Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,024
Driving without tags - how is this legal?

I have a long commute each day to work and without fail I generally see 3 or more vehicles driving down the road with no tags, apparently legal. I say legal because these vehicles ALWAYS have a vanity plate where the state tag would normally be.

Just this morning I saw another a late model truck driving down the road with a shiny mirrored John Deere vanity tag on back.

Each time this has happened lately, I have looked VERY close for a 30 day tag, a dealer magnetic tag or a tag on front and have never seen one.

I have noticed that about 75% of the time, it is a truck and I do live in a rural area, perhaps farmers get some exemption?
#2
Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: N/W Arkansas
Posts: 8,144
When you get a vanity tag, you pay extra usually & you get a regular one also but everywhere I have been so far, they do not have to display the normal one. The cops can run a vanity plate just as well as a regular one.

Other places, YMMV

No cite or anything.

Also, in AR. you have 30 days to get a regular tag and the temp tags get lost all the time. You can get pulled over but with the paperwork, you will usually just get a warning.
#3
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SLC, USA
Posts: 4,078
I don't think the OP is talking about DMV issued vanity tags, but the type of novelty tags in the shape of license plates that you can buy at truck stops and other such places.

I know that there are some states that only require rear license plates, leaving the owner free to put other tags on the front, but AFAIK every state requires at least one official license plate on any vehicle on a public road.

I have also seen what the OP is describing, and wonder how they get away with it.
#4
Old 09-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis, MO 50mi. West
Posts: 4,453
In my state, Missouri, trucks licenced at 18,000 pounds or greater are only issued a front plate. That allows all sorts of John Deere or other plates to be put on the rear. If the police see a pickup with no rear plate they just assume it has one on the front.
__________________
GaryM
#5
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
In my state, Missouri, trucks licenced at 18,000 pounds or greater are only issued a front plate. That allows all sorts of John Deere or other plates to be put on the rear. If the police see a pickup with no rear plate they just assume it has one on the front.
I find it completely counter-intuitive to issue a front plate, but no back plate. If the cops are following someone, don't they want to know the plate number? I understand a back-plate-only law, but not a front-plate-only law.

Joe
#6
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,985
Because a semi is likely to be pulling a trailer most of the time.

FWIW, in the DC area I sometimes see cars registered in Maryland with a piece of cardboard in the back window which reads, "STOLEN PLATE ABC1234" or whatever. It is becoming less common. It is very rare to see a car or truck without a plate, so I'm guessing the OP may be observing a local phenomenon.
#7
Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
In my state, Missouri, trucks licenced at 18,000 pounds or greater are only issued a front plate. That allows all sorts of John Deere or other plates to be put on the rear. If the police see a pickup with no rear plate they just assume it has one on the front.
I do live in MO but none of the vehicles I have noted are that large.

Also just to clarify, by vanity plates I do not mean legal/state issued but in fact the ones that many people have on the front of their car with sports teams and other logos.

I should also add that in EVERY case where I have inspected, the vehicle in question had NO state tags (front or rear) or a 30 day. Missouri is also a dual tag state (front and back).

Last edited by chargerrich; 09-25-2012 at 11:00 AM.
#8
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: S. GA
Posts: 2,904
The states that require a front plate only for certain (non-semi) trucks do so because rear plates get damaged to the point of being illegible on the backs of those trucks.

Or so I read once-
#9
Old 09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: KC MO or there abouts
Posts: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhomer View Post
I find it completely counter-intuitive to issue a front plate, but no back plate. If the cops are following someone, don't they want to know the plate number? I understand a back-plate-only law, but not a front-plate-only law.

Joe
Just my guess but I believe that this setup is in effect because many of the larger trucks are used to tow trailers, fifth wheel, agricultural trailers and such and have identifying tags on the backs of those.
#10
Old 09-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: I am Queens Boulevard
Posts: 14,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
I do live in MO but none of the vehicles I have noted are that large.

Also just to clarify, by vanity plates I do not mean legal/state issued but in fact the ones that many people have on the front of their car with sports teams and other logos.

I should also add that in EVERY case where I have inspected, the vehicle in question had NO state tags (front or rear) or a 30 day. Missouri is also a dual tag state (front and back).
Are you SURE those aren't legal state tags? Most states raise revenue by issuing totally legal plates that bear sports teams logos and themed images. You pay an extra fee; they often look nothing like the "standard" state tag. These are some that you choose from in my state:
http://dmv.ny.gov/cplates.htm

Whereas the standard tag is gold, all the logo plates have a white background. While NY's specialty plates actually have common design elements with the standard plates, many states' specialty plates do not (see Florida's, for example)

Last edited by Hello Again; 09-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.
#11
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,220
Apparently, Steve Jobs drove without tags

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/...license-plate/
#12
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 93
Those plateless cars may not be registered in your state. California allows 6 months to get a proper plate when you buy a car.

Steve Jobs took advantage of this : (note the article says new car, that means new to the owner, not a brand new car) http://gizmodo.com/5853927/the-real-...-license-plate


Yeah... what Sigene said.

Last edited by SubaRhubarb; 09-25-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Ninja'd
#13
Old 09-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,452
Here in RI it's not necessary to have the tags on your car under various circumstances, but you're likely to get a ticket and would have to go to court to get the charges dismissed.
#14
Old 09-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 38,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy View Post
I know that there are some states that only require rear license plates, leaving the owner free to put other tags on the front, but AFAIK every state requires at least one official license plate on any vehicle on a public road.
New Mexico is a rear-plate-only state, unless that's changed since I lived there. But in Albuquerque, I had a friend who had an old VW bus and used to live in Colorado. He had his requisite New Mexico plate on the back, but kept his Colorado plate on the front. I asked him how he could get away with that, and he said the cops could only see one end at a time.
#15
Old 09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
Are you SURE those aren't legal state tags? Most states raise revenue by issuing totally legal plates that bear sports teams logos and themed images. You pay an extra fee; they often look nothing like the "standard" state tag. These are some that you choose from in my state:
http://dmv.ny.gov/cplates.htm

Whereas the standard tag is gold, all the logo plates have a white background. While NY's specialty plates actually have common design elements with the standard plates, many states' specialty plates do not (see Florida's, for example)
I am absolutely positive... this morning for example this late model F250 had a black mirrored plate with a single green John Deere logo on it, most definitely not offical state tags.

I often see KU Jayhawks, MU Tigers even saw one with the playboy symbol.
#16
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 920
Maybe they are Farm Use Only. Do you see these words anywhere on the vehicles? Usually jalopies are used for this purpose.
#17
Old 09-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NE Kansas
Posts: 654
In Kansas, a rear-plate only state, I too see pickups without legal rear plates, often as the OP states, John Deer, KSU or even Confederate flag plate. Like the OP says, no, these are not state issued vanity plates. And there is no exemption for rear plates for farmers in this state. (I own an old Ford F-500 licensed for farm use.)

It baffles me how people get away with it.
#18
Old 09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: I am Queens Boulevard
Posts: 14,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
I am absolutely positive... this morning for example this late model F250 had a black mirrored plate with a single green John Deere logo on it, most definitely not offical state tags.

I often see KU Jayhawks, MU Tigers even saw one with the playboy symbol.
Oh, I know the things you're talking about. I've seen them on farm trucks, but, yeah, if I saw people driving on the road with them instead of proper rear plates I'd definitely go, WTF? Strange.
#19
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
Oh, I know the things you're talking about. I've seen them on farm trucks, but, yeah, if I saw people driving on the road with them instead of proper rear plates I'd definitely go, WTF? Strange.
Saw another one today... truck with an "International Harvester" logo. I damn near stopped him to ask as he took the same off ramp.

There is surely an obvious answer, but damn if I know it.
#20
Old 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,024
Never got a satisfactory answer to this and now (since its on my mind obviously) I see them all the time, literally a half dozen a day if I am looking.

They are almost always trucks, but not big rigs, I am talking personal 1/2 ton type passenger trucks. Saw one with a Harley Davidson vanity plate and another with a "Roll Tide" plate.

I am going to stalk one this week since no one seems to know what the deal is.
#21
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: KS, US
Posts: 5,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerrich View Post
Never got a satisfactory answer to this and now (since its on my mind obviously) I see them all the time, literally a half dozen a day if I am looking.

They are almost always trucks, but not big rigs, I am talking personal 1/2 ton type passenger trucks. Saw one with a Harley Davidson vanity plate and another with a "Roll Tide" plate.

I am going to stalk one this week since no one seems to know what the deal is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
In my state, Missouri, trucks licenced at 18,000 pounds or greater are only issued a front plate. That allows all sorts of John Deere or other plates to be put on the rear. If the police see a pickup with no rear plate they just assume it has one on the front.
I was going to say what GaryM said, and I think it stands.

Even though these aren't heavy-duty trucks, the owner can still register them for 18k lbs. and therefore only be required to display a front plate.
#22
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,243
A friend of mine many years ago recounted about going to a model train convention.(OK, that's him) Somebody in the area thought it was neat to see so many outside plaes from all oevr North America, and decided to start a collection and dozens of people found their plates missing. (Not one of the brightest bulbs, but at least he had a hobby, I guess). The guy says the railroaders had a standing bet over who would be stopped the most number of times for missing plate(s).

I see cars with no plates from time to time. I thought people had to display the paper "temporary registration" but it does not seem many do. Of course, the real offense is not having registration, and there is some grace period. maybe these motorists in the OP are taking advantage off the police being tired of stopping people only to find they have legit reasons.
#23
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,220
I don't think farm vehicles in missouri need license plates

Googled "licensing farm vehicle in missouri"

The results are a little confusing and require too much thought for me now

http://modot.org/mcs/documents/F...ckSafety07.pdf


But Farmers don't put license plates on tractors when they drive on the road. This exemption gets extended from tractors to 'farm equipment'. Grain trucks would easily qualify by extension.
#24
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
Apparently, Steve Jobs drove without tags

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/...license-plate/

Interesting story. But you'd have to question the lead:
Quote:
Steve Jobs was never one for ostentation[sic] displays of wealth.
Check out the yacht - ostentatious by any standard.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: oakum picking kitten poop stinks movies cam illegal dumping fines tivo hack roamio blacklight sex edd degree meaning mickey finns drink it ending place suffixes strong personalities mlle abbreviation lawn jarts super glue polyethylene viglinks api gerald ford dollars eharmony divorced expedia gift certificate fedex local facility pill index heat pots female mascots three point landing gassing groundhogs anakin's mom steel 2x4 mimi rogers message emu kosher long white hair lowes cuts wood tracheotomy vs ventilator rocky eye cut athf quotes jocularity mash cruzan coconut rum drinks words that sound like what they mean why did they call german soldiers jerry hard to believe in god let it be vs let it be naked how does a rice cooker know when it's done too much oil on dipstick most geologically stable place in north america space shuttle columbia crew remains american frozen foods review wear underwear with swimming trunks difference between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder why do i hear air in my ear are brita pitchers dishwasher safe do cats remember other cats no hot water in apartment how long after vicodin can i drink how fast can an arabian horse run how do 8 track tapes work what year would i be born in if i was 23 keurig coffee cup sizes ralph vaughan williams pronunciation tying off skin tag with dental floss run out of town on a rail natural sources of glucosamine family guy star wars porkins does feces have dna how to store panera bagels can bent rims be repaired green cap on car tires what to do with old encyclopedia books is a straw purchase on a vehicle illegal man on fire movie true story