Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
What's the deal with jockstraps?

I get that the main point of a jockstrap is to keep one's boys high and tight so they don't get injured during physical activity. It's a noble goal, and I ... um... support it.

Here's my question: Why, exactly, is it preferable for the jockstrap wearer to have nothing covering his behind -- just a couple of straps lifting and separating? I mean, it's not like you can wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap. I don't see the benefit.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
I was under the impression that it was an issue of mobility and that the only point of a jock strap was to hold a cup. Do athletes wear jocks without cups?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I was under the impression that it was an issue of mobility and that the only point of a jock strap was to hold a cup. Do athletes wear jocks without cups?
Some do... Sprinters, for instance, don't need the protection of a cup, but do benefit from having support of the testes.

ETA: ever watch a nude guy sprint? It looks terrifically painful! It doesn't take an engineer to spot the obvious "most likely mode of failure."

Last edited by Trinopus; 09-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
I wouldn't call all of us athletes, but yeah, when I took gym class in junior and senior high school, all of us guys were required to wear a jock.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Some do... Sprinters, for instance, don't need the protection of a cup, but do benefit from having support of the testes.

ETA: ever watch a nude guy sprint? It looks terrifically painful! It doesn't take an engineer to spot the obvious "most likely mode of failure."
I don't have trouble sprinting without underwear. I just lower my weight a little bit, and run so that there's little "up-and-down" motion. I had to learn this way of running when I switched from briefs to boxers. It was either change, or suffer a painful nut collision with every stride. ROFL

Think about it, men in primitive tribes that go mostly naked, even today, sometimes have to sprint, when they are hunting, etc.. You really think they don't know how to do that without hurting their nuts?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

This
Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Charter Member
Football players, although they might need it occasionally don't wear cups. They don't want any restriction of mobility. A baseball catcher and a hockey goalie will always wear a cup because the groin area is an easy target for a 90-100 mile hard object that can cause enormous pain.

The jockstrap is just a minimal piece of underwear that will hold the family jewels in place so they don't wander.

No need to cover the buttocks, the pants do that.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:57 PM
the two elastic straps coming at angles tensioned by the path over the buttocks holds the bottom of the jock mesh tighter than other structures. minimal material for maximum function.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Troy View Post
Here's my question: Why, exactly, is it preferable for the jockstrap wearer to have nothing covering his behind -- just a couple of straps lifting and separating? I mean, it's not like you can wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap. I don't see the benefit.
Help me out, here. Why, exactly, can't you wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by al27052 View Post
. . . Think about it, men in primitive tribes that go mostly naked, even today, sometimes have to sprint, when they are hunting, etc.. You really think they don't know how to do that without hurting their nuts?
Well...don't such people, today, generally wear loincloths or diapers or skivvies, or something that gives some support (and protection against scissoring?) I thought that pretty much every culture had male genital veiling of some sort, even to the most minimal degree of penis-sheaths.

(I recently read an account of De Anza's expedition through the desert near modern El Centro, California, and he said the men went absolutely naked. This surprised me, as I had thought all native Americans had at very least a loincloth for costume.)

Valid point, though, as for the earliest of all humans, those who were too primitive even to build a crotch-strap or nut-sling.

Last edited by Trinopus; 09-12-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: not everyone knows where El Centro is!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
Help me out, here. Why, exactly, can't you wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap?
I was kind of wondering this myself. I train martial arts (MMA and Muay Thai), so I wear a jock strap almost every night of the week. Naturally I wear it on top of my underwear, and I don't really see why I wouldn't.
I wear underwear to keep some of the sweat and grime out of my shorts, and I expect that the reason a jock strap only has straps in the back is for the same reason. Otherwise I'd have to have a week's supply of jock straps at home, getting only a single use before they smelt rotten. Being made of a minimum amount of fabric I get by with only a couple.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
(snip)Here's my question: Why, exactly, is it preferable for the jockstrap wearer to have nothing covering his behind -- just a couple of straps lifting and separating? I mean, it's not like you can wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap. I don't see the benefit.
Because it makes my ass look that good.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 AM
Quote:
I thought that pretty much every culture had male genital veiling of some sort, even to the most minimal degree of penis-sheaths.
The most minimal penis-sheaths, such as those used by many South American tribes, do a crappy job of supporting the scrotum / testicles, anyway. Australian Aborigines are another large group of peoples who utilized little in the way of male genital veiling.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Woah. Wait a sec. They're two different pieces? I thought a jock strap was that cup thingie with the elastics!

Where's that "Stuff that took you too long to realize" thread?...
Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 AM
The jock strap is the fabric contraption that usually includes a pocket which can hold the plastic cup, but it can be worn without the cup as well. The terminology is often imprecise.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM
God, I love this board. I learn so much here. Thank you.

Carry on.

I'm totally serious. No sarcasm intended, in case someone thinks that.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 09-12-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Explanation
Old 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM
to hold the nut mesh tight without the two straps across the back could be done with really sturdy tighty-whities and the guys give each other wedgies every few minutes.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Wait, we're not supposed to wear underwear with the strap? I really wish those things came with instructions.

Anyhow, the only reason I've ever worn a jockstrap was to hold a cup. SCA fighting rules, for obvious reasons, require the wear of "Gentlemen's Protection" for all male rapier fighters. Stories abound of fighting marshals performing "Cup Checks" by asking guys if they were wearing a cup before kneeing them in the groin (the knee was only in response to "yes" answers, of course).
Old 09-12-2012, 11:03 AM
for the mesh thing to be effective it has to be against the skin, like a hand gently cradling the world's most valuable thing. if over underwear it doesn't have the support and tight envelopment.

there are cup holders shaped similar to a jockstrap and designed to hold the cup in place without holding tight like a jockstrap; i.e. your nuts could leak out without a jockstrap.

there are also other style devices to hold a cup.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
With the proliferation of spandex in athletic wear, isn't the jockstrap kind of outmoded? Any reason you can't slip a cup inside your stretchy pants?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Has something changed concerning high school / jr high gym classes in the last few decades? As I recall it, if you were male, you learned about this when you started taking gym class in junior high (they call that middle school now, of course). You were told to buy an "athletic supporter", and you wore just the jock strap under your gym shorts. A quick glance around the locker room would confirm that that was what everybody was doing.

No reason you COULDN'T wear underwear over it. Wearing it on top of the underwear somewhat reduces the effectiveness, for reasons already stated (the mesh pouch is intended to hold the testicles directly), but probably still helps.

For gym exercise these days, I don't wear one. I wear briefs, and that works well enough. I've never liked boxers - I don't like to walk around bouncing.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Eh, when I was in high school, I did Marching Band for most of my PE credits. I did a semester of Cross Country as a way of getting in shape before I applied for ROTC, but everybody there mostly just wore briefs I think (Cross Country Running, even as competitive as it is, does not typically require a cup to be worn)
Old 09-12-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm flabbergasted at how many adult males (many from the U.S.) don't know the difference between and jack strap and cup, what they are for, why they are made they way they are etc. Didn't you play sports in high school and college?

Last edited by spifflog; 09-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
With the proliferation of spandex in athletic wear, isn't the jockstrap kind of outmoded? Any reason you can't slip a cup inside your stretchy pants?
Hockey players wear a piece of equipment that multi-tasks very nicely. It's basically compression shorts with a jockstrap built in. On the outside is a pouch that you can easily put a cup in and then take it out for washing. On the legs there are garters or velcro to hold up the socks. In the old days they wore a cup protector and a separate garter belt.

Just slipping a cup in your shorts isn't going to work. It has to be held in place or it will move around and that's no good.

Last edited by R. P. McMurphy; 09-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raguleader View Post
SCA fighting rules, for obvious reasons, require the wear of "Gentlemen's Protection" for all male rapier fighters.
Just how rapey does it get?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spifflog View Post
I'm flabbergasted at how many adult males (many from the U.S.) don't know the difference between and jack strap and cup, what they are for, why they are made they way they are etc. Didn't you play sports in high school and college?
As I mentioned, the only sport I took part in was cross-country running, for which most of us just wore regular underwear. Honestly I just thought the purpose of a jock strap was to hold the cup in place.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
And all of the underwear I own (briefs) are made with spandex. These seem to do just as good of a job keeping the twins in control, as any jockstrap could. And they're way more comfortable.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Charter Member
I wore a jockstrap during sports through Jr high and high school. In college I discovered that a Speedo swimsuit did the job just as well and breathed better than a jock.

Speedo's had the added benefit of drying quickly (in like 5 min) so I could wear to the shower after a workout, take it off and rinse it in the shower and it would usually be dry and fresh and ready for the next workout before I re dressed. Anybody who's ever had to wear a jock strap twice before laundering can appreciate the advantage of the speedo.

Never wore a a jock since then.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob View Post
Has something changed concerning high school / jr high gym classes in the last few decades?
Yes it has. My children are in high school in a suburb of Washington, D.C., and my son is not required to wear a jock for phys ed. I was required to wear one starting in 7th grade (which was in a Baltimore suburb, 1970).

They also do not take showers. Apparently this is the norm throughout our county; I have no idea why. In middle school my kids actually had the option of paying a little extra for a towel service so you can swab the sweat off before you go to class. When I was in middle school and high school, showers were required. Towel snapping other kids' asses was a great pastime. However, I will say that shower time really eats into the time available for the actual physical activity you are there for; we had 45-minute classes, so once your subtract changing clothes, getting out to the field and back, showering, getting dressed, you have about 15 minutes left for a soccer game.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I've been intending to get a jockstrap to wear while bicycling. My spandex bike shorts, despite being skin-tight, completely fail to hold the jewels in place. And all my underwear is boxers these days, which are really awkward under spandex bike shorts.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Why, exactly, is it preferable for the jockstrap wearer to have nothing covering his behind -- just a couple of straps lifting and separating? I mean, it's not like you can wear underwear along WITH your jockstrap. I don't see the benefit.
I suspect johnpost has it right. The elastic straps provide the support, and any other material would be unnecessary for the jockstrap's purpose.

I endured a basketball practice once without a jockstrap and the lads reminded me every stride. I never forgot it again.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
I wanna know where you see naked men running? I guess I could do a google search...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Not if I could help it.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I ran literally thousands of miles and did lots of obstacle courses in 4 years of Army service. Never used a jock, only briefs. Worked just fine. I must have a fairly tiny package.

I wore a cup for a few days playing highschool football, but one of the guys escaped the confines of his protective bunker--mostly. Tossed the plastic after that and did fine with just a strap and a bit of vigilance.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Well, you could, but:
1) it gets hot & sweaty.
2) it restricts your movement.
3) it's completely unnecessary, since you're wearing pants or shorts.

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Hmmm...

I and many classmates managed to go completely through high school without ever owning a jock or cup or whatever. Unless you were on the football or hockey team, the general attitide of the PE instructor (a pro football type) was "grab a ball and go play something."

It was quite funny when the last year of ny high schooling, the local school board realized what our (private) school was up to. They instituted a real PE program, and tried to teach us things like lacrosse and gymnastics. I think only about half of us actually managed to jump the vault horse (I didn't).

I don't know how it worked for other schools, but I probably learned more about jockstraps from sports movies and comedy shows than from real life.

(When I later took up jogging, plain briefs were more than sufficient.)

Why would they not wear underwear too? I suppose hygiene is not a big issue for that type of male that wears a jock...

Last edited by md2000; 09-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Luna View Post
I wanna know where you see naked men running? I guess I could do a google search...
Last time I saw one was on Orient Beach on St. Martin. There are some things you just don't want to see.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
I keep my gamete producers safely in my pelvis, like Goddess intended.

I have no idea if the guys in my high school work jock straps or cups. I do know we had showers, but generally no time to use them, although they were technically required. Many of us would literally walk, fully clothed, by the shower with a hand outstretched and get our hand wet. Our teacher would roll her eyes, but didn't make us actually strip and bathe, except after swimming.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
I must have a fairly tiny package.
I'm tempted to make this my sig.

"I must have a fairly tiny package - Inigo Montoya"
Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm from Australia, and had no idea what a jockstrap was exactly for a long time. I can't speak for the entire continent, but in Queensland jock straps weren't a 'thing' anyone used.

This from a country that plays cricket where a 'cup' which by the way we call a box, is mandatory when batting, It was just usually shoved down the front of your briefs. (Sharing one is not encouraged ).
Old 09-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabob View Post
Has something changed concerning high school / jr high gym classes in the last few decades? As I recall it, if you were male, you learned about this when you started taking gym class in junior high (they call that middle school now, of course). You were told to buy an "athletic supporter", and you wore just the jock strap under your gym shorts. A quick glance around the locker room would confirm that that was what everybody was doing.
In my jr high days, "athletic supporter" meant this. But it also referred to any member of the teams boosters clubs.

Quote:
Just look up Archimedes. See this and this. (SFW -- they're just cartoon drawings.)

See also The Streak song and video by Ray Stevens. (Also SFW. Sorry.)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm surprised nobody else has thought of this:

I'm going to have to cooungh it up and I wish you great stuff,

Do it!

Last edited by core_dump; 09-12-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't have said CAN'T, but boy did I ever get made fun of the first time I wore one for football practice and put it on over my briefs.

"Haven't you ever worn a jockstrap before, Smith?"

Well, NO, you neanderthals, I haven't. They aren't required for fencing or the shot put, and those are the only sports I ever went out for before football. Which leaves wearing them for enjoyment, I guess, and I prefer a free swing under most circumstances.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I played football in junior high school in the mid-'80's, and jockstraps were never mentioned at all. Neither were cups, for that matter.

We were each issued a full set of football equipment, but undergarments were simply not discussed. Absent any real notion of an alternative, I just wore a pair of briefs under my football pants, and it was never a problem; I'm pretty sure that's what just about everybody else did, too.

The first time I ever handled a jockstrap was in college, in 1989. My school's gym had the policy that anyone using it (for P.E. classes, lifting weights, etc.) had to be wearing a set of the school's gym clothes: Upon check-in you were handed a basket containing a cotton t-shirt, shorts, a pair of socks, and a jockstrap. Since they didn't actually check undergarments of users, you could wear whatever you wanted underneath in practice. However, I sometimes wore the jock just to avoid getting the briefs I'd worn over there sweat-soaked. It felt kind of strange, and my shorts would sometimes get stuck in my butt crack.

I've played soccer and basketball through the years, and have always simply worn briefs. I'm now a recreational runner, and usually wear purpose-built running shorts that contain a liner for support - they feel comparable to briefs, as far as amount of support. I don't own a jockstrap and have never worn a cup in my life.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Reading this thread seems to give the idea that one is incapable of doing anything aside from watching TV unless they're wearing a jockstrap.

Nobody wore one in the high school gym classes. Or on the soccer or wrestling team in high school. Don't believe more than a few wore one for wrestling in college either. I can't imagine people generally wore them for pickup basketball games and the like.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead View Post
I'm tempted to make this my sig.

"I must have a fairly tiny package - Inigo Montoya"
Well Played, Sirrah!

Last edited by The Great Sun Jester; 09-13-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Took some junk out -- less is more, and all that
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 AM
What hasn't been mention is that while a cup offers protection from impact injuries which are usually minor due to the testicles being spongy and elastic, jock strap, athletic supporters, etc. offer protection from more serious injuries such as testicular torsion or testicular rupture.

***warning - researching these topics may cause slight nausea in male viewers -LOL
Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM
A jock is a bra for the balls. When I am running and jumping I don't want the jewels flipping and flopping around. When I was in high school, a long time ago, there was jocks, briefs and boxers and they made us all use a jock in PE. The point, I think, was to teach us all about this useful underwear option that many if us would have overlooked.

After high school I played rugby for years wearing briefs (Ha, ha. Yes I had other clothes on.) I should have used a cup but didn't like them and I felt the briefs gave prevented flopping around just fine. If I was a boxer guy I might have gone with a jock.

These days there are bike shorts. I think of men's bike shorts as a job-bra for the testes.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Apparently, Florida is one option (SFW).
Old 09-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I attended public school all my life, middle school through graduation from HS went from '78-'85. I was never told to wear a jock strap or a cup. I also played little league for four years during my youth; same deal. I've run a bunch of marathons, 1/2 marathons, and endurance/mud runs... never wore a jock or a cup.

At one point as an adult, I was participating in some sport, can't remember what, and decided I should probably protect the boys. I couldn't figure the fucking thing out. Wearing the jock without the cup just sort of squashed the whole package flat, and things were squeezing out to the sides. That can't be it, it sort of defeats the purpose of the thing. So I slid the cup in, and it didn't get much better. The back of the cup sleeve- the part up against my genitals- was stretched straight from one side to the other, resulting in things getting squashed flat again.

I wrestled with it for 15 minutes in my bedroom before taking it off and throwing it into the back of my drawer, never to be worn again. These days, a pair of running shorts with the wicking inner layer keeps the boys comfortably nestled.