Old 08-28-2012, 02:10 AM
Advice on heating up Sake at home?

My favorite part of going out for sushi is getting warm sake and just...well...getting good and hammered on the stuff!

I decided to buy a bottle for my own home use, but then it occurred to me: how am I to heat it up? Sure, I could drink it cold, but I much prefer warm! Is there a correct way to do it? Microwave, tea kettle? Other?

And on a related note, what are those fancy porcelain carafe dealies they serve it in called? I asked a lady at the kitchen supply store today, but she hadn't the foggiest!

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Microwave it, then light it on fire. Or just microwave it.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 AM
At the restaurants I've been to, they warm the bottles in hot (not boiling) water.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Microwave it, then light it on fire. Or just microwave it.
This is what I do....Because I'm impatient.

Otherwise I would probably warm up a pot on the stove and then put the bottle of sake in that.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio107 View Post
And on a related note, what are those fancy porcelain carafe dealies they serve it in called? I asked a lady at the kitchen supply store today, but she hadn't the foggiest!

Thanks in advance.
What you're looking for is a sake set. Search it on Google or Amazon--you'll find tons.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 AM
Oh, for Heaven's Sake the microwave is perfectly acceptable!!!

For Pete's Sake, however, it is much better to put the bottle in a pot of hot water.

For Christ's Sake, stand the bottle in a pot of room temperature then turn on the stove to raise the temperature of the pot and the Sake together.

For the Sake of Argument you can try any or all the described methods.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I remembered a little Asian cooking store that sells tea sets and chopsticks and cutlery and the like downtown. Found my sake set. Link.

The owner seemed quite pleased by my choice, and was chatting with me about sake in his fairly broken English. He was quite adamant that microwaving was bad, saying that all the alcohol would evaporate, instead opting for the hot bowl of water method.

Thanks For all the help!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Sheesh, microwave it. Tons of restaurants in Japan do this. A lot of places use something like a Mr. Coffee machine and run it through so it comes out heated.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by China Guy View Post
Sheesh, microwave it. Tons of restaurants in Japan do this. A lot of places use something like a Mr. Coffee machine and run it through so it comes out heated.
THE KEURIG!!!!

You sir, are a genius.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM
PLease, Please PLease, PLease make sure it is the right kind of Sake....95% of all sakes are not made to drink warm. Most sake is made to drink slightly cool, and/or cold (as in refridgerator temp). You need to ask at the liquor or wine store for warm sake. (and actually warm sake is considered by sake enthuasiast to be the lowest quality)
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylede View Post
PLease, Please PLease, PLease make sure it is the right kind of Sake....95% of all sakes are not made to drink warm. Most sake is made to drink slightly cool, and/or cold (as in refridgerator temp). You need to ask at the liquor or wine store for warm sake. (and actually warm sake is considered by sake enthuasiast to be the lowest quality)
Wellsir, there were two brands of Sake at the LCBO by my house, shoehorned on the same shelf as the Kosher wine.

I picked Gekkeikan, because it was the cheaper of the two. 8 bucks for a nice size bottle, I frankly couldn't care if I ruined it. I just like drinking warm booze!