Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Funniest Episode from The Andy Griffith Show

Andy Griffith recently died.

Farewell Andy. You made some fine TV shows and some fine films too.

But my favorite thing you ever did was the original Andy Griffith Show with Don Knotts as Barnie Fife. There were many tremendous episodes and I'd like to dedicate this thread for people to identify what they think is the funniest episode from that show.

I think it was the one where Opie and his friends got roped into selling some "salve" and Barney got Gomer to come with him to see the people who ran the salve company and pretended to be a veterenarian and said their salve would cure "The Mange". Remember that one?

It was no wonder that Don Knotts won just about every Emmy he was ever eligible to win. What a comic genius!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Charter Member
Aunt Bea's pickles. They were so uneatable the boys changed them to store bought ones. They told her the reason they were gone was because they were "gluttons gluttons gluttons".
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Andy and Helen explore a cave and there's a rock slide. Barney organizes a rescue.

Andy and Helen find another way out and go home. They hear about the rescue and return to the cave. All to keep Barney from getting humiliated.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM
There are too many wonderful episodes to name! Not just funny, but touching and sweet.

The time Opie rescued the little birds.
The time the mountain man won the singing competition dressed in his overalls. He sang "Look down, look down, that lonesome road."
The time the hard-driving businessman spent the day at Andy's waiting for his car to get fixed, and learned how to stop and smell the flowers. He finally dozed off on Andy's front porch while peeling an apple.
Times when Andy misjudged Opie and wound up apologizing to him.

Although our tastes today don't find drunkenness funny, I loved the episode where there's no room in the jail so Andy incarcerates Otis at home under Warden Aunt Bee. She works him harder than if he were on a Carolina chain gang!

The programs showed a deep understanding of human nature and friendship. The way Andy spared Barney's fragile ego on so many occasions, because Andy was, frankly, a strong, gentle man and could do it with no loss to himself.

The show deteriorated in later years IMHO, when Opie got too big to be cute (God, he was a darling little kid), with the addition of Howard, and the antics of Ernest T. Bass. The show got away from its simple, down-to-earth values.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Aunt Bee buys a "tonic" which turns out to be alcoholic. Andy & Barney find her singing at the piano and Barney says "she's tiddly!" later, a bunch of church ladies get blasted as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Any episode with Earnest T Bass. That rock throwing hillbilly was funny and unusually well known for a character that only appeared on something like 5 scattered episodes.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
There are too many wonderful episodes to name! Not just funny, but touching and sweet.

The time Opie rescued the little birds.
The time the mountain man won the singing competition dressed in his overalls. He sang "Look down, look down, that lonesome road."
The time the hard-driving businessman spent the day at Andy's waiting for his car to get fixed, and learned how to stop and smell the flowers. He finally dozed off on Andy's front porch while peeling an apple.
Times when Andy misjudged Opie and wound up apologizing to him.

Although our tastes today don't find drunkenness funny, I loved the episode where there's no room in the jail so Andy incarcerates Otis at home under Warden Aunt Bee. She works him harder than if he were on a Carolina chain gang!

The programs showed a deep understanding of human nature and friendship. The way Andy spared Barney's fragile ego on so many occasions, because Andy was, frankly, a strong, gentle man and could do it with no loss to himself.

The show deteriorated in later years IMHO, when Opie got too big to be cute (God, he was a darling little kid), with the addition of Howard, and the antics of Ernest T. Bass. The show got away from its simple, down-to-earth values.
Pardon my for saying this. But IMO, the show went downhill for one reason only and that was the departure of Barney. The moment he left the show, it got real terrible instantly. There was not one good episode that I can remember after Barney left.

The day he left, they brought in Warren who lasted for about 5 episodes and was then gone like a fart in the wind. That's when the brought in Howard. What a disaster he was. So sad they didn't realize the real star of that show was Don Knots. But by all accounts, Don was far too much the gentleman to ever do anything to hurt his friend Andy.

When Don Knotts died, his friend Andy was at his bedside. It's enough to bring tears to my eyes.

I loved Don Knotts as Barney. And hey! So did Thelma Lou!

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 09-03-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Remember when Andy and Barney got real lucky and started busting stills?

Then Opie discovered these two old sisters had a "flower making machine" in their back room and they had been leaking the info about the other stills to shut down their competition.

Then there was the episode where Opie and his friends had a secret club and met in some old man's barn. When the barn burned down, the old man accused Opie and the boys. But it turned out he was operating a still in his barn and he had started the fire by accident himself. This was one of those episodes where Andy didn't believe Opie and had to apologize to him. Wonderful episode. Barmeu discovered the still when he took a drink of "water" but it turned out to be alcohol and he got blasted.

"Jubil. Jubil Jubil"

Shit! I feel like crying.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 09-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
True that!

Funny almost always involved Barney. Off the top of my head, when he got a motorcycle and when he was undercover as a store mannequin to catch a shoplifter.

Touching almost always was Andy and Opie, my favorite being Mr. McBeeveee.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Hapsburg View Post
The day he left, they brought in Warren who lasted for about 5 episodes and was then gone like a fart in the wind. That's when the brought in Howard. What a disaster he was.
You are absolutely correct about this. Oh God, I had forgotten completely about Warren...what a dufus... I guess I blocked him out. Don Knotts was not only the star of the show, but he and Andy were both deep, rounded characters, and the relationship between them was subtle and loving and was, in fact, the template for why Mayberry was such a wonderful place to live. The later actors were not only not as good as Don, but there was no depth to their characters and the whole idea of Mayberry as a loving community was sacrificed to goofball humor that ridiculed its small-town ways.

I loved episodes where Andy's integrity and common sense trumped smug, stuffed-shirt outsiders, especially law-enforcement outsiders.

Remember the one where the thief put boots on the cow's feet to make it look like there were two thieves?

And I think Andy delivered a baby once, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
I loved Don Knotts as Barney. And hey! So did Thelma Lou!
Hehe! OUTED!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM
My favorite Barney episode is the one where he has to pass a physical. There's a weight requirement for cops. Aunt Bea tries fattening him up. They try everything. Barney is about to lose his job because he was a pound under.

Andy out smarts the rules. The rules say Barney is allowed his uniform, and a chain and id tag. So Andy gives him a one lb chain. LOL

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-03-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Citizens' arr-aay-est! Citizens' arr-aay-est!
Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Horrified Onlooker
"Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!"

Not the funniest, but the one that sticks in my mind.

Edit: WOW. Simulposting within a minute!!

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 09-03-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM
@TreacherousCretin: Amazing also how TWO WORDS stick out and immediately fans everywhere know exactly what we're referring to.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
"Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!"

Not the funniest, but the one that sticks in my mind.

Edit: WOW. Simulposting within a minute!!
Remember when Andy went away for half a day and Barney wanted to do a real good job while he was gone and he wound up arresting the whole town and put them all in jail?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:56 PM
@Laslo: YES that was hilarious! How about the time Barney Fife decided to do a shakedown and let the prisoners escape?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottius Maximus View Post
Citizens' arr-aay-est! Citizens' arr-aay-est!

Citizens' arrest
Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Horrified Onlooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottius Maximus View Post
@TreacherousCretin: Amazing also how TWO WORDS stick out and immediately fans everywhere know exactly what we're referring to.
Great minds think alike, and all that. Identical simulposts no less. Well, except for you taking the extra trouble of transcribing it into Gomer's accent.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 09-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Charter Member
I have a few that come to mind.
The one where Opie tries to sway his had by throwing a temper tantrum; and Andy's only response is: "don't get your trousers dirty." Then the bad-influence kid gets shown to the good old fashioned wood shed in the back once his dad realizes his kid is a brat.

The one where the boys befriend a man who turns out to be a bum; but Andy lets the boys figure it out for themselves.

The one where Andy feels inadequate around the rich people of Mayberry; but by the end of the episode he finds common ground in realizing their a bunch of guys who all like to go fishing.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Charter Member
"How do you do Mrs. Wiley?"
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 PM
The goat that supposedly ate dynamite comes to mind.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM
"Otis spiked the spring water!"
Old 09-04-2012, 03:52 AM
Anything involving the Darlings and/or Ernest T. Bass was great. My personal favorite was "The Rehabilitation of Otis," where Otis rides a cow through town and Barney decides it's time to reform him.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I was always partial to appearances by the Darlings. They taught me a lot of nice, old-fashioned country/folk songs--and since I live & work near a road named Shady Grove, they're often on my mind ("Aw, that one makes me cry, Paw.")
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrrbazzle View Post
I was going to say that one. Best line was when Otis walked in and Andy told him that one loaded goat was all they could handle.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Barney and the motorcycle, especially when Aunt Bea suggests stringing a wire across the road at neck level.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM
"We only got TWO RULES here at the ROCK.

And the first rules is: OBEY ALL THE RULES!"

That one, and I also like "The Lucky Letter" about a chain letter that goes around. In that one, we learn Barney has a subscription to a very racy magazine called "Love Magazine."

Maybe it's how Andy says it - southern and distasteful. Lhhuuv.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM
My favorite is the Mr. McBeevy episode. He walks in the trees and wears a shiney hat and has 12 extra hands on his belt.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Nip it in the bud. Nip it!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I loved the one where Alan Hale Jr. (aka The Skipper later in life) comes to town to find a wife. His method? Stand on the corner and, literally, pick them up!

Last edited by August West; 09-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
I loved the one where Andy gets Barnie's judo insructor to stand-in for deputy Fife in a dark alley against a bully.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mapp View Post
I was always partial to appearances by the Darlings. They taught me a lot of nice, old-fashioned country/folk songs--and since I live & work near a road named Shady Grove, they're often on my mind ("Aw, that one makes me cry, Paw.")
Trivia: the Darling brothers were the bluegrass group The Dillards (and credited as "The Dillards" in the closing credits); at some point after the series ended, a couple of them left the group and were replaced, but the originals reunited (and were credited individually, presumably as "The Dillards" was now a different group of four people) for the reunion show.

More trivia: The Andy Griffith Show is pretty much the only show to have both a "sequel" (i.e. in character, set years later) and a "retrospective" (i.e. the actors as themselves talking about the show) reunion show.

My favorite Barney episode is probably the one where there is a group of troublemakers, and Andy makes them think that when Barney goes through some mannerisms (like tapping the handle of his gun), he's about to get ruthless, so when they meet up with Barney, they run off - but then when somebody (Floyd, I think) tells them the truth about Barney and they return, Barney tells Andy to let him handle it himself, and in a rare moment of seriousness, he does.

OTOH, my favorite Barney moment is when he locks himself in the bank vault, and while they try to figure out how to get him out, he suddenly shows up in the bank; he noticed the bottom of the back of the vault was just part of the wall between the bank and the business (a beauty parlor, I think) next door, so you see him kick out the bottom of the wall and crawl out.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
More trivia: The Andy Griffith Show is pretty much the only show to have both a "sequel" (i.e. in character, set years later) and a "retrospective" (i.e. the actors as themselves talking about the show) reunion show.
I recall the reunion/retrospective show as being pretty good. Andy, Don, Ron Howard and Jim Nabors sitting around the old courthouse set reminiscing. The TV movie sequel, "Return to Mayberry", I had mixed feelings about. On one hand, it was fun to see the old gang again and the recreation of Mayberry itself. On the other hand, the story was pretty awful reminding me more of the later season shows after Don Knotts left. Alas, you can't go home, even to Mayberry, again.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
It's been a long time since I've seen the show, but I liked the episode where Andy and Barney date the two wild girls. They're driving down the road and one of the girls is hanging out the window and Andy says (paraphrased) "Barney, will you tell your girl to stop hanging her head out the window like a dog?"
Old 09-04-2012, 05:36 PM
"Poor Horatio"
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM
It's basically impossible to identify the funniest TAGS episode, because the vast majority of "the good ones" (i.e., those with Don Knotts) had great and/or funny moments, to wit:

"Boy, giraffes is selfish."
"Winkin will tell Blinkin, Blinkin will tell Nod, Nod will tell Barney, and Barney will tell you."
"That's north to south." (Spoken in such a forlorn, hopeless way that it never fails to crack me up.)
"He's a NUT!"

Now that I think about it, Barney bears a striking resemblance to Daffy Duck in terms of mannerisms.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Trivia: the Darling brothers were the bluegrass group The Dillards (and credited as "The Dillards" in the closing credits); at some point after the series ended, a couple of them left the group and were replaced, but the originals reunited (and were credited individually, presumably as "The Dillards" was now a different group of four people) for the reunion show.
I did remember that they were a real group, but couldn't remember the name. Those boys'd talk your ear off.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Horrified Onlooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bup View Post
"We only got TWO RULES here at the ROCK.
And the first rules is: OBEY ALL THE RULES!"
Thank you for reminding me of this. Here's the exact quote, and film clip. God bless Don Knotts.

"Here at 'the Rock,' we have two rules. Memorize them so you can say them in your sleep. Rule Number One: Obey all rules! Rule Number 2: No writing....on the walls...as it takes a lot of work...to erase writing...off of walls."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YtsvsLFYYSg
Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Any episode with Ernest T. Bass. Ditto the Darlings.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
I can't seem to find it on YT, but my favorite was when Barney's landlady discovers his forbidden hotplate. My favorite line from that episode is when he and his landlady have a bit of cider to make up when Andy comes to see how things are going, finding a tipsy Barney, says "Why Barney, you're gassed!" as only he could say it.

But, that said, I've never seen a bad black and white episode of TAGS.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
The one where Andy does a "Pygmalion" style makeover of Ernest T. Bass. When Ernest T. comes bounding down the stair, leaps the bannister and plops in the chair, Barney says, "For a minute there I thought he was the Count of Monte Cristo."

Cool! You tube clip here!

Last edited by Labdad; 09-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrrbazzle View Post
"Jimmy, now you'll believe me when I try to tell you that coming uptown is no big deal!"
Old 09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
"Otis spiked the spring water!"
I DID NOT!!

Does anyone else remember the one where Barney, in his role as social director or whatever for his civic group, had to find a hotel for the Russian diplomats to stay for some kinda peace talks?

The reservations got screwed up and the Russians had to stay at Andy's large mansion-esque house. Things weren't going well with the talks until the Russian got up in the middle of the night for a snack, as did the American representative, and they found common ground as they ate around the dining room table.

Wasn't exactly the funniest, but it sure was prophetic!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
Ernest T Bass was played by actor Howie Morris, a Jewish man from the Bronx. He was in the the Army during WWII and learned the Southern accent and mannerisms from some of his fellow soldiers.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Ernest T Bass was played by actor Howie Morris, a Jewish man from the Bronx. He was in the the Army during WWII and learned the Southern accent and mannerisms from some of his fellow soldiers.
He was also a prolific sitcom director, with both the Griffith show and the Dick Van Dyke Show on his resume. If I'm not mistaken, he also directed the pilot of Get Smart!