Old 01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Yet another "I left it out overnight" question...

Chili, in this case. Came frozen, rethermalized (is that a word?) in its pouch. Ate some, left it out overnight (it's cold outside, of course, but naturally heated). Contains meat.

It wouldn't be a huge tragedy if I had to chuck it, but it'd be nice to just have dinner ready when I get home. Still okay? Just confirming one way or the other.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Charter Member
Heat it up, let it sit at a low boil for 5 or 10 minutes (add water if it gets too chunky), and it'll probably be fine. Probably. There is no "for sure" with food, ever.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
My husband routinely leaves chili out overnight. He does exactly what Athena says every time and it's always been fine.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
We routinely leave stuff like that out overnight. We tend to eat leftovers for breakfast and lunch. We just put a lid on it and heat it up in the morning.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Another vote for eat it.

It's chili...the peppers probably killed anything that might have grown.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Charter Member
Well, this chili is very mild... I don't know what spices and peppers, and in what amounts, were used to make it. Thus the question.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I think it tastes better after being left out all night.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM
I'd eat it. I've left spaghetti sauce and meatballs out all night and we've eaten that, too. And pizza, and fried chicken. It's a wonder we're still alive without the lifesaving refrigerator working its magic on food overnight, but there it is. If it was hot sweaty humid summer, maybe not.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
I probably wouldn't eat it if it was left out for only a few hours, let alone overnight. But then I'm cautious - bordering on the paranoid - about food poisoning.

My BF, however, believes it would safe, just put it in the microwave a little extra time and that will kill anything and make it safe to eat.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM
If it has beans in it, don't eat it, you could die. Doesn't matter if you leave it out or not.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauvaise View Post
My BF, however, believes it would safe, just put it in the microwave a little extra time and that will kill anything and make it safe to eat.
I eat stuff that's been left out overnight all the time, so long as it has been covered. I'm not paranoid about that.

But if you are paranoid, I should think that leaving it in the microwave "a little extra time" would be a terrible idea. A microwave is essentially a steamer that creates steam using the water inside the food. So microwaving something for a few extra seconds would just dry out the food a little more without killing anything. Boiling it for a bit is a much better idea, I think.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't reheat via microwave, I'd put it in a pot, add some water, and simmer for a bit. I will often make something on the stove (soup/stew), leave it out overnight after dinner because it's still hot/too warm for the fridge, and then just plunk the whole pot in the fridge in the morning.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM
It sounds like a processed chili (and please don't take that as an insult). If it is? It has so much salt/sugar in it, you'll be fine. I'm very paranoid about food. Just heat it up.