Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Does Senator Susan Collins have a speech impediment? If so, what is it?

Per the OP title, I am curious as to Sen. Collins' strange speech patterns. She speaks very, I don't know, slowly and rather haltingly; as if such an endeavor poses some difficulty for her. Does she suffer from any known speech impediment? Or any related cognitive issue/disorder that would explain it? Or is it just a quirk?
Advertisements
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 PM
She has a form of spasmodic dysphonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBill View Post
She has a form of spasmodic dysphonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spasmodic_dysphonia
Ahh! Thank you for the prompt reply.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 AM
Spasmodic dysphonia

Yes, Collins appears to have this voice disorder. She also has a lisp that is not part of spasmodic dysphonia. The lisp is caused by the forward posture of her tongue that is frequently anchored behind her lower teeth. That is an orofacial myofunctional disorder.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 AM
Huh. I almost started a thread about this a few days ago. I've noticed this for years and wondered. This is the same problem Diane Rehm, of NPR fame, has. I think hers is more sever than Collins'.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Fast talkers

I understand completely Susan Collins speech, I prefer it to all the fast talkers. If you are having problems maybe you should have your hearing tested.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM
Robert Kennedy Jr. has the same condition. It's more pronounced.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLapp View Post
I understand completely Susan Collins speech, I prefer it to all the fast talkers. If you are having problems maybe you should have your hearing tested.
no u do
Old 07-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Nobody said that they have problems. It's an honest question and was answered promptly. You, on the other hand, seem to have nothing to contribute to the discussion.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Quote:
The weird thing is this person joined just to make this one, stupid post.