Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 AM
Charter Member
How soon does Dulcolax work? Requesting TMI pre-colonoscopy.

I have to prep for a colonoscopy, including a liquid diet the day before. At noon I'm supposed to take four Dulcolax tablets, 5 mg. I happen to be scheduled to run a business meeting from 2:00 to 4:00 and then drive an hour to get home. Is that going to be a disaster? Or do they work slowly enough to not be a problem?
Advertisements
Old 08-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Charter Member
You don't want to me any more than a few feet from a toilet at any time after taking the Dulcolax.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM
I agree. Reschedule the meeting or the colonoscopy. Also splurge on the really soft toilet tissue.

ETA: You could check with your practitioner and see if there is an alternative method for the clean-out that would not interfere with your work schedule.

Last edited by Sudden Kestrel; 08-27-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: afterthought
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Charter Member
Yep. You can't do both. Ideally you should be at home.

But honestly, as long as you start the clear liquid diet, you might be able to get away with starting the duco @ 5PM. Call your MD and ask.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
... Also splurge on the really soft toilet tissue.
I saw what you did there.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
Charter Member
Well, allrighty then. Thank you for hypothetically preventing a very unfortunate turn of events indeed.

While we are on the subject, I look forward to picking up any other advance wisdom people are inclined to share!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Charter Member
baby wipes. Nice soft moist baby wipes.

I have a friend who decided to take his laptop into the bathroom and didn't bother getting up from the toilet once it started.

We mined half a belt in Nein that evening ...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 PM
I don't know what your gastroenterologist says you can drink the day before, but mine said it was okay to have liquid Ensure, which is not a clear liquid. It made the starving the day before completely tolerable. I'm the type who gets headachey and faint if I'm fasting, so this was a lifesaver.

And I saw the live footage of my procedure - there was absolutely nothing in there, so the Ensure didn't cloud the issue at all.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Recent thread here.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgato View Post
. . . which in turn contains a link to an earlier thread (at post #4)

. . . which in turn contains a link to an earlier thread (at post #8)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
. . . which in turn contains a link to an earlier thread (at post #4)

. . . which in turn contains a link to an earlier thread (at post #8)
It's assholes all the way down...
Old 08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Yep. You can't do both. Ideally you should be at home.
Also, allow time after the procedure (12-24 hours, at least) for your intestines to get back into normal working order.

So don't try to go in to work later the same day. Can you work from home the next morning? And don't schedule any lengthy meetings for your first day back at work. You may still need to get to a toilet suddenly.

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-28-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Also, allow time after the procedure (12-24 hours, at least) for your intestines to get back into normal working order.

So don't try to go in to work later the same day. Can you work from home the next morning? And don't schedule any lengthy meetings for your first day back at work. You may still need to get to a toilet suddenly.
More importantly, your brain might not be working quite right for the 24 hours or so after the procedure. We warn people not to create any new passwords or work on important memory tasks for the day following the procedure. The Versed they commonly give to make you not care that someone is ramming a garden hose up your rear is an amnesiac - it makes you not remember that someone is ramming a garden hose up your rear. Unfortunately, the effects can linger, even when you think you're thinking and remembering things just fine, and later on you go to use your new email account and...the password is just nowhere in your brain. It just wasn't stored there.

So try to find things to do at work that don't require a lot of thought or retaining much. Perhaps the CEO would let you do his job for a day.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
Charter Member
Also, take a course of probiotics afterwards too.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM
BANNED
No one seems to have told you how it works yet, so FYI what it does depends on the type of Dulcolax. The main kink, and what you've been given from the sound of it, is basically a stimulant for the nerve endings in your large intestine and colon which causes the muscles to work harder/contract more.

What I find more interesting is the stool softener version. It basically works as an emulsifier, mixing all the fatty stuff (presumed to be) in your intestines with the hard stuff, and basically making your shit easier for your body to pass through (think warm butter instead of cool cheese). It's my innner nerd coming out but these "mechanical" solutions to body problems fascinate me.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Charter Member
This may be OBE by now but when I had a similar regimen... I was on a liquid diet starting on a Saturday. I was to take 2 Dulcolax at 6 PM (it was more like 9 PM; we were travelling that day). The effect manifested the next afternoon (a couple of hours before I was slated to drink the Drano).

As others have noted, you shouldn't do anything requiring any judgement for the 24 hours after the procedure. When you come out from the sedation, you may feel relatively alert, but I've found that an hour or so after that, my body says "yeah, just kidding, nap time in 3... 2... 1.... lights out!".

The last 2 times (yeah, I've had 3, and am looking forward to having them a couple times a year for basically the rest of my life), I had the unpleasant effect of a rerun of the cleanout effect, just after I got home and ate something. I assume this was because of the body's tendency to make the bowels wake up after a meal. Unfortunately in those circumstances, it was rather a LOT more urgent than usual and, well, mess ensued.

Last edited by Mama Zappa; 08-28-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
FYI - another poster mentioned Versed, but I've always been given "Milk of Amnesia" (Propofol). Which works just fine - it's mildly entertaining watching the room start to spin... for about a half second, then it's Lights Out! Only problem with the stuff is it burns like a motherfuck when they first inject it. Nowadays they've taken to giving a brief dose of lidocaine or something into the IV first - but as with every other medical procedure I've had involving local anesthesia, they're in too much of a damn hurry to let the numbing take effect.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I don't know what your gastroenterologist says you can drink the day before, but mine said it was okay to have liquid Ensure, which is not a clear liquid. It made the starving the day before completely tolerable. I'm the type who gets headachey and faint if I'm fasting, so this was a lifesaver.

And I saw the live footage of my procedure - there was absolutely nothing in there, so the Ensure didn't cloud the issue at all.
The prep I followed actually allowed a strictly defined breakfast the day before......a can of ensure, half a piece of dry toast and an unbuttered egg. It helped make the ordeal easier.

And I saw my procedure as it was happening..........I think I started staring at the monitor before the drugs completely kicked in, but I actually never went fully to sleep or lost awareness, I had no sense of time but I remember watching, I remembering noticing the change in the picture as the camera went from the large intestine to the small...........the large pink tunnel turned into a small grey one....and I remember the doctor taking another "pass" or two around the suspicious area ( I had the procedure because my doctor thought (imagined ) that she felt something during a routine physical).

Except for the prep it was pretty cool, except I was incredibly thirsty and wanted lots of water after, but all they would give me in the recovery room were these little cups of apple juice................I guzzled several of them and my insurance company was billed like ten bucks each for them.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 08-28-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
. . . Except for the prep it was pretty cool, except I was incredibly thirsty and wanted lots of water after, but all they would give me in the recovery room were these little cups of apple juice................I guzzled several of them and my insurance company was billed like ten bucks each for them.
Luxury! Nobody offered me anything to drink afterwards. And at $10 a drink, I'm glad they didn't.

I had my husband bring me a quadruple espresso to quaff while they gave him the discharge data. I had not had any caffeine the morning of the procedure, and my head was ready to explode from withdrawal. Then we went out to Vietnamese pho right afterwards.

Last edited by teela brown; 08-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Charter Member
Thanks for all the great advice. I went to the grocery store and bought various clear liquid foodstuffs, and a big box of baby wipes. Plus, we have a lot of cats, and I never miss the opportunity to buy out the store's stock of unscented kitty litter in ten pound bags. It dawned on me while in the checkout line that my cart contents might arouse suspicion, but by that time I had enough of worrying about it and determined to let them wonder.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I went to the grocery store and bought various clear liquid foodstuffs, and a big box of baby wipes. Plus, we have a lot of cats, and I never miss the opportunity to buy out the store's stock of unscented kitty litter in ten pound bags. It dawned on me while in the checkout line that my cart contents might arouse suspicion, but by that time I had enough of worrying about it and determined to let them wonder.
Good luck.

You should have added a few random items just to confuse the clerks more..like an eye dropper and a jug of vegetable oil. And then make a show of checking everything off a list.

-D/a
Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Quote:
If they didn't bat an eye at my cart with nothing but razor blades and apples on Halloween day...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Quote:
It dawned on me while in the checkout line that my cart contents might arouse suspicion, but by that time I had enough of worrying about it and determined to let them wonder.
Actually, grocery checkout is a mind-deadening, soul-killingly boring job. Checkout clerks soon learn to do it (and appear friendly to customers) while their attention is elsewhere. They hardly notice what is in your cart, much less speculate about what you will do with your purchases.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:54 PM
If you want to amuse your inner ten year old; after the procedure is over and you can eat again, have a banana and a peeled apple or other white food. For your next meal, have a big spinach salad. Then have beets for dinner. You can watch your poop go from pale to greenish to purple. It's fun!
Old 03-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh dear!

IMO, Ducolax was very very disappointing. It is supposedly a stool softener. Unfortunately, at the time I took Ducolax, I really did not understand the diff between Ducolax and Bisocadyl.

Even worse, I did not understand the diff between a stool softener and the kind of medication that flushes out one's digestive tract.

I would advise anyone who is about to undergo a colonoscopy to read about the kind of medications that softens your stools and that flushes out your digestive tract - specifically Bisocadyl.

Bisocadyl is a very tiny orange tablet and it is incredibly powerful. It flushes out the digestive tract (specifically the large intestine) and it works amazingly well.

The best approach is to use Bisocadyl for a 2 or 3 days before the procedure and then to use the digestive tract flushing meds for a day or two before the procedure. That worked out just super for me.

There are very few kinds of medical procedures where I would recommend people really read and try to understand the nature of the medication that they should take before they go through the procedure. But, when it comes to colonoscopies, I truly believe that it is in your best interest to learn and study the medications used and to learn as much as you can about them.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 03-25-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Consider, Charlie Wayne, that the OP's colonoscopy was 18 months ago. We're talking about zombie stools, at this point.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
IMO, Ducolax was very very disappointing. It is supposedly a stool softener. Unfortunately, at the time I took Ducolax, I really did not understand the diff between Ducolax and Bisocadyl.
I think you still don't.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
I think you still don't.
For the curious, s/he means the difference between bisacodyl and docusate.

Bisacodyl is a stimulant laxative. It makes you go.

Docusate is a stool softener. It (forgive me for quoting the ad, but it's an excellent way to describe it) doesn't make you go, but it makes it easier to go.

Bisacodyl stimulates the nerves in your intestine, making them contract and forcing the stool out.

Docusate helps your body mix fat and water in with the poop stream, making it heavier and slipperier, so it's easier to push out.

Dulcolax makes both under their brand name.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Hmm, how about lactulose? Which is it?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
Hmm, how about lactulose? Which is it?
Lactulose is an osmotic laxative. It's a synthetic sugar, and it attracts water into the intestine, which soaks the feces and makes the stool heavier and slipperier and easier to push out. It also pulls ammonia out of the bloodstream and into the colon so it can be excreted, so it's used in liver disease when your body has trouble getting rid of ammonia. (Wow...let me check my work here, I haven't run into lactulose since school....yep, osmotic laxative, ammonia binder, liver disease and/or chronic constipation, but it's not usually the first choice for constipation.)

With all of these, but especially with lactulose and other osmotic laxatives, you want to be sure you're drinking a lot of water so that you don't end up dehydrated.

A dirt cheap osmotic laxative is already in your kitchen: salt. 2 teaspoons of salt in a big glass of water will have you running for the toilet. Don't do this often, and don't do it if you have a cardiac condition, kidney disease or other wonky thing going on with your electrolyte levels, but in a pinch saltwater is a great osmotic laxative.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
The Versed they commonly give to make you not care that someone is ramming a garden hose up your rear is an amnesiac - it makes you not remember that someone is ramming a garden hose up your rear.
If they give you enough, it is the damnedest thing to experience. From your perspective, one moment you're in one place, and the next you're somewhere else, since your brain just didn't record what happened in between.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:07 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Medical advice is best suited to IMHO.

Please note that the original thread was started in 2012.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 AM
It's my understanding from conversations I've had with nurses prior to my own procedures, that they've basically eliminated the standard Demerol/Versed combo in favor of Propafal (sp?). Similar effect to Versed during use, but clears the system faster and fewer after-effects.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member
Known colloquially as "Jacksoning."
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Had a colonoscopy just last week, in honor (?) of my recent round-number birthday, so I opened the thread figuring I could give the OP the benefit of my experience, since Dulcolax was part of my prep.

Then I saw the date of the OP.

Besides, it looks like racer72 told the OP what he needed to know in post #2. Anyone else with the same question should take that advice.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
Consider, Charlie Wayne, that the OP's colonoscopy was 18 months ago. We're talking about zombie stools, at this point.
Tuuurrrrdddddsssss!