Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Sulfuric Acid Disposal?

So I bought a new motorcycle battery yesterday the kind where the acid comes separately . The kit came with 1000ml of Sulfuric Acid after filling the battery I have about 200ml left. What the heck do I do with it? It is in a cheap plastic container that now has a hole in it so I don't really want to hop on the bike with it. I am not going to pour it down the drain. The box says take to your local Hazardous Materials drop off, ours seems to take paint and the like. Dopers any advice?

Thanks

Capt
Old 01-07-2013, 05:28 PM
I'd just pour it in my swimming pool, but you could pour baking soda into it until it no longer fizzed.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
I imagine that you could neutralize it with baking soda; the byproducts are sodium sulfate, carbon dioxide and water, all of which are non-toxic/corrosive and disposed of as such.

ETA: What beowulff said (a quick search suggests you can just dump it down the drain, run some water just in case there is residual acid).

Last edited by Michael63129; 01-07-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff View Post
I'd just pour it in my swimming pool, but you could pour baking soda into it until it no longer fizzed.
If I had a pool, like I did when I was a kid that would be exactly what I would do. Will baking soda take care of enough to dispose of in the trash? It is a small amount.

Capt
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys I of course am out of baking soda so off to the store tonight. I just didn't want to be that a** who does something stupid and spills acid on some poor schmuck.

Cheers

Capt
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kirk View Post
Thanks guys I of course am out of baking soda so off to the store tonight. I just didn't want to be that a** who does something stupid and spills acid on some poor schmuck.

Cheers

Capt
If you do, just make sure it's exactly half his face.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM
It is likely that your battery acid will be accepted at the HHW (household hazardous waste) collection point. That's what they do. Paints, pesticides, acids, caustics, aerosols, photo chemicals, fuels, oil, solvents, mercury,cfl lamps lithium batteries, toxics etc. are usually accepted.

Tie a knot in the rubber dispensing tube and wrap it with duct tape for transportation.

Or neutralize it.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Only 200 ml? Get the kitchen tap (faucet) running well. Gradually (over 5 minutes or so) pour the acid into the water. Leave to run for 10 minutes.
After that dilution, there'll be no ill effects.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Is it safe to pour baking soda into it? I recall that you were supposed to dilute an acid by pouring it into water, and never the other way around (because it might splatter).
Old 01-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Sugar snake.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Is it safe to pour baking soda into it? I recall that you were supposed to dilute an acid by pouring it into water, and never the other way around (because it might splatter).
If the sulfuric acid's concentrated, it would be safest to pour the acid into some water first to dilute it a bit before adding the baking soda.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
"Do like ya ottah, pour the acid into the watah."

From my high school chemistry teacher. Mr. Powahs.

Last edited by Crab Rangoon; 01-07-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
I prefer:

"May your rest be long and placid,
She added water to the acid.
The other doing as she ought ter
Added acid to the water."
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
I'd neutralize it before dumping it down the sink. Sulfuric acid is not good for pipes.

~VOW
Old 01-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Run the cold tap, pour it onto the stream of water.
It'll be diluted 10/20/30 fold so quickly it'll do no harm to the sink, pipes or anything.

(I've disposed of 10s of Kg of >90% sulphuric acid)