#1
Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Mailbox issue

we have a bank of locked mailboxes property of USPS in the middle of our cul de sac. They USPS will not maintain the locks, which stick, they are out in the weather and are cheap locks. I have called and left messages at the PO and left numerous notes on the mailbox to ask if the mail carrier would please change the locks as it is a misery to try and open...this has been ignored. The Post Master Mr Medina will never return you call nor answer his phone. The carrier is angry and will not leave packages on my porch, I have filled out 2 permission slips, when I call for a re-delivery, she doesn't bring it the next day. I filed a complaint, my mail box got jammed up with a box too big and mail. all wadded up. I filed a complaint. She delivered a Christmas package of jellies, smashed and dripping, the lock is getting worse yet and it's harder to get my mail..I filed a complaint. The key finally broke off in the lock, without access to mail for 2 weeks, then the day after New Year I pried the box open with a screw driver, 2 weeks worth of mail, Christmas Cards etc are wadded up and crumpled in the tiny mailbox...I filed a complaint. Two days later she delivered my bank statement and checks to the unsecured mail box...I filed a complaint...today she left a note saying pick your mail up at the PO, and get a new key made. I wonder what could be wrong with her...if she would just get the lock changed, a new key comes with the lock, I do not need a key I need a LOCK because the old lock is broken....she doesn't have to change the lock herself either from my understanding, she just has to tell the lock guy...she refuses to do this as does her boss as does the Post Master. I called and filed another complaint... they tell me they can not make her do anything and now I am suppose to write a formal letter to the USPS Advocate, however I no longer believe these people are capable, as is any government agency of seeing and solving a problem. They have made this tiny problem huge, this is so shockingly ignorant I can not believe this is happening.. I have spent, in 6 weeks a total of 6 hours per week on the phone with USPS, talking to the Customer Service people, the Consumer Affairs people and the Customer Advocate, they say they will call me back, only 2 people have, with nothing resolved, a supervisor from the actual PO finally called me to say she is in Bulk Mail and has nothing to do with the carrier, but would pass the message on and someone would call me firs thing in the AM, no one ever did, no one can get the carrier to do her job. I am going to write that letter, not the the Advocate though, but to my Congressman. AND I am calling the media, there is a consumer advocate guy that tracks down these insane situations....I think people are going to have a hard time believing this nonsense...but I clearly see why the USPS is nearly out of business....and I hope it happens soon,they should be out of business ASAP, they are incapable of doing the job they are contracted to do....they need to get out of the way and let a private company do the job!

Last edited by Elizabeth2013; 01-08-2013 at 03:33 AM.
#2
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,810
I'm going to regret answering this, but here goes:

So, no one has told you it's not up to the PO to provide functioning mailboxes? That's the job of the home/address owner and/or landlord and/or homeowner's association. It's your job to provide an acceptable mailbox and to provide the PO access. Someone, somewhere along the line decided not to have doorstep delivery, and put this bank of boxes out there. Once that was done, the PO no longer has to provide doorstep delivery - it's up to the people providing/maintaining that bank of boxes to make sure there's a place for the PO to put larger packages. It's usually at the association's/landlord's office, or a larger shared box next to the bank of smaller boxes.

If no one's taking care of the bank of mailboxes, someone (you) need to talk to the neighbors/association and see about getting that rectified, or re-establishing doorstep service and taking the consolidated ones down. You will be obligated, however, to provide a mailbox on your property, at your expense, for the PO to use.

The PO people are ignoring you because you're not correct in your assumptions and they think you're a loon.
#3
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ... hiding in my room ...
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Can I hijack for question? Nearly 40 years ago I was a summer sub carrier, and did lots of different routes. This was long before barcodes and automatic sorting of addresses. They never let me sort the mail into delivery order, which was good since I would have started the route about noon some days. What's the process nowadays? Back then there were little cubbyholes, two addresses per, and you sorted left or right. How much is automatically sorted into delivery order, and how much is manual? Does the OCR sometimes miss things, or are Ss and 5s sometimes confused? ...
Doesn't seem like an actual hijack, i.e. Do carriers even do any sorting these days?
(My Uncle was a carrier into the 80s (moved up to working on the (much hated) Zip+4 thingy) and his wife into the early 90s, so I do know carriers were sorting routs up til then.)

CMC
#4
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Osos, California
Posts: 101
I had been a mailman for years. Will your postal carrier retaliate if you get him in complain? The answer is maybe. If you complain to his supervisors does that mean the problem will be fixed? Maybe yes and maybe no. Can you get a different mail carrier? The answer is yes IF you make a lot of formal complaints against the carrier AND if the supervisors at the post office don't think you are some crank. Sorry, this is not much help but it is best you get an honest answer that will let you know exactly where you stand. Not like you do not know it but for a carrier to make mistakes as often as yours does is completely inexcusable.
#5
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,810
Note: zombie thread resurrected at post #10. I reported it, maybe it can be split off since it's really a new OP by a newbie who may or may not return considering the nature of the post.
#6
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 37,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
Note: zombie thread resurrected at post #10. I reported it, maybe it can be split off since it's really a new OP by a newbie who may or may not return considering the nature of the post.
[Moderator Note]

As suggested above, I have split these posts from a resurrected zombie thread in GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Last edited by Colibri; 01-08-2013 at 09:35 AM.
#7
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,162
In the past I have resolved a couple of USPS problems by writing to my senator and just saying please forward the attached to the proper authorities - the attachment being a letter to USPS describing the problem. I have never had any luck going directly to USPS but having it forwarded from the senators office has been effective.
#8
Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,903
Neighborhood mail box clusters are not USPS property?
#9
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 19,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslogin View Post
In the past I have resolved a couple of USPS problems by writing to my senator and just saying please forward the attached to the proper authorities - the attachment being a letter to USPS describing the problem. I have never had any luck going directly to USPS but having it forwarded from the senators office has been effective.
I doubt if the OP will have any luck trying to change the well-established rules of the Post Office. The concept of "your box, you maintain it, we just deliver to it but no one else can" is rock-solid and a challenge is futile.

Besides, what's the big deal? Your box is defective, fix it and you'll get your mail. If you share it with others, either fix it together or arrange, if possible, to split the boxes into individual units that each of you can maintain.
#10
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
Neighborhood mail box clusters are not USPS property?
It's my understanding that they are. Our town's post office was slated for closing last year. The option presented by the PO was cluster boxes, and the PO representative who came to a community meeting assured us that they would maintain the boxes.

It sounds like the OP has done everything she can to correct the situation. If I was her, I'd rent a post office box at the closest post office, and use that instead. It'd be a hassle, but no more than what she's going through with the cluster box.
#11
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
I'm going to regret answering this, but here goes:

So, no one has told you it's not up to the PO to provide functioning mailboxes? That's the job of the home/address owner and/or landlord and/or homeowner's association. It's your job to provide an acceptable mailbox and to provide the PO access. Someone, somewhere along the line decided not to have doorstep delivery, and put this bank of boxes out there. Once that was done, the PO no longer has to provide doorstep delivery - it's up to the people providing/maintaining that bank of boxes to make sure there's a place for the PO to put larger packages. It's usually at the association's/landlord's office, or a larger shared box next to the bank of smaller boxes.

If no one's taking care of the bank of mailboxes, someone (you) need to talk to the neighbors/association and see about getting that rectified, or re-establishing doorstep service and taking the consolidated ones down. You will be obligated, however, to provide a mailbox on your property, at your expense, for the PO to use.

The PO people are ignoring you because you're not correct in your assumptions and they think you're a loon.
This is not always true. I've seen USPS maintainance people show up to fix issues with the mailbox cluster at our townhouse complex. They seem to be entirely in charge of the locking mechanisms of all the boxes. For example, when the new cluster was installed in our complex, we had to go to the post office to pick up the new key.

Last edited by suranyi; 01-08-2013 at 04:57 PM.
#12
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 22,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
Neighborhood mail box clusters are not USPS property?
Nope. The USPS has certain design standards and the homeowner (or landlord, or group) chooses a model and is responsible for erecting and maintaining it.

Looks like you can spend anywhere from $10.98 to $1,600 for a mailbox depending on what you and your neighbors want.
#13
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Nope. The USPS has certain design standards and the homeowner (or landlord, or group) chooses a model and is responsible for erecting and maintaining it.

Looks like you can spend anywhere from $10.98 to $1,600 for a mailbox depending on what you and your neighbors want.
Those are all mailboxes for single homes. I wonder about clusters of mailboxes for complexes because, as I said, the USPS does maintain the cluster at our complex -- at least they maintain the locks.
#14
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,162
We have mail box clusters as show with Google images ~ usps mail box clusters ~ and the locks are maintained by someone in a USPS truck.
#15
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: F.O.S.O.N.E.
Posts: 19,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Those are all mailboxes for single homes. I wonder about clusters of mailboxes for complexes because, as I said, the USPS does maintain the cluster at our complex -- at least they maintain the locks.
I am referring to the cluster mailboxes in newer, typically mid- to lower-range developments that are not under an HOA or CCRs; I watched dozens of such neighborhoods go in over the last decade in California. Some had USPS logos on them.

I understand that an apartment complex or gated community might have its own mailbox array, but these were plain vanilla, let's-cover-some-more-hills box houses. My understanding was that the USPS would not agree to single-house delivery in these areas so required block mailbox clusters... but AFAIK they were owned and maintained by the USPS.
#16
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, Far Northsider
Posts: 7,810
Sounds like we need clarification from the OP, and how the boxes are serviced depends on the municipality's arrangement with the USPS. Describing her home as a cul-de-sac sounded to me like individual homes with an HOA, and everywhere I've lived the mailboxes were the responsibility of the owners, not the USPS.

Those of you who have a similar set-up, how are large packages that don't fit in the boxes handled?
#17
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 22,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Those are all mailboxes for single homes. I wonder about clusters of mailboxes for complexes because, as I said, the USPS does maintain the cluster at our complex -- at least they maintain the locks.
Look at the most expensive models. They're all cluster mailboxes.
#18
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
Sounds like we need clarification from the OP, and how the boxes are serviced depends on the municipality's arrangement with the USPS. Describing her home as a cul-de-sac sounded to me like individual homes with an HOA, and everywhere I've lived the mailboxes were the responsibility of the owners, not the USPS.

Those of you who have a similar set-up, how are large packages that don't fit in the boxes handled?
There are a couple of large mailboxes meant to hold packages that are common to the entire cluster. When anyone recieves a package, it is put into one of those boxes. The mailman locks the box and puts the key for that box into the regular mailbox for the recipient. When the recipient gets his mail, he sees the key in the box and that tells him that he has a package. When he uses the key to open the big box he can get the package but the key remains stuck in the lock. The mailman has a way to remove it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: counterfactuals game navy ctn life furtherance of justice r circle men thrust les schwab financing missouri or missoura jumping crab recycle dentures patel names wiki almost famous donating plasma scars viridian scams eye folds caucasian ofavia quist arcton picasso first communion oprah bees gif old people eyebrows abdessalam jelloul metabolic byproducts dr richard hertz presidential pranks guaifenesin diarrhea ss bloodgroup tattoo mr. boffo miget baseball oglaf archive disownment synonym 10 fold definition solar panels drawing that's a negative ghost rider ed vs. spencer medical abbreviation for tylenol how many tracks can a cd hold turn off auto format in excel clicking in right ear running generators in parallel do dogs have clits no one messages me back on okcupid don t play b17 toilet water rises then slowly drains how often does a prius need an oil change how to get front row tickets what name does bastian yell how many newtons does it take to break a bone when does celsius equal fahrenheit if an object radiates more energy than it absorbs, its milk smells bad but tastes fine national lampoon magazine dvd download my dog has fleas tuning i caught mom masterbating light skinned girl with green eyes haven't slept in 4 days john mayer running through the halls office depot vs officemax hot cocoa milk or water can i eat raw beef pick 5 frozen foods can i view the eclipse in selfie mode reese witherspoon fan mail forgot jury duty california how triscuits are made indrid cold in mirror