Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Home improvement to help shave legs in standup shower?

I moved into a new place, and it's great except for one thing. The shower is a stand-up with no tub. There are no corners to put my leg up on to shave, it's just straight walls. I'm sure there's a home improvement solution to this, but I can't think of anything offhand (besides one of those shower chairs for the disabled, and those are kind of ugly and take up a lot of space). Do any home improvement stores sell some kind of corner shower unit that might help with this problem?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
That would be one of these that you're looking for.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm a guy, but why would you need to put your leg up on something to shave it?

And anyway, if this is a requirement wouldn't a simple plastic foot stool in the shower work? IKEA has many of these things.

Last edited by Leaffan; 01-03-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM
You can get one of these for $15, or for about $50, you can get a three-step variant....with the added functionality of being able to change a lightbulb on the same device.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM
What about one of those hand grips that attach with suction cups? Like this. I'm envisioning sticking it to the shower wall about two feet up from the floor (or whatever height is comfortable for you). The one problem I see is that it's not very wide.

Once stores start carrying patio type stuff, you may well find a small resin table or plant stand that would work.

ETA: Holy cow, Sierra Indigo! Great find!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
That's just the way it is.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Quote:

And anyway, if this is a requirement wouldn't a simple plastic foot stool in the shower work? IKEA has many of these things.
Because you either stand up bent over at the waist to shave your ankles, or you crouch in a slippery tiled shower stall to shave your ankles otherwise.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM
Get your partner to do the bending and shaving.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Good suggestions so far, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Because the only chicks who shave are ones with boyfriends, amirite.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 AM
while Sierra Indigo's excellent google is right on the money I would go with Oakminster's suggestion. My reasoning is that you're shaving while in a shower full of soapy water and those suction cup shower accessories can and do come loose. Slipping with a razor in your hand could be bad on a number of levels.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Maybe you could stand on your head in the corner of the shower and shave upside down? That seems about as practical as any other solution that doesn't involve just buying a cheap plastic IKEA step to use.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM
I thought it would be cool if they sold corner-shaped porcelain-shelf doohickers to put your foot up on. A stool will definitely work, though. I found this stepstool at the ace site, I think it's better because it's taller (and cheap enough).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Indigo View Post
That would be one of these that you're looking for.
Am I the only one who imagines that thing falling and the the girl who was using it headbutting/faceplanting the wall. I don't think I would trust something like that to put my weight on.

I'd sooner go with a step stool or shower chair type thing.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Am I the only one who imagines that thing falling...
...or sucking the tile right off of the wall. That's a pretty big suction-cup base and a pretty big lever arm, allowing the user to put a lot of torque on whatever tile it's attached to.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
In The Man Who Wasn't There, Billy Bob Thornton shaves Frances McDormand's (his wife) legs.

Watch the movie! Under appreciated Coen brothers work.

(more)Serious answer: a plastic milk crate?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Am I the only one who imagines that thing falling and the the girl who was using it headbutting/faceplanting the wall. I don't think I would trust something like that to put my weight on.
No, that's exactly what I thought too. Probably cut the hell out of her leg with her the razor while she's at it.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
While I can't vouch for it personally, the same product is sold in adult stores for, um, recreation in the shower. I'm a bit dubious as to the safety myself, but apparently it can take quite a bit of weight.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Charter Member
I used one of those suction cup things mentioned by Sierra Indigo and it didn't work very well. My shower walls were tiled with a faintly rough tile so maybe that was the problem. I finally bought one of these and it worked great. (All past tense because my current shower has a built-in seat which is wonderful.)
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Perhaps the OP could take up yoga to improve her balance.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
My shower stall is small, so I resorted to shaving outside the shower. Lather up one leg, prop it up on the toilet, shave then rinse razor in the sink. Hop in shower for final rinse and scrub a dub dub.

What a PITA. Now I have given up my razors completely. I use Nair or similar products. Appply to hairy surfaces, wait five minutes ( I end up wiping down the sink while I wait). Then scrape or rinse off. Seems to last longer too...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

I'd sooner go with a step stool or shower chair type thing.
It might do better than you think. That's a large suction cup, and it looks rather like the ones on the temporary grab bar we installed when I broke my foot. That grab bar held on surprisingly well (a year later it was still there).
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
It might do better than you think. That's a large suction cup, and it looks rather like the ones on the temporary grab bar we installed when I broke my foot. That grab bar held on surprisingly well (a year later it was still there).
Come to think of it, the temp grab bar would also work for such purposes. If that thing could help my hefty carcass balance, it should be usable for a single foot for a minute or two.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
But that's two suction cups and closer to the wall, so more surface area and less torque.

Imagine if you wanted to (purposefully) pull one of them off the wall. Would it be easier to pull the grab bar off the wall or that step thing (by standing on it)?

I'm not saying it's actually going to give out, it's more that if it would give out, the user would fall right into the wall since they're already leaning towards it and they're hands are too occupied to catch themselves.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I have this one in my shower.

argh.

http://uline.com/Product/Detail/...FYKPPAodviMArQ

Last edited by Lightlystarched; 01-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
That's a perfect opportunity to practice your balance. I just stand on one foot and bend the other knee.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
I just put my foot on the wall at about waist height to help me balance. Not sure why something else would be necessary.

This is like the cereal milk thread. "There are people who don't do it exactly like I do?!?!"
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
While I can't vouch for it personally, the same product is sold in adult stores for, um, recreation in the shower. I'm a bit dubious as to the safety myself, but apparently it can take quite a bit of weight.
I saw that in the description of the foot rest, and I must confess to being mystified. Where would it be positioned? Who rests which limb on it? I suspect the answer is blindingly obvious and I will totally when I'm enlightened, so ... enlighten me? Please?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
This sounds like more fun than it actually is, trust me. The last month of my pregnancy my husband helped me shave my legs and it was just awkward and unpleasant.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
There are building codes for everything else. Every shower and tub should have an area on which to sit and a grab bar. Most home accidents happen in the bathroom. Those two things will do a lot to reduce them. It's not just for the elderly. If you have ever had a bad back, blown out a knee, or just got the flu (or even a hangover) you will agree with me.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Do you use razors that come with a cover over them to protect it before you use the blade for the first time? Actually, a smaller tube of toothpaste would probably work too. Go get in the tub with it and pretend to shave your leg from hip to ankle and see if you can reach everywhere without lifting your foot.

As for the OP, please use a stool rather than that suction cup thing. I've never had a suction cup anything that stuck to the shower wall worth a damn and don't want to read about you needing stitches because the damn thing let go on you.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I have a shower stall too and I just use a shoebox-size Rubbermaid box of water to rinse off the razor, and sit on the shower floor. I don't really like shaving my legs standing up with the shower on, then the water is just trying to rinse off my shave gel.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Do you use razors that come with a cover over them to protect it before you use the blade for the first time? Actually, a smaller tube of toothpaste would probably work too. Go get in the tub with it and pretend to shave your leg from hip to ankle and see if you can reach everywhere without lifting your foot.
Are you kidding me?

That's why I asked the question in the first place. Of course I can reach from my ankle to my hip. I'm 50 years old and simply reaching down to my ankle is as easy as, I dunno, tying my shoes.

Is this a prohibitively difficult maneuver for women?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachellelogram View Post
I thought it would be cool if they sold corner-shaped porcelain-shelf doohickers to put your foot up on. A stool will definitely work, though. I found this stepstool at the ace site, I think it's better because it's taller (and cheap enough).
Actually, they *did* used to have just that such a thing. I know, I've seen them. But I haven't been able to string the right terms together to make a google match. I'm pretty sure, though, that it was in a catalogue like Harriet Carter. Perhaps you could try one of those.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
If you want to go with a suction cup dohikey then possible the jointed version with 3 suction cups might work. All 3 are not likely to give way at once.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm actually more intrigued by the pee activated urinal video games in the first link!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:04 AM
It's funny, my BIL is an industrial designer, and this stuff is one of the things he likes to do. He says that the world is designed by men, for men. He just observes my sister doing stuff, and then notes how it hasn't been designed for what she needs. One of the things he has always wanted to do is design a set of showers, ready to install, that have a built-in shelf for shaving legs. He says if men had to shave their legs all showers would have them. He's a good guy

Sometimes you'll be doing something innocuous, not even thinking about it, and suddenly he starts asking all kinds of questions: why do you do that? can you reach? how do you do this? what if you need to...? etc. It's really sweet!

ETA: Leaffan, yes I can reach my ankles by bending down, but it's uncomfortable, the blood rushes to your head, and it's usually a little darker down there as well. It's much easier to put your leg up. Try both, and actually spend the time you would navigating around your ankles, moving slowly up. Leg up is far, far easier.

Last edited by gracer; 01-05-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer View Post

ETA: Leaffan, yes I can reach my ankles by bending down, but it's uncomfortable, the blood rushes to your head, and it's usually a little darker down there as well. It's much easier to put your leg up. Try both, and actually spend the time you would navigating around your ankles, moving slowly up. Leg up is far, far easier.
Fair enough.

Question though: how often do women typically shave their legs? Once a week? Twice a week? Once a month? I have no idea.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Charter Member
Jeesh, the whole idea of lifting one leg in the shower makes me nervous.

I hope you girls use those sticky pad things.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Fair enough.

Question though: how often do women typically shave their legs? Once a week? Twice a week? Once a month? I have no idea.
Good question. For me it varies widely depending on which people will be seeing how much leg and how much of fuck I give about that. Could be several times a week/every other day, could be once a month.

I suspect there are many people more consistent in behaviour, but there will be huge variation. My MIL has never shaved her legs, proper hippy that she is. My mum only for special occasions. Prissy people probably shave every day or every other day no matter who sees their legs. And there's this.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Fair enough.

In my case, highly variable. If I know I'm not going to be able to get away with keeping the legs covered (pants, long skirt, opaque tights, black pantyhose), I'll deal with hair removal. I'm clumsy enough that I tend to favor Nair over a razor. I have an electric shaver that does an acceptable job on my legs (although it can't be used on underarms unless I want to put up with very irritated skin for a few days).