Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Charter Member
Face Off, Season 4 (SyFy Series)

Well, once again, another great episode! Season 4 opened really strong - and I'm damn happy to see Westmoreland be the new teaching judge. As shown last year, he can improve someone's design, or get them over a hurdle, with just a few simple sentences.

As always, the first show is so hectic. I know there's at least four people that didn't speak the whole episode, so I assume they're the better players who'll get more screen time later in the episode.

Queen Challenge: It was amazing. You could see who was going to be a prime player, and who was going to get kicked out, with that simple challenge. When not given direction, the recently-released-from-art-school people floundered, and created less-than-aesthetic designs. The scars-but-are-glitter! design? Should have lost.

King Challenge: What the heck is this with the trend of making something visually interesting, then covering it up with a costume? They did this last season, too. I think the volcano-guy could have had slightly higher rankings if they'd shown the chest piece. However, I do agree with the Judge's choice - That design had been done before, was trite, and that hat was ridiculous!

Overall, it looks to be a fantastic season. The only thing that has pissed me off is that they KEEP SHOWING THE FUTURE CREATIONS before the show happens! Its as bad as movie trailers - they're showing what we want to be surprised to see.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I saw only the King challenge and, from that alone, I am hoping very hard that half-shaved head guy messes up and gets tossed. Not because I don't like his designs but because his overblown persona already got on my nerves.

Also, I think I would have sent the girl home. The one who did nothing. At least the big black guy did work.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Charter Member
Yeah, she sold her talents more than the black guy, so they thought she might have more value.

And yeah, funny-ass haircut guy is annoying as hell. Talent, undeniably, but I think I'd go insane if I had to work with him for more than 20 minutes.

My favorite was the grass-covered one. And I agree - they hid their best work under that fake grass.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM
I was all ready to get mad at funny hair guy, but then his partner painted that skin stuff and he was instantly like "ok, you were right all along", which bought him a lot of points in my book.

I mean, there's no excuse for his hair, but...
Old 01-16-2013, 03:23 PM
The talent level this seems even higher. There were some really good designs in that 1st episode. This could be a great season.

That double winner is someone to watch. He won the foundation challenge. Breaks the nose off the life mask and loses valuable time fixing it. Rushes through his sculpting. Then the judges couldn't stop praising the realism of his stone face mask. That's some talent when a rush job still wins.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-16-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 PM
I enjoyed the first episode. The hour and a half gave a bit more time for the introduction segment and still cover the two challenges. I was trying to pay attention to the demo submissions to see what caught my eye. Saw some good work there.

The queens competition was neat, to see what they pull together on the fly. Glitter scars was notably bad. I loved the line "She's totally wasted that crown" about the black crown with the limbs.

Eric with the hair looks kinda like Ed Begley, Jr. That, and he kinda reminded me of the squirrely guy who walked out on the first episode last season. But he did good work and wasn't nearly as obnoxious. I had the same reaction when I saw her painting the latex fabric dark - they were looking for desert tans, not deep browns. But she explained she was going for the depth, and was going to lighten it afterwards, so she had a plan and it mostly worked.

I pretty much agree across the board with the judges comments and evaluations. I'm not seeing anyone who is as big a stand out as Roy last season. So far there appears to be a lot of talent.

The Mountain Goblin was pretty amazing. At first the color difference between the two face halves wasn't as obvious, but then when they did some of the later focus shots it was a little more clear where the goblin vs rock was. The rock texture and sculpt was spectacular. Definite winner, and Anthony will be one to watch. And the way he recovered after his goof and still succeeded is good.

The Forest and the Jungle both had wood texture in their sculpts. Both did well. The sculpting the wood texture into the muscles was excellent work.

Artic was okay, but some of the icicles didn't blend that well. But good overall.

Swamp had a great concept and decent sculpt, but they both failed for paint. Definite time management problem on that one. They were supposed to go with greens for alligator, instead they had it in black and gray. Meh.

Volcanic was definitely the worst of the lot. From top to bottom it was horrid. It was a jumbled mess. There was nothing original there, there was nothing well-done. The hat was stupid, not at all like what was on the original sketch for the goblin head. The decision to put the cloak on and cover the chestpiece was dreadful. The props looked sick. They were the ones so happy they had chosen to do less than the others because the others might have bitten off too much, but their quality of work was below what any of the others did. Guy learned from his brother Matt, what he learned was how to lose.

I mostly liked the show, but once again I am frustrated by the previews. I mean, they started the episode with a minute long preview of the whole season. Now I know one of the creatures will be a two-headed giant, one will be a giant mouth on the belly, and they are going to do a big Vegas stunt show in water. Dammit, I don't want to be shown that now, I want it revealed when it comes up. There's this thing called surprise that creates real drama, no need for lengthy pauses and music, followed by commercial breaks, and then repeat the lengthy pause and music.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 AM
It's disaster night on Face Off.

First, superheroes. We do have that same nebulous question from last season on the distinction between a superhero and comic book character. Is Dick Tracy a "superhero"? Nevertheless, it looks like most of the concepts strive more toward the superhero aspect this time.

Now we get to disaster rundown. It's a game of who had the biggest oops.

Anthony had an awesome sculpt going for his chest and back piece to go with the arms and head that he did. Well, he struggled on time and didn't get the mold set before the end of the second day, and then couldn't get the mold apart on day 3, so had to punt to plan B. He made some sort of black poncho thingy. However, he made the silouette bold and had excellent work on the head and face and arms. He had the concept of a lava man thing, but actually had a good concept (unlike the lava goblin from last week), and did excellent work. The split in the skull was splendid.

Alam had the blue glass shard man. The concept was a lot of glass shards all throughout the body. But she didn't design a good way to attach the back piece, trying to rely on glue to hold a very heavy back piece with no other anchors. Um, yeah, it wouldn't stick, even when she cut the back off she shirt and tried to glue to his back. So she had to lose the back piece and paint his back. It didn't look too bad from the front, with the dynamic arms, legs, and head, but when they were doing closeup review and had him turn around - ouch! She needed to have made the piece to wrap over the shoulders, maybe with straps to go under the outfit. Or else stitched/anchored it to the suit. Adhesive just isn't going to do that.

Meagan was struggling with her face sculpt to come up with a good shape. When she got done, what she did was very poor quality. Then the arm pieces were lame (supposed to be the Twin towers, but just look like blocks with buttons), and didn't stick, so she applied them with visible duck tape. Yeah, that's going over well.

Michael (aka Wolverine) went for this "bringer of plagues" concept, and wanted a fancy bird mask of an ancient doctor where they used the mask to hold incense to cover the smells (I did not know that). Well, he struggled and struggled to make the mask, finally came up with something that didn't have the right shape and had a dreadful texture - and his superhero was essentially a horrid mask and a baggy costume. Yeah, the actor did a flip on stage, but that didn't do much for the superhero. (Okay, there was an arm mold or something, but it was easily overlooked.) As Glenn said, "having a fabricated mask as the showpiece is unacceptable".

Katie wanted to do a guy who kinda was a punk self-costumed guy with electrical powers. Her face sculpt was deformed rather than enhancing the look, and the face mask was cheesy. Now the one thing I think she should have done was argued the point with the facemask. She deliberately made it cheesy, as something he would have cobbled together at home. Glenn's critique was to call it some frat-boy whip together or something, but that's the point - that's what she was going for. But she had other problems besides that. Her face sculpt was reminiscent of Rob's squarefaced guys from last season.

Besides the rundown on things that went wrong, I have several other observations.

I wasn't as thrilled with House's robot girl as the judges. I thought it was a bit gory, but also the blend line on the chest piece along the shoulders was not done well. But the rest of the execution was pretty good. But the texture of all the wires and cables was pretty good. It looked great when he was building it, just kinda a little to gory for me.

I agree that the Mercury Ray chick was the most complete superhero presence, even though the overall quality of work was sloppy. "Her panties were on the outside". Yep, that's a superhero.

The "Silversight" was a bird chick of some sort. I don't get how the name fits the character. The wings were neat, wish we'd seen if they articulated or something. Lots of feathers and colors. I liked the overview and profile.

Eric F with the hair had the 40's detective who was resurrected from death, with a hole in his skull and brain exposed, and his chest cavity open with lungs exposed. It's a little hard to see how his chest would work without the ribs in place, but the judges liked it.

Eric Z (beard) had the guy with the mask and huge arm. That mask was rather bad. And the arm had anatomy problems.

The undersea lady had some interesting paint and texture on the head, and a decent overall look and color. However, the cowl line did not blend at the neck to the jumpsuit. Also, the tentacle direction choice reminds me of the blue chick from Return of the Jedi. But I think Alex (the blond) was successful in showing she does have ability despite the appearances from last week.

Kris made a bold-shaped face sculpt and spent effort on that, and then had a dreadful costume like a mom making a last-minute superhero outfit for her 5 year old's Halloween. Plus, some of the texture was bad around the jaw and the paint was peeling around the nose.

Wayne (goatee, spikey hair) had a good overall look, good body, leg, and arm sculpt and paint. Even the face sculpt was good, he just didn't get the paint done. The face was white while the rest was blue, and the texture of the face disappeared.

I think the judges made the right decisions tonight.

SPOILER:
I called the winner being Anthony. His sculpt and paint work was superb. The torso would have been amazing if it had come out, the shapes were stunning - too bad, I would love to have seen it. But even without that, the overall was a success and the detail was the best by far. So that makes three wins in a row.

The loser was Michael (Wolverine). He didn't have much in the way of make up at all, just a lousy mask and a quick set of pajamas. Second week in a row he was in bottom looks, and this is the second show, so definitely the right call. Though the other two girls with him may be following in the next couple weeks.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Charter Member
Yeah, I agree with the judges' decision. But it was just like last year - Exactly two of those guys could be DC superheroes. The others were "dark, gritty" blah-blah whatever. They were supposed to be superheroes, forFSMsake! They could have done a Thing makeup, with a full body suit, they could have done human musculature to make a Superman clone, they could have done SO many super-heroic things, but 75% of them went to Plague Doctor or Mutant Robot Girl.

But yeah, Irishman, this show really showed the dross in the pack of people. I think Shard Girl should have gone, for not truly finishing, but I'm sure she'll go rapidly.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:31 AM
I think ultimately there's much more room under the "superhero" label than the classic icons. Afterall, technically Rorschach from Watchmen is a superhero, and if he qualifies, then so do most of these. And they were charged with coming up with a new original superhero, not a Superman clone.

And I don't think Alam should have gone home. She had some planning issues and I think ultimately she's not going to last that long, but her concept was neat and original, the shards were a creative profile, the look with the full back would have been even neater. The work on the face wasn't bad. She just bungled not planning how to attach that much weight to the body, and then made a poor decision in cutting up the suit. When that didn't work the back of the outfit was butchered, but from the front it didn't look as bad. I think there were several worse jobs in actual skill. Mercury Ray outfit was really cheap looking shit, even though hers was the most classic superhero look.

Right now Anthony is showing the others up. Who else is doing quality work to look like a shot for the finale?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:43 PM
It seemed like all the artists struggled with the Superhero. There were a couple finished costumes that I liked. Anthony's was good but looked a bit too much batman for me. I liked Jenna's Silversight. Autumn's Mercury Ray was pretty good, the yellow codpiece looks a bit off.

Here's the Superheroes
http://syfy.com/faceoff/photos/f..._s04_0402?id=9
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Also, I think I would have sent the girl home. The one who did nothing. At least the big black guy did work.
But in Hollywood, the black dude always dies first.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:00 PM
Anthony has won exactly 100% of everything so far. What a way to start!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Some points:

1. Glenn called Revolt's mask a "Juggalo tiki mask" - he was not wrong.

2. Anthony's character was pretty good, but also kind of generic. However of the top looks, his was, by far, the easiest to fit into DC's line-up.

3. Erik F.'s character is a 40's detective named "Dick Gritty". I would totally read that book.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Charter Member
Except for the winner, I was really, really disappointed in this episode.

They had a HUGE opportunity to make something fantastic, and they all sucked ass at it. None of the designs really took off, none were really frightening, and they all suffered from lack of time and bad painting.

I feel sorry for hair-guy about the animatronics, but hopefully, he learned a damn good time management lesson.

I totally object to the girl that was sent home. If I were the other girl, I would have recognized that my physical limitations will never allow me to get further in this contest, and I'd have removed myself from the competition. I think she'll probably be the one to go next week.

I did like the winner. They had a good concept, a good design, and they carried it through properly.

But overall, I was really disappointed. They had a damn good challenge, and they blew it.

~~I really, REALLY wish they'd stop showing next week's final creations in the teaser-trailer. I want to be surprised! I now know three of the designs that will be shown next week from the half-second trailer. It really blows the anticipation.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Ice demons!

I didn't understand in the bottom look what the hand extensions were supposed to be. They didn't look at all like legs, and they were way too long to lean on to function as additional limbs. Weird.

I can't believe Anthony won AGAIN! But his character was the most complete and the head was the best part. If only Eric had followed Mr. Westmore's advice to only do the animatronics after they'd finished a great paint job. As it was they spent too much time on the blinking eyes, did a rotten paint job, and the eyes didn't even work. They would have won if they'd prioritized better.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I had a real problem with Erik's character, in that his exposed body parts would be a real detriment to anybody trying to do anything. Now the character had plastic over it, but I would have thought that maybe a metal looking covering over the lungs and such would have been a better effect, maybe hinged or something. I simply couldn't get over how vulnerable he was. I thought they picked the right guy. I kind of thought he cleverly used the black tarp or whatever to make it look like obsidian.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:53 PM
So far this has been the most lopsided season of any reality show I've ever seen (which is mainly Top Chef and Face Off). Basically, there are 4 or 5 people who are terrible, 4 or 5 who are solid, and Anthony who is just in a different league.

I also feel like the challenges have been pretty uninspired so far. What happened to things like the gender swapping or aging or body painting, which are something other than just "here's a type of magical monster or hero, make one of it".
Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq View Post
Except for the winner, I was really, really disappointed in this episode.

They had a HUGE opportunity to make something fantastic, and they all sucked ass at it. None of the designs really took off, none were really frightening, and they all suffered from lack of time and bad painting.
Agreed. There seems to be a problem with trying to do ribcages, too. I've seen a number of catastrophies in this region. We need some anatomy lessons here.

Quote:
I feel sorry for hair-guy about the animatronics, but hopefully, he learned a damn good time management lesson.
Yes, they had a lot to accomplish, with essentially a full body makeup - casts for arms, lets, torso, and head. That is a shitload of work to pull off in 3 days. There's no time for animatronics and whatnot, you simply MUST focus on the most significant elements of a MAKEUP show. The molds have to be well-shaped to convey the character, and the paint job is critical. How many times have the judges commented on paint job? Eric's partner should have pushed harder on him.

Quote:
I totally object to the girl that was sent home. If I were the other girl, I would have recognized that my physical limitations will never allow me to get further in this contest, and I'd have removed myself from the competition. I think she'll probably be the one to go next week.
When the judges were reviewing, Glenn made comments about Autumn and her lousy sculping and she's proud of that? That's unsalvagable. I was expecting them to send her home from that remark. Her superhero was just a dreadfully molded. The overall concept was classic superhero and the best at that, but the quality of the work was shoddy all around. I don't see her being around much longer.

The girl who had problems getting work completed because of her injury was a liability to her team, but the quality of the work that was accomplished falls squarely on the girl who was eliminated. Those arm extensions were supposed to be lengthening of the arms straight out from the elbows, and the actor lean like a chimpanzee. Instead, they were right-angled at the hands and then wrapped in bandages. WTF? Like the judges said, are those legs or canes? Can't tell. The sculpt texture was unidentifiable as well. So yes, she just didn't do good, and she was hampered by choosing something not accomplishable in the time they had.

The girl with the injured hand will probably be eliminated fairly soon if she can't keep up the work.

Quote:
~~I really, REALLY wish they'd stop showing next week's final creations in the teaser-trailer. I want to be surprised! I now know three of the designs that will be shown next week from the half-second trailer. It really blows the anticipation.
Yes - I HATE the way they reveal the results in previews and coming ups. Kill the actual suspense and then manufacture suspense with "dramatic pauses".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
I also feel like the challenges have been pretty uninspired so far. What happened to things like the gender swapping or aging or body painting, which are something other than just "here's a type of magical monster or hero, make one of it".
This is only the third week. They've got a whole season to go. Gotta ease their way in to the challenges, right?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Hey! The girl who was made up with the long horns is our niece!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
This is one show that would benefit from being more than 1 hour long. You really don't get much of a look at the design process. Each week, it's pretty much the same -- a bunch of soliloquizing by some artist about how the design isn't coming together, then the blonde hostess swans in with a guest star who makes some quick comments about designs we've barely seen, then someone struggles to get a mold to release, everybody slaps latex on models and then crams six hours of work into the last look.

Give the artists a reasonable deadline and show the process and this would be a fascinating show. As it is, I'm astounded at how good a job they do in three days. Although the superhero challenge was incredibly disappointing -- I didn't think any of the designs were very good. Certainly not compared to the goblin king challenge.

Some of the demons were reasonably good, but again, the artists are really hobbled by the retarded deadlines. THe concept drawings were really brilliant, but there's only so much you can cobble together in three days. I think it's less of a skill challenge than a test of who can smuggle the most Adderall onto the set.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo Verde View Post
I can't believe Anthony won AGAIN! But his character was the most complete and the head was the best part. If only Eric had followed Mr. Westmore's advice to only do the animatronics after they'd finished a great paint job. As it was they spent too much time on the blinking eyes, did a rotten paint job, and the eyes didn't even work. They would have won if they'd prioritized better.
If there's one lesson I've picked up from FaceOff about creating makeups, it's this: Don't chintz on the paint job! That does seem to be the most important element in the judges' eyes. Erik-with-the-hair-would have been wise to listen to the advice he was given and leave off the animatronics.

I do get Anthony's win in this episode - I love that he realized that a Hindu demon is not necessarily the same thing as a western demon, and not necessarily monstrous. And I really like the way the makeup firmly placed the character in an Indian cultural context.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Van Horowitzski View Post
Hey! The girl who was made up with the long horns is our niece!
That's cool! If she has any back-stage stories, that talk about the chaos as seen from the model's point of view, I'd love to hear them.

Really, if you look at the posts from last season, the models behind the makeup can really, really help sell a bad design. Season 1, it seemed that whomever got the Asian-Tallish-dude got a boost from him, as he loved doing what he was doing. The same thing was true for Tallish-White-Guy, who did the chest-of-drawers-in-his-chest-bellhop. His acting ability put the makeup over the top.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Why, oh why, are people watching spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled?? You know every commercial is going to show what's coming up, so why aren't you fast-forwarding if you're time-shifting or changing the channel for 30 seconds if you're not?

Yes, they definitely give too much away and ruin fun surprises with these teasers...which is why I haven't watched a moment of them all season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
THe concept drawings were really brilliant, but there's only so much you can cobble together in three days. I think it's less of a skill challenge than a test of who can smuggle the most Adderall onto the set.
I've long-said that they should add a day to the competition. As it is, saying they have "three days" is a joke -- their in-shop time is five or six hours on Day 1, 10 or 12 on Day 2, and four hours (plus one) on Day 3. All told, between 20 and 23 hours for everything. Imagine how much better the work would be -- and how much more representative of the type of output you can expect from a professional studio -- if they had another 10-hour day to work with?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM
And imagine what an amazing meal an Iron Chef could make in two hours, or how polished a dancing with the stars dancer could be with a routine they'd rehearsed for 2 weeks. But these are competition shows, not exhibitions of raw talent. The time crunch is part of the competition, IMHO. If I want to see perfect FX makeups, I can watch a big budget movie. Face Off is as much about the disasters as the successes, I think.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
I have been positively enchanted with this series, because it gives such insight as to the actual construction of the sfx that I've enjoyed in movies over the years. The contestants' choices of foam vs latex vs silicone for the prostheses, the sculpting involved, and the techniques of painting completely captivate me.

And I feel so SORRY for those poor models!

~VOW
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
Why, oh why, are people watching spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled?? You know every commercial is going to show what's coming up, so why aren't you fast-forwarding if you're time-shifting or changing the channel for 30 seconds if you're not?
Well, I didn't expect the preview at the end of last season to give away that
SPOILER:
they were going to be doing a big stunt show in water this season.

But yes, I do fastforward as soon as the segment ends. But there is a moment when I reach for the remote (because I don't sit there with my remote in my hand and my thumb on the button), and then there are flashes in FFW. Those are still reveals.

I just think that the whole pacing of the show would be better without those.

Quote:
I've long-said that they should add a day to the competition. As it is, saying they have "three days" is a joke -- their in-shop time is five or six hours on Day 1, 10 or 12 on Day 2, and four hours (plus one) on Day 3.
You're certainly correct they don't have three full days to work. It's closer to two days for creating, and then the presentation. Though if they time their casting correctly they can let things cure overnight.

Yes, the timeframe really puts a challenge on the contestants. They are trying to make whole creatures and full-body makeups with insufficient time. One more day would make a lot of the projects far superior results. But the thing is, the contest is to find out who really has all the skills, one of those being time management and another being able to work quickly but high quality.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Oh, fer goodness sake!

That gummy-bear travesty was the WORST THING I've ever seen! The costume was falling off! It was HORRID! She needed to go for that.

I guess in-person that the other costume must have been truly crap-tastic.

Personally, I (again) liked Anthony's design. The Anime character that won was just creepy, but it did fulfill the task requirements better.

I really don't see the need for the Mustache challenge, although it was very interesting to see.

I liked the Gingerbread House character, but he could have done something like make a gumdrop path to it, and it would have been more interesting.

And I really, really hope wrist-girl goes next week. I'm tired of the whining. I feel bad for her, but good gods, woman! You're in a field of work that requires consistent, demanding use of your hands! And one of yours does not work! Perhaps you should consider other fields of expertise.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
I was very surprised at who they sent home, I though either of the two others in the bottom deserved it more. As for the winner, I thought his design was beautiful and was technically spot-on, the mouth-in-the-belly was more creative and definitely creepy.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
I was very surprised at who they sent home, I though either of the two others in the bottom deserved it more. As for the winner, I thought his design was beautiful and was technically spot-on, the mouth-in-the-belly was more creative and definitely creepy.
I think mouth in belly would have won had the body paint been more complete.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
I thought the exact same of the bottom three - the one that was sent home was the least bad of three bad designs.

I liked the mouth-in-the-belly concept, but I didn't think it was technically that great. The design that won, I loved that! It had candy -- I was surprised, overall, at how little candy was in the designs -- and it looked very complete, both in terms of concept and technical execution.

I was also surprised that so many of the characters were some sort of demon. I guess the show attracts people who have more expertise in horror-type make-up, but I would think with a candy challenge you could really take advantage of having the opportunity to do more playful characters. Weird, because they are made of candy, but not evil.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I also liked the design that one. His makeup color made him look like gingerbread. As to the rest of this season, except for Anthony and the occasional bright spot, most of these people suck. Each week, I yell at the TV that half of them and their crappy makeup should go home. It's like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel here. And I'm shocked at how awful that gummy bear thing was. My cat could do a better job. I love this show, but I'm highly disappointed so far. I'd be happier if they'd just spend the entire time showcasing Anthony.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I am just shocked at how BAD most of these people are. Their skills are just....abysmal. I mean, when I'M saying your edges are crap, then there's something wrong because I don't even know how the hell edges work. Every week has just been one big disappointment after another. As was very accurately said earlier in the thread, there's a couple of good people, lots of crappy ones and Anthony above and beyond them all.

And I just have to complain....HOW did gummy bear lady make it through? Pieces were falling off, there was no smoothness between the gloves/boots and the rest of the body. Yeah, the lady that left may not have made the best use of time but at least her piece looked somewhat passable.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
In case anyone isn't aware, starting this week they're running a secondary competition in which one of the losers gets to earn a spot on next season's show.

Video link
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphica View Post
I was also surprised that so many of the characters were some sort of demon. I guess the show attracts people who have more expertise in horror-type make-up, but I would think with a candy challenge you could really take advantage of having the opportunity to do more playful characters. Weird, because they are made of candy, but not evil.
That was our feeling as well, and we actually thought Anthony should have won again (but that would start to get boring, so we understand the need for change.) There's a certain sameness when every freakin' weak, it's always demons and zombies and ghoulies. One of the most memorable challenges from a prior season was the identical twins being aged, just to look old. Great make-up isn't just gore.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Those bottom the were three of the worst makeup jobs I've every seen on the show. I agree with the judges decision only in that the losers design was nothing, a couple of poorly applied prosthetics, that's it? The gummy bear also could have gone easily, but at least she molded a head, some ferry and some hands with candy in then. Still awful, though.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
That was our feeling as well, and we actually thought Anthony should have won again (but that would start to get boring, so we understand the need for change.) There's a certain sameness when every freakin' weak, it's always demons and zombies and ghoulies. One of the most memorable challenges from a prior season was the identical twins being aged, just to look old. Great make-up isn't just gore.
Yep. Just like in the super-hero contest, where half of them were "dark and gritty". Some of us LOVE our 4-color heroes
Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I just can't believe Gummy Bear lady is still in. That design was atrocious. Just atrocious. If she had been cast in any of the first three seasons, I don't think she would have made it through the first episode or two.

Remember the challenge in Season 2 (I think) when they had to body paint models into a background? I'd like to see more challenges like that. To see of Anthony and funny hair dude really have range, or are just good scultors.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I can't decide about Redemption. I wouldn't expect it to reveal those who haven't been eliminated yet, but this show doesn't seem particularly cognizant about protecting reveals. And I'm not sure I want to see any of these eliminated people get another shot. They're all getting booted for a reason. At least last season when the girl came back, she was the one I wanted to have a second chance, because I didn't think her rejection was fair.

I liked the beard challenge. Some weird face painting occurring in there.

Overall I agreed with the judges. I thought Anthony's was better than just "safe", but oh well.

I absolutely agree that Autumn and her gummy bear was horrid. She can't sculpt a friggin gummy bear? Hey look, you've got a friggin gummy bear right there in front of you. Sculpt that! And the edges were not blended at all, and wrinkly, and the torso part started coming off. Her skill set is dreadful. She should be gone.

I can only justify the actual dismissal on the basis that of the three, she did a pittance of work and it was dreadful. Vs doing more work, but being dreadful.

I expect the next two off to be Autumn and the woman with the bad hand. Not sure which sequence.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I can't decide about Redemption. I wouldn't expect it to reveal those who haven't been eliminated yet, but this show doesn't seem particularly cognizant about protecting reveals. And I'm not sure I want to see any of these eliminated people get another shot. They're all getting booted for a reason.
I wouldn't worry about reveals (and no one is more anti-reveal than me -- I'm a DVR FF'ing mofo who never watches anything that isn't "this is what is happening on the show at this very moment"). They're running one Redemption webisode after every four eliminations, so there's nothing about those who have not yet been eliminated.

That said, the Redemption is kind of silly at the moment, since the first two webisodes are going to be dealing with the very worst of the bunch. I'm guessing the winner of the spot on Season 5 will be one of the last players eliminated -- that only makes sense.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
If they do redemption - they need to bring cowboy hat back from last season.

That being said - I'd rather see them do a mini-series with the winners from the 4 seasons and 4 competitions - the best of the best of the best.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
(Episode 5: Two Heads Are Better Than One)

Well, that was certainly the least surprising winner and elimination they've ever had.

When Eric F. was first talking about his concept, I thought "Ambitious...way too ambitious for you. You're going to be fucked come Last Looks". Color me way wrong -- they killed this one. The foam heads lacked a little detail (the whitewash eyes weren't a good choice), but other than that, that was an awesome design.

Jenna has needed to go for weeks now -- if you can't sculpt, then you have no business being there. Sucks, and I feel bad for her, but she can't keep dragging others down with her like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
The giants were my favorite so far this season. Nearly all the ideas were super creative and challenging. That 10ft giant was just amazing when you consider the limited time. Making that big actor look tiny and in the clutches of the giant was very cool.

I thought the idea of putting the heads on the giant's feet was clever. There were execution problems. They looked a bit like fuzzy slippers from a distance. The judges didn't seem to understand that this was supposed to be a comic character. Like in Xena or Hercules. The bad guy characters in those shows were always a little funny and camp too. Just imagine those feet heads complaining and whining at the giant. I think the concept could work with some refining.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
Yeah, we knew who would win, and who would lose, immediately. Basically, whomever got Jenna. Like the judges said, they were sorry that her problems interfered with her talent, but results are results. I just would have preferred that she step out last week, though.

It was interesting that in Anthony's design, they praised the faces he made, but not the main head - which was done by someone else. I think they could have done better if the head in the back was moved up so that it was immediately apparent to the viewer.

Personally, I really liked when Eric F did his sketch on the floor. It immediately gave them the correct proportions, they knew what they had to do, and I think it helped focus their design.

And the little guy stabbing the giant's hand was funny as hell

A good episode. Next week, when its 9 contestants, it will be interesting to see if its an individual challenge, or 3 teams of 3.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Glenn is hosting and judging the Redemption challenges. He says they are competing for a chance to get cast on the next season. I guess they won't get back into this season?? That surprised me.

I like the redemption challenge. It's scaled back and they show how the face appliance / makeup process works.

http://syfy.com/videos/Face%20Of...f%20Redemption

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelq View Post
It was interesting that in Anthony's design, they praised the faces he made, but not the main head - which was done by someone else.
By the time we got to the final reveal, I had forgotten who had been working on which one (except for the best and worst one). When the judges were examining that one and they showed all the detail, I said "Wow, the two extra heads look amazing -- too bad they didn't put that much work into the actual main face. Oh, wait...this is the one where Anthony did the extras and Autumn did the main one. Never mind -- main face was doomed from the start".

I really, really, reallyreallyreally hope she gets the boot next week. Nothing she does is anything above amateurish.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
This episode was definitely better than previous ones, in that it gives us hope that there might actually be meaningful competition near the end of the season, as opposed to Anthony just trouncing everyone.

And definitely not sad to see Jenna go. Not that there's any real reason to think she would have been great shakes even at 100% health, but who knows?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
Fun episode.

My immediate reaction when the pairings were announced: poor Megan, getting Jenna. Dammit Autumn got paired with Anthony, that means she'll be safe. And then her remark about not having to worry and just coast irked me.

Anthony's remark that Autumn was a strong player confused me. Did he mean opinionated? He made a remark about the best way to handle her was make her think she had more control than she did. Honestly that face wasn't horrible, though the paint on the cleft was a bit dark and overemphasized it. But he did some shaping and finishing on that one as well as the details on the body.

Great faces on the torso, judges loved them. Think how that would have turned out with someone with actual skill working with Anthony. Also, when Autumn turned to the costume and let Anthony work on the paint I thought that was an excellent split of labor, and probably a judicious misdirect on Anthony's part. Maybe he was afraid of the sewing machine, or maybe he just said that to give her something to do.

I immediately thought Eric F and Chris were biting off too much. Eric has that problem of overestimating the time and underestimating the work. They both worked fast and hard and were racing at the end to assemble at last looks, making up the costume on the fly. Not a good strategy, but they pulled it off amazingly. The concept was excellent, the scope of work was staggering, and the creativity of the little guy and the stabbing of the hand was neat. The sculpt of the heads was great. The eyes could have used some detail, and a bit more effort in costume might have been nice, but you could tell from the judges' reactions they loved it. When they actually pulled it together, you knew the win was that team and Eric because it was his concept and execution down the line.

Eric is going to face the same risk that Roy did last season, going too big and not getting done. If he can pull it in just a smidge, he will put a strong challenge to Anthony.

Poor Megan. The concept wasn't spectacular to begin with, but the double-stacked head was at least creatively unique as opposed to two heads side by side. But Jenna's injuries combined with inadequate design on how to mold the head/cowl so it would stay on, and they were headed for disaster. There was some good work in the face lost because of the edges and fail on the second head attachment, and just general incompleteness. And then there were the problems with the molding and the poor design that didn't allow separation and then didn't go back together well. At least Jenna took the heat. It's sad that she can't perform because of injury, but there's no room for someone who isn't up to the work.

House and Wayne's tree giant was pretty good. I think the torso/head looked a little too much like a puppet. I'm not sure, maybe putting structure in the torso to make it less bendy. Having the actor stand with a bit of a lean and sculpt the torso a bit to move the actor's head to the side a bit and center the heads a bit. Nice work overall.

Alam and Eric Z, just dull. The heads on feet could have been a creative concept, but the sculpt and paint was way too cheesy for the look. They were crappy, and that design decision limited the form changes that the challenge presented. Doing multiple heads up high allows some dramatic work (supergiant with 2 heads most demonstrative). Having your giant look essentially like a person with a morphed face and big feet kinda seems lame, even if the paint work had been much better. The face sculpt was just blah, the feet were dreadful.

Maybe next week Autumn won't be able to coast on someone else's skill.

Last edited by Irishman; 02-13-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
This was the least surprising and most deserved, both in the winner and loser. It was totally obvious way ahead of time who did the best and worst jobs. Sometimes the judging decision is hard, but not today.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM
I thought the heads on the feet was awful and kind of not in the spirit of what was asked. They were asked to do a multiple headed giant, not a giant that used heads for decoration. Of course, it wasn't even in the same ballpark of bad as the Jenna and Megan, a no-brainer on who has to go, i was actually hopeful that Jenna would just throw herself on her sword, but it doesn't matter.

Eric F's concept was fantastic and Chris helped pull it off brilliantly, one of my favorite all-time makeup jobs. I liked Autumn and Anthony, granted the main face wasn't showy, but I did get the sadness they wanted to convey. The tree giant was a fantastically done sculpt and pretty much only suffered from the fact it didn't really convey giant-ness (being so wide).

Good episode without a lot of suspense.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Am I missing something? Did everyone abandon this thread?

I thought they made the absolute right choice 100% agree with what they said, the firefly was fantastic, but failed ultimately the challenge and couldn't win. Alam's design was simply a horrible mishmash of poorly executed ideas. I liked Eric F's makeup in the initial challenge, but he seems to do a lot of mid-transformation type stuff, mouth or eyes growing on the side. Still the concept and execution were very strong.