Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 11-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The Brink
Posts: 11,301
What does it take to hurt Superman (ASIDE from Kryptonite)?

Like it says in the title: What does it take to hurt or kill Superman, aside from Kryptonite?

(No "need answer fast"...this time.)

Now, I realize that this may be a difficult question to answeróDC comics continuity being stitched together out of a dozen different universes over 70+ years, AND it periodically gets rewritten. But I'd be interested in finding out at least a ballpark estimate.

I've never been a big Superman fan, bit I've picked up a few tidbits over the years: He's supposed to be vulnerable to magic or magic items; the limits of early Superman's invulnerability were that "only an exploding shell could pierce his skin"; and back in the 90s, Doomsday beat him to death/near death with brute force, at least enough to leave him bruised and bloodied.

(Also, of course, being exposed to the rays of a red star rather than a yellow one, negating his superpowers and leaving him as vulnerable as a regular human, but I'm not counting that.)

So, I ask you...if I need to beat up Superman but have no Kryptonite, what are my options?
#2
Old 11-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando
Posts: 3,927
Use Magic, or a kryptonian weapon.
#3
Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 26,201
Actually, that brings up something I've wondered for a while... Do we know for a stone-cold fact that Kryptonite will kill Superman? They always act like it will in the comics and in Smallville, but given the number of times he's been exposed to it, it hasn't tended to actually kill him.

Where does this come from?
#4
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 38,406
I recall one comic where, as a teenager, he had to get a vaccination. School requirement. But needles wouldn't pierce his skin. I think he solved the problem by finding a doctor so near-sighted that he did not notice the needle breaking. He then flew at lightning speed into some sort of sharp object, ramming it with his upper arm. This left a very faint vaccination-looking mark.

So I'm guessing nothing short of a supernova explosion.
#5
Old 11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 8,596
Psychologically he should be as vulnerable as anyone, I'd concentrate on either hurting things he loves that are vulnerable or attacking him psychologically.
#6
Old 11-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,306
A sneek attack by Supergirl or some other Kryptonian?
__________________
Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.
#7
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,981
An evenly matched opponent can hurt or kill him. Read the Doomsday arc for that.
#8
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Red sun radiation is the obvious first answer: not just red light, but the particular wavelengths that apparently force out the energy his solar-battery cells have soaked up and which he cannot metabolize for super-powers.

Magic is of varying effectiveness. Sometimes he's just not particularly invulnerable to it, but it still takes some doing to hurt him; sometimes it effs him up entirely.

Hearing ultrasonics can hurt him, though they don't hurt any part of his body than his ears. I've always fanwanked it that super-hearing and invulnerability are incompatible, so when he turns on the former he unconsciously deactivates the latter. Likewise bright lights and perhaps lasers directed straight at his eyes might be painful if he was using telescopic or microscopic vision at the time.

And of course if you're super-strong yourself, and have time, brute force can do it.
#9
Old 11-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,077
Tease him about the fact that his real parents are dead, and he's ADOPTED.

Wait, does hurting his feelings even count?
#10
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Tease him about the fact that his real parents are dead, and he's ADOPTED.

Wait, does hurting his feelings even count?
You're going to taunt a guy who can set you on fire by LOOKING at you?
#11
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,007
Enough of pretty much anything can hurt him, at least post-Crisis. Big jolts of electricity seem relatively effective, at least at causing him pain and stunning him a bit, and energy weapons can mark him. It takes a lot to do him any significant harm, though. He's also at least somewhat vulnerable to psychic assaults. Trapping him in a dream seems popular. That might incapacitate him long enough to come up with something.

If you're looking to kill him without resorting to kryptonite or red sunlight, your best shot is probably asphyxiation. He has to breathe (again, post-Crisis). It would be tricky, of course--his invulnerability protects him from decompression, and he can probably hold his breath for a long time, so you would have to be able to keep him in an oxygen-free environment for a significant period.

If you've got space-capability, you could deploy a decoy ship with a phony distress signal at least a few light-minutes from the nearest breathable atmosphere. Rig a self-destruct for the ship that will wreck whatever he's using for life support--a suit, or just a mask and oxygen tanks, will be far more fragile than he is. When he takes the bait, blow the ship and leave him stranded too far out to reach air before he loses consciousness.

If you're not Lex Luthor, or Batman in contingency mode, and are constrained by your resources, you might try an old-fashioned moral-dilemma deathtrap. Set up an airtight structure in the middle of a public and densely populated place and lure him into investigating it. Seal it on him and flush it with a mix of argon and nerve gas. If he breaks out, it will flood the area with the nerve gas, killing large numbers of innocent people. Then you hope he doesn't figure out a way to escape without releasing the gas before he passes out. It's dicey, of course--heroes get out of stuff like that all the time--but it is a way that a non-powered individual with realistic (though substantial) resources could at least make the attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Magic is of varying effectiveness. Sometimes he's just not particularly invulnerable to it, but it still takes some doing to hurt him; sometimes it effs him up entirely.
Generally, I would expect direct applications of magic to bypass his invulnerability, while evoked effects (fireballs, lightning, and so forth) would affect him more-or-less like natural versions of those phenomena. So hitting him with a fireball would be roughly as effective as using a flamethrower on him--i.e., it would annoy him and possibly interfere with his vision a bit. A spell to turn him into an aardvark, on the other hand, would probably work...though it might leave you with a super-strong, invulnerable aardvark.

Unfortunately, the writers have been nowhere near that logical.
#12
Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Enough of pretty much anything can hurt him, at least post-Crisis. Big jolts of electricity seem relatively effective, at least at causing him pain and stunning him a bit, and energy weapons can mark him. It takes a lot to do him any significant harm, though. He's also at least somewhat vulnerable to psychic assaults. Trapping him in a dream seems popular. That might incapacitate him long enough to come up with something.

If you're looking to kill him without resorting to kryptonite or red sunlight, your best shot is probably asphyxiation. He has to breathe (again, post-Crisis). It would be tricky, of course--his invulnerability protects him from decompression, and he can probably hold his breath for a long time, so you would have to be able to keep him in an oxygen-free environment for a significant period.

If you've got space-capability, you could deploy a decoy ship with a phony distress signal at least a few light-minutes from the nearest breathable atmosphere. Rig a self-destruct for the ship that will wreck whatever he's using for life support--a suit, or just a mask and oxygen tanks, will be far more fragile than he is. When he takes the bait, blow the ship and leave him stranded too far out to reach air before he loses consciousness.

If you're not Lex Luthor, or Batman in contingency mode, and are constrained by your resources, you might try an old-fashioned moral-dilemma deathtrap. Set up an airtight structure in the middle of a public and densely populated place and lure him into investigating it. Seal it on him and flush it with a mix of argon and nerve gas. If he breaks out, it will flood the area with the nerve gas, killing large numbers of innocent people. Then you hope he doesn't figure out a way to escape without releasing the gas before he passes out. It's dicey, of course--heroes get out of stuff like that all the time--but it is a way that a non-powered individual with realistic (though substantial) resources could at least make the attempt.


Generally, I would expect direct applications of magic to bypass his invulnerability, while evoked effects (fireballs, lightning, and so forth) would affect him more-or-less like natural versions of those phenomena. So hitting him with a fireball would be roughly as effective as using a flamethrower on him--i.e., it would annoy him and possibly interfere with his vision a bit. A spell to turn him into an aardvark, on the other hand, would probably work...though it might leave you with a super-strong, invulnerable aardvark.

Unfortunately, the writers have been nowhere near that logical.
Doesn't bother me. Magic SHOULD have rules that are difficult to follow logically.

Your deathtrap won't work, by the way. Even the Man of Steel Superman was pretty much immune to all terrestrial poisons, able to confine masses of toxic gasses in his lungs without harm simply by breathing in, and capable of doing multiple other stunts during said inhalation. Kal's just going to use bust out of the cage, inhale the gas before it can do any harm, and fly up to the edge of space to exhale it.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 11-25-2012 at 03:27 AM.
#13
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 24,534
I've only read a very little bit of Superman, and I still don't understand why some things "count" in comic books and some don't, but getting all up IN our yellow sun did him in in All-Star Superman. Maybe. Sort of.
#14
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: The Brink
Posts: 11,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTaurusSHO94 View Post
An evenly matched opponent can hurt or kill him. Read the Doomsday arc for that.
I was wondering about that...is there anything like a precise definition of what "evenly matched" attack amounts to? In Gigajoules, if possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
If you're looking to kill him without resorting to kryptonite or red sunlight, your best shot is probably asphyxiation. He has to breathe (again, post-Crisis). It would be tricky, of course--his invulnerability protects him from decompression, and he can probably hold his breath for a long time, so you would have to be able to keep him in an oxygen-free environment for a significant period.
Hmmm...it almost sounds like my old friend Nitrogen asphyxiation might do the trick. If Kryptonian physiology in that regard is anything like that of humans (iffy, true), Superman might be suffocated without him noticing anything was wrong until he lost consciousness.

I can think of at least six different ways that that scheme would fail, though, depending on how clever the writer was feeling. Not counting the ol' "good, he's at our mercy! Now let's tie him to a death machine that doesn't work!" standby.
#15
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Miskatonic University
Posts: 11,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I've only read a very little bit of Superman, and I still don't understand why some things "count" in comic books and some don't, but getting all up IN our yellow sun did him in in All-Star Superman. Maybe. Sort of.
No, being in the Sun saved him, and he is "currently" keeping the fusion reaction going by hand.
#16
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
Turn him into a monkey.
#17
Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
No, being in the Sun saved him, and he is "currently" keeping the fusion reaction going by hand.
To be specific:

Kal flies close to the Sun on a rescue (something he wouldn't have blinked at in the Silver Age, during which he sometimes went SWIMMING in stars). Being so close to the star results in his getting supercharged with solar energy. In the short term he becomes a lot more powerful, but this is just temporary; his cells have taken in more juice than they can handle, and their structure starts breaking down, resulting in his slower becoming weaker; he's not able to stop this process, let alone reverse it, and believes it will eventually be fatal. For the usual convoluted comic book reasons, hte Sun is damaged in such a fashon that it will not be able to support life on Earth. This clearly changes the sort of radiation it's putting out (the color changes from gold to blue). Kal flies into the sun to use his powers to repair it; implicitly the different radiation is better for him and begins to heal the damage done by the initial supercharge. Nonetheless he's generally thought to be dead, but Lois doesn't believe it.
#18
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
You're going to taunt a guy who can set you on fire by LOOKING at you?
Well, I could hope that it won't work through tears, but I think you've got a pretty good point.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 11-25-2012 at 10:59 AM.
#19
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 28,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I recall one comic where, as a teenager, he had to get a vaccination. School requirement. But needles wouldn't pierce his skin. I think he solved the problem by finding a doctor so near-sighted that he did not notice the needle breaking. He then flew at lightning speed into some sort of sharp object, ramming it with his upper arm. This left a very faint vaccination-looking mark.
I read one where he gathered as many different pieces of kryptonite as he could, and exposed himself to them (in series, not all at once). The theory was that if he had been exposed to a specific chunk of kryptonite, after he recovered from the exposure that specific chunk would no longer have any effect on him. This process left him very weakened. He did recover, but while he was convalescing he took advantage of his weakened state to get both a shot AND a haircut.
#20
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 27,035
Homeopathy. Continuously diluting your remedy for decades would make it super powerful.
#21
Old 11-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Your deathtrap won't work, by the way. Even the Man of Steel Superman was pretty much immune to all terrestrial poisons, able to confine masses of toxic gasses in his lungs without harm simply by breathing in, and capable of doing multiple other stunts during said inhalation. Kal's just going to use bust out of the cage, inhale the gas before it can do any harm, and fly up to the edge of space to exhale it.
His immunity to the poison is irrelevant; it's just there as a threat to the the people around him, should he choose to break out. The point of the trap is to confine him in an oxygen-free space that he is unable or unwilling to break out of.

As to inhaling all the gas, I don't believe it has been established, post-Crisis, that he can break physics in that particular way. I don't actually follow Superman comics, though, so it could have been. Regardless, you should be able to prevent it by adding some smoke to the mix; it's canon (old canon, admittedly) that Supes can't inhale smoke. His explanation, as I recall, was that Kryptonian physiology prevented it--some sort of reflex to keep them from inhaling dangerous particulates, I suppose.
#22
Old 11-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
His immunity to the poison is irrelevant; it's just there as a threat to the the people around him, should he choose to break out. The point of the trap is to confine him in an oxygen-free space that he is unable or unwilling to break out of.

As to inhaling all the gas, I don't believe it has been established, post-Crisis, that he can break physics in that particular way. I don't actually follow Superman comics, though, so it could have been. Regardless, you should be able to prevent it by adding some smoke to the mix; it's canon (old canon, admittedly) that Supes can't inhale smoke. His explanation, as I recall, was that Kryptonian physiology prevented it--some sort of reflex to keep them from inhaling dangerous particulates, I suppose.
I was referring to a specific post-Crisis comic--it was Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries, the reboot-- when I mentioned him inhaling gas that way. He did it in his first PC encounter with Batman, to save Bats and a group of thugs from poisonous gas the thugs' boss. Nobody got killed of course; Supes handled the matter as I describe.

I don't recall Superman ever being unable to inhale smoke. I can recall plenty of occasions in the Silver, Bronze, and post-Crisis ages in which he did just that.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 11-25-2012 at 12:03 PM.
#23
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: In the Utter East
Posts: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
If you're not Lex Luthor, or Batman in contingency mode, and are constrained by your resources, you might try an old-fashioned moral-dilemma deathtrap. Set up an airtight structure in the middle of a public and densely populated place and lure him into investigating it. Seal it on him and flush it with a mix of argon and nerve gas. If he breaks out, it will flood the area with the nerve gas, killing large numbers of innocent people. Then you hope he doesn't figure out a way to escape without releasing the gas before he passes out. It's dicey, of course--heroes get out of stuff like that all the time--but it is a way that a non-powered individual with realistic (though substantial) resources could at least make the attempt.
Easy escape. Lift the box from the inside, fly to the edge of space, break out of the box releasing the gas harmlessly, hunt down maker of box.
#24
Old 11-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,173
Poison Ivy managed to mind control him, and that's not even her go-to schtick.
#25
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Charter Member
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 73,050
Given that it was Poison Ivy, I presume that the mind control was achieved through some plant-derived drug? That sets a precedent for him maybe being affected by other drugs.
#26
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 57,677
Throw a gun at him. He'd stand there and take the bullets, but on the TV show he always flinched when the Bad Guy threw the gun at him.
#27
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Poison Ivy managed to mind control him, and that's not even her go-to schtick.
I think there was some kryptonite involved, though I'm not sure.

I think if you want to kill the son of Jor-El, the best way is to manipulate him into killing a human being. Any human being will doe. The point is not to faff about. No robots and no illusions allowed; just trick him into killing a person. He'll do himself in afterwards, if not killing himself then at least finding a way to remove his own powers.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 11-25-2012 at 02:01 PM.
#28
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 12,438
He can't die. Oh, you could chop him into little bits, but like Sherlock Holmes before him, DC would find a way to bring him back. Again.

You might be able to use his weakness to trap him. Use a Kryptonite lock, he will be weak against those. But their weakness is a pen cap. I'll bet Clark Kent carries a pen (standard 1940s nerd equipment), not sure if he transfers his pocket contents.
#29
Old 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
I don't recall Superman ever being unable to inhale smoke. I can recall plenty of occasions in the Silver, Bronze, and post-Crisis ages in which he did just that.
It's rather obscure. It was in a minor story, maybe from the early 80s, but I can't find the issue. Superman was doing a charity thing; he told the audience that there was something any one of them could do that he couldn't, and a donation would buy them a chance to guess what it was for a prize. There were a number of guesses--the only one I recall offhand was someone guessing incorrectly that he couldn't shave. (He had prepped for that one by growing a stubble under a red sun lamp and making a razor of some unnamed Kryptonian metal.) He gets called away to deal with a fire, which provides a clue to the answer, but no one gets it right...until after the event, when Perry tosses in a donation and reveals that he has put the pieces together. I forget if he puffed cigar smoke at Supes, or offered him a cigar, or what, but they establish that the thing Supes can't do is smoke, because Kryptonians can't inhale smoke.

I'm sure it's been contradicted or actively retconned any number of times, if only because most of the writers probably didn't know about it, but at one point, we had it right from the horse's mouth.

It occurs to me that it might be fun to see an issue/episode in which Superman gets caught between dueling fans, with his powers shifting as they remember and cite different bits of canon.

CBG1: "He can't lift that! It was established in episode [X] of [series Y] that his maximum lift capacity is [Z]."
*Supes goes bug-eyed and collapses under the building he's carrying.*
CBG2: "He was younger in that episode. As an adult, he can lift it."
*Supes heaves the building back up, looking confused.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepicheep View Post
Easy escape. Lift the box from the inside, fly to the edge of space, break out of the box releasing the gas harmlessly, hunt down maker of box.
I said "structure", not box. Why would you make it liftable? By design, it needs to be relatively fragile, so that breaking out will release all the gas. Lifting it would presumably cause enough damage to release the gas. Also, if you put it in the middle of a building, like a mall or office building, he'd either have to smash it out of the building, or lift the whole place, people and all. The latter would sort of defeat the purpose.

Still, as I said, heroes get out of this sort of thing all the time. I'm not offering it as a foolproof Superman-killer. It's just something an ordinary human could try that would at least have the potential to do the job.
#30
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Tx.
Posts: 2,969
For Silver Age Superman, it was pretty much Kryptonite, magic or red sun energy. There was also something called Q Energy that was introduced in like the mid 70's, which was just a lame attempt to add some variety to the constant use of krytonite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Enough of pretty much anything can hurt him, at least post-Crisis. Big jolts of electricity seem relatively effective, at least at causing him pain and stunning him a bit, and energy weapons can mark him. It takes a lot to do him any significant harm, though. He's also at least somewhat vulnerable to psychic assaults. Trapping him in a dream seems popular. That might incapacitate him long enough to come up with something.
Yeah, Byrne was also doing a kinda subtle thing where his invulnerability was willpower enhanced: his skin, bone and muscle were very, very tough and it was almost impossible to physically injure him, but attacks that caught him by surprise would cause him pain, stun him, or even knock him out. I say it was kinda subtle because no one ever really talked about it...it just seemed liked shots to the back would have more of an effect, or in the case of massive electricity, it would incapacitate him, until he stopped everything else and basically concentrated on not being harmed.

Of course power creep set in not too long after that. And since I don't keep up with DC much at all nowadays I have no idea what the current New 52 Superman's power limits are.
#31
Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Charter Member
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 73,050
That's of a piece with Byrne's silly insistence that all of Superman's powers were actually psionic.
#32
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 32,952
My impression is that not even Kryptonite by itself would kill him. It just makes him incredibly weak and sick. And he does seem to acclimate to it, to some extent. There are times when someone just has enough Kryptonite to make Superman about human in strength (even if another color of Kryptonite would make more sense).

I personally am a big fan of earlier Superman who always seemed to just barely have enough strength and energy to deal with what came his way. Like those old cartoons, where he has to brace himself to tear open an airplane or punch back a laser that is aimed at him. In that universe, it would seem that most stuff could potentially kill him if he wasn't smart enough (and, yes, determined enough) to deal with it.

Last edited by BigT; 11-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.
#33
Old 11-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 22,292
What does it take to hurt Superman (ASIDE from Kryptonite)?

Batman, if he's prepared.
#34
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
What does it take to hurt Superman (ASIDE from Kryptonite)?

Batman, if he's prepared.
Bats' preparations for Superman always involve Kryptonite.

Anyway, the Batman thing is overrated. He can handle a mind-controlled Supes being used as a puppet, sure. But if Kal-El truly turned rogue and decided to take Martha & Tom's boy out, one glance of heat vision leaves Bruce a pile of ashes.
#35
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald the Rhymer View Post
Bats' preparations for Superman always involve Kryptonite.

Anyway, the Batman thing is overrated. He can handle a mind-controlled Supes being used as a puppet, sure. But if Kal-El truly turned rogue and decided to take Martha & Tom's boy out, one glance of heat vision leaves Bruce a pile of ashes.
Right, so when Superman is no longer Superman, he'll win. Their egos and morals, of course, are just as integral to the fight as their powers and weapons.
#36
Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,404
PC Superman you'd need a plot device weapon.

Post-crisis you just need some magic or someone more powerful like the Silver Surfer.
#37
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochdale View Post
PC Superman you'd need a plot device weapon.

Post-crisis you just need some magic or someone more powerful like the Silver Surfer.
Even pre-Crisis, there were characters more powerful than Superman. Vartox handed him his ass in every single encounter, for instance, and Kal's internal monologue always made it clear that he, Kal, knew he was simply outpowered. Mongul took Supes down in their first battle, though Jon & Martha's boy did better in rematches. Validus was more than a match for Super(boy) and Mon-El at the same time. Faora what's-her-name from the Phantom Zone kicked his ass on at least one occasion. I'd list more but I don't want to further expose my geekery.

Last edited by Skald the Rhymer; 11-25-2012 at 10:29 PM.
#38
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Venial Sin City
Posts: 12,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochdale View Post
PC Superman you'd need a plot device weapon.

Post-crisis you just need some magic or someone more powerful like the Silver Surfer.
Even Superman can be laid low by Unauthorized Similarity Litigation Man.
#39
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 11,573
I remember a comic in which Supes flew from our solar system to another. He took a tank of air with him, only needing to draw breath once every several hours. But it seemed as if that one breath was essential to his survival. So if someone sabotaged the air tank, to fail half way between stars, he'd die.

In The Dark Knight Returns a nuclear bomb nearly killed him, and he was still weakened several days later.
#40
Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 AM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Mitt
Posts: 14,062
Benadryl's Kryptonite SoftGels™. Surely even Supes gets bouts of insomnia; a runny nose; dry, irritated eyes? If the kryptonite doesn't immediately get him, the diphenhydramine will. That stuff makes anyone delerious. Anyone. He'd try to fly off the top of the Daily Planet in a drug-induced fever dream and hit the pavement hundreds of stories below.

Last edited by cmyk; 11-26-2012 at 02:28 AM.
#41
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 14,754
He's photosynthetic. Total darkness over a period of several days. Let his batteries run down.

Then again, I think Byrne had something about him being able to completely metabolize the food he eats. Maybe he could supplement his energy reserves with random organic matter. So, total darkness and nothing which he could use for chemical energy.
#42
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 27,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsguinea View Post
He's photosynthetic. Total darkness over a period of several days. Let his batteries run down.
Yes, but how do you restrain him in the meantime? Seems to me that if you have the tech to confine him in one place, you have the tech to kill him outright, and doing so quickly is a better idea than dragging things out, thus giving him the opportunity to suss out a way to escape.
#43
Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 25,752
Luthor did a number on him with the powerstone back in Superman #17 (which volume I have safely stored in my vault.) He did it again in Action comics #47 (which sadly I lack a genuine copy of.)
#44
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,731
Screw around with the memory crystals in his Fortress of Solitude so when he goes to talk to his mom, she'll tell him that mixed marriages never work so he'll get in the power removing chamber so he can sleep with Lois lane and then POW!
#45
Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 20,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
A spell to turn him into an aardvark, on the other hand, would probably work...though it might leave you with a super-strong, invulnerable aardvark.
So...like this?
#46
Old 11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,376
How about getting him to sleep in a closed room in Korea with an electric fan running?
#47
Old 11-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 11,573
Bet him that he can't rip his own head off.
#48
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Charter Member
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 73,050
Quote:
Quoth Lochdale:

Post-crisis you just need some magic or someone more powerful like the Silver Surfer.
The Silver Surfer would have an extremely difficult time defeating Superman. The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader.
#49
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The Silver Surfer would have an extremely difficult time defeating Superman. The reason why is left as an exercise for the reader.
The Surfer would agonize and introspect until Superman just flies away?
#50
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ___\o/___(\___
Posts: 11,573
The five point palm exploding heart technique.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: routable ip address lotte japanese eating chicken cartilage hershey highway plunger detonator flashing oil light devil erotica penske vs budget first vhs watershed television biggest poop pictures no 9 coal yak shi mash sympathetic period 1095 kitchen knife untangle phone cords small silver balls columbia vertex csi acronym jim rome sucks tourneau return policy ethics songs tzatziki sauce uses tungsten carbide sword james randi pedophile deagle 50 pinnical armor mylanta recall pornhublive accounts drop safety mancer types tenor duets philadelphia uncirculated penny pistols of ww2 can you drink saline what does pop that p mean why do i want to join the marines carlos rossi sweet red how many holes do a female have what does j mean at the end of an email starting a car that has been sitting for 5 years what does greek style mean ups package received by carrier how to store cut bell peppers what are riot shields made of is an amoeba an animal high-powered flashlight wow amazon dr. strange what happens to unclaimed lottery winnings what animals eyes reflect red at night richard castle author ghost writer sentence using all the letters of the alphabet neutering a 7 year old dog small claims judgement credit report leftover pork chops recipe ideas 14 diaries of the great war netflix how can pneumonia kill you salt water freezes at what temperature what car rental companies let you drive out of state toenail detached from nail bed weak hands in the morning changing battery in timex indiglo watch homemade chewing tobacco alternatives a ram sam sam meaning what language does arnold schwarzenegger speak convert mp4 to mov handbrake i killed my dog on purpose basic instinct sharon stone pussy can a .357 shoot .38 animal that screams like a woman squiggly line on keyboard name peter paul mounds candy bar