Old 10-11-2012, 07:56 PM
I just had a molar extracted; how much pain should I be expecting?

My dentistry habits are not good. Being of British heritage, my only trips to the dentist have been limited to "when you're in pain." And so, I have not seen a dentist in 30 some years. My teeth aren't terrible, but they're not up to North American standards.

Anyway, I saw a dentist last week who put me on antibiotics so that I could have an abscessed molar pulled today. Let me tell you, I was absolutely amazed at how little pain was involved in pulling said molar, with local anesthetics. I'm now 8 or 9 hours after the fact and I'm not even in any residual pain.

Has dentistry come this far in pain prevention, or do I just have an amazing pain tolerance? I was worried sick how painful this was going to be, and then......nothing.

Tomorrow will I be writhing in pain?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Charter Member
Sounds not too different from my experience. I hadn't been to a dentist in my entire life for a number of reasons (financial, mostly) until I had to have an abscessed front tooth pulled last month. Honestly, the pain from the abscess itself was much worse than any of the post-extraction pain, and after a couple days I didn't even need the rest of the Tylenol 3 pills (acetaminophen + codeine) that i'd been prescribed.

I get the impression that there might be slightly more post-op pain involved with a molar (which i'll know for sure sometime soon since the dentist wants to do a lot more work in preparation for dentures), but unless you get a dry socket (which you shouldn't if you follow the dentist's instructions) the worst of the pain should be past you.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
I had a molar pulled in January - it wasn't abscessed or anything, but it had been bothering me for years, and I was glad to get it out (crown then root canal had not fixed the bothering). I had some pain that night after the freezing came out, and some pain over the next couple of weeks, but surprisingly low levels, easily handled with ibuprofen. I had a few episodes of searing pain in the socket, but I think that was result of eating on it too soon - that also cleared up quite quickly.

Don't get a dry socket - I had one with a wisdom tooth extraction, and it was much, MUCH more painful than this last extraction.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM
ReMember
You just had something that wasn't in good shape removed from your mouth. Presuming proper precautions people's pain prevalently pales.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM
They gave me demerol and I was still in pain.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Charter Member
Last time I had a tooth removed that was in pain, I was in less pain after the Novocaine wore off then I was before I walked into the office.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM
I had two back molars pulled last Monday. I'm in more pain now then I was a day after they were pulled. I ended up getting two dry sockets( followed everything dentist said, non smoker ) and I still got them. Today was the first day I didn't take pain pills ( must be getting better) I also had the sockets packed four times. Today they took the last packing out, I feel a dull pain. The funny thing is I had four wisdom teeth pulled 20 yrs ago ( I'm 36 ) all together I took 6 Advil the whole time. I guess every tooth and person is different.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Just had last molar pulled Monday. It's sore'ish when I move my mouth in certain ways. I take drugs overnight so I get a good night sleep. Just gotta be careful what I eat for the next couple days.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 AM
I had one (a lower) pulled recently and didn't even fill the hydrocodone prescription they gave me. I took a couple of ibuprofen after the local wore off and that was all. If you get a little aching try something like that first, but you probably won't have any trouble. Just don't get all complacent and try to chew on that site until your gums have had time to heal.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Charter Member
Leaffan, your experience mirrors mine in tooth extraction. Providing the dentist has frozen the necessary areas well (the most difficult part for the patient, IME), the actual extraction is not terribly bothersome, and there is little, if any, residual pain.

I had a molar pulled recently, and there was no residual pain. Though the dentist did say that if it occurred, he recommended nothing more complicated than Motrin. I got some on my way home from the dentist's, just in case, but didn't need it.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM
What is "dry socket?"
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
What is "dry socket?"
nm

I just Googled it. Now I'm paranoid.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 AM
Charter Member
Don't be paranoid, but do be careful - I had one once, and they are damned painful.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I've had extractions twice and one was very difficult for the dentist to remove. I still had negligible pain afterwards. I even did a major no-no and rinsed my mouth a lot (sorry, I do NOT like looking like a vampire with blood all over my teeth) because I was bleeding quite a bit afterwards and I still didn't have more than very minor discomfort (certainly no need for the Tylenol 3's I was prescribed). From what I've read I would highly not recommend doing what I did (rinsing your mouth a lot); just saying that it won't necessarily cause grief.

Last edited by Canadjun; 10-12-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadjun View Post
I've had extractions twice and one was very difficult for the dentist to remove. I still had negligible pain afterwards. I even did a major no-no and rinsed my mouth a lot (sorry, I do NOT like looking like a vampire with blood all over my teeth) because I was bleeding quite a bit afterwards and I still didn't have more than very minor discomfort (certainly no need for the Tylenol 3's I was prescribed). From what I've read I would highly not recommend doing what I did (rinsing your mouth a lot); just saying that it won't necessarily cause grief.
Hey, the instructions I have are to rinse my mouth often with a salt water solution, which I've been doing.

What's the Straight Dope on rinsing?

BTW: It's now 29 hours and little pain, and no blood in my rinse spitooie.

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Charter Member
After having a dry socket many years ago, I don't rinse after an extraction for a couple of days, just to make sure the clot stays in there as long as it needs to. I think they usually say 24 hours, but once burned...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I hope beer's OK.

ETA: I'm worried again. If there's no blood, does that mean there's a clot and I'm OK? I just tried to look in there, but I can't see much. Why did they tell me to rinse often with salt water? Oh God. More beer.

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Sounds like a clot has formed to me (but IANA dentist); dry socket is more likely to occur if you are a smoker. I can't remember if you've ever said you smoked. Also, don't suck thick liquids like milkshakes through a straw. The vacuum effect of that and smoking are the main reason dry socket occurs, according to my dentist.

I had an upper molar extracted earlier this year due to bone loss under one of the roots; it was gonna abscess eventually, so I had it proactively removed. I didn't need anything more than ibuprofen and acetaminophen. Beer is good too, but not with acetaminophen-it makes your liver cranky. My bleeding stopped within a few hours, and there was minimal pain for about a week.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Non smoker.

ETA: And on Aspirin, since I'm aware of the acetaminophen and alcohol story.

Last edited by Leaffan; 10-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you have it handled! Just eat your milkshakes with a spoon!

You are using this as an excuse to live on milkshakes, right?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheez_Whia View Post
Sounds like you have it handled! Just eat your milkshakes with a spoon!

You are using this as an excuse to live on milkshakes, right?
No. Not really a sweets person.

I'm living on soup and beer though. Tomorrow I graduate to curry and rice, and beer.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
I hope beer's OK.

ETA: I'm worried again. If there's no blood, does that mean there's a clot and I'm OK? I just tried to look in there, but I can't see much. Why did they tell me to rinse often with salt water? Oh God. More beer.
I think (based on not being a dentist) that you're okay now - my molar hole didn't bleed at all, either. If you're not bleeding or having pain, it sounds like you're doing okay.

I just remembered - they told me to keep the gauze packed in my molar hole for quite a while - I think it was the rest of the day. I don't think they told me to rinse at all.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 PM
One week update; I know you're all on pins and needles.

So far, so good.

My jaw still hurts, but nowhere near like 1 or 2 weeks ago. I can open my mouth and eat solid stuff on the right side, without pain. I can open my mouth and eat semi-solid stuff on the (dreaded) left side, without too much pain.

One thing I noticed. I used to have to swirl cold drinks to my right cheek, to avoid sensitivity in my left lower jaw. Now I just swig the drink with impunity. Damn the torpedoes, here comes the cold beer!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Great news! I think you're good to go!
Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM
Teeth shifting?

Question....for those of you who had a molar extracted (mine would be the very back molar on the right), did you notice any teeth shifting, or the top teeth growing out?

I think I'm getting a tooth extracted rather than RCd because of a lack of funds (I've been in pain from this tooth for the last 10 days - its horrendous), but I'm concerned about teeth shifting ...

Anyone notice any shifting in their mouth?
Old 03-22-2014, 01:57 PM
priprime: Since you PMd me, I've PMd you back. I have experienced nothing but relief since getting that sucker out.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:27 PM
I know this is a rezzed zombie, but since the rezzer has a legit question I might as well bump this zombie along too.

I have soft teeth by nature & have been to the dentist for lots of procedures over the years. After an extraction I've had my teeth shift noticeably by feel, but hardly any difference visually. I've had new pressure points form that in turn have formed new cavities on those spots so that's something to look out for.

Although as far as pain goes, the 1st day there's nothing, 2nd day it's noticeable & I take an ibuprofen or 2. The 3rd day is where I usually experience any pain & then I take the strong meds the dentist prescribes (2-3 pills) & the 4th day I might take an aspirin & that's it for pain meds for me. Never had a dry socket though & I pray I never do.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by priprime View Post
Question....for those of you who had a molar extracted (mine would be the very back molar on the right), did you notice any teeth shifting, or the top teeth growing out?
The neighboring teeth will move around a little bit after an extraction, but unless you're unlucky, such as having crowns that don't line up anymore, there shouldn't be too big of a problem.

(Says the guy who's having yet ANOTHER tooth removed next week -- oh God, where's the Men in Black with that little flashy thingy when you need 'em????)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 PM
I have had two molars and one premolar pulled - all under sedation because my teeth absolutely do NOT like to come out* and I am a wuss for dental pain. By far the most painful part of the experience (other than the below incident) was the muscle pain after sedation, which had nothing to do with the teeth.

*For my first extraction the surgeon insisted on no sedation and used a huge amount of novocaine and pulled and pulled and pulled and I was moaning and crying and it hurt so much even with the novocaine. He finally got pissed at me because the tooth wasn't coming out and because I was "making a fuss" so he sent me home and made me come back 2 days later for a sedated extraction. Did I mention that it was infected? Did I mention that he refused to give me pain killers and antibiotics until after the tooth was out? I found out after the tooth was finally out that the guy had a reputation for being a dick and a bit of a butcher but he was also the only oral surgeon who didn't have a 3-month wait list. No kidding.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Dentist here, the answer to pain and shifting are it depends. everyone is different.

Pain is very variable, anything form no meds needed to need narcotics for a week or more. If antiinflamatories (advil, motrin, aleive) will work that is usually better than narcotics or tylenol. Often heat also helps,but do what works for some people cold works better.

As for shifting it also is greatly variable. Generally theeth shift toward the front so having a very back tooth extracted usually isn't a problem. A lot depends on the patients occlusion. Some people it is so exact that the teeth can't shift others have more room for change. Uppers will sometimes supraerrupt but lowers seldom do. For most people shifting is faifly slow, a few years, but for others can be a just a few weeks or months.

Best of luck with those teeth.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 PM
My 8 year old had an abscessed tooth extracted last summer. She didn't complain of pain once it was gone - she's a real trooper, my girlie! We are having a spacer put in, though - the dentist and orthodontist are concerned about shifting and her teeth are pretty crooked already. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvidae View Post
My 8 year old had an abscessed tooth extracted last summer. She didn't complain of pain once it was gone - she's a real trooper, my girlie! We are having a spacer put in, though - the dentist and orthodontist are concerned about shifting and her teeth are pretty crooked already. Good luck!
yes for baby teeth space maintainers are important since all the teeth haven't errupted and the occlusion is changing. Without a space maintainer the premature loss of a tooth very often results in shifting of the teeth.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Molars

I got one of my upper left molars removed yesterday as well and I've got to say, it was the worst experience in my life. My dentist had to numb me several times yet it did not work. At some point I was kicking the air because of the pain I was in. I also got another tooth removed but without a problem. As of currently my mouth is in nopain but that may be because I took Ibuprofen earlier.

Last edited by AlanaDawn; 05-19-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:29 PM
I had all four of my molars extracted during my lunch hour, then went back to work. No pain.

On the other hand, I once had a sinus graft in preparation for some implants. That was a nightmare.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanaDawn View Post
I got one of my upper left molars removed yesterday as well and I've got to say, it was the worst experience in my life. My dentist had to numb me several times yet it did not work.
Are you a redhead?
Old 05-26-2016, 02:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanaDawn View Post
I got one of my upper left molars removed yesterday as well and I've got to say, it was the worst experience in my life. My dentist had to numb me several times yet it did not work. At some point I was kicking the air because of the pain I was in. I also got another tooth removed but without a problem. As of currently my mouth is in nopain but that may be because I took Ibuprofen earlier.
Some people are very hard to numb - I'm one of them. My first root canal was a nightmare.

Next time you have anything major done, discuss beforehand what they can do. Even just adding nitrous oxide to the mix can get you relaxed enough that the local numbing works better. Consider oral sedation as well - a combination of that and nitrous got me through some significant dental work.

For an extraction, I demand IV anesthesia. As I told the oral surgeon: it tends to scare the other patients when they see you chasing me down the hall as I shriek in terror.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:49 AM
Im kinda freakin out got a tooth pulled tuesday and then my molar pulled friday im terrified of a dry socket also when the molar was removed there was serious pain the dentist gave me a total of about 6 shots the first few he thought i was numb but he went to pull and it seriously hurt i told him and he finally found the spot but that shot was 100% the most pain i felt i almost ran i told him i wanted to go to sleep he closed the door and ripped it out. My state my adrenaline was pumping it had both my legs bouncing when pulled the tooth my left leg kicked out and stopped my right continued to bounce as i was still in great pain he filled my hole with anesthetic which calmed me the next day about 36 hours in i light rinsed my mouth with the prescribed mouth was gargled and spit and i thinl i spit dead gum it was pink looking like hamburger meat. I hope it was the clot from my tuesday tooth or maybe just dead skin i have slight pain now my bone is not showing but i am very scared i will get a dry socket from that moment would i already know is that somethinf that hits u at that moment???? Also my inner thigh left leg fells somewhat liks a pulled muscle could these be related

Last edited by Essex; 06-26-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Also my inner thigh left leg fells somewhat liks a pulled muscle could these be related
Yes. In fact I think you might be dying.

Last edited by Leaffan; 06-26-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:07 AM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=rLj68ho6Q48
Quote:
College Dental teacher:

Today we are going to discuss...

Molars!!!

[Students go wild!]
Well, this zombie was already answered, nothing to add, just that I wanted to link to that when ever molars would be the subject.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Yes. In fact I think you might be dying.
What makes u say that bc ive said that more times than i can count or is this just a troll attack
Old 06-26-2016, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post
What makes u say that bc ive said that more times than i can count or is this just a troll attack
He's just pulling your leg.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Charter Member
The bad news is that it appears to have affected your ability to punctuate. That might never come back.

Link to other thread where I used up my quota of serious answers for today:
http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=796825
Old 06-26-2016, 09:51 AM
I had very low levels of very easy to tolerate pain after extractions. I finally had them all extracted and it was no big deal.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:31 PM
I had one of my molars extracted today..it was painless..it has been 8 hours without pain,not a little bit
Old 11-06-2016, 12:01 AM
I had all four of my molars extracted on my lunch hour, then went back to work. No pain, except when I tried to eat something. Guess I was lucky.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I had all four of my molars extracted on my lunch hour, then went back to work. No pain, except when I tried to eat something. Guess I was lucky.
Panache, did you know that you already posted in this thread? You said the same thing, etc. in #34.

fyi
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwildheaven View Post
Panache, did you know that you already posted in this thread? You said the same thing, etc. in #34.
Several months ago - I'd give him a no-senility-yet pass on that one . Zombie threads have nailed many an unwary poster.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 11-06-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 PM
A few years later....

Hello all..i am about to have a molar pulled and was looking for info on the actual procedure and what it feels like (yes..im scared..lol)..somehow i ended up here (Google),for what i have been reading it is different for each patient,however,i have a quite peculiar concern,maybe im just overthinking or looking for trouble where there is none but...is there a..risk..if it can be called that way,that when the dentist is pulling or yanking on said molar,the "pliers" can like..slip and hit another tooth or something potentialy breaking it and stuff? is there actuall pulling motion or does the "tool" used just wedge or something so it comes out? just registered for this..have had dental work before,not affraid of the needle,even had a root canal done..but never an extraction....any help?
Old 07-29-2017, 08:38 PM
Welcome Steinbrenner, as with most things the answer is it varies. Teeth and bone varies. Generally front teeth have one root, premolars one or two roots and molars two or three roots. Canines especially uppers have very long roots. Molar area tends to have thicker bone than anterior teeth. lower thicker than upper. Usually the dentist starts with an elevator(looks sort of like a screwdriver with a curved tip). It is placed next to the tooth at the gum line and rotated in a front back motion. This helps loosen the tooth. The forceps(pliers) are then used in a side to side movement to work the tooth out of the bone. Slipping of the forceps can happen but the chance of breaking an adjacent tooth that way is very slim. In 31 years I've never broken a tooth that way. I have broken the porcelain on two adjacent teeth when using an elevator. It is more likely that if the tooth is not loose enough or is decayed the crown of the tooth being extracted could break. Then of course one has to extract the roots usually this is a bit tougher but works basically the same.

During the procedure the patient should be numb. Sounds simple but some dentists are better at it than others. There will be pressure and you will feel that even when numb, how much of course depends on the tooth and bone. Sometimes there are little cracking type sounds. In the great majority of cases things go just fine.

Best of luck with your extraction.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Thanks a lot for such a knowledgeable answer,i have a pretty clear idea of how it works now and what to expect,and i guess it will be the breaking type as you explain,since the molar is decayed,it seems kind of dark gray colored and almost half of it broke off already,i will surely follow my dentist instructions and hope for the best..Thx