100s of KBs per page, though cached images should keep this a little more reasonable. ...
Yes, you did "cover all the bases," but with all due respect, it is my opinion that your information is a bit contradictory and could be misleading. Almost no one nowadays ever gets or sends a text-only email of less than 1 KB, because the great majority of us use web pages which are cluttered with pictures and ads. The logo of the email provider will be a cached image to save usage, but the ads are always changing. (I imagine dedicated non-browser email readers - such as Outlook - to be the main exception.)

That's why I counted you among the four posters (mhendo in posts #3 and #5, chrisk in #6, dracoi in #8, al27052 in #18) who described the typical email as using extremely small amounts of one's quota. And I felt a need to balance that, and that's why I used the large font.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
As a side of derail, is it common in the UK and/or Europe (or maybe just London) to not have free wifi in the hotels? In the US, most hotels have free wifi, and generally only the more expensive hotels make you pay. It seems backwards, but the idea is that if someone is already paying $300+ a night for a room, they aren't going to quibble over an extra $10-$30 a day for wifi.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouv View Post
As a side of derail, is it common in the UK and/or Europe (or maybe just London) to not have free wifi in the hotels? In the US, most hotels have free wifi, and generally only the more expensive hotels make you pay. It seems backwards, but the idea is that if someone is already paying $300+ a night for a room, they aren't going to quibble over an extra $10-$30 a day for wifi.
Some have free WiFi, some charge, some let you have half an hour free, then charge.

Coffee shops and town centre pubs are usually a better bet, as they want you to sit there all day, buying drinks.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Generally, I find the top end hotels love to charge you for Wifi - $15 a night or something; plus for local phone calls and $4 a chocolate bar and $5 a can of Coke. It's just free money for them, and those paying $200/night (what, $500/night in London?) don't care or are on expense account.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Almost no one nowadays ever gets or sends a text-only email of less than 1 KB, because the great majority of us use web pages which are cluttered with pictures and ads. The logo of the email provider will be a cached image to save usage, but the ads are always changing. (I imagine dedicated non-browser email readers - such as Outlook - to be the main exception.)

That's why I counted you among the four posters (mhendo in posts #3 and #5, chrisk in #6, dracoi in #8, al27052 in #18) who described the typical email as using extremely small amounts of one's quota. And I felt a need to balance that, and that's why I used the large font.
But do most people on their phones use the web mail interface? Maybe I'm very unusual, but I'd imagine a lot of people use the mail apps on their phone to access the mail. I've almost never seen an iPhone user not use the mail app unless they were trying to get to mail too old to be on the phone.

Also, I don't think the EXTREMELY large font was really necessary. You could have made your point in half the size.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
But do most people on their phones use the web mail interface? Maybe I'm very unusual, but I'd imagine a lot of people use the mail apps on their phone to access the mail. I've almost never seen an iPhone user not use the mail app unless they were trying to get to mail too old to be on the phone.

Also, I don't think the EXTREMELY large font was really necessary. You could have made your point in half the size.
Even GMail has an app that avoids the bandwidth overhead of the web-based interface. I imagine that most of the other web-mail providers do as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewesque View Post
I encounter this frequently enough. My guess is that it's just another permutation of the people afraid of computers and afraid of change. They're used to the webmail interface on their PC, so that's what they use on their phone. This isn't shoulder surfing that I notice it, but when dealing with coworkers. I offer to setup work email for them in the phone's native app, and many will refuse, saying that the web interface is good enough.

So far this month (21 days in) my phone's email app has used 35MB of data total. I'd say it's been a light month though, as I've not spent any significant time without easy access to a PC, nor have I sent pictures or attachments from my phone. 130MB would be enough to do text email from a native ipad app, if downloading of pictures and attachments was turned off. I think for $30 though, the OP can find a solution which allows full Internet access.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Everytime I go abroad, I map out where the nearest McDonald's or Starbucks are, and use them to get my fill of free wi-fi. If the hotel offers it, even for a pay service, I'm inclined to just dole out the $10 a day. Or go to the lobby where it's usually free and unsecured.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoreply View Post
I encounter this frequently enough. My guess is that it's just another permutation of the people afraid of computers and afraid of change. They're used to the webmail interface on their PC, so that's what they use on their phone. This isn't shoulder surfing that I notice it, but when dealing with coworkers. I offer to setup work email for them in the phone's native app, and many will refuse, saying that the web interface is good enough.

So far this month (21 days in) my phone's email app has used 35MB of data total. I'd say it's been a light month though, as I've not spent any significant time without easy access to a PC, nor have I sent pictures or attachments from my phone. 130MB would be enough to do text email from a native ipad app, if downloading of pictures and attachments was turned off. I think for $30 though, the OP can find a solution which allows full Internet access.
Who wants to deal with the web interface on a phone or even iPad? The built-in email app on the iPad/iPhone/etc. is much easier to use for quick reading and replies.

I suppose you are speaking from experience, though. I've just never thought of anyone doing this.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 PM
I use the mail interface on the iPad, so I dont go to yahoo or hotmail, but when I checked my email earlier, I realized how many emails themselves were graphic heavy. I should unsubscribe from a lot, but most department stores have a lot of images, groupon has some, the cat pictures my aunt sends can be pretty large, so even without the yahoo banners and such I've gotta lot coming in.

The hotel charges 15 a night for it, so for $25 or so I will have it. It's annoying but it's better than gng over. Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM
BANNED
Quote:

The hotel charges 15 a night for it, so for $25 or so I will have it. .
Seriously? You don't want to just be patient and use free wifi?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by al27052 View Post
Seriously? You don't want to just be patient and use free wifi?
Oh, I will do that, too, but probably one night I will get the hotel Internet.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a relevant discussion on another site with good info Sim Card for 4G iPad in London. Essentially you can find 15 for a month with 1G.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 AM
I got a joke email the other day "The book 'Understanding Women" is finally out!" it's a photo of a guy perusing what looks like a 3-foot thick bound book. Stupid picture. It's 238KB, a quarter of a megabyte.

If someone sends you one raw photo from their moderm, 10Mp camera, that could be 4 MB. Powerpoint presentations from work could push 10MB.

Even the mail client apps for smartphones iPad will eventually download the attachments if you open them.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:55 AM
To minimize data loading in Mail, go to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars -> Load Remote Images set to OFF. That should block image attachments from automatically downloading. There will be a placeholder box in the email that you can tap on to load manually if you wish.

Unfortunately, there is no iPhone setting for blocking attachments over a certain size. Depending on your email provider, you might have server-side settings to do it though.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Charter Member
Just look at what Paul Revere did with only two bits.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
My email signature is the complete text of Atlas Shrugged, so 25 emails for 120 MB sounds about right.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't know if Verizon in Europe is the same as the US but their Mifi cards seem extremely reasonable to me. I send emails when I'm out of the office (out in the country so no wifi), and the plan I have is 10 gigs for $80 a month or 5 gigs for $50.($50 for the device ) I got rid of my home internet and use this all the time. You can't watch netflix with it but a fair amount of youtube videos and you can stay looking at text pages like the Dope for days.
Pai325
I guess what I'm saying is if Pai325 has a card plan like mine in the US and plans on continued use after the trip, could he/she take one to Europe and use it without crazy roaming charges?

Beats asking every coffee shop for their password or constant advertisements before you can use free wifi...
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
If someone sends you one raw photo from their moderm, 10Mp camera, that could be 4 MB.
A raw file will be much bigger. At least 8MB, more like 10-20MB usually. 4MB is a reasonable high-quality JPEG for a 10MP camera.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I just had a look in one of my folders, and RAW (NEF) files from a Nikon D90 (a 12 Mp camera) are about 9.0-11.5 MB, depending on the amount of detail in the image.